Sunderland Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Personally I would consider (depending on fitness) with the same team but J Rod and Austin up front. We will have plenty of possession and Sunderland aren't likely to come and play for a result giving loads of gaps behind, so Long and Redmond may struggle to find space.

Redmond/Long could be brought on fresh in the second half once we were leading :-) and they had to chase the game/were getting tired, creating the space for them.

Think this Sunderland side will come for a draw and be a tough nut to crack with Moyes at the helm. They nearly did us last year, but for a late equaliser, reckon this will be tougher than most people expect due to the Puel formation. 1-1.

Would like to see J Rod and Austin start up front rather than the usual 10 minutes they get at the end,leave Long on the bench.This will be another close game but think we should just edge it.Is it too early to call this a must win game ?

Change of formation required. And this possession based play with silly amounts of back-passing needs to stop - it's ugly to watch and gets us nowhere.

I'd go with

-------------Forster-------------

Cedric---Fonte---VvD---Targett

-------Hojbjerg----Davis-------

---Redmond---Tadic---J-Rod---

--------------Austin-------------

Bench: McA, Pied, Yoshida/Bertrand, JWP, Romeu/Reed, Clasie, Long

I'd be surprised if Puel runs something other than his beloved diamond. Frankly if it doesn't work against Sunderland I can't see it working against any team. I predict many completed passes around midfield, and Puel gloating about our possession percentages.

Having said that I'd like to see us try something new, putting players where they fit. Something more like a 4-4-1-1/4-4-2 with

Forster

Cedric, VVD, Fonte, Targett

Redmond, Pierre, Davis, Tadic

Long

Austin

I think we'll lose 1 nil, having 70% possession but few chances and Defoe will get one late on. Puel will pick the same formation with the same front two who will struggle to find space in behind with S'land defending deep. Puel comes across as incredibly stubborn and I don't think the diamond is going anywhere anytime soon, nor do I think he has any interest in getting Austin in the team.

Hope I'm wrong

Would be nice to get a clean sheet but can see a certain Mr Defoe having a different opinion.

Wish I shared some of the optimism of other posters but just a touch sceptical so gunna guess a 1-1. A few more games before jumping to any judgement but early impressions different to those of Koeman certainly.

Pied is not worth a start. We need to put our solid defence back in place.

Pied isn't even as good as Yoshida yet or Puel would have started him last week.

So no thanks.

Difficult to see what Puel can do without a decent attaching midfielder, reliable striker and decent defending midfielder.

Sunderland will nullify the Redmond/Long midfield attack. But Puel will stick with it.

Hard to see us scoring two goals at the best of times.

Sunderland should pip this.

(Unless we get 3 superstars and a new manager)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pied isn't even as good as Yoshida yet or Puel would have started him last week.

So no thanks.

But Puel doesn't have a clue according to you, so he should be amazing?

So no thanks.

Difficult to see what Puel can do without a decent attaching midfielder, reliable striker and decent defending midfielder.

Sunderland will nullify the Redmond/Long midfield attack. But Puel will stick with it.

Hard to see us scoring two goals at the best of times.

Sunderland should pip this.

(Unless we get 3 superstars and a new manager)

You know Pied is a RB right? I'd play Pied or Martina. Cedric is poor.

Hard one to call, other than the 8-0 game we often seem to struggle at home to Sunderland, I can see this being a one game and if it goes the wrong way for us I expect the short tempered members of our fan base to begin aiming discontent at 'clueless Claude'

We definitely need the first goal

0-1 Defoe.

Loads of possession for us. Miss chances. Don't score.

Full on melt down on here.

(Please win Saints)

Well put it this way, we should be in for a dramatic and exciting season, but at the opposite end of the table from last year.

If this happens we can only go with it. The thing is not to fear relegation and blow big sums of money on players that do not do the business. This is what the likes of P**** and QPR, Newcastle have done and look where it got them.

I would rather see us try and get by with what we have got and blood some academy players in the knowledge that if we go down we have the finances to avoid a full blown crisis. I think Norwich City have got it about right and we are a similar sized club.

We can clear out the deadwood and rebuild a young fresh and exciting team. These things go round in cycles, of course if we do the above and stay up, then it is simply a bonus.

I think I'd go with

---------Forster

Cedric-Fonte-Van Dijk-Bertrand/Targett

------Romeu/Hjobjerg

Davis------------------Hojbjerg/Tadic

-----------Redmond

----Long------------Rodriguez

First choices Bertrand, Romeu, Hojbjerg, and yes I'd pick Redmond in the hole ahead of Tadic in the team altogether and get Rodriguez in to give us more of a target man option to at least make defences think we MIGHT put something in the air. Given a few more appearances I might even think Hojbjerg might be an option in the hole, he seems to be the only midfielder we have who can pick a pass.

I can't see us losing, but it would be nice for us to score first to see how well the counterattacking configuration works in a situation where a team has to attack us.

Well put it this way, we should be in for a dramatic and exciting season, but at the opposite end of the table from last year.

If this happens we can only go with it. The thing is not to fear relegation and blow big sums of money on players that do not do the business. This is what the likes of P**** and QPR, Newcastle have done and look where it got them.

I would rather see us try and get by with what we have got and blood some academy players in the knowledge that if we go down we have the finances to avoid a full blown crisis. I think Norwich City have got it about right and we are a similar sized club.

We can clear out the deadwood and rebuild a young fresh and exciting team. These things go round in cycles, of course if we do the above and stay up, then it is simply a bonus.

Just **** off. That is all.

Don't really fancy playing a Moyes team in a game where, realistically, we need a win to appease the fans. Can see Defoe taking a half chance early and then us dominating possession but not being able to score. Narrow defeat or draw is what I think.

Hopefully, at the very least, our transfer dealings will be clearer but the message from Guan isn't encouraging at all.

Last year we had 2 points after 3 games:

2-2 draw with Newcastle.

Lost 3-0 to Everton.

0-0 draw with Watford.

And still managed to improve pointswise. I guess we won't be finishing in the top 10, but I think Puel has a plan and with right players we're going to improve. I don't think we looked that bad against Watford and United either, United would've won against any team that friday. What we do need though, is a clinical striker.

Fingers crossed, hope we get as many points as we can before the Europa League begins proper.

To win games we need to score goals. With the system and players we currently have that looks unlikely especially against a team that sits back with 11 players behind the ball. For the first time in 7 years I have little optimism for the season ahead unless something changes - not sure whether it's the system, the manager, better players...or a combination of all of that. But something is not right - I get the feeling there's a rift in the camp...team spirit has taken a dive I would guess.

Will be interesting to watch Sunderland v Middlesbrough now, hopefully a few injuries / suspensions for next week.

This is the view of a Sunderland fan, they lost their manager well into pre season and have been frustrated by transfer activities with Kaboul heading to Watford and Kone refusing to play. Surely a good time to play them? We also have an extra couple of days preparation and they have a midweek EFL cup game.

"Firstly I'll be there shouting whoever turns out for The Lads on Sunday.

But I've got to be honest I'm well & truly ****ed off with the latest goings on at the club.

What seemed like a real strength of togetherness after the Chelsea & Everton games last season I thought we actually had something to build on, this has seemingly turned to dust.

After the last few years of struggling to feel an affiliation or real bond with the players I thought in the likes Kaboul & Knone we the fans finally had that.

For me the club have acted very naively through out this summer (you could count to numerous mistakes prior) For me questions need to be asked about the adminstration at our club & it's ambition to build a team that compete at the level.

I'd be interested in the thoughts of other fans? For me it's very much over to you Mr Short & time is running out to sort this mess we find ourselves in."

Why so much pessimism? We have essentially lost three starting players and a fringe player. We have replaced with two quality signings, and have strengthened the squad by adding to strong backup players. I am certain we are looking to bring in at least one more attacker in during the window! The board and manager aren't idiots, they must realize we lack some attacking options.

Why so much pessimism? We have essentially lost three starting players and a fringe player. We have replaced with two quality signings, and have strengthened the squad by adding to strong backup players. I am certain we are looking to bring in at least one more attacker in during the window! The board and manager aren't idiots, they must realize we lack some attacking options.

The pessimism is because we have not spent 35 milion on a marque player and we are playing a formation that most of the fans are not used to and by the look of the first two games neither are the players.

I am not saying we should spend 35million on a player. Its just what most of the wrist slitting reprobates on here would like the club to do, without spending millions you're not progressing according to the masses. Well each to there own.

I think I am in a total minority! I thought we played really well in the first half at old Trafford with the said diamond that most hate! One move should have ended up with an open goal header for Long but cross was over hit, Long narrowly missed with De Gea well beaten and he also scuffed that dribbler! The ball should never have found Rooney for Zlatan's opener (fantastic header) and the Shaw dive effectively killed us off! Not saying the world is rosy, but with the inclusion of a new striker and CAM, I believe we have makings of an exciting side! Personal opinion yes, but I am looking forward.

Worrying that for all the different selections, tactics and opinions, no ones 11 looks remotely exciting.

This

last years team was exciting & you could see the goal threat this team just looks distinctly average & the type of football we seem to play is just as boring, i.e let's pass to each other all day long & prove we can keep possession but not really do anything with it

This

last years team was exciting & you could see the goal threat this team just looks distinctly average & the type of football we seem to play is just as boring, i.e let's pass to each other all day long & prove we can keep possession but not really do anything with it

Yeah I agree with this. What has been exciting the last few seasons is having a few players that we know are too good for us who could give the big clubs a bloody nose. Now the only players in our team who fit that description are a centre back and maybe a goalkeeper.

Can I cheat and invert the tip of the diamond?

---------------Forster---------------

Pied---Fonte---Van Dijk---Targett

---------------Romeu---------------

----------Davis----Hojbjerg----------

----Redmond------------Tadic----

---------------Austin---------------

I think I am in a total minority! I thought we played really well in the first half at old Trafford with the said diamond that most hate! One move should have ended up with an open goal header for Long but cross was over hit, Long narrowly missed with De Gea well beaten and he also scuffed that dribbler! The ball should never have found Rooney for Zlatan's opener (fantastic header) and the Shaw dive effectively killed us off! Not saying the world is rosy, but with the inclusion of a new striker and CAM, I believe we have makings of an exciting side! Personal opinion yes, but I am looking forward.

You're not alone. I was there and thought we were a striker short of giving them a bloody nose (again), but this time not in a back to the walls hit them in the 90th minute way.