Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Redmond was just interviewed on Solent and said Ralph wants Boufal to work harder off the ball and run him self into the ground each game. Sub text being he won't start games until he shows Ralph he can do that.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Something is awry. Its VERY unusual for a player to say that about another player in a post match interview.

He did well after coming on. But that was set up for him, late on against 10 men. Can he produce for the full 90 every week? History suggests not. Deserves a chance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fairness not many players produce every week. It's easier to criticise 'show ponies' when they have a bad game but they are also the ones who more often than not can win the match.

I'm not actually sure we should be starting with Djenepo and Boufal just because they did well when they came on today, it's a simplistic view. However I think these players should also be cut some slack if they have one or two ineffective games - but it seems some people will be waiting for their opportunity to slate them if that happens.

This.

If one of your team switches off as soon as the opposition has the ball, or only makes a cosmetic effort at pressing, or will get in the vicinity of an opponent but doesn't go the extra yard to get gaol-side, then your whole press, your whole defensive shape, is flawed, or there is no pressure on a cross, or an opponent can pick out a pass - and any of these can lead to a goal against and all this happens ALL the time your opponent has the ball. This is more likely to affect the outcome than a flash of brilliance which may influence the game occasionally.

But the pity is that ANY of the squad could do this defensive activity if they have the right mind-set. But none of them have the skills Boufal has. All Ralph is asking for is that he does the (relatively) easy pressing, defensive activity when he doesn't have the ball as well as the magic he does when he does have it. Boufal has never shown the willingness to do both. Till he does, he'll continue to be a bit part player, brought on when the opposition is tired and the game is stretched.

This.

If one of your team switches off as soon as the opposition has the ball, or only makes a cosmetic effort at pressing, or will get in the vicinity of an opponent but doesn't go the extra yard to get gaol-side, then your whole press, your whole defensive shape, is flawed, or there is no pressure on a cross, or an opponent can pick out a pass - and any of these can lead to a goal against and all this happens ALL the time your opponent has the ball. This is more likely to affect the outcome than a flash of brilliance which may influence the game occasionally.

But the pity is that ANY of the squad could do this defensive activity if they have the right mind-set. But none of them have the skills Boufal has. All Ralph is asking for is that he does the (relatively) easy pressing, defensive activity when he doesn't have the ball as well as the magic he does when he does have it. Boufal has never shown the willingness to do both. Till he does, he'll continue to be a bit part player, brought on when the opposition is tired and the game is stretched.

Yeah, you're quite right. MLT was utter rubbish because he didn't close down the opposition.

Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen

Are you really comparing Boufal to MLT ?

Also if Ralph had been manager during MLT's day I'm willing to bet MLT would never have been a starter either.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Well, Boufal works far harder to win back the ball than MLT ever did, so I suppose the comparison is flawed in that sense.

However, both are flair players who can do things with a football that others can't. MLT was a far better striker of a football than Boufal. Boufal is quicker than MLT was and arguably a better dribbler (most completed dribbles in Europe last season).

The problem I had with the initial post is the assumption that Boufal is lazy (which in itself is lazy). He's always worked to get the ball back. I think it's probably more about him learning the triggers to press and the positions he has to take up to form Ralph's net. I expect this is where he had to work himself into the ground and why Ralph has all the guidelines drawn over the training pitches.

The assumption that all he has to do is close down more is the problem I have with the initial post. There is more to Ralph's work against the ball than just running about like a headless chicken.

Tbh I think boufal is vastly better then redmond and it’s nothing new he always has been, but for some reason found himself out of favour Hughes didn’t help,, boufal can beat players with ease,, redmond actually isn’t that good at going past his man but he looks good when there’s plenty of space and he can carry the ball rapidly up the pitch like he did a couple of times Saturday..but overall boufal can do the hard things with ease and can be much more creative because he has that X factor to to make things happen

I sometimes think I watch a completely different game to some people.

Well, Boufal works far harder to win back the ball than MLT ever did, so I suppose the comparison is flawed in that sense.

However, both are flair players who can do things with a football that others can't. MLT was a far better striker of a football than Boufal. Boufal is quicker than MLT was and arguably a better dribbler (most completed dribbles in Europe last season).

The problem I had with the initial post is the assumption that Boufal is lazy (which in itself is lazy). He's always worked to get the ball back. I think it's probably more about him learning the triggers to press and the positions he has to take up to form Ralph's net. I expect this is where he had to work himself into the ground and why Ralph has all the guidelines drawn over the training pitches.

The assumption that all he has to do is close down more is the problem I have with the initial post. There is more to Ralph's work against the ball than just running about like a headless chicken.

Flawed indeed. How anyone could put Boufal in the same leage as Le Tissier is beyond me. Not even close to having the same ability on the ball.

Might as well go all out and say Boufal works as hard as Messi so should start

My Christ!

Flawed indeed. How anyone could put Boufal in the same leage as Le Tissier is beyond me. Not even close to having the same ability on the ball.

He didn't compare Boufal to MLT. He made the point that they're both flair payers, and then highlighted some of the differences.

To a large extent I agree with Useful Idiot. Boufal is the most talented player in our squad by a distance. However, he's not our best player because he doesn't seem able to translate that talent to being an effective team player over 90 mins. If he could be then we've got one hell of a player.

He didn't compare Boufal to MLT. He made the point that they're both flair payers, and then highlighted some of the differences.

To a large extent I agree with Useful Idiot. Boufal is the most talented player in our squad by a distance. However, he's not our best player because he doesn't seem able to translate that talent to being an effective team player over 90 mins. If he could be then we've got one hell of a player.

I think this is pretty much on the money.

The huge difference between MLT and Boufal is their decision making. MLT was leagues ahead of Boufal in that respect. Boufal's first touch was probably as good as MLT's, and he's consistently better at taking people on because he's faster. It doesn't make him close to as effective a player, though.

Boufal works far harder off the ball than MLT ever did, though, which is my main point. Just because somebody doesn't contribute as much out of possession as another player, they can be carried by the rest of the team if they are good enough on the ball. The initial post I replied to seemed to suggest that this was never the case.

It’s been a long time since he’s had 90 minutes to be able to say this, last time he was getting starts all of our attack was struggling redmond likewise.

But creatively i don’t think there’s anyone in our side more likely to be able to change a game then him, one bit of brilliance can often be the difference and this is what he can offer

After the game I heard a Brighton fan say that Redmond was one player that he’d definitely like them to buy. What he actually said was “I think we should get Redmond”.

He never said anything about Boufal.

After the game I heard a Brighton fan say that Redmond was one player that he’d definitely like them to buy. What he actually said was “I think we should get Redmond”.

He never said anything about Boufal.

Garth Crooks picks Redmond for his team of the week. He didn’t pick Boufal. Case closed I’d say.

Without looking I'm going to guess Matip and Van Arnholt are also in there, having scored a goal.

Correct on Matip but surprisingly not van Aanholt. He also said this in the Redmond section - "This was more like the Southampton I saw at the back end of last season. They took the game to the opposition and looked dangerous on the break."

I can only assume he based his comments on the MOTD highlights, rather than watching the whole game. Absolutely pathetic really.

I suspect all of what you say is right. Redmond is very spasmodic and spends large parts of many games in anonymity.

Are you suggesting that Brighton fans have better judgement than us?

Not “us”, just the two people who currently rate Boufal above last year’s player of the season, and Saturday’s MotM. Boufal is a mercurial talent, no question, but comes nowhere near the work rate, possession retention and teamwork of Redmond. If he did, he would be a £50m player rather than most being happy to get our money back on him in the last window.

Correct on Matip but surprisingly not van Aanholt. He also said this in the Redmond section - "This was more like the Southampton I saw at the back end of last season. They took the game to the opposition and looked dangerous on the break."

I can only assume he based his comments on the MOTD highlights, rather than watching the whole game. Absolutely pathetic really.

We were ****e at the back end of last season, anyway!

Interpreted as his move to Nice isn’t happening and he has nothing else on the table.

Or an honest comment by a player who wants to do his best for the club he plays for? Why not give the lad a chance?

Why the unnecessary cynicism, Turkish?

Or an honest comment by a player who wants to do his best for the club he plays for? Why not give the lad a chance?

Why the unnecessary cynicism, Turkish?

Because it’s true. If he wants to knuckle down great but he was also looking for a move this summer. I hope He has a brilliant season for us but if he could have moved earlier on he would have

Not “us”, just the two people who currently rate Boufal above last year’s player of the season, and Saturday’s MotM. Boufal is a mercurial talent, no question, but comes nowhere near the work rate, possession retention and teamwork of Redmond. If he did, he would be a £50m player rather than most being happy to get our money back on him in the last window.

Most wanting to our money back is just standard saints web really, any player out of the first 11 automatically becomes crap even if people originally rated them super high like Gaston gabbiadini lemina etc the list goes on manager must know best..

As for last years player of the season McCarthy had the same accolades the year before but he’s apperently crap too now he’s out of the side, funny that..

it Was probably more of a case of redmond being our only half decent attacking option last year who had a unchallenged run in the side as the only real creative outlet with a bit of pace.

Because it’s true. If he wants to knuckle down great but he was also looking for a move this summer. I hope He has a brilliant season for us but if he could have moved earlier on he would have

Why should not players look to better themselves if opportunities arise? Boufal was sent out on loan because he did not fit in, so he's been quite entitled to keep his options open. Now Ralph is offering him a new chance, so good luck to him -and us. Why the negative carping, Turks?

Great game for Sofiane last night. Catch his interview on the OS, what a guy total commitment to the club and not at all arrogant as he is often portrayed to be by his critics.

He looks like he could be a star player for us this season. If Redmond is out for a few weeks this will be his big chance, he will know it and we should hope that he grasps it.

Can't count how many times he lost the ball in risky areas. Desperate to prove himself by being the hero. He worked hard, sure, but we need more than that.

First full game for us in a long while, I'm more than happy with his performance. He will get better as he fits into the side, doesn't happen overnight.

He did really well last night, and just think how much better he would’ve done had he not been scythed down by Fulham players at every opportunity. That tackle from Johanssen when Boufal was through on goal was an absolute shocker, should’ve gone for that I think.

Kinda feel like we need to be carefull with the contract situation for boufal.. if he’s showing good signs of becoming a regular and kicking on might be wise to get him tied down pretty early. Would be frustrating if he goes on to have a blinding season and then we are left in a bad position with a year remaining on his contract

• 3 months later...
Our worst performer yesterday, flattered to deceive yet again. Is there anybody still thinking he’ll come good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thought he did ok, the whole team struggled and he was no worse than Redmond. Djenepo looks better than Boufal, Redmond and anyone else that plays in that position but he did benefit from Palace tiring and there being more space.

Unfortunately Boufal is one of those players who will get criticised by certain fans as soon as he has an off day. Sure, he wasn’t great yesterday but hardly a performance that is evidence of him being a bad player.

Our worst performer yesterday, flattered to deceive yet again. Is there anybody still thinking he’ll come good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure why you thought that. Looked most likely player to unlock the door with hit runs in the first half.. done some nice linking up with Bertrand also.. tbh I think he’s way superior to redmond in every way.

Not sure why you thought that. Looked most likely player to unlock the door with hit runs in the first half.. done some nice linking up with Bertrand also.. tbh I think he’s way superior to redmond in every way.

He really didn't. He slowed everything down and lost the ball numerous times he never looked like unlocking Palace at all. Djenepo looked far more likely to make something happen in his short time on the pitch than Boufal did in the previous 65. Boufal (and it's possibly the same for Djenepo) looks his best coming on late in a game when opposition defences are knackered and stretched when ever he starts games he is disappointing.

Thought he did ok, the whole team struggled and he was no worse than Redmond. Djenepo looks better than Boufal, Redmond and anyone else that plays in that position but he did benefit from Palace tiring and there being more space.

Unfortunately Boufal is one of those players who will get criticised by certain fans as soon as he has an off day. Sure, he wasn’t great yesterday but hardly a performance that is evidence of him being a bad player.

Overall, Boufal's performances this season have been good - he was virtually "first up" from the foot injury v Palace. On the other hand, Armstrong who apart from a fine performance against Chelsea has been very patchy, and did very little when he came on as a sub on Saturday is seen my many as a "must include". They are such different players anyway - Armstrong the fast, direct straight line runner whose control and link up play isn't as good as Boufals and Boufal who can cause chaos in and around the box with trickery and touch. It's amazing how little slack Boufal gets compared to Armstrong and several other regulars (Redmond and even JWP) from many supporters.