Sofiane Boufal

Matthew Le God

Boufal, Carrillo, Forster., Clasie...not to mention Osvaldo and Gaston...it might be time to stop laughing at West Ham.

First off, we are a small/medium sized provincial club. We are bidding for players that are going to show potential. We are not signing proven superstars as they go for twice what we pay. We also have to "choose" from players that the big boys, and others that are more attractive than us, have over looked for one reason or another. van Dijk is quite a good example, and one that worked. The big boys knew about him but didn't want to take the chance. Same with Mané. All our signings are therefore a risk.

Boufal, we all know that he is phenomenally talented. We all know that he has attitude. I think it could have been a good signing, just didn't quite work out.

Carillo. Well we know that was to back the manager. V. poor choice. Expensive mistake. I guess maybe if it had worked, then it would have saved shelling out on sacking the manager. A gamble that failed.

Forster. Somewhat revisionist. Did great for the first 2 season.

Clasie. He is a good player, as evidenced by Feyenoord wanting him back. Too small for the PL?? Not enough game time? Sure, it didn't work.

Osvaldo. Buying strikers is notoriously difficult. Again an attitude came with him, one that we couldn't conquer. Maybe we should have seen that, learned a lesson with Boufal.

Gaston. Well I view this differently from others. When we got promoted, we needed to make a "big" signing to show our intent to make ourselves attractive to others.

A lot of signings succeed or fail by small margins. Some by rather larger. Whatever you say about Boufal, he was the one player over the past 18 months who genuinely I found interesting to watch.

Why do you include Tadic?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dusan did seem to gain a reputation among some off our fans as a bad egg never understood why my understanding was he was a hard worker on the training ground. Hughes was very complimentary after the Bournemouth game

“As an opposition manager I always admired Dusan,” Hughes said. “He was always a guy you worried about. Since I have come here I have been really impressed with the quality of his work, his demeanour and his personality. He deserves the success today.”

Dusan did seem to gain a reputation among some off our fans as a bad egg never understood why my understanding was he was a hard worker on the training ground. Hughes was very complimentary after the Bournemouth game

“As an opposition manager I always admired Dusan,” Hughes said. “He was always a guy you worried about. Since I have come here I have been really impressed with the quality of his work, his demeanour and his personality. He deserves the success today.”

Agree with that. He won the Bournemouth game, and that was critical to us staying up.

I'll accept he went off the boil under Pellegrino, but he wasn't the only one, and I'd say that was completely understandable when the motivation, tactics and man-management were so awful.

His improvement under Hughes was significant and his delight at us staying up was obvious.

Agree with that. He won the Bournemouth game, and that was critical to us staying up.

I'll accept he went off the boil under Pellegrino, but he wasn't the only one, and I'd say that was completely understandable when the motivation, tactics and man-management were so awful.

His improvement under Hughes was significant and his delight at us staying up was obvious.

Arguably went off the boil before that.

The opcion to buy has been set at just over 15 million euros.

Think we could have negociated a bit more than that especially if he has a very good season with them.

Recovering that much would be a result. Let's just hope it works out and he isn't sent back after his first tantrum.

With boufal and tadic out you gotta say we are looking a lot weaker in this area, we don't really know how good elyounoussi will be yet as an example every one was raving about boufal when we signed him.really hope we get a decent signing to replace boufal now

I really don’t see how the loss of Bawful has made us weaker. However much skill and talent he possesses he is not a team player - and he’s a complete fruit loop. I’d be happy to see Sims step up, but if the club bring in a direct replacement, then so be it.

With boufal and tadic out you gotta say we are looking a lot weaker in this area, we don't really know how good elyounoussi will be yet as an example every one was raving about boufal when we signed him.really hope we get a decent signing to replace boufal now

As Boufal contributed next to nothing for two seasons I'm not sure how him leaving makes us a lot weaker. In the same way we won't be a lot weaker if we lose Long or Stephens.

If Josh Sims can come in a manage 1 goal and 1 assist he has matched Boufal's contribution last season...seems like a lot of fans judge Boufal on what they think he could do rather than what he actually did do the last two seasons.

As Boufal contributed next to nothing for two seasons I'm not sure how him leaving makes us a lot weaker. In the same way we won't be a lot weaker if we lose Long or Stephens.

If Josh Sims can come in a manage 1 goal and 1 assist he has matched Boufal's contribution last season...seems like a lot of fans judge Boufal on what they think he could do rather than what he actually did do the last two seasons.

Agreed again. With Boufal gone, there isn't really anything to replace. He was totally absent for the last few games as we put together enough to stay up and the team looked better without him.

It's a bit like Ramirez, but much worse. The feeling that he could do something was always there, but his application, effort and commitment were far too weak to make it happen.

He obviously thought his one glory goal made him indispensable and a star, but that's useless when you're a passenger for 99% of the time.

Not entirely true as he had two goals and two assists. Let's be honest the whole team was suffering offensively Redmond only 1 goal 3 assists also. I still consider us weaker as it's another option we now don't have

Not entirely true as he had two goals and two assists. Let's be honest the whole team was suffering offensively Redmond only 1 goal 3 assists also. I still consider us weaker as it's another option we now don't have

Boufals stats for the last two league seasons

https://www.premierleague.com/players/12584/Sofiane-Boufal/stats?co=1&se=-1

3 goals, 2 assists in two seasons hardly the stuff of legends we are losing an option the did next to nothing for two seasons it really isn't a big deal. Jesus even JWP manged 7 goals and 7 assists in that time.

Guess the point is that Boufal or no Boufal this is an area where we’re weak, so we’re playing catch-up.

Guess the point is that Boufal or no Boufal this is an area where we’re weak, so we’re playing catch-up.

We are but arguably we had four poor transfer windows the last two years I think it is pretty unrealistic to expect us to repair all that damage in one summer. To get back up near the top of the best of the rest group might take a couple of seasons with several good transfer windows. I'd say we look better equipped for next season and a solid mid table finish will be progress.

We’ve had numbers in the attacking midfield slots for the last few seasons but very little quality, largely because Boufal and Redmond haven’t fulfilled their potential. We now have Redmond, Elyounoussi and Sims for the wide positions (and JWP as a more defensive option) and Armstrong and Davis as the two options for the central role if we play with one.

Feels like we are a wide player light; lose one of them to injury or poor form and we don’t have any attacking options from the bench.

Didn’t that puff piece by Jeremy Wilson at the end of last season refer to us constantly batting away enquiries about Boufal?

Seems strange that we were only able to loan him out if that was the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t that puff piece by Jeremy Wilson at the end of last season refer to us constantly batting away enquiries about Boufal?

Seems strange that we were only able to loan him out if that was the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe all the enquires where batted away because they where taking the ****? We where probably hoping to off load him for close to what we paid for him only stumping for this option when no decent offers came in.

Also why loan him with the window still very much open?

Could have agreed a loan with 1-2 days of window if no buyer was found.

Clubs will get desperate towards the deadline and we've moved him out too early IMHO

Maybe we need to get him off the wage bill before the window ends so we can sign another striker/winger. If we hold out then we don't have time to replace him, or if we negotiate for someone, will they wait for us to then offload Boufal?

Boufal did close to nothing for us, I don't see how his subtraction makes us weaker. In fact, based on his attitude, it could be a plus getting him out of here. Bad attitudes are infectous. This is likely why they kept him away from training, and why they just wanted to move him along.

The transfer market is just like the rest of life-imperfect. We've had some wonderful buys and some disasters. The disasters do not mean that the Club is stupid or badly managed any more than the very good buys mean the Club is perfect. That's life, get used tom it, its not going to change any time soon.

Eden Hazard is more technical than him, and shows it on the pitch during every PL game. If Boufal means that he needs more time to be "happy", then maybe he is right that Spain will allow him that. But Hazard is a happy player....and a strong one.

Sorry, can someone point me to the place where, apart from the run in with Hughes, Boufal has shown a lousy attitude? Considering he has been woefully mismanaged at Saints, this is a young kid who is desperate for a place in the team to prove himself, which the two previous defensive managers were not prepared to give him?

Sorry, can someone point me to the place where, apart from the run in with Hughes, Boufal has shown a lousy attitude? Considering he has been woefully mismanaged at Saints, this is a young kid who is desperate for a place in the team to prove himself, which the two previous defensive managers were not prepared to give him?

That's just as much conjecture as the he has attitude theory TBF. No one has got a clue why he didn't feature much under three different managers.

Agree, think there's is way too much harshness on boufal, in my view I think he was becoming really frustrated with not being able to get a run of games going in the side, you could see this with the west brim goal his celebration was see this is what I can do if you pick me ! But in my opinion he just wanted to play.

As for the run in with Hughes probably a simular case of getting fed up of being left out again, yes it's not very professional but you can kinda see why he was frustrated being a talented player stuck on the bench all the time or the first one dragged off., I doubt people will agree on here as it seems if your not playing your not good enough attitude goes, but I don't think we done enough to get the best out of him,

Same goes for gabbiadini, super talented striker in a struggling team yet for most of the season stuck on the bench or brought on at a time where it's usually to late for him to make much impact, surprised he hasn't become frustrated in the same way as boufal but really hope he gets a good first team run going this year, although I worry as Hughes was preferring long in his time here so far.

I only have the evidence of my own eyes. I watched a U23 match where it was clear he didn't want to be there, and looked for all the worls like he was trying to get himself sent off before eventually being hooked.

The real issue for me tough, was he couldn't be trusted to play for the team. When he lost the ball we culd all see him work hard to get it back, but it often felt like he did so only to try to do the impossible again. More than one commentator remarked on how he seemed to want to be the best player in the playground - but this is top level football. You can't score a wonder goaleverytime you play which, it seems to me, was all he was interested in doing.

Bags of ability, but flawed.

I only have the evidence of my own eyes. I watched a U23 match where it was clear he didn't want to be there, and looked for all the worls like he was trying to get himself sent off before eventually being hooked.

The real issue for me tough, was he couldn't be trusted to play for the team. When he lost the ball we culd all see him work hard to get it back, but it often felt like he did so only to try to do the impossible again. More than one commentator remarked on how he seemed to want to be the best player in the playground - but this is top level football. You can't score a wonder goaleverytime you play which, it seems to me, was all he was interested in doing.

The second part doesn't scream bad attitude for me, rather that is the type of player he is. Not sure about U23's as not seen that.

However I have seen far more 'bad attitude' from Redmond on the pitch.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

[/b]

That's just as much conjecture as the he has attitude theory TBF. No one has got a clue why he didn't feature much under three different managers.

Exactly my point, so then why are we all jumping to conclusions.

It's the same as the Bertrand doesn't care narrative, because he doesn't smile.

I think that's a fair summary. He could have been the yeast in a very stodgy mix but he wanted to be the whole loaf. As you say, he did work hard, used to chase and snap back defensively for example, but there was something missing, and I could never work out quite what. If he was a true goalscorer he'd have been happy with a shin in from a metre, or setting up such a goal, and if he'd been a true professional he'd have ripped up that U23 match as if to say 'look!'.

It's interesting to read what the academy player Enzo Robise says in his interview after coming over from France: how much more serious everything is here, but he seems to be relishing the challenge of leaving home and learning a new language, and that attitude seems far healthier.