Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Ings hasn’t looked sharp through whole pre season. I haven’t seen every single minute mind but I would love to know what Liverpool had him doing because when he came here, he was sharp, dynamic and looking a real threat throughout the initial few games.

I’m inclined to play Adams through middle and Boufal and Redmond either side for now

If we got a decent cb in, I would play him alongside Bednarek. Bertrand and Valery outside, with Hojbjerg, Romeu and Ward-Prowse in midfield

Ideally a solid midfield engine man like Kalvin Phillips alongside Hojbjerg and Upamecano alongside Bednarek would’ve had us back to challenging for best of the rest

Imagine:

Gunn/McCarthy

Valery/Maehle

Upamecano

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Bertrand/Vokins

Hojbjerg

Phillips

Romeu

Reed

Jwp/Armstrong/Slattery/Hesketh

Boufal/Redmond/Djeneppo/Sims

Adams/Ings/Obafemi/Long

Forster

Soares

Stephens

Hoedt

Lemina

Elyounnousi

Austin

Carrillo

If we got a decent cb in, I would play him alongside Bednarek. Bertrand and Valery outside, with Hojbjerg, Romeu and Ward-Prowse in midfield

Ideally a solid midfield engine man like Kalvin Phillips alongside Hojbjerg and Upamecano alongside Bednarek would’ve had us back to challenging for best of the rest

Imagine:

Gunn/McCarthy

Valery/Maehle

Upamecano

Bednarek

Vestergaard

Yoshida

Bertrand/Vokins

Hojbjerg

Phillips

Romeu

Reed

Jwp/Armstrong/Slattery/Hesketh

Boufal/Redmond/Djeneppo/Sims

Adams/Ings/Obafemi/Long

Forster

Soares

Stephens

Hoedt

Lemina

Elyounnousi

Austin

Carrillo

I expect we'd do quite well if we fielded a team with 14 players.

I'm struggling to make sense of that team from the way it is structured. The way the players are listed does look like you're suggesting a starting XIV

Looks like he's suggesting a 6-4-3/4-6-3 to me.

It seems a solid choice, we should be able to cover well defensively, control the midfield, and carve out lots of chances with it.

----------------------Gunn-------------------------

---Upmenaco---Bednarek---Yoshida---Vestergaard---

Valery-----Reed------Romeu-----Phillips-----Bertrand

--------------------Hojbjerg------------------------

------JWP---------------------------Boufal---------

---------------------Adams------------------------

Could even be more of a midfield diamond with Reed and Phillips acting as the shuttle players to support Hojbjerg while Romeu sits in front of the back 6/4 (whichever way you want to think of it). With plenty of cover, I expect that Valery and Bertrand will be able to spend most of their time in advanced positions without having to worry too much about leaving space in behind.

Personally, I think it might work even better with another flair player in JWP's spot, I think that Redmond would fit best. JWP could then take Reed's place in the middle as we have plenty of cover there.

I'd expect to win many more than we lose with that side, and quite possibly be pushing for the title by the end of the season!

Ings hasn’t looked sharp through whole pre season. I haven’t seen every single minute mind but I would love to know what Liverpool had him doing because when he came here, he was sharp, dynamic and looking a real threat throughout the initial few games.

I’m inclined to play Adams through middle and Boufal and Redmond either side for now

Perhaps the supplements wore off after a short time ?

Bednarek in echo talking about him

“Threat to defenders this season” and such like.

The Tommy Robinson element within saintsweb who get TRIGGERED each time his name is mentioned will be pleased...

Lol

Very happy he seems to be playing his way back in, although formation could be a bit tricky for him to fit into atm if we are sticking with the 3-4-3.. unless we drop Ings and play che central

Very happy he seems to be playing his way back in, although formation could be a bit tricky for him to fit into atm if we are sticking with the 3-4-3.. unless we drop Ings and play che central

Why on earth would we drop ings?....hes cost £20m you mad?...or are we assuming hes going to be injured again?

Why on earth would we drop ings?....hes cost £20m you mad?...or are we assuming hes going to be injured again?

Not saying we will do that just that in my opinion Ings would be the one that drops out more likely then Adams or redmond....

Anyway not sure what price has to do with it or why it’s mad ?

Redmond Adams boufal could work just as good if not better then Adams Ings redmond as Adams is kinda being forced a bit wide in a three where boufal and redmond are more natural wide attackers

I just watched the full 90 of the Koln game (which is available to watch on YouTube - you just need to install the free Windscribe Chrome add on and set the VPN to Germany - completely trivial)

Anyway - Boufal was really really good. Lots of clever touches which came off and put defences on the back foot, or was fouled and won us a free kick. He hardly ever gave the ball away and he *did* track back and press etc. If that had been a new signing playing their first 45 minutes for us (e.g. say Adams or Djenepo's first game) we'd have been absolutely creaming ourselves. If Ralph decides to keep him around I'll be really interested to see how he performs.

• 2 weeks later...
I just watched the full 90 of the Koln game (which is available to watch on YouTube - you just need to install the free Windscribe Chrome add on and set the VPN to Germany - completely trivial)

Anyway - Boufal was really really good. Lots of clever touches which came off and put defences on the back foot, or was fouled and won us a free kick. He hardly ever gave the ball away and he *did* track back and press etc. If that had been a new signing playing their first 45 minutes for us (e.g. say Adams or Djenepo's first game) we'd have been absolutely creaming ourselves. If Ralph decides to keep him around I'll be really interested to see how he performs.

He's ALWAYS tracked back and pressed, it has always been forum b011ocks that he didn't. The problem before was apparently his attitude off-pitch, not his ability on it. He did more in one shot against Sunderland and one dribble against West Brom two years ago than Elyounoussi did in the entire of last season. He also had the most successful dribbles of any player in the major leagues in Europe last season for Celta. If we can't find a way to use him we may as well give up.

Condolences to the guy for his father's passing.

Presumably because he is behind Djenpo, or Ralph thought Djenepo's pace would be a good bench option.

Also we had an extra attacker on the bench in Ings, compared to the Burnley game.

In Thursdays presser, RH said Boufal's work against the ball still needs improving.

He just tweeted this:

I want to deny any information regarding a possible transfer this summer, I'm 100% focused on my @Southamptonfc club ready and motivated to make a good season and help the club #comeonsaints

Very refreshing to hear that from a player, personally I'm a big fan and I think he'd fit in well with RH style. Seems very happy in the training pictures (* watch him FOFF to nice now!)

Very refreshing to hear that from a player, personally I'm a big fan and I think he'd fit in well with RH style. Seems very happy in the training pictures (* watch him FOFF to nice now!)

Interpreted as his move to Nice isn’t happening and he has nothing else on the table.

thats why I keep banging on about boufal, such a talent, goes past players like they are not there. every time he got the ball he beat players and caused a ton of problems. and got the nice assist for Redmond too.. its really time though to stop wasting our most talented player and get him starting

thats why I keep banging on about boufal, such a talent, goes past players like they are not there. every time he got the ball he beat players and caused a ton of problems. and got the nice assist for Redmond too.. its really time though to stop wasting our most talented player and get him starting

This.

Eventually he will be starting with Redmond and Djennepo.

Futures bright, just don’t know how long it will last