Commentator phrase that annoy or nobody else says

whelk

Anything that comes out of Robbie Savage's gob.

- sh it cliches. Check.

- poor grammar. Check.

- constant self references. Check

- dubious knowledge of the rules of the game. Check

- wild usage of hyperbole. Check.

- being an annoying pr ick. Check.

I think Ron Atkinson was the first user of "early doors" presumably from the theatre / Cinema days .

Worst for me has always been Motson and his " the last thing Saints need to do is to concede a goal now , oh 0-1"

i thought that was Dave Merrington. i know, annoying whoever............

Not a phrase but when Pardew was a guest on MOTD 2 a few times, before the infamous rape comment, i saw him use "POMO". "He's got himself in the POMO there."

Before being asked by whoever was presenting, to explain what that was - Pards then delivered the explanation with a stupidly smug look as if to say check me out, i'm in the football coaching game you know and i've read an old coaching manual.

Leave it out Alan, just say he got into a good position.

("position of maximum opportunity" if you were feeling far less football educated than our man Alan)

I noticed that "massive" .....has crept into a lot of interviews - especially with Saints players ?........but can't see Claude Puel using that one too often.

.....and why is it " so-called " commentators and "so-called " football experts always delight us with their jolly stories and anecdotes about the most uninteresting events, ....and suddenly have to break off and say ....oh. there's been a goal ...

I liked the comment from the legendary Kenneth Wolstenholme....who once said that a commentator should say the very least that is necessary, and not get " in the way".

I noticed that "massive" .....has crept into a lot of interviews - especially with Saints players ?........but can't see Claude Puel using that one too often.

.....and why is it " so-called " commentators and "so-called " football experts always delight us with their jolly stories and anecdotes about the most uninteresting events, ....and suddenly have to break off and say ....oh. there's been a goal ...

I liked the comment from the legendary Kenneth Wolstenholme....who once said that a commentator should say the very least that is necessary, and not get " in the way".

Its even worse when its radio commentary. What I need is a good factual description of the action. What I get is random tweets being read out or Adam Blackmore talking about something completely unrelated to the match. At least on telly I can see with my own eyes the action on the radio commentary needs to be spot on.

EFL - What the fook is this, we're not american so get rid of this desire to make everything an acronym of what it should be. uuurrrgh

I agree, we should call everything Checkatrade instead. :)

I'm about to embark on a lengthy rant about the word "Premiership" too, but at least commentators know not to use it even if for some reason footballers don't.

Managers now refer to what used to be the Team as 'this Group'.

Every player who is transferred claims that 'it was a no-brainer' when he heard so and so was interested'

And every new appointment talks about the "project".

Commentators/pundits demanding "consistency" in one breath and then demanding referees show "common sense" or "allow the game to keep flowing" in the next breath.

You can have consistency OR discretion. Pick one.

Edited by SaintBobby

Posted last night on the Euro thread, but thought worth sharing on here.

West Ham going out of the Europa league at the final whistle Darke pipes up "thats a shock no one saw coming"........ really? the form book on previous meetings said otherwise. Astra beat Steaua to the Romanian championship. Or was the comment lead by the fact that Romania is seen as lesser country because some folks in the countryside still take a horse and cart to get to work, and by comparison West Ham are from a first world country, especially housed in their new shiny Fairy Castle.

Fits in with Peter Dreary's favourite "United had a bad day at the office"..... no they didn't the other team of 11 men played better than them.

Posted last night on the Euro thread, but thought worth sharing on here.

West Ham going out of the Europa league at the final whistle Darke pipes up "thats a shock no one saw coming"........ really? the form book on previous meetings said otherwise. Astra beat Steaua to the Romanian championship. Or was the comment lead by the fact that Romania is seen as lesser country because some folks in the countryside still take a horse and cart to get to work, and by comparison West Ham are from a first world country, especially housed in their new shiny Fairy Castle.

Fits in with Peter Dreary's favourite "United had a bad day at the office"..... no they didn't the other team of 11 men played better than them.[/quote]

....and don't I hate that phrase, too. It denegrates the winning efforts of " the other team " down to " the bad luck of the all-conquering United ". UGH !

MU deserve to lose a few games - if only to remind everyone that Leicester can also win a title.

Not so much the terms he uses, but Jonathon Pearce on MOTD, when he tries to use the correct pronunciation of foreign players names.....I die inside each time. He says Cazorla like he has a lisp!

Mate, you're English. Say everyone else's name wrong like the rest of us!

There was a chap that was a friend of my Uncles who used to fly seafires with him during the war who used to work for the BBC pronounceation unit. After correcting us children he used to tell wonderful stories about correcting pronunciations of players venues and even countries for Match of the day pundits during the the 70 and 80 's. He used to berate them for their incorrect expressions like 'the boy done good' and they would write up long proses to try and eradicate it.

Last night on 505 one of the ex-footballer pundits said: "They're not going to win the league at this point in time. Firstly it is impossible to win the league at about 20.00 on a Friday in August, and if he meant "this season" why didn't he say that.

"At this point in time" is a very long winded and extremely stupid way of saying "now", and I just cannot understand its attraction to the semi-literate; even more annoying is that occasionally otherwise intelligent people use it.

One of my other pet hates is :"I've seen them given." A particularly silly way of describing a close decision, that usually comes down to the opinion of the referee.

A semantic pedant, and I'm very glad to see that I'm not alone.

Early doors was Big Ron Atkinson first, which suggests it goes way back. He was using it when Hoddle was still playing, for some reason it became a football version of "early days".

I basically hate anything Jonathan Pearce says, and rather than having a problem with specific phrases it's the overall desperate need to try and make events match a pre-formed narrative that annoys me. Viz Paul Pogba apparently being superb on Friday when my eyes told me he made 2 decent runs in tight space and gave the ball away A LOT for a bloke in a defensive midfield position.

I listen regularly to the excellent Guardian Football Weekly podcast, they have a routine whereby if anyone attempts to talk about "narrative", they play the "narrative klaxon" - basically a really annoying noise to highlight the faux pas.

Martin Tyler droning on, reading from a prepared script of historical facts about various players, attempting to sound knowledgable, but in reality being a google-bore and ignoring the action on the pitch half the time. Sometimes he has to interrupt himself to mention, in a half-asleep voice, that the ball is in the back of the net.

Anything that comes out of Robbie Savage's gob.

- sh it cliches. Check.

- poor grammar. Check.

- constant self references. Check

- dubious knowledge of the rules of the game. Check

- wild usage of hyperbole. Check.

- being an annoying pr ick. Check.

The things Savage is most guilty of are massively overreacting and enormously blinkered bias. I'd rather listen to elderly people chew.

Martin Tyler droning on, reading from a prepared script of historical facts about various players, attempting to sound knowledgable, but in reality being a google-bore and ignoring the action on the pitch half the time. Sometimes he has to interrupt himself to mention, in a half-asleep voice, that the ball is in the back of the net.

He's also the one responsible for perpetuating the myth that we won 6-3 against Man U in the grey kit match because he uses the same stat sheet year on year and us against them is always on the box.

• 2 weeks later...