Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

The gist of it is that Nice have made a £12m offer for Boufal.

Even if it was us to pay £12m for them to take him it'd be tempting. For them to pay us, well...asap.

OK, so it's a loss on the deal against what we paid for him, but a[part from that dribble and goal last season, he hasn't returned anything like what was expected. Someone with time on their hands might work out how much each minute of his playing time has cost us. Even that dribbled goal was an example of him not being a team player and on that rare occasion, not laying off to a team-mate happened to come off.

If there is a lesson to be learned, try avoid buying a player while he is injured as you might not know what you are getting.

So we signed him for £16m on a 5 year deal, which has 3 years remaining. To me, and I am sure others will think otherwise, that means the value left is £9.6m, so if we can get £12m then we are not losing out. Maybe taking into account signing on fees, agents etc, then maybe £12m is break even.

So we signed him for £16m on a 5 year deal, which has 3 years remaining. To me, and I am sure others will think otherwise, that means the value left is £9.6m, so if we can get £12m then we are not losing out. Maybe taking into account signing on fees, agents etc, then maybe £12m is break even.

I think that is how it works from an accountancy perspective but in football terms any time you sign a young player for a lot of money and you sell him for quite a bit less, it's a complete bust.

He looked good on paper, I don't recall many saying he was a bad signing, it's just that a combination of his attitude and our circumstance (and lets face it, some bad managers) meant it never worked for him. I'm happy we can get a fee and move on rather than have to keep loaning him.

Just seen this old thread and I really rated Juanmi so was bugged when we shipped him out. When I consider Redmond was a replacement, even more annoying as nothing of the same class. We need to upgrade players, not the opposite but I guess that's why we fought relegation and Redmond fell out of favour as time went on.

Just seen this old thread and I really rated Juanmi so was bugged when we shipped him out. When I consider Redmond was a replacement, even more annoying as nothing of the same class. We need to upgrade players, not the opposite but I guess that's why we fought relegation and Redmond fell out of favour as time went on.

Juanmi barely played, Redmond has had more of an impact IMO.

I think that is how it works from an accountancy perspective but in football terms any time you sign a young player for a lot of money and you sell him for quite a bit less, it's a complete bust.

He looked good on paper, I don't recall many saying he was a bad signing, it's just that a combination of his attitude and our circumstance (and lets face it, some bad managers) meant it never worked for him. I'm happy we can get a fee and move on rather than have to keep loaning him.

Yeah that is how it works from an accountancy perspective, including on a football club's balance sheet. The value of the player is amortized over the duration of their contract. It makes perfect sense if you think about it, as they can leave for free (so their asset value is nothing) at the end of their contract. If more decisions were made using sound business principles, rather than for 'footballing' reasons that are unsupported by either logic or empirical facts, we would be far less prone to the sort of knee-jerk idiocy that results in signings like Carillo.

£12mill for Boufal is in unbelievable business. His actual worth to us is in freefall, and is arguably lower than his amortized value, which is just shy of 10mill. To recoup that, therefore, would be good going. To recoup more than that is a no brainer. The illogical 'football' decision would be to reject the bid on the basis that because we paid more than that for him he should magically be worth more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I liked Juanmi too, but I'm just not convinced he was suited to our game. It's good to see him do well back over there.

It's why the Alacer link interests me, because he's similar size.

£12mill for Boufal is in unbelievable business. His actual worth to us is in freefall, and is arguably lower than his amortized value, which is just shy of 10mill. To recoup that, therefore, would be good going. To recoup more than that is a no brainer. The illogical 'football' decision would be to reject the bid on the basis that because we paid more than that for him he should magically be worth more.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Unbelievable business... for the buying club. If they can to get out a portion of his qualities he could be worth 3-4 times more next summer. It’s terrible business for saints but probably the best we can get IF we sell now.

I would rather keep him and give him another 6 months. If it doesn’t work out ship him out in Jan.

Unbelievable business... for the buying club. If they can to get out a portion of his qualities he could be worth 3-4 times more next summer. It’s terrible business for saints but probably the best we can get IF we sell now.

I would rather keep him and give him another 6 months. If it doesn’t work out ship him out in Jan.

Thing is, if we can't worry about what he might be worth after a great season in France. (Aside from a sell-on clause).

Thing is, if we can't worry about what he might be worth after a great season in France. (Aside from a sell-on clause).

Agreed. Apart from a couple of wonder goals (1 per season) he has been Sofiane Awful. Undoubtedly has bags of talent, but his application is poor, and his attitude has been worse on occasion. We needed him to step up last year, and he behaved disgracefully. If we let him go cheap, we'll undoubtedly have a significant sell-on clause inserted, but his time here will always weigh heavy on his price I fear.

Agreed. Apart from a couple of wonder goals (1 per season) he has been Sofiane Awful. Undoubtedly has bags of talent, but his application is poor, and his attitude has been worse on occasion. We needed him to step up last year, and he behaved disgracefully. If we let him go cheap, we'll undoubtedly have a significant sell-on clause inserted, but his time here will always weigh heavy on his price I fear.

Yeah, agree with all that Faz. I find it so frustrating because that YouTube clip above is maddening because he has ludicrous talent.

Hopefully the prospective Nice player sales (Balotelli / Plea / Seri) will have a knock-on to them being able to put together decent enough package for Boufal. (Nice doesn't look like the worst place to live, either).

Yeah, agree with all that Faz. I find it so frustrating because that YouTube clip above is maddening because he has ludicrous talent.

Hopefully the prospective Nice player sales (Balotelli / Plea / Seri) will have a knock-on to them being able to put together decent enough package for Boufal. (Nice doesn't look like the worst place to live, either).

Might not be long to see them get some cash in the bank: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11822/11423928/mario-balotelli-and-alassane-plea-miss-patrick-vieiras-first-nice-training-day

Given his likely reputation within the game now (not suited to English game, potential bad egg due to fight with Hughes) do you really think a club might pay £48m for him next summer?!

Juanmi struggled to make any kind of impact, most notably against MK Dons in the LC. He was cheap and worth a punt but never looked at home in English football.

• 2 weeks later...
Training with the under 23s? Have to admit I checked the background of the training photos and not even there out of focus!

Probably the younger kids. Most of the U23's are with the first team at the mo.

Either that or we've told him to stay away. He & his agent are quite loose-lipped so I'm surprised we've not heard anything.

Hughes doesn't want him. He's been told he can leave. Just needs to find a club willing to pay what he and we want.

Shame really, as I think when he leaves he'll do well and it will be a case of us wondering why we can't get the best from a #10 type flair player again.

Shame he was rarely given a run of games as an out and out #10 really as that's where he's best but by all accounts, he only has himself to blame as he has a bit of an ego.

Hughes doesn't want him. He's been told he can leave. Just needs to find a club willing to pay what he and we want.

Shame really, as I think when he leaves he'll do well and it will be a case of us wondering why we can't get the best from a #10 type flair player again.

Shame he was rarely given a run of games as an out and out #10 really as that's where he's best but by all accounts, he only has himself to blame as he has a bit of an ego.

Yeah & his ego & attitude wasn't a surprise. I can remember that a quick google told us he had a attitude before he signed.

Morocco were weak garbage at the world cup yet still weren't interested in taking Boufal with them, even as an "impact substitute".

Which kind of suggests it's not just us who think he's a waste of space in spite of his obvious talent.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Morocco were weak garbage at the world cup yet still weren't interested in taking Boufal with them, even as an "impact substitute".

Which kind of suggests it's not just us who think he's a waste of space in spite of his obvious talent.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

I can't remember who said it on here, but somebody said he plays like he's in front of a mirror.

Thought that was brilliant.

Watching the video here again...

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57004-Sofiane-Boufal&p=2368160#post2368160

... I can see all the traits that have annoyed me about him since he arrived...

# Incredibly lightweight (the amount of times he gets taken out with the lightest of tackles... and then dives).

# Isn't a team player, tries to do it all himself.

... we should have known from the start that a decent Premier League defense would chew him up and spit him out.

I can't remember who said it on here, but somebody said he plays like he's in front of a mirror.

Thought that was brilliant.

No so much different to Redmond then with the definite advantage of not seeing the need to hitch up his shorts to his waist to show off his legs. Oh! La! La!

Why the discrimination, is it cos he's not English?

Without his Goal v WBA we would have been relegated I think

But on the flip side of that, if he'd have performed anywhere near his expected level for us and hadn't acted like a billy big ********, then we wouldn't have even been in that situation.

But on the flip side of that, if he'd have performed anywhere near his expected level for us and hadn't acted like a billy big ********, then we wouldn't have even been in that situation.

Yes like the rest of the squad but his goal was important in my opinion

But that said if he had not score perhaps MoPe would have left earlier

Yes like the rest of the squad but his goal was important in my opinion

But that said if he had not score perhaps MoPe would have left earlier

You could say that about any player. Didn't FF make a really good save in the win over West Ham at 2-2?