Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Who was the last saints player that was brought in (that wasn't a youngster) that did not have a good first season and then suddenly became brilliant? If nothing happens after 1-2 seasons safe to say it is not happening. Potential and moments are all well and good but have to lead to delivery and with the premier league competitiveness for survival (Or is that their are a lot of terrible/average teams of similar dreadfulness) you cant wait that long for someone to deliver if you are paying good money, because you can use that place, wages and transfer fee on someone else. If you are wanting to use patience for players to develop it should be the ones coming through our academy.

Its not like every player we sign is going to be a Mane or VVD, but we have to accept that some are going to be an Osvalso and move them along instead of waiting for them to "come" good.

Of all the players last season, the one that genuinely excited me was Boufal. He tried things. He lost the ball, but he fought hard to get it back. His skill is not in question, so that would then come down to application and attitude.

The fact he’s back in training with the 1st team looks promising, although that does not mean he’ll not be sold if a decent bid comes in. Hope he reaches his full potential with Hughes this season because I think he has something special to offer.

Yes, so do I. For those questioning his assist numbers; I don't have the stats but cast your mind back to the incredible control he showed before cutting back for Romeu to score. That was one of the best Saint's assists of the season. He is a ridiculously gifted player.

I’m in two minds about Boufal. On the one hand I think it would be difficult to find a player as naturally gifted for the money we paid for him. He is one of those players that, in flashes, has the tantalising prospect of being a world-beater. Given he hasn’t really demonstrated any consistency at all, and is generally quite maddening, it’s currently hard to see him achieving that, but then none of our attacking players have covered themselves in glory over the past two seasons. Maybe a fresh start with Hughes, in a less stultifying system, will be the kick-start he needs.

However if we get a decent offer for him this window (given we are always knocking back enquiries!) then you’d have to look at the likes of Gaston, who never really kicked on, and say the reward may outweigh the risk involved. Difficult one. I’ll get off the fence at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they have made up then I think that Sofiane will realise he finally has a manager who wants him to play and build an attacking side and become a dynamic attacking force.

After 2 managers of constant possession and slow build ups he may now have a chance to show what he is about.

If they have made up then I think that Sofiane will realise he finally has a manager who wants him to play and build an attacking side and become a dynamic attacking force.

After 2 managers of constant possession and slow build ups he may now have a chance to show what he is about.

Yeah. I'm happy to go with Hughes's opinion on this.

I do have my doubts about Sofiane's mentality though.

Not sure you can read much into him being back into training, any club that buys him will want him to have a full pre-season. I suspect his agent is still looking for a move.

I suppose the issue is similar to Clasie, Tadic etc. The PL clubs riches work both ways, if your player is not going to another PL club or a big European club most of the others don't have £10 - 20 million to splash out, that is how we get them in the first place. So when we want to off load these players back to Europe, there are not many options.

He has had plenty of chances and not really taken them. Under three different managers he hasn't been able to hold down a 1st team spot that doesn't happen if you are playing well, training well and show a good attitude.
I agree. We had exactly the same comments as above regarding Gaston when he was here, "needs more of a run in the team" etc. In my opinion he has had his chances like everyone else, but clearly has not impressed enough to get ahead of the likes of Redmond and Tadic.

He may prove me wrong (hope he does) but I would rather we move him on now if we can and get in someone fresh with a better attitude and more drive to succeed in the premier league.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I agree. We had exactly the same comments as above regarding Gaston when he was here, "needs more of a run in the team" etc. In my opinion he has had his chances like everyone else, but clearly has not impressed enough to get ahead of the likes of Redmond and Tadic.

He may prove me wrong (hope he does) but I would rather we move him on now if we can and get in someone fresh with a better attitude and more drive to succeed in the premier league.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

When he isn't nailing a 1st team place ahead of the likes of Tadic and Redmond even when they where going through very poor patches of form, there is something wrong. It is easy to just put it down to manager incompetence but to me it suggests a poor attitude that rubs managers up the wrong way.

He has had plenty of chances and not really taken them. Under three different managers he hasn't been able to hold down a 1st team spot that doesn't happen if you are playing well, training well and show a good attitude.

JWP plays well*, trains well and shows a good attitude and he hasn’t been able to hold down a 1st team spot under the past 5 managers.

(*apparently)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

God, what a wet bunch of supporters we’ve got. The bloke refused to warm up when we were absolutely desperate and you’re still all gooey eyed over him. Blokes a complete and utter waste of space, he had a run of starts after the WBA game & did **** all. Stop making excuses for the show pony.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

God, what a wet bunch of supporters we’ve got. The bloke refused to warm up when we were absolutely desperate and you’re still all gooey eyed over him. Blokes a complete and utter waste of space, he had a run of starts after the WBA game & did **** all. Stop making excuses for the show pony.

Refusing to warm up is just a rumour that Boufal has flat out denied. As far as I'm aware, the club have never said anything official on the matter. I'm sure there was an argument about Boufal's attitude that got him into trouble, but the whole refusing-to-do-his-job thing just sounds like catnip gossip designed to excite the bigots among the fanbase.

He’s clearly a talented player, you’d be stupid to suggest otherwise. Wether he’s suited to the PL/English football is another argument and on the balance of things you’d have to say no. However, he’s played under arguably our 2 worst/most defensive managers in recent times and IMO puel / Pell stunted any ability from our attacking players.

All in all, from what I’ve heard he’s actually a decent lad as well. I hope Hughes gives him a second chance. The thought of an on form Boufal with someone similar the other side is pretty exciting.

If he does stay, really is time for him to step up.

Refusing to warm up is just a rumour that Boufal has flat out denied. As far as I'm aware, the club have never said anything official on the matter. I'm sure there was an argument about Boufal's attitude that got him into trouble, but the whole refusing-to-do-his-job thing just sounds like catnip gossip designed to excite the bigots among the fanbase.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/apr/26/sofiane-boufal-southampton-mark-hughes-bust-up

Depends how much you believe what you read and if these quotes are accurate. Of course the club aren't going to say anything, much like they didn't with the whole Osvaldo incident.

God, what a wet bunch of supporters we’ve got.

**** Forum hard man ALERT **** :lol: stand back people

The bloke refused to warm up

Did he?

giphy.gif

he had a run of starts after the WBA game

He was given the full 90 in 1 of our next 11 games after the WBA goal. In fact he never played in two full consecutive games all season (or the season under Puel)

giphy.gif

If he's apologised and gets his head down that's fine by me. With Tadic gone who rarely if ever got injured we're going to need at least 2 players to replace his goals and assists

He’s clearly a talented player, you’d be stupid to suggest otherwise. Wether he’s suited to the PL/English football is another argument and on the balance of things you’d have to say no.

This is it for me. I don’t really care how talented he is in France, Spain, Switzerland or wherever, he may just as well be talented at Basketball. Until we move the club and play in a league he’s talented in, he’s pretty much a waste of time for us. I’m willing to give anyone a second chance, but if you’re not good enough you’re not good enough. Nothing I’ve seen from him and nothing I’ve seen in Hughes coaching career ( in terms of developing Mavericks ala Bally with Matt), makes me think he’ll come good. If he does I’ll be the first to put my hands up and say I was wrong.

He was injured a lot in the first season which obviously disrupted him, and then when he was fully fit played under a dour negative Pellegrino, probably got frustrated with his first two seasons and that boiled over. IF he knuckles down and works with Hughes, he can be a big player for us, if he decides that is what he wants to do.

My gut feeling still is that he will head to France, but he's still young so I can't imagine we'd be willing to take a loss on him, and very few French clubs have the resources to afford him. Maybe a loan deal of some sort.

Good to see him back. Fresh start and all. Hopefully we make use of his talents and he turns situation around.

Might disappoint a few in here the like of LIGHTHOUSE and co but their obsessions about him in particular will mean nowt if he starts tearing it up this season.

Hopefully Hughes gets him going again.

Get shaqiri in too!

Good to see him back. Fresh start and all. Hopefully we make use of his talents and he turns situation around.

Might disappoint a few in here the like of LIGHTHOUSE and co but their obsessions about him in particular will mean nowt if he starts tearing it up this season.

Hopefully Hughes gets him going again.

Get shaqiri in too!

I have no doubt Boufal will absolutely rip it up this season. In Ligue 1.

The fact he’s back in training with the 1st team looks promising, although that does not mean he’ll not be sold if a decent bid comes in. Hope he reaches his full potential with Hughes this season because I think he has something special to offer.

Pretty much my opinion word for word, that.

]If he's apologised and gets his head down that's fine by me[/b]. With Tadic gone who rarely if ever got injured we're going to need at least 2 players to replace his goals and assists

Let's not forget that we let Puncheon get back on the bus (with an oar in his hand).

Yep.

His work here is done.

Hope we stop buying pretty ineffective egos like him and The Gash.

Complete wastes of money

No club has ever bought players that didn't work out. None. Not one. Never happens. Only us.

12m probably best we could get

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

yep best to just get rid for what ever reason he hasn't worked out. I've got a feeling the club is trying to trim the squad and the wage bill this summer plenty more deadwood to get rid of yet though.

12m probably best we could get

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Can you please post a screenshot as I get...

This account's Tweets are protected.

Only confirmed followers have access to @reluctantnicko's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.

... and I don't want to follow them, thanks.

Can you please post a screenshot as I get...

This account's Tweets are protected.

Only confirmed followers have access to @reluctantnicko's Tweets and complete profile. Click the "Follow" button to send a follow request.

... and I don't want to follow them, thanks.

The gist of it is that Nice have made a £12m offer for Boufal.