Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

I think that's a fair summary. He could have been the yeast in a very stodgy mix but he wanted to be the whole loaf. As you say, he did work hard, used to chase and snap back defensively for example, but there was something missing, and I could never work out quite what. If he was a true goalscorer he'd have been happy with a shin in from a metre, or setting up such a goal, and if he'd been a true professional he'd have ripped up that U23 match as if to say 'look!'.

It's interesting to read what the academy player Enzo Robise says in his interview after coming over from France: how much more serious everything is here, but he seems to be relishing the challenge of leaving home and learning a new language, and that attitude seems far healthier.

I'm afraid the days when highly paid players signed from major European leagues with the expectation of being first team regulars give 100% in reserve matches are long gone. Boufal is far from the only senior player considered to have not given much of a toss when turning out for the under 23s.

I'm afraid the days when highly paid players signed from major European leagues with the expectation of being first team regulars give 100% in reserve matches are long gone. Boufal is far from the only senior player considered to have not given much of a toss when turning out for the under 23s.

There's a whole world of difference between not giving a toss, and actively trying to get yourself sent off, which is what I witnessed. And this was at a point where he needed game time - any game time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Watched Celta last night against Huesca, nice touches at times, lost possession a bit when he should have passed and took players on, should have had a goal but took an age shoot at the time, booked for arguing about not getting a foul. Subbed after 60 odd mins. 6/10.

Watched Celta last night against Huesca, nice touches at times, lost possession a bit when he should have passed and took players on, should have had a goal but took an age shoot at the time, booked for arguing about not getting a foul. Subbed after 60 odd mins. 6/10.

Pretty much sums up his game. Still miss his little bits of magic though.

He's still sh*t then. He's exactly the sort of c*nt the club should be shipping out, even for free, get rid.

• 3 months later...
Both Hoedt & Boufal start for Celta Vigo in a MASSIVE match against Villarreal.

Celta are 4pts behind them.

17.30 K.O.

Celta currently losing 1 - 2. 55 minutes gone.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2 goals and 3 assists in 28 appearances. He's really tearing up La Liga

It's not that bad though, is it? His minutes equate to just over 18 matches. So that's means every 3-4 games he either scores or sets up a goal. His average rating on whosscored makes him the 50th best performer in La Liga this season, and has the most successful dribbles per game (Messi is second).

I know stats can be misleading, so I'm not saying this is proof of him being brilliant, but if you're going to use goals & assists stats against him, I'd say there is also evidence that suggests the contrary.

It's not that bad though, is it? His minutes equate to just over 18 matches. So that's means every 3-4 games he either scores or sets up a goal. His average rating on whosscored makes him the 50th best performer in La Liga this season, and has the most successful dribbles per game (Messi is second).

I know stats can be misleading, so I'm not saying this is proof of him being brilliant, but if you're going to use goals & assists stats against him, I'd say there is also evidence that suggests the contrary.

People used a similar logic to defend Carrillo's scoring record in France. If he isn't scoring because he keeps getting dropped and subbed off early, that's a poor reflection on him and not an excuse. Having the most succesful dribbles per game and only getting 5 goals/assists out of it really is Boufal in a nutshell. All show, no end product; like entering a dressage pony in the Grand National.

I know many are saying he will be like a new player when he comes back and Ralph will get the best out of him etc. but really, this is the 4th manager in succession he has failed to perform for.

I know many are saying he will be like a new player when he comes back and Ralph will get the best out of him etc.

I don't think people are saying that as a definite. Just that of all the players currently out on loan, Boufal is the one with the most potential to improve as a result of Ralph's coaching and system, and that perhaps he should be given a chance before being written off completely.

People used a similar logic to defend Carrillo's scoring record in France. If he isn't scoring because he keeps getting dropped and subbed off early, that's a poor reflection on him and not an excuse. Having the most succesful dribbles per game and only getting 5 goals/assists out of it really is Boufal in a nutshell. All show, no end product; like entering a dressage pony in the Grand National.

I know many are saying he will be like a new player when he comes back and Ralph will get the best out of him etc. but really, this is the 4th manager in succession he has failed to perform for.

I'm not sure if he keeps getting dropped - he played the last game and looks like he played quite well.

The reason I posted all that was because Ex Lion Tamer used stats to try and say he was doing badly in Spain, but actually most of the stats suggests he isn't (even if he's not doing brilliantly).

P

To be fair that pretty much describes our whole team until Ralph Hut came along

I'd be interested to see Boufal under Ralph but, despite 2 of the managers being woeful, one not being so popular, they can't all be wrong. They are also supported and given info. from coaching staff and Ralph H made clear that he wanted team players from the outset and I don't think Boufal has the capacity - judging from afar - to adapt to that mindset. Perhaps I am wrong. I feel it's a typical case of that skilful & talented player wrapped in cotton wool and told he's brilliant from a school kid and it goes to their head. Those types are often not a team player therefore they don't actually improve the team due to their dogmatic need to play for themselves rather than the team. Purely an opinion based on scraps of info. so I can't accurately say that's fair but I am judging by the club's treatment of him and reading between the lines and the fact he was packed out on loan.

I'd be interested to see Boufal under Ralph but, despite 2 of the managers being woeful, one not being so popular, they can't all be wrong. They are also supported and given info. from coaching staff and Ralph H made clear that he wanted team players from the outset and I don't think Boufal has the capacity - judging from afar - to adapt to that mindset. Perhaps I am wrong. I feel it's a typical case of that skilful & talented player wrapped in cotton wool and told he's brilliant from a school kid and it goes to their head. Those types are often not a team player therefore they don't actually improve the team due to their dogmatic need to play for themselves rather than the team. Purely an opinion based on scraps of info. so I can't accurately say that's fair but I am judging by the club's treatment of him and reading between the lines and the fact he was packed out on loan.

Didnt Redmond used to be a bit like this? Shows it can potentially be taught...

Didnt Redmond used to be a bit like this? Shows it can potentially be taught...

Thing is Redmond has had a full unchallenged run in the side this year he's had 32 games where he plays nearly all game every game, and he's managed just 3 goals and 3 assists you could argue he's looking better this season as he's about the only player we have that can carry the ball beat players and has pace, but still statistically 3 goals and three assists is not all that for our so called most attacking player and creator..

My argument for boufal would be if he had the same 32 full games do u really think he wouldn't match redmonds 3 goals and three assists and also be capable of carrying the ball and beating players?.. personally I think he definitely would

Rotate Redmond, Boufal, Sims and Armstrong as our wide attack on Europe next season.

Hojbjerg, Romeu, Lemina and H.Reed as the centre mid engine managers

Jwp, And Hesketh as central attacking midfield maestros

Bertrand, Targett, MAEHLE and Valery as wing backs

UPAMECANO, Bednarek, Vestergaard and Yoshi as centre backs.

AUGUSTIN, ADAMS, Ings and Obafemi scoring down opposition defences

Gunn and McCarthy standing guards.

Forster

Cedric

Hoedt

Stephens

McQueen

Clasie

Long

Carrillo

Gallagher

Austin

All out.

Thing is Redmond has had a full unchallenged run in the side this year he's had 32 games where he plays nearly all game every game, and he's managed just 3 goals and 3 assists you could argue he's looking better this season as he's about the only player we have that can carry the ball beat players and has pace, but still statistically 3 goals and three assists is not all that for our so called most attacking player and creator..

My argument for boufal would be if he had the same 32 full games do u really think he wouldn't match redmonds 3 goals and three assists and also be capable of carrying the ball and beating players?.. personally I think he definitely would

I thought it said on Sky that he had scored 8 this season. Assists only count if a goal is scored, with our forwards I think Messi would have trouble having good stats

Sofiane Boufal is La Liga’s Dribble King.

The Southampton owned player, who is spending the season on loan at Celta Vigo, is racking up brilliant statistics for taking the ball forward with his trickery.

Marca, one of several Spanish publications highlighting this, say: ‘It is not easy to beat Leo Messi when it comes to something related to football. But Sofiane Boufal has achieved it.’

Boufal has 131 successful dribbles, with Messi managing 117.

The problem is what happens at the end of the dribble. He’s ‘not usually the most accurate’ when it comes to doing something meaningful inside the opposition area and has just two goals and two assists so far this season, which doesn’t sit very well with his headline statistic.

Marca say for that Boufal to stay in Spanish football next season he ‘would need to negotiate’ the €15m clause fee which Southampton have agreed with Cetla.

Basically, the Vigo club won’t be paying so much, according to the claims, and if he wishes to stay there, or move elsewhere in La Liga, the Saints will need to come down.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/player-need-negotiate-e15m-fee-southampton-improve-decision-maker/

Pretty much same as he was here. He could beat players but didn't have the quickness of thought to see a run and make the decisive pass or when/where to shoot. He just took too long and when he did, the opening was gone. He just wanted to double back and beat players.

Pretty much same as he was here. He could beat players but didn't have the quickness of thought to see a run and make the decisive pass or when/where to shoot. He just took too long and when he did, the opening was gone. He just wanted to double back and beat players.

Well, there was one time he remembered to shoot ...

I let out a strange noise when he scored that goal. But you're mostly right, all dribble and no product.

Ralph stated at the last fans forum that both Boufal and Carrillo would be looked at when they return at the end of the season then going into preseason. Looking forward to Ralph working his magic on Boufal :)

Whilst I think Boufal will be more Gaston than Redmond, it’ll be interesting to see him under a decent manager rather than Puel or Pellegrino. Bit harsh to blame Hughes as Pellegrino had ground down most of the squad by then and Boufal happened to react.

Carrillo doesn’t look a Ralph player but has a good attitude so let’s see.

Clasie, Hoedt are beyond redemption though. Ely heck knows, Les’s biggest blunder next to the very suspect Fraser extension second time around. Still, if you are in football and dreadful at your job, there is always the FA

Whilst I think Boufal will be more Gaston than Redmond, it’ll be interesting to see him under a decent manager rather than Puel or Pellegrino. Bit harsh to blame Hughes as Pellegrino had ground down most of the squad by then and Boufal happened to react.

Clasie, Hoedt are beyond redemption though. Ely heck knows, Les’s biggest blunder next to the very suspect Fraser extension second time around. Still, if you are in football and dreadful at your job, there is always the FA

A bit harsh to blame Hughes???? Hughes didn't get the players fit, coach them or have any sort of plan. Pellegrino was utter cock, but at least he had a plan even if it was crap.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

As long as when he has beaten two players he has learnt to then pass the ball.....

Redmond's decision-making has improved under RH, so no reason why Boufal's couldn't too.

Another thing to consider is that creative players (particularly immature ones) often tend to exhibit that trying-to-do-it-all behaviour when playing in struggling teams. But as we've seen, once the team starts to play with more of an identity, and with more of a sense that the 10 other people on your side can be trusted with the ball, there's less of a need to try and single-handedly win the game every time you get the ball.

Put another way, you can only make creative/unpredictable players conform to the team system and ethic if the team actually has a system and ethic for them to conform to.

Redmond's decision-making has improved under RH, so no reason why Boufal's couldn't too.

Another thing to consider is that creative players (particularly immature ones) often tend to exhibit that trying-to-do-it-all behaviour when playing in struggling teams. But as we've seen, once the team starts to play with more of an identity, and with more of a sense that the 10 other people on your side can be trusted with the ball, there's less of a need to try and single-handedly win the game every time you get the ball.

Put another way, you can only make creative/unpredictable players conform to the team system and ethic if the team actually has a system and ethic for them to conform to.

RH won't put up with with any antics though. Boufal will need to be on his best behaviour - is he able to do that?

It's got nothing to do with being a 'Ralph player' or his attitude. He just isn't a good footballer. Carrillo will not be playing for us next season.