Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Had a quick look at the highlights video that MLG posted in post 1 of this thread. Bearing in mind it's his best ever plays there are a lot of clips of ball tricks with no real end product. He does them and then either a) dives, b) gets fouled, c) makes a simple pass that he could have done anyway without risking losing the ball d)loses the ball e) makes a terrible cross.

Yes there are some nice goals and assists in there but his highlights reel is full of the same frustrating play we are more than used to from him. Defenders are too quick and strong in the Prem for him to do all the flicks and turns he does. He's like a less talented version of Ronaldo when he first went to Utd. The difference being Ronaldo actually listened to Fergie and learned for himself that all the stepovers etc are useless in the Prem. Yes he's had some **** managers but you think he would have learned that by now. Apparently not, he's not the type of player to learn and adapt.

While I agree, one of the reasons we are facing the drop is we have too few players like Boufal who can score some "nice goals and assists". Hard working and "committed to the team" will only take you so far.

Well you can see the below aren't interested by just watching them mope about the pitch...

Bertrand

Cedric

Lemina

Gabbiadini

Carrillo

I honestly can't see why you'd include cedric in that list. He's an erratic player quality wise, but you can't fault his effort.

While I agree, one of the reasons we are facing the drop is we have too few players like Boufal who can score some "nice goals and assists". Hard working and "committed to the team" will only take you so far.

4 goals and 3 assists in all competitions over two seasons is not exactly awe inspiring in the department.

One wonder goal vs West brom. The other 95% of the time he's shyte. Won't lose any sleep when he f*ucks off. He's made his bed and now the fans know he doesn't give a sh*t. Him and the rest of the pig headed c*units can f*uck right off out of Saits. Squad full of pr*cks.

It is this sort of behaviour that alienates these overpaid young men from the people who pay to go watch them.

And this isn't isolated to SFC, or even the Premier League. It's only at League One levels that this type of behaviour is rare and that is such a shame for this sport.

What causes it? Too much wealth too young? Too many people chirping in their ear that they are the greatest thing since Maradona?

I accept that the world's best sportsmen and women need a touch of arrogance, but the true greats manage to balance sporting arrogance with humility and I don't see much of this on display.

It would be good to see the club offer induction training that aimed to give these guys a basic grounding. Make them work in the hospital, rather than visit sick kids. Carry bags off cruise ships, load cars onto transport boats, sweep the bloody streets, anything to make these gentlemen realise what an incredibly privileged life they lead.

Then maybe they would go about their working business with a bloody great smile on their faces and what a difference that would make.

• 2 weeks later...

So Boufal copped it because he thought Hughes was blaming him for the defeat when he didn't even get on. The article paints a slightly different picture to the story we've heard of refusing to warm up. But the fact that some other senior players wanted him to train with the U23s must mean other incidents or attitude problems - I can't see this the result of just one event.

In the struggle to stay in the Premier League, Southampton no longer relies on Sofiane Boufal since April 14. The former Lille striker, who had an altercation with his coach, is forced to train alone or with the U23.

Under contract until 2021, Sofiane Boufal has been sidelined from Southampton's professional workforce (squad) since April 14th. That day, the Saints lost 3-2 to Chelsea after leading 2-0. Returning to the locker room, Mark Hughes criticized the French-Moroccan striker for having warmed up too slowly late in the game. Boufal told his manager to stop making him responsible for the defeat even though he did not even come into play.

The tension accelerated between the two men. They had to be separated by the players and the staff. The next day, Boufal apologized to Hughes and the group. The manager accepted it, but not the dressing room. They asked the leaders that Boufal does not train anymore with the pros. That request was accepted, so Boufal is forced to train alone or with the U23. He apologizes a second time before going to Leicester on April 19th.

Hughes wishes to reinstate him

The manager wants to reinstate him, but not the leaders, always influenced by some players. Since, Boufal ‘corrodes his brake’(aka goes to rot) in silence so as not to disturb the end of the season of Southampton, their battle for their staying in the Premier League. The Saints, who still have two games to play, have as many points as the first relegation candidates Swansea (33), but a better goal difference.

Edited by the saint in winchester

Hughes wanted to bring him back, some players went above his head?

It does seem that there is a group of players with a significant influence. That is surely not a healthy long-term situation.

I don’t buy that one iota !

Hughes is his own man and won’t take any sh”t from the likes of Boufal !

Listen to the player interviews and you will clearly understand who is calling the shots right now !

I don’t buy that one iota !

Hughes is his own man and won’t take any sh”t from the likes of Boufal !

Listen to the player interviews and you will clearly understand who is calling the shots right now !

And judging by what Bertrand was saying on sky sports news they like him a lot, too.

Shame, love watching Boufal play. Whatever his behaviour was it's up to the manager if he wants to reintegrate him. Shouldn't be anything to do with the players. Chimes with The Times article that someone kindly posted about a split in the dressing room between the English and foreign players.

If either or both of those articles are accurate we will probably be in for another difficult season, although perhaps our recent upturn in form is in part the result of Hughes establishing a detente?

Is there any suggestion of who the protagonists are?

Sofiane Boufal gave the clearest indication yet that he wants a move away from Southampton this summer as he talked up a return to France.

'It's true that today a return to France interests me a great deal,' Boufal said.

'A good club in France that plays in Europe of course I would be very very interested in returning.

'It's a league I know, a language I know... so it's true, a return to France.'

L'Olympique de Marseille remains a very big club,' he continued.

'This year they've made it to the final of the Europa League... of course L'OM interests me, if they are interested, why not sign for them?'

I honestly don't think he will ever play for us again.

I think you may be right, I also think that would be a shame for us. There's probably a full team of players I'd rather see leave before him.