Saints v Sunderland match thread

Edmonton Saint

I know the match threads are always negative ********, but in each game so far I've only seen 5-10 minutes of saints being alright. And that's alright, not good. Mane and pelle and wanyama would stroll into this side so we can't have spent that well so far.

Saying that I still think the formation is a bigger problem that the sales.

Totally agree. Is there any chance he will change the formation?

Last 20 minutes has been awful. Unfortunately Romeu has been a liability and I don;t understand long balls up top when Redmond is the only one there.

Surely Puel has to recognize that this formation has nothing going for it. FFS we are being battered by Sunderland at home!

Apart from the opening 10 minutes that was an awful first half from Saints. Making Sunderland look much better than they really are. I hope Puel can either motivate the players or be much more tactically flexible in the second half.

Thing is, if we're going to be rubbish, can't we be 2-2 at h/t sort of rubbish rather than predictably 0-0?!

We are incredibly boring right now.

Indeed. It's the manner of our performances and how toothless we are that is the worry. If it stays like this then it's two points from Watford and Sunderland at home which is very poor.

What an absolute pile of sh1t. Lucky they're sh1t too, but our luck won't last forever

The diamond is b()ll****. Not one player buys it. OK, well, maybe one, Tadic.

Body language is awful.

Still the same evident problems - teams just bypass our midfield with ease.

We badly need a defensive midfielder.

Romeu is not a good option for DM at all. Pigeon holing Hojberg there will nullify him. We need a DM FFS

An attacking midfielder won't magically sort our problems... they are deeper rooted than that. I do wonder what the players are thinking.

I'd drop Redmond back to midfield where he belongs and bring on Long. Our midfield has been terrible, and Redmond looks MUCH better when he is farther from the goal in space. I still don't see why Puel thinks Redmond as a true striker is such a great idea.

I'd drop Redmond back to midfield where he belongs and bring on Long. Our midfield has been terrible, and Redmond looks MUCH better when he is farther from the goal in space. I still don't see why Puel thinks Redmond as a true striker is such a great idea.

However I don't think Puel will do this. Instead he'll drop Austin, who has given us our only 2 real chances, for Long and leave "little Henry" up front.

We were decent for the first 15 mins or so.

What happened?

Has Moyes made a tactical change, or have gone off the boil?

Any team can start with a bit of a flurry, tbf... A good team does it consistently and look like they know what they're doing. We don't.

No patterning of play. Just ponderously crap stuff going forward and easy to slice through when "defending". Alot of last ditch crap...

Good start, Sunderland was clueless how to pickup Tadic but soon as they figured that out we looked pretty terrible. The thing i hate the most about this bloody system we play in (besides it just doesnt suit our players) that there's no pressure on the ball at all. Sunderland is allowed to play it around far too easily.

This doesnt going to end well if we keep this up.

Totally agree. Is there any chance he will change the formation?

Strikes me as the stubborn type who will persist. Apart from the first 10 minutes this has been very poor against one of the weakest teams in the league which is further weakened through injury.

Not good. Started off well, but once Sunderland got closer to Radical and marked him the game changed. Romeu Austin, Davis and Fonte have been dreadful, Redmond anonymous other than talking his way into the book.

At least get Romeu off and move Hojbjerg back.

I'm at the game and I couldn't wait for half time.

Puel needs to motivate this team for a big second half. Tap tap across the back, slowly inch forward, then back again. It's the formation that's to blame, not the players.

Atmosphere dead, as there is nothing to cheer. Get Redmond wide right, tadic wide left and Austin in the middle.

Some limited booing at ht, aimed I believe at the manager rather than the team.

Has got to get better.

Ps can we sign Defoe please, he is the best player on the pitch!