Man Utd v Saints Post Match Hmmmmm.....

Secret Site Agent

Was browsing the match thread without being logged in...

...God, I forgot what all these **** jockeys I normally have on my ignore list are like. You might be Saints and I'll fight for you til my last, but you are a bunch of whinging d!cks. Now I'm logged in you are all back on ignore.

Gutted about the result, but we looked more than alright. Liked the new pasa heavy system, players seemed happy with it. We will win a lot of games this season playing like that. Okay, yeah, another attacking outlet would do the confidence the world of good.

Our Travelling Fans in fine voice as ever. Well done to them too. Our online fans should take note.

Totally agree, I left this wrist slitters forum alone while watching the match and thought we did OK. Can't believe (or maybe I can!) the slagging off by the usual suspects on here. This forum is really being spoilt by a few posters (who in general post the most) who haven't got a clue about football or life in general!

Easy one to assess really. We competed well but not at all clinical up front. If we had been clinical up front in the first half, it could have been a different outcome. We're definitely missing "something" in the team at the moment .... really good in areas and weak in others. Positives to take though - Man Utd do have a lot of quality in that team and they didn't exactly smash us.

What constitutes me being a "troll"? A different opinion to you? All I've seen you post is fluffed up rubbish with no substance. This is a football forum for opinions mate. Get used to it or give your own opinion instead of insulting others

Read up, I gave my opinion already..... Your own opinions,however seem to be based on all the gems of past threads....especially the one about Kat running the club as a business....sure, it's an opinion as valid as any other, but when posted in a post match thread, it's just trolling. Try to keep on topic.

This formation is totally sterile. Whilst the stats will show we had loads of possession and completed passes it was all in areas where Utd were quite happy to let us have the ball. We looked toothless and did not even win a single corner or force their keeper to make one decent save. Too many small players and not enough pace and power - as soon as they turned the ball over they went for us and with better finishing they could have scored a couple more. It's not acceptable to just pass for the sake of it with no cutting edge or threat. Will be a difficult season unless we bring in 2-3 quality players. Oh and Redmond is no Thierry Henry that's for sure.

Pretty fair assessment, although not certain all is lost with current squad. Have to agree about Redmond.

Pretty much all of the above really.Fully expected defeat tonight but overall fairly pleased with the performance,I'don't like to see J Rod and Austin start against Sunderland,Long works hard but doesn't quite look like he's at his best yet and I think Redmond is going to seriously frustrate me if he continues up front.Strangely I've come away from a defeat feeling more confident about the season now.

Jose saying the closed diamond system didn't cause them any problems and we never troubled them.

We got in behind them often enough but with no strikers - Long pushed wide - there wasn't enough for Utd to worry about.

I saw enough there to build on with an active last few days of the window in forward areas but the club need to invest if this is the preferred formation of the manager. The current wide and forward options don't fit.

Shame - we were great to watch in the second half of last season. Any chance we can actually play to our strengths.

Also noted Long's displeasure when substituted - clearly Puel still trying to make his mark with the squad.

Read up, I gave my opinion already..... Your own opinions,however seem to be based on all the gems of past threads....especially the one about Kat running the club as a business....sure, it's an opinion as valid as any other, but when posted in a post match thread, it's just trolling. Try to keep on topic.

Fair point.

On reflection we are 2-3 players short. I thought tadic and van dijk did ok but we need more

My point about katarina is she clearly doesn't want to invest. I'm not the only saints fan frustrated at lack of ambition.

Pretty much all of the above really.Fully expected defeat tonight but overall fairly pleased with the performance,I'don't like to see J Rod and Austin start against Sunderland,Long works hard but doesn't quite look like he's at his best yet and I think Redmond is going to seriously frustrate me if he continues up front.Strangely I've come away from a defeat feeling more confident about the season now.

Obviously I meant i'd like to see J Rod and Austin start next week typing error.

Not making any clear cut chances, and don't look like taking any half chances. United didn't have to be any good, and weren't, for a comfortable evening.

We'll be fine, we should be way too good for the poorer sides, but we're weak where it counts.

People will probably have a go at those picking on Targett, but he needs to be in the Championship. He always gets roasted against anyone half decent or with pace. Redmond frustrating, Højbjerg very good.

Would have been another game with Bertrand at the left back. Targett did what one could expect of him, but wasn't good enough. Cedric poor aswell.

Thought Clasie had a good game except for the penalty, a cheap one. Höjbjerg, Tadic and VvD great. Fonte good. Davies, Redmond and long okey.

There's potential there if we can add some spice to the final third. Didn't think much of Utd. Aside from there two goals it was relatively even.

Utd looked no better than us for most of the match tbh but they have Ibrahimovic and we have Long. Not saying it's Long's fault it's just the difference having a world renowned galactico up front can and will make.

Fair point.

On reflection we are 2-3 players short. I thought tadic and van dijk did ok but we need more

My point about katarina is she clearly doesn't want to invest. I'm not the only saints fan frustrated at lack of ambition.

I understand that, but personally, I don't see it as a lack of ambition. I see it more as they are trying to find a new way through. One that doesn't simply involve throwing a ton of cash at every little problem. However, I've been wrong before. That's why the village burned my first wife.

I really don't like this system we play in. Like why is Tadic dropping back on the pitch to collect the ball? There's nobody on the wings... It just doesn't make sense.

United seemed happy to give us possession of the ball by times and we really didn't do anything with it. We were passing the ball around without any treat what so ever. We seriously lack creativity and height and power on the midfield.

Hojbjerg, who looks like a improved version of Clasie, and VVD played well but otherwise a lot of players didn't look great or even bad like Targett, Redmond and Davis.

It's clear we lost a lot of quality.

Sounded defensive to me. Forster had no more real saves to make than De Gea.

Apart from the two that went in of course!

Hojberg and VvD both played well. Tadic, Targett and Cedric had their moments. Redmond and Long, to a slightly lesser degree, looked afraid of shooting.

De Gee really didn't have a save to make. Lots of possession from us, mostly in our own half/mid-third; lots of passing by us, mostly sideways and backwards; completely toothless up front. Pretty similar to last week in many ways.

For me, the signs so far are not good. We are 5 points down on last season (match by match basis) already.

For those saying everything is looking good, we'll be fine, etc, what, in particular, makes you think this?

To me we do not look a brave team that is willing to take a few risks to create openings and chances. I just hope we are not going to spend the whole season playing this system because for me it is almost cheating and giving a false impression of whether we are actually any good or not. Much prefer a pressing game where you try to turn the ball over in the opposition half but I fear we are in for some pretty turgid football in the coming months. More bravery and risk taking required - no risk no reward was very evident tonight.

Apart from the two that went in of course!

Hojberg and VvD both played well. Tadic, Targett and Cedric had their moments. Redmond and Long, to a slightly lesser degree, looked afraid of shooting.

De Gee really didn't have a save to make. Lots of possession from us, mostly in our own half/mid-third; lots of passing by us, mostly sideways and backwards; completely toothless up front. Pretty similar to last week in many ways.

For me, the signs so far are not good. We are 5 points down on last season (match by match basis) already.

For those saying everything is looking good, we'll be fine, etc, what, in particular, makes you think this?

That's complete garbage considering its only the second game of the season. To indulge your pointless little game, we're also on the same amount of points as this time last season.

We've just played man u, a team everyone on here was expecting to give us a hiding. Now that people have been made to look a bit silly, the goalposts have been quietly moved. We need greater quality and composure in the final third; but there are plenty of positives to take from tonight's performance - as a matter of fact, we threatened more tonight than we did last season at OT. Next week will tell us much more.

For a formation that relies on the fullbacks even more than we did under Koeman, I'm not sure we've got the players. Even when Bertrand comes back, I don't expect him to suddenly tip the scales - he's a great defender and pops up with one or two assists, but constantly bombing forward isn't his game (he's averaged less than one cross per game for us over two years). Cedric gets forward pretty well, but doesn't he seem to balloon a high percentage of crosses?

As for the midfield (Hojbjerg aside, who was neutralised by having to play at the base of the diamond) we don't have ball carriers, so both passing and movement are pretty slow and static. We could really use a player that the opposition are scared to see on the ball - someone who has the potential to take people on create overloads and gets their defense shuffling backwards.

Redmond and Long both made some good runs in the channels, and with better support and movement from the fullbacks and central midfield, could have created a platform for us to build more than half chances. As it is, there's a disconnect between midfield and strikers, and it's there that the problem lies. Buying another target man who won't get service is not the answer.

From what I can see from other forums they think Saints are shot and on their way down. Maybe they all just bought into the Manc ****fest?

Either way, so far all I've seen is reinforcement of what I've said previously and I would like to not see that. I note that Puel said that he was very surprised at how Watford play and their long-ball/physical approach and apparently said he didn't understand how teams could play like that. If he does not adapt to the English way of playing (and fuget his stubbornness; he's there to get it right) we are going to remain lightweight against a large number of teams and when we play teams that have a lot of possession or play a high press we are going to get battered if they're on their game.

I reckon we'll draw against Sunderland even though we get an extra day's rest.

I don't think the players buy the diamond, and I don't think it fits our team. Why does Puel push it? I'd like to see us start the next game with the team we ended with (except Long for JRod). We seemed more offensive and our offensive scorers are on the field at least. Still not clear on Puels fasination with Redmond as a striker. He looks good wide, in space, but weak around the goal. Should be a mid. We are ridiculous in this formation trying to cross to Long and Redmond. It takes a major part of any teams offense out.

I haven't seen enough game time to agree or disagree, but the board must surely have considered CPs tactical ideas beforehand?

Ditch the diamond or he'll end up getting sacked. We have probably only one natural goal scorer in the squad and he's sat on the bench because he doesn't suit the formation.

You build a formation around your important players, not the other way round

Totally agree. Long did well last year because he fed off Mane and Pelle. Not the same this season. We need some ambition in the transfer window or it is going to be a long season. Not happy with Puel's response when Long came off.

Totally agree. Long did well last year because he fed off Mane and Pelle. Not the same this season. We need some ambition in the transfer window or it is going to be a long season. Not happy with Puel's response when Long came off.

Hang on a sec, a lot of the argument last year was having Pelle and Long in the same team and how it didn't work. So, now it did?

Thought we did alright. Mistake for the first goal, much more pressure on Rooney needed. If I'm honest thought there was a slight clip on Shaw's foot from Clasie wished pushed his back leg forward and caused him to trip on his other leg, but he did go down easy.

Hojberg and VVD were very good, Tadic was up and down but his role in this team is to take risks and create chances so no complaints from me when it doesn't work out. In this system he is our main man and his form will be key. Clasie isn't as bad as people make out, but he doesn't offer a lot really. Spends too much time passing sideways.

Thought up front we were woeful though. poor finishing, lack of willingness to shoot and Austin out wide? WTF? Utd realised we couldn't break them down so were happy to sit back and let us pass it about in front of their defence. 180 minutes of football and we haven't really created a clear cut chance where we've worked the keeper. Slightly worrying but not panicking just yet.

I must say I don't understand the whole diamond thing. At the moment don't think it suits anyone. More to the point during the tenures of our last 3 managers we've been very much a 4-3-3 side. Yes, we mixed it up occasionally when needed, but as a rule of thumb we played 4-3-3. And the club seemed so proud of this, playing it throughout the age groups and ramming it down our throats how important it was. Now we employ a manager who is obviously not going to play that way? who is known for a completely different system? Just seems odd to me.

I am not sure if the diamond is a good formation or not. My issue is we have a 6th place team here, and Puel comes in and just institutes the new formation. What about how we got to 6th place? For those saying we can make it work if we get this and that, to me its not the point. Why do we have to get this and that, so in 2 years we can get 6th again? Why not play the way the current players understand and can succeed at, and then tweak things from there?

Puel says after the game that the formation/set up is not the problem. The players will get it right and the goals will come

Presumably we aren't yet performing in quite the way he wants us too. I very much doubt he wants us so impotent!

The big question is will he be able to get us playing the way he wants.

Early days though.

We looked pretty good in spells - passing was a bit off and for this sort of game a target man would have been good.

But, it's a loss at old Trafford - what do you expect. They have good players and, whilst not very creative, where ruthless in taking their chances.

Sunderland is big - need to give them another 8-1.

Driving back up and didn't enjoy watching much of that. Passing was poor and we leave spaces all over the park.

We don't commit enough players forward when attacking and think we will struggle to score many goals until that's resolved

We made Man United look a great side and they won that comfortable