Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

He's got more trickery and end product than Redmond. An important player, especially at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would be Redmond who, despite having a pretty poor season, has score one less goal in 4 months than Boufal has in his entire Saints career?

That would be Redmond who, despite having a pretty poor season, has score one less goal in 4 months than Boufal has in his entire Saints career?

Yeah, and the one who dribbles up his own backside, loses it when we have an advantage, and allows teams to transition easily. Fair play, his goal against Chelsea was well taken but I'd sell him and Cedders in the transfer window to recoup funds for a defensive central midfielder and Cedric replacement. He flatters to deceive, which is good for sell on...

Redmond:

Started 18 games / 2 goals / 0 Assists / 11 shots on target

Boufal:

Started 5 games / 0 goals / 2 assists/ 6 shots on target

in all competitions this season

Moussa Djenepo

675 minutes 2 goals 1 assist

Nathan Redmond

1638 minutes 3 goals 1 assist

Sofiane Boufal

719 minutes 0 goals 2 assist

Ralph likes his quick counter attacks and Redmond and Djenepo seem better suited to the quick counter than Boufal. Palace should have been Boufal's time to shine a team, defending deep, in numbers, requiring something special to break them down and he barely troubled them. Djenepo comes on (against an admittedly tired defence) and cuts them open several times with pace and trickery and probably should have had at least a goal or an assist out of the performance.

Djenepo came on when palace were shattered. Boufal played when they had energy.

I love watching Boufal play. He is easily the most skilful player in the league. He was winning us loads of free kicks in dangerous areas yesterday and worked hard to try and break down a team who were sitting back. He will be an important player for us this season. No doubt that he will win us a few games on his own this season.

That's a big claim :scared:

I love watching Boufal play. He is easily the most skilful player in the league. He was winning us loads of free kicks in dangerous areas yesterday and worked hard to try and break down a team who were sitting back. He will be an important player for us this season. No doubt that he will win us a few games on his own this season.

Does that mean palace lost their energy the moment Djenepo came on? It had it in abundance 30 seconds before the suns board went up?

Boufal was ok, a few times dwelled on the ball far too long. Djenepo ran directly at them and created chaos, forcing them to face their own goal a bit more. Boufal rare offered that

Class player. Inconsistent but makes things happen on pitch.

Much much better than Redmond and has played many many less minutes

Get another striker in alongside Ings and play Djennepo and boufal behind.

Replace one pace hojbjerg with a combative and mobile box to box alongside jwp and we’ve got a nice looking team. Armstrong to come in and ably help when required.

Get that Todibo in alongside bednarek, maehle replacing Cedric and we’ve got a top 8 first 11

I love watching Boufal play. He is easily the most skilful player in the league.

He’s really not.....

He can’t get in our side under 4 different managers. Nobody seems the slightest bit interested in signing him. He’ll just fade away exactly like Gaston did.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He’s really not.....

He can’t get in our side under 4 different managers. Nobody seems the slightest bit interested in signing him. He’ll just fade away exactly like Gaston did.......

Nobody in England you mean...which is probably what some use as their only template.

Leagues exist outside of england you know

Wow [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] easily the most skillful player. In the league are you serious??? So if you were offered someone like mane back you would say no thanks we have the most skillful player in the league?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Nobody in England you mean...which is probably what some use as their only template.

Leagues exist outside of england you know

Sorry, forgot about all these foreign teams banging our door down trying to sign him, especially after his spell at Celta Vigo.

Face reality man, he’ll never be more than a bit part player at our club. Like Gaston, he’ll fade-away with a few hipsters still convinced he’ll come good.

For me, if he starts he has to play centrally, but he’s more of an impact player. Especially when at home.

On current form, I’d rather have him than Redmond, but I’d have Djenepo and Armstrong over the both of them.

Strange that Duckhunter would dig him out after 1 average game, when he’s been pretty decent when played this season.

Boufal beats players and creates opportunites but he also loses the ball in dangerous positions.

Redmond just doesnt do enough for the amount of game time he gets in my opinion.

Currently I'd have Djenepo and Amstrong ahead of them as starters then have both come on as subs.

I just dont see what makes redmond undroppable ?

Wow [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] easily the most skillful player. In the league are you serious??? So if you were offered someone like mane back you would say no thanks we have the most skillful player in the league?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

I fully agree with LeG. Plus skillfull and best players are different things. The fact boufal had more completed dribbles then messi last year in la Liga also speaks very highly of his talent

I fully agree with LeG. Plus skillfull and best players are different things. The fact boufal had more completed dribbles then messi last year in la Liga also speaks very highly of his talent

Dear god, is it April 1st......

If you asked every single supporter of every single club in the country to name the most skilful player in the league, how many would say Boufal? My bet would be none. Not one. And I’ll ask again, who are these players that think he’s “easily” the most skilful in the league. Are you people deranged?

Dear god, is it April 1st......

If you asked every single supporter of every single club in the country to name the most skilful player in the league, how many would say Boufal? My bet would be none. Not one. And I’ll ask again, who are these players that think he’s “easily” the most skilful in the league. Are you people deranged?

I think you've already lost that bet, there are at least two people on this thread that think he's the most skillful player in the league.

What is that based on?

Nothing, the guy is a troller.

Boufal has actually been one of the few bright spots this season. He s been effective in most games he s played, yesterday a little less but that doesn t make him a flop.

He s the most skillful player in our team along with Moussa and should always be in the 18

Boufal beats players and creates opportunites but he also loses the ball in dangerous positions.

Boufal beats players but doesn't create many opportunities for others, basic problem, as before he went on loan, he does not look up and thus cannot regularly pick out a team mate. He is certainly skilful, full of tricks, but then so was the guy from the Brazilian Soccer School or whatever it was called. All the ball skills in the world but not a footballer which is a team sport. Occassionally gets lucky, hence his assists, but it is seldom due to his vision. Very good defensively as well (certainly compared to Redmond or Tadic when all three were here a season or two back). If someone can coach his head down running blind way of playing out of him then we would have a top player on our hands, but so far no one has managed to do it.

Boufal beats players but doesn't create many opportunities for others, basic problem, as before he went on loan, he does not look up and thus cannot regularly pick out a team mate. He is certainly skilful, full of tricks, but then so was the guy from the Brazilian Soccer School or whatever it was called. All the ball skills in the world but not a footballer which is a team sport. Occassionally gets lucky, hence his assists, but it is seldom due to his vision. Very good defensively as well (certainly compared to Redmond or Tadic when all three were here a season or two back). If someone can coach his head down running blind way of playing out of him then we would have a top player on our hands, but so far no one has managed to do it.

In about 3 consecutive games he had skilled his way to the byline and created great chances think one to long one to Bertrand that they didn’t score .. same for ings at Everton was it? Same for redmond earlier in the season.. he’s been doing this consistently well.. I just don’t get the argument that he’s not creative .. as for losing the ball so do redmond and djenepo but for some reason when boufal loses it it’s really highlighted on here

In about 3 consecutive games he had skilled his way to the byline and created great chances think one to long one to Bertrand that they didn’t score .. same for ings at Everton was it? Same for redmond earlier in the season.. he’s been doing this consistently well.. I just don’t get the argument that he’s not creative .. as for losing the ball so do redmond and djenepo but for some reason when boufal loses it it’s really highlighted on here

You are right of course but it just simply doesn’t suit people’s agenda to point things like this out. Predisposition stuff...

You are right of course but it just simply doesn’t suit people’s agenda to point things like this out. Predisposition stuff...

4 different managers have only used him as a bit part player, have they got an agenda?

Agenda, what a load of pony. Don’t rate Boufal and it’s part of an agenda.

I just hope the people claiming he’s easily the leagues most skilful player, are only doing so on here. They’d be laughed out of every boozer in the land if they claimed that in public.

4 different managers have only used him as a bit part player, have they got an agenda?

Agenda, what a load of pony. Don’t rate Boufal and it’s part of an agenda.

I just hope the people claiming he’s easily the leagues most skilful player, are only doing so on here. They’d be laughed out of every boozer in the land if they claimed that in public.

I don't have an agenda, (I don't imagine you do either) nor do I claim Boufal is the most skilful player in the League - but he is a lot better player than you are making out. He has also had quite a good season, if not so great in his return from injury v Palace. Open both eyes :smug:

nor do I claim Boufal is the most skilful player in the League

You might not, but others on here do claim that. Not only the most skilful, but “easily” the most skilful...there’s alosthe claim that other players agree with this assessment, but no names have been forthcoming.

Here’s a question for you. Do you think he’ll become a first team regular?

You might not, but others on here do claim that. Not only the most skilful, but “easily” the most skilful...there’s alosthe claim that other players agree with this assessment, but no names have been forthcoming.

Here’s a question for you. Do you think he’ll become a first team regular?

No, I don't think he will become a first team regular, his best performances for us have been as a sub. Ralph probably sees him only as a winger, in competition with Djenepo and to a lesser extent Redmond for a place. If he was given some licence to play a more attacking midfield role by Ralph then maybe he could cement a place. I think he needs a Manager who trusts him and backs him with a run of games in a side with other switched on attacking and midfield players.

• 2 weeks later...
Really disappointed he didn't offer more against Huddersfield. You have to wonder if we are ever going to get much out of him, beyond a handful of cameo appearances every season. Must be so frustrating for RH and the coaching staff.

He had very little service, in fairness. He made a number of runs, but Romeu just wasn't on his wavelength. He became more frustrated with those around him as the game went on. Suspect if he'd been playing in front of Bertrand, Cedric or Armstrong, it might have been a different outcome.

Plus, any time he did get the ball, Huddersfield lept on him far quicker than anyone else. They'd obviously been briefed, and knew that it was probably going to be a game where he had a point to prove, so nulified the threat. It wasn't a good game of football at all.

It feels like he keeps being given chances, but I don't actually think he does. He's limited to these little cameo appearances, and never seems to get 90mins. He and Djenepo are genuinely exciting players, and both have the ability to be ruthless, but I worry that the majority of his teammates aren't dialled in to Boufal's mental tactics.

He must be pretty p4ssed off by now. Ralph rarely starts him and when he is brought on it's usually only for 20 minutes or so towards the end when usually we have withdrawn into our defensive shell to survive the inevitable last 10 minutes blitzkrieg of the opposition. Doesn't really give the lad a chance.

Still seems to me that having a big engine is all that matters to Ralph, finesse seems lost on him and so Armstrong gets the nod over Boufal for example. Mourinho commenting on our recent match against Spurs said that it was more like a fight than a football match and he called it about right, Ralph's team is like the big bad wolf, he'll huff and he'll puff until he knocks your house down.

He must be pretty p4ssed off by now. Ralph rarely starts him and when he is brought on it's usually only for 20 minutes or so towards the end when usually we have withdrawn into our defensive shell to survive the inevitable last 10 minutes blitzkrieg of the opposition. Doesn't really give the lad a chance.

Still seems to me that having a big engine is all that matters to Ralph, finesse seems lost on him and so Armstrong gets the nod over Boufal for example. Mourinho commenting on our recent match against Spurs said that it was more like a fight than a football match and he called it about right, Ralph's team is like the big bad wolf, he'll huff and he'll puff until he knocks your house down.

But that’s ok. Boufal is a talented player but if he’s not going to suit our style of play so be it. Personally I feel he COULD fit and be a good player for us, but equally he hasn’t shown enough to justify building a team round (which is what you’re asking if you think RH’s tactics should change)

Equally, although I think his performances earlier in the season warranted a bit more time in the starting eleven, it’s a fair observation that recently he has struggled when starting and has done better coming on late.

You do need players like Boufal in this league, but if the likes of Djenepo and Redmond can offer the creativity AND follow instructions better - which is debatable but maybe RH’s opinion - then you can’t blame the manager for his selection. You can’t expect Boufal to be scintillating every match, even though he seems to get criticism whenever he isn’t, but he probably has to do more to justify a starting berth atm.

He had very little service, in fairness. He made a number of runs, but Romeu just wasn't on his wavelength. He became more frustrated with those around him as the game went on. Suspect if he'd been playing in front of Bertrand, Cedric or Armstrong, it might have been a different outcome.

Plus, any time he did get the ball, Huddersfield lept on him far quicker than anyone else. They'd obviously been briefed, and knew that it was probably going to be a game where he had a point to prove, so nulified the threat. It wasn't a good game of football at all.

It feels like he keeps being given chances, but I don't actually think he does. He's limited to these little cameo appearances, and never seems to get 90mins. He and Djenepo are genuinely exciting players, and both have the ability to be ruthless, but I worry that the majority of his teammates aren't dialled in to Boufal's mental tactics.

A post full of excuses.

In the first half all we did was send the ball up the left, he had plenty of "service", with Danso sat on the right in acres of space being criminally ignored by everyone (yes Danso was a bit shonky once he had the ball, but had more chances of getting it forward if anyone had bothered to pick him out).

Don't provide Boufal with get out clauses for a poor performance, he's been given plenty of chances, yet always reverts to type.

Really disappointed he didn't offer more against Huddersfield. You have to wonder if we are ever going to get much out of him, beyond a handful of cameo appearances every season. Must be so frustrating for RH and the coaching staff.

A post full of excuses.

Don't provide Boufal with get out clauses for a poor performance, he's been given plenty of chances, yet always reverts to type.

This thread could be about Fabrice Fernandes, or Gaston... just change the name and insert...

We need end product!

While I love seeing Boufal ghost past three defenders, there is a point where the ball should be released or delivered, and all our 'flair players' sometimes need to sharpen up their decision-making.

There is a limit to how many times Bertrand will sprint up on an overlap expecting a pass, only to discover that the ball has been lost in a second attempt at ghosting past the three.

Call me old school, but showboating should be the exclusive domain of the team that is three-up, not one-down.

I recall Tadic skinning a Chelsea defender, he dummied him about three times, it was brilliant......however, 30 seconds later the ball was in our net.

Hopefully decision-making and end product is being gently-coached into the more skilled members of the squad....

This thread could be about Fabrice Fernandes, or Gaston... just change the name and insert...

Ha, fair point.

I really want to see him come good but time is running out. He should be one of the first names on the team sheet based on ability. I know he was injured recently but he needs to step up, much like Tadic did in the second half of 17/18. That's the level of performance we need and should expect from him.

A post full of excuses.

In the first half all we did was send the ball up the left, he had plenty of "service", with Danso sat on the right in acres of space being criminally ignored by everyone (yes Danso was a bit shonky once he had the ball, but had more chances of getting it forward if anyone had bothered to pick him out).

Like I posted about a page back he had consecutive games where he got to the byline and made clear chances one which ings scored vs Everton one which long fluffed .. one which Bertrand didn’t finish but all were great chances created by him also created goal for redmond earlier in the season.. I’m really wondering what some of you guys are watching he has looked better then redmond for 80 percent of the games.

I really must stop reading this thread, one poor performance in a disjointed second string side and the daggers come out for boufal always

Like I posted about a page back he had consecutive games where he got to the byline and made clear chances one which ings scored vs Everton one which long fluffed .. one which Bertrand didn’t finish but all were great chances created by him also created goal for redmond earlier in the season.. I’m really wondering what some of you guys are watching he has looked better then redmond for 80 percent of the games.

I really must stop reading this thread, one poor performance in a disjointed second string side and the daggers come out for boufal always

Blatant cultural discrimination, I think.

• 1 month later...
Like some of us have said time & time again. A Gaston tribute act, the sooner his contract runs out the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he played well today - and worked hard off the ball too. He was poor v Villa but all other recent performances have shown he adds something to the team. Don’t get the “write him off” verdicts. If you have to criticise players today, what about Shane Long? Valery?

The recurring theme with Boufal 'Frustrating, he could offer me' - he can't though, can he. It's been years of the same from him, flattering.

He is not suited to this league, end of. He will never, ever be a success in this league. He'll be a decent player in another league, but he's never a £20m player as we shelled out.