Saints 1 Sunderland 1 Match Reaction

Heisenberg

In the end, the players made a fist of it and saved us......NOT PUEL!

I've never been a wrist slitter, but I've just taken a look in the knife drawer for future reference.

To me, it looked like the players tried all day long to execute a system that, not only are they new to, but also had little faith in. Forget any great new last minute signings, because anyone we sign will have the same problems with a disjointed team as our current players.

Its fallen apart following a clash of egos between Reed and RK, ending up with a poor replacement.

Plus - Hojberg aside - some questionable quality of signings. Never mind perhaps Puel can spend £20m on a bloke with an injury to rescue us. Hope by the time Boufall gets on the pitch he isn't ****ed off by the fact the French speaking bloke he signed for has been sacked.

Pretty atrocious result against a very weak team.

Pretty worried about results, performances, formation, the length of time took coach to actually try and change things.

Not completely turned on management but massive improvement required to show the basic level of performance required.

Positives, we got a point, Jrod scored which should stop this nonsense of him being kicked out on loan.

Seriously, how long do we give Puel? Not bedwetting I am asking a serious question here.

I don't think he'll make Xmas he just doesn't seem the right fit for us & I don't think the players respect his diamond system

Dull!!, even at this early stage I bet even some of the hardened clappies are starting to slightly drip in their mattresses.

I hope these new signings will make a difference, although the best one might still be injured for a few weeks more:mcinnes:.

And I am going to the Emirates next week, deep joy!!.

Edited by Saint Billy

I don't think he'll make Xmas he just doesn't seem the right fit for us & I don't think the players respect his diamond system

If he does not change the diamond system and we are near the foot of the table then the Board won't have an option. Could be a more expensive mistake than paying RK £6 million !

Atrocious result, dire sunderland side and there's no chance we deserved to win. We'd have lost without a huge slice of luck.

Horribly congested midfield third game in a row, no creativity or width third game in a row. Long seems to have gone massively backwards, tadic looks confused in a new role he didn't need or want. Austin looks pretty poor and we miss wanyama in front of defence.

Mostly just painfully painfully boring. Body language terrible from the start. Entertaining injury time going for it but why did it wait until then?

Only positive was Rodriguez but is he even staying?! I'd start him for a while given how poor other strikers have been. Delighted for him but not sure saints deserved the equaliser.

Trying not to judge puel too early but I despise this formation.

Did you watch the game???

Off bloody course we deserved the equaliser.....Sunderland were no better than us and to be honest they were worse.....how many saves did Forster have to actually make?

We had 64% possession and 16 shots to their 5!

I agree that the players seem to be finding the formation not to their liking but they are trying. I'm as upset by another 2 dropped points at home to a crap side as you....but dont say we didnt at least deserve a point!

Seriously, how long do we give Puel? Not bedwetting I am asking a serious question here.

The writing is already on the wall, but we are obsessed with our P&L and it would cost us nearly £10 million to sack him

The diamond simply doesn't work but we have hired a manager that knows no other way to play.

Looks like a dreadful appointment

Pretty dreadful but I don't blame any of the players, all of them worked bloody hard but clearly do not suit the formation being asked of them. We've acually made a couple of really good signings in Redmond and Hojbjerg. Everyone knows what our best team and formation is but we have hired a stubborn manager who refuses to change it. Be very surprised if he makes it to Christmas

Ok, I've calmed down a bit now. haha

We definitely deserved a draw. Their keeper made some really decent saves but i'd still change this formation. You can really see from the players body language on the pitch that they aren't enjoying it at all.

Diamond this, diamond that, there is not a single difference between a diamond and a 4-3-3. Not one. In fact we are playing the exact same way we did under Poch, the players' average position and heat maps prove this.

The problem is lack of quality, we create chances, far more than Watford and Sunderland and not much less than Man Utd but can't hit a barn door and then get undone by individual mistakes at the back. We miss Mané basically, he was our entire attack.

Diamond this, diamond that, there is not a single difference between a diamond and a 4-3-3. Not one. In fact we are playing the exact same way we did under Poch, the players' average position and heat maps prove this.

The problem is lack of quality, we create chances, far more than Watford and Sunderland and not much less than Man Utd but can't hit a barn door and then get undone by individual mistakes at the back. We miss Mané basically, he was our entire attack.

We clearly are not playing the same way, are we

The system being played is just not right for the underperforming players that we have. Things have to change and quickly or the manager will have the fans on his back after a very poor start to the season.

The fans are already on his back. A lot of boos today.

Forster - 3rd game in a row where all he had to do was pick the ball olut the net really. No saves to make otherwise

Cedric - Looked better today, got forward well.

Fonte - Not at the races, dumb penalty to give away.

VVD - OK

Targett - Hurry back Bertrand

Romeu - Sloppy, not good enough to start.

Hojbjerg - Fairly good

Davis - Just there, could play Clasie or JWP and you'd notice no difference really

Tadic - Bright start then faded badly. Team improved when he went off and Redmond played in the 10 position.

Redmond - Not a CF, looked good as a number 10 since he either played the ball quickly or ran at their defence.

Offsi...Austin - Seems to have forgotten about the offside rule.

Subs:

JWP - Just there again.

Rodriguez - Did very well, maybe he showed enough for Puel to reconsider loaning him out.

Long - lots of running, but no quality.

International break now so time for them to work on the shortcomings in the tactics/team.

Hopefully we get a good DM to replace Romeu and change tactics in one of two ways

- Go back to 4-2-3-1 OR

- Be a bit more adventurous in the make up of the diamond. Play Romeu (or hopefully a new DM)/Hojbjerg/Tadic with Redmond as the number 10 sionce he is more direct in behind two of Austin/Long/Rodriguez.

Dull!!, even at this early stage I bet even some of the hardened clappies are starting to slightly drip in their mattresses.

I hope these new signings will make a difference, although the best one might still be injured for a few weeks more:mcinnes:.

And I am going to the Emirates next week, deep joy!!.

youll be the only one at the emirates then,coz the rest of us will be there on sept 10,hth

That is absolute crap mate. Watch the game. We are playing very differently to how we did under poch and the new formation isn't working. I'll agree that we need some more quality but the formation is holding us back atm.

Jose was ****, nothing wrong with the formation at all, we created chances and were let down by offside calls and poor finishing.

You're all making ridiculous claims and I don't know how some of you function when you're in such a state of permanent distress over our football club.