Cedric Signs New Contract!

SuperSAINT

Ridiculous. How dare this joke of a board tie down another quality player to a long term contract. A player that last season most fans were astounded was not an automatic choice, who then went on to help his country win the Euro championship and now has the nerve to take the **** by showing some loyalty to the club we support by signing a contract that effectively means the club and its supporters can only benefit from all outcomes. I'm livid! If I had a season ticket, it would be in pieces now. I'm so annoyed that our leaders are showing some initiative and building a squad and not bringing in the mercenaries that we so desperately need. Yet another signing that continues our slow, yet determined, rise towards the top of the football pyramid. I long for the days where I get the mikey taken out of me from Forest and County fans, both Notts and Derby. When will this club we support stop taking the long term view and throw everything into a one time gamble. I'm sick of it now.

Seriously, whilst we wait for the big, marquee signings, the club have done brilliantly this window in keeping the core squad together. Very, very impressed and this news about Cedric Soares is brilliant. We are so well run and Marcus would be so happy.

Of course his critics will be on here quite soon saying we've been landed with him for another 4 years......I for one say " great " . Well done Les ".

Yes... he's still fairly young, but few players we are likely to sign have been in a European winning side, and he does well alongside Fonte.

Cedric is improving all the time, but few players adapt to the Prem. in their first season (although VvD was a good exception).

He's brave, and fights for the cause, and took a few bangs in the face resulting in blood and black eyes last season.

Defenders take the blame for mistakes all the time, but many wingers are fast and it's hard to be a good wing-back and be a top class FB at the same time.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Cedric developing nicely. Struggled with the power of the PL when he first came here, but unlike Clasie has really got to grips with it this season and is looking a very good PL right back at the moment.

Good going forward, rarely gets mugged off defensively and has a good name.

Cedric developing nicely. Struggled with the power of the PL when he first came here, but unlike Clasie has really got to grips with it this season and is looking a very good PL right back at the moment.

Good going forward, rarely gets mugged off defensively and has a good name.

yep, he is doing very well.

Definitely improved this season. Hopefully Hojbjerg manages a similar step-up next season.

Van Dijk

Cedric

Bertrand

Romeu

Boufal

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Add in the improving JWP and reliable Yoshida and, if there aren't big departures, we're only a couple of decent signings away from being a very good team.

Definitely improved this season. Hopefully Hojbjerg manages a similar step-up next season.

Van Dijk

Cedric

Bertrand

Romeu

Boufal

Tadic

Redmond

Gabbiadini

Add in the improving JWP and reliable Yoshida and, if there aren't big departures, we're only a couple of decent signings away from being a very good team.

A goalkeeper, centre back and defensive midfielder away from being a class squad IMO

We could already have them here if Forster can get back to the table, Caceres can get fit and Hoejbjerg can fulfill his potential. Can see some really quality and depth on this squad

• 4 weeks later...

"Southampton are keen to keep hold of the Euro 2016 winner, but they are bracing themselves for interest in Soares this summer with City and several other big clubs keeping tabs on his progress".

Cedric is happy here, he has a long contract, Ralph says we don't want to keep selling our best players, negotiations on a selling price to the Chinese are on-going, a new owner will want the assets that already exist before deciding on future needs and we are the patsies who just give in when City can't prise their preferred targets away from bigger clubs... you couldn't make it up but of course they just did!

City can have all the interest they like in their third choice option to replace ageing players but no way is this going any further than paper-talk.

Do the press not understand that we might actually have spotted the potential of a - Soares, Carceras, van Dyke, Bertrand - back line ?

Cedric is happy here but that doesn't mean he would equally be quite happy doubling his money and playing for a team that will win titles over the next 5 years.

Same as interest in any other of our players. Realism is required: if there is genuine interest (always hard to tell) then it will always be attractive to the player.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw the back page of the Star today with a feature about Cedric headlined 'Saints will know when to let me go'. I didn't read the article as it was inside the paper or a supplement, but the headline indicates a bit of posturing and indecent haste looking for the summer exit door already.

Of course the headline might be misleading and he goes on to say he wants to still be playing for us aged 65 or something.

Saw the back page of the Star today with a feature about Cedric headlined 'Saints will know when to let me go'. I didn't read the article as it was inside the paper or a supplement, but the headline indicates a bit of posturing and indecent haste looking for the summer exit door already.

Of course the headline might be misleading and he goes on to say he wants to still be playing for us aged 65 or something.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-star/20170415/282097751574557

Doesn't read too well. Sounds like he's expecting to be let go if someone comes in for him.

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-star/20170415/282097751574557

Doesn't read too well. Sounds like he's expecting to be let go if someone comes in for him.

Its hardly a suprise, its a good summary of our business model.

These players wouldn't join in the firsy place unless they knew we would allow them to move on when a bigger, better, richer club comes in for them.

Anyone who joins Saints under the age of 25 or 26 and is still here 5 years later will probably not have progressed as they, or we, expected.

Its hardly a suprise, its a good summary of our business model.

These players wouldn't join in the firsy place unless they knew we would allow them to move on when a bigger, better, richer club comes in for them.

Anyone who joins Saints under the age of 25 or 26 and is still here 5 years later will probably not have progressed as they, or we, expected.

You've nailed it there. People say "why are we letting players go?' but don't seem to understand that's our model to survive and not become a Leeds, Forest, Sheffield, Villa If VVD's still here in two years then somethings gone wrong.

You've nailed it there. People say "why are we letting players go?' but don't seem to understand that's our model to survive and not become a Leeds, Forest, Sheffield, Villa If VVD's still here in two years then somethings gone wrong.

Mouthbreathers just don't get it though!

basically, we have to sell 3 or so of our best player every summer to not go bust

now we are no longer best of the rest, cant see why we have to sell anyone other than VvD?

Edited by Batman

:lol:

I was following you until that last sentence!

• 2 months later...