Saints v Sunderland match thread

Edmonton Saint

It's easy to ridicule the diamond formation but there isn't enough talent in the starting XI. Austin is lumbering around, lack of creativity and bite in the midfield, Redmond for Mane (barf) and Targett is no Bertrand.

It is what it is.

Also calling out Puel so early and him not having the dressing room on his side is fantasy talk, who the hell knows and most likely that guess us crap as everyone on the team is a professional.

It's easy to ridicule the diamond formation but there isn't enough talent in the starting XI. Austin is lumbering around, lack of creativity and bite in the midfield, Redmond for Mane (barf) and Targett is no Bertrand.

It is what it is.

Also calling out Puel so early and him not having the dressing room on his side is fantasy talk, who the hell knows and most likely that guess us crap as everyone on the team is a professional.

It's the formation. No two ways about it

It's the formation. No two ways about it

My point is what formation does this substandard team compared to last year thrive in? Magically going to another formation doesn't create more with the players that are on the pitch currently. Mane isn't screaming down the wing pushing defenders back, Wanyama is destroying in front of Fonte and VVD and the team didn't really bring in any upgrades for players that weren't sold.

I'm hoping for a comfortable bottom half finish this year as it appears to my eye the brain trust at St. Mary's wants to take a breath and retool as I surely haven't seen ambition from them in the offseason.

has puel even watched the premier league? if the diamond thing was a good idea why does no one employ it?

Because it's incredibly easy to play against. We are narrow with the ball and therefore create little, and narrow without it which gives them an easy out ball and with the full backs out of position the centre backs get exposed out wide in places they have no interest in being

Because it's incredibly easy to play against. We are narrow with the ball and therefore create little, and narrow without it which gives them an easy out ball and with the full backs out of position the centre backs get exposed out wide in places they have no interest in being

yet it suits french football?

Diamond might work in tippy tappy tepid French football but is is not suited to the cut and thrust of the 100mph Premier League. If it aint broke don't fix it is a good maxim but for some crazy reason we've decided to abandon a style of play that served us well for this turgid diamond formation. I get the feeling someone at the club has been too clever by half and it's backfired.

This diamond formation is utter sh**e. Every time we lose the ball/gain the ball there are gaping gaps on the flanks as we are not playing with width. Leaves us open all the time and this is not the French league where play is far slower and methodical.

This diamond formation is utter sh**e. Every time we lose the ball/gain the ball there are gaping gaps on the flanks as we are not playing with width. Leaves us open all the time and this is not the French league where play is far slower and methodical.

and a much lower standard.

Diamond might work in tippy tappy tepid French football but is is not suited to the cut and thrust of the 100mph Premier League. If it aint broke don't fix it is a good maxim but for some crazy reason we've decided to abandon a style of play that served us well for this turgid diamond formation. I get the feeling someone at the club has been too clever by half and it's backfired.

Who would that be?

It is what it is.

Gotta say these players looked a damned sight more capable when playing a proper formation though

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk