Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,500 of 1654

Thread: Sofiane Boufal

If RH can make the absolutely enormous improvements that he did with Redmond in such a short space of time it’s scary to think how good he could make Boufal.

MOI is not training with the team in Ireland. Injured or out of favour?

They’ve realised he’s not a real footballer

Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CityRanger View Post
    If RH can make the absolutely enormous improvements that he did with Redmond in such a short space of time it’s scary to think how good he could make Boufal.
    Totally agree.

You probably agree with Raging Bull as well!

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    First things first, if they were even in the same continent it might help. Ralph cannot work his magic on a player via video link. Clearly there is no intent to try to do so, if there was they would have taken Boufal to Macau (unless there were visa problems getting him into PRC, its not easy). Even Ralph with his God like status can see that it is unlikely that he can change Boufal's play into something akin to a team player, when so many others have tried and failed. We need to realise, as I think Ralph has, that Boufal is a very talented and skilful football player, with a style that makes him unsuited to a team game, where he might succeed in a slower moving league (though even that is debateable as he hardly ripped up La Liga last season). I will be shocked if Boufal is still at Saints in 2 weeks time.
    Ralph has all training sessions filmed.
    Once a week Ralph and all the coaches have a strict briefing from him , he then takes them for a few circuits and gets full feedback from the coaches. Didn’t you watch the fans forum ? “ If I get the right performance and attitude the players can go high but also if not there’s a long drop” or words to that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by stevy777_x View Post
    MOI is not training with the team in Ireland. Injured or out of favour?
    No sign of Moi, Prowse, Romeu or Stephens in Dublin so far.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by manji View Post
    Ralph has all training sessions filmed.
    Once a week Ralph and all the coaches have a strict briefing from him , he then takes them for a few circuits and gets full feedback from the coaches. Didn’t you watch the fans forum ? “ If I get the right performance and attitude the players can go high but also if not there’s a long drop” or words to that affect.
    So he's going to turn Boufal around by 2 weekly video links. Hmm. Not much of a plan. If he had any chance of making Boufal a team player he need to work with him intensively and for some time. It isn't going to happen. I'd be very happy if it did. We made a huge mistake with Boufal, to appease Puel, our scouting went out the window. Boufal will be playing in Spain or France next season I'm sure where his skills and style will have some chance of a modicum of success.

Quote Originally Posted by VectisSaint View Post
    So he's going to turn Boufal around by 2 weekly video links. Hmm. Not much of a plan. If he had any chance of making Boufal a team player he need to work with him intensively and for some time. It isn't going to happen. I'd be very happy if it did. We made a huge mistake with Boufal, to appease Puel, our scouting went out the window. Boufal will be playing in Spain or France next season I'm sure where his skills and style will have some chance of a modicum of success.
    I don't think I'd put Boufal into the "inexplicable failure" list. Of course there are aspects that mean our scouts got it wrong (I'm not sure Boufal was to please Puel btw), but you can't expect a 100% hit rate and you can surely see why we took a chance on him. Elyounoussi and Vestergaard are more recent signings who don't appear to be good enough, but are at least the TYPE of players we needed, as was Clasie. Hojbjerg and Redmond have taken a long time to come good, pretty sure there were people a year or two ago writing both of them off as never going to be good enough.

The "huge mistake" accusations should be reserved for Carillo and Forster's new contract. Jaw dropping moments for virtually everyone when they happened, not even in hindsight.

11. Default

12. Default

He got back quick, where are the rest of the players?

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post

They've even followed that up with a slow-motion hand-shake

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...80889354952706

Ralph is looking pretty trim to when he first arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by skintsaint View Post
    Ralph is looking pretty trim to when he first arrived.
    That'll be all the worry

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    He got back quick, where are the rest of the players?
    Ralph's back earlier than the players.

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    I don't think I'd put Boufal into the "inexplicable failure" list. Of course there are aspects that mean our scouts got it wrong (I'm not sure Boufal was to please Puel btw), but you can't expect a 100% hit rate and you can surely see why we took a chance on him. Elyounoussi and Vestergaard are more recent signings who don't appear to be good enough, but are at least the TYPE of players we needed, as was Clasie. Hojbjerg and Redmond have taken a long time to come good, pretty sure there were people a year or two ago writing both of them off as never going to be good enough.

The "huge mistake" accusations should be reserved for Carillo and Forster's new contract. Jaw dropping moments for virtually everyone when they happened, not even in hindsight.
    Nor would I, he was a decent punt doing a good job at Lille young a little raw still he probably ticked enough of the Black Box - boxes.
    That said if you look at Fonte, who went off the boil with us then was a bit of car crash at West Ham, he has just ended a successful season with Lille. Which probably highlights the gap between Ligue 1 and the Premier League. Having gone from enjoying his football with rave reviews, Sofiane finds himself looking forward to the bright lights of the EPL, but find himself playing in an empty SMS with the under 23’s (anyone seeing his sending off can’t have failed to notice the sheer frustration in his action to have first go at the hot water). One thing that was noticeable under MoPe when Boufal did play his defensive play was much better, under Puel he played like it was not his job to defend, under MoPe to stand any chance of a game he knew he had to take defensive responsibilities seriously. So he is capable of adapting.
    If Ralph thinks he will be receptive to his methods and can do a job for us then fair enough. If he Ends up going elsewhere it will be less of a failure of a signing more a failure of Saints to manage him and nurture a young talent. The lad obviously has ability, we have never seen, or saw, the merest potential of the goal he scored v WBA or the one v Sunderland from Juanmi, Moi, or Carrillo. (The latter even all us armchair experts went “what?!, who?!, how much???!!!”. So far he is a failure big enough to eclipse Ali Dia).

Boufal, Redmond and Djeneppo

19. Default

Bit of a love in going on - https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...80889354952706 (that is unless I am blind and that isn't Boufal)

EDIT - see it mentioned above!

20. Default

He’s more likely in the Cédric / Hoedt camp.
    Reinforced by the fact that whie Cédric, Hoedt, Boufal and Reed were all added back to the OS first team profiles yesterday, Carillo (along with McQueen and Hesketh) was not. Lemina and Austin were already there, of course.

Boufal added in under his old squad number of 19 and Reed (who was 19 last season before he left on loan) at 20 - at least for now.

They've even followed that up with a slow-motion hand-shake

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/st...80889354952706

Looks like he’s popular amongst players?

Seems like quite a kind and warm natured guy

Quote Originally Posted by Avenue_Saint View Post

Looks like he’s popular amongst players?

Seems like quite a kind and warm natured guy
    I have said a number of times, why do people think he's anything but that? Because he fell out with Hughes? Hughes is one of the most disliked people in football.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    I have said a number of times, why do people think he's anything but that? Because he fell out with Hughes? Hughes is one of the most disliked people in football.
    Pretty sure K Billy also said something similar a while ago. I've often thought his 'attitude' problem is more about wanting to impress, and often doing too much, rather than not being bothered (like Lemina). It frustrates me when people say he is lazy because - ironically - that is just a lazy stereotype of a flair player. I'm sure there are times where he doesn't, but more often than not he works to win the ball back, albeit sometimes a bit too hotheadedly!

Personally I hope he stays, of course it's up to him. The side he left was a losing side, with an absolute dinosaur of a manager with a track record of falling out with flair players. The side he has come back to is completely re-vitalised with a manager worlds apart from Hughes.

He has real quality, we all know that. With him, Redmond and Djenepo we have three very good wingers. If he wants to stay, I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    I don't think it's ever been claimed that he is unpopular in the dressing room. The problems with his attitude tend to arise when things aren't going his way.

The acid test will be when he has a few poor games and is dropped or subbed off and how he responds to that. If he reacts like he did to MoPe, after his WBA goal, he will likely end up in A&E with a Ralph sized footprint in his forehead.

Big assumption which I don't think is right.

He was one of celta's better players last season as they fought for survival.

He was also on the bench for most of morrocco's games and came on and impressed.

His issue with MoPo was that everyone else played **** for ages but stayed in the team, but he had maybe 1 chance and if he didnt do something amazing was dropped next game.

It was 100% the manager.
    Last edited by Convict Colony; 25-07-2019 at 10:06 AM.

27. Default

That's true, CiCi.
    Boufal was raring to go, desperate to get back into the team to show the manager his skills. He finally got his chances, scored a wonder-goal. I loved his celebration myself. All that pent-up frustration released in one minute.
    Pellegrino was a fool to drop him for that celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by the saint in winchester View Post
    That's true, CiCi.
    Boufal was raring to go, desperate to get back into the team to show the manager his skills. He finally got his chances, scored a wonder-goal. I loved his celebration myself. All that pent-up frustration released in one minute.
    Pellegrino was a fool to drop him for that celebration.
    He didn't. After that goal Boufal started 5 of the next 6 (and was only dropped for City away) and did absolutely bugger all.

The celebration was arrogant and disrespectful. Made worse by the fact that he had done nothing for about a year leading up to it and had no right to be demanding a starting spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse View Post
    He didn't. After that goal Boufal started 5 of the next 6 (and was only dropped for City away) and did absolutely bugger all.

The celebration was arrogant and disrespectful. Made worse by the fact that he had done nothing for about a year leading up to it and had no right to be demanding a starting spot.
    Hadn't done anything? Other than score a couple of worldies, play better than most other players in his position, including Redmond at that point. Don't worry, you'll get a side of "one of our own" very soon.

30. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    Big assumption which I don't think is right.

He was one of celta's better players last season as they fought for survival.

He was also on the bench for most of morrocco's games and came on and impressed.

His issue with MoPo was that everyone else played **** for ages but stayed in the team, but he had maybe 1 chance and if he didnt do something amazing was dropped next game.

It was 100% the manager.
    Yeh agree you can understand his frustration, its hardly like the rest of the team were setting a high bar.

Can’t wait for Boufal to start playing regularly for us again and the Moroccan fans to reappear on the clubs social media accounts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyAdmgbiXg

I don't care what any of you think the man is technically our best player! we would be stupid to shift him on for 9 million.......

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    It frustrates me when people say he is lazy because - ironically - that is just a lazy stereotype of a flair player. I'm sure there are times where he doesn't, but more often than not he works to win the ball back, albeit sometimes a bit too hotheadedly!
    That I'd agree with. I never had cause to doubt his work ethic, although you could see the frustration in his body language, and decision making at times was a bit awry, but look at Redmond in the latter regard.

With Djenepo as well we could tire the defenders with one of them and then bring on the other. Hey, let's be optimistic!

I wonder what RH thinks of Harrison Reed now he's getting a close up look of him in Ireland?

34. Default

Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    That I'd agree with. I never had cause to doubt his work ethic, although you could see the frustration in his body language, and decision making at times was a bit awry, but look at Redmond in the latter regard.

With Djenepo as well we could tire the defenders with one of them and then bring on the other. Hey, let's be optimistic!

I wonder what RH thinks of Harrison Reed now he's getting a close up look of him in Ireland?
    I suppose if Lemina goes & we don’t buy a replacement, Reed / Slattery / Smallbone can all fight for the spot.

35. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Kucho View Post
    Can’t wait for Boufal to start playing regularly for us again and the Moroccan fans to reappear on the clubs social media accounts.
    No Boufal = no party.

Wonder what the parties are like though. Many Moroccan’s don’t drink.

The thing I'm edgy about is Ralph investing a lot of time in him rather than others (time is finite, although my old boss thought it wasn't when it came to doing more work), he then has a half decent season (not exceptional but decent) and then he walks away on a free to another club.

How would people feel if the club say to him, 'If you want back in to the fold then sign a one year extension on the same terms so we can work with you for a year and then review (sell or new contract), or go now'

?????

Quote Originally Posted by Winchester Red View Post
    The thing I'm edgy about is Ralph investing a lot of time in him rather than others (time is finite, although my old boss thought it wasn't when it came to doing more work), he then has a half decent season (not exceptional but decent) and then he walks away on a free to another club.

How would people feel if the club say to him, 'If you want back in to the fold then sign a one year extension on the same terms so we can work with you for a year and then review (sell or new contract), or go now'

?????
    He's contracted until 2021 so that's not really an issue at this stage.

38. Default

I get the impression that Boufal needs to be wanted/loved/appreciated. Hughes isn't the sort to do that and not sure Pellegrino was either.

Weird fascination with Boufal on here. He’s getting the ‘optimism’ treatment that Ramirez got. It’s weird. People are quick to make excuses and find reasons why he hasn’t performed. This is all based on feelings. People ‘feel’ there’s a player in there somewhere. Sell him. Quickly. He doesn’t deserved to get loads of chances.

40. Default

Quote Originally Posted by saints-til-i-die View Post
    Weird fascination with Boufal on here. He’s getting the ‘optimism’ treatment that Ramirez got. It’s weird. People are quick to make excuses and find reasons why he hasn’t performed. This is all based on feelings. People ‘feel’ there’s a player in there somewhere. Sell him. Quickly. He doesn’t deserved to get loads of chances.
    The other argument is why take a haircut by selling him cheap and subsidizing his wages only to get in another Moi?

Yes he’s disappointed us, but it makes more sense for Ralph to take a look at him first and see if he can get him playing more like the player we thought we were getting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    He's contracted until 2021 so that's not really an issue at this stage.
    Forget that then, I thought he was going into his last year.

Obvious to me the answer then. Let Ralph make up his own mind.

42. Default

Weird that some people clearly didn't see what he offered us. Are you in a position to have actually seen him play in the flesh??

Can we realistically get a player of Boufal's ability for Ł9m this late in the window?

No.

We've got a perfectly good player who has underperformed for us but now might do so under the right tutelage. Worth a shot IMO.

We're better putting our resources into finding a commanding CB, or we'll be leaking goals as fast as we score them. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Weird that some people clearly didn't see what he offered us. Are you in a position to have actually seen him play in the flesh??
    I've seen him and witnessed occasional moments of brilliance interspersed with hours of disappointing failure and lack of awareness of any other team members.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shroppie View Post
    I've seen him and witnessed occasional moments of brilliance interspersed with hours of disappointing failure and lack of awareness of any other team members.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    You’d think that could be coached - it’s often no more than playing the simpler, earlier and more direct ball.

Boufal is a bit like marmite . Me i love him and hope we dont get rid . could be a real asset under Ralph

There is a player in there, anyone who's watched him has seen it. The goals he's scored, and his technical ability, are evidence of its needed. He's not been consistent though, but he's arguably not had a fair crack of the whip.

Personally I'd give him a go rather than sell him cheap or sending him out on loan. If he gets chances and doesn't step up then reassess in the Jan window. We've got nothing to lose in my opinion.

I recall times last season where we had Moi as pretty much our only 'creative' option on the bench. Its obvious to me that even a vaguely functioning Boufal would be a significant upgrade, so am basically in favour of keeping. Ok, we've already increased our options but we're a long way from having an embarrassment of riches.

That said, he's not a critical member of the squad and if selling him is the best way to raise the funds (and create squad space and wages in the budget) needed to fund a centre back then I'd happily sacrifice him.

I think Ralph could get a lot more out of him, but a first choice centre back is a far bigger priority imho.

I feel pretty much the same about Lemina.
    Last edited by Chewy; 25-07-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Typos and Lemina comment

Either the bloke who runs Saints social media on twitter etc has a man crush on Boufal or they’re trying to hint that he’s staying. Hopefully the latter.

I have seen him play yes. I’ve been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. My point is the fact that he gets such an easy ride just like Ramirez for no apparent reason. Saints fans latch on to a player every now and then and defend them for no clear reason. Why does he get an easier time of it than others? Some people were posting comments that made it seem like he was Ronaldo quality, completely over the top. I just don’t get it.