Saints 1 Sunderland 1 Match Reaction

Heisenberg

I only got to see 60 minutes today. Fonte made 4 mistakes. Big mistakes. We always say Yoshida is good for 1 boneheaded play, well......

Redmond should not pay in the middle. Maybe after a few months of training, but not now and not starting.

Romeu isn't ready for this formation. He needs to be able drop deep into the formation to allow both fullbacks to engage higher up the pitch.

We are not Barca, but we need to use a false 9, if we want to be affective in a 4-3-3. Widen the top 2 attackers and push Romeu back.

--------FF--------------

---Fonte---VvD--------

Cedric--------Bertrand

-------Romeu----------

--Hoj---------Davis----

--------Tadic-----------

Long--------------J-Rod

Thing is Redmond had his best spell once he moved into the middle behind the strikers after Tadic went off loads of direct running and 1-2s couple of chances.

Vvd's comments highly relevant. Puel needs to go if either results dont improve or they do, but we end up playing possession based football. Why change the system when it wasnt broke? What happened to the template?

Have you considered that the club might want to do this? Puel isn't going anywhere anytime soon and people calling for it already well there are no words really....

We need another attacker (at least) and I think another defensive midfielder to take the heat of Romeu. But, mainly, we need a change of formation.

I agree with this and put the players in positions where they are strong. Think someone also needs to give Puel a crash course on the PL, media pressure etc. (before we crash) - and can someone find him another phrase instead of "It's important that . . . "

Disappointing game.

Hojbjerg and Redmond are big positives though.

I would genuinely be interested to hear why you think Redmond is a big positive. From my point of view he was pretty anonymous and ineffective up front (and has been in all three games) but has looked better running from deep. That said, he only moved position yesterday with about 10 mins to go so would be interested to know what you saw that made him a big positive. Decent player I think but has hardly set the world alight yet (appreciate its only early days though).

I would genuinely be interested to hear why you think Redmond is a big positive. From my point of view he was pretty anonymous and ineffective up front (and has been in all three games) but has looked better running from deep. That said, he only moved position yesterday with about 10 mins to go so would be interested to know what you saw that made him a big positive. Decent player I think but has hardly set the world alight yet (appreciate its only early days though).

That was the big positive play him there (in Tadic's position behind Long and Jrod/Austin) playing like he did for the last twenty minutes and we have a player. Playing him upfront with his back to goal asking him to win headers from long punts up field and he is pointless. TBH I'm struggling to imagine that Puel is asking our players to punt aimless balls to Redmond's head but that's what was happening in the first half of both home games so maybe his team mates need to take a look at themselves.

We do not need another striker. We have J-Rod. We need to play him instead of loaning him out to one of our rivals.

PS. Puel is a ****ing moron.

I'm not sure we can rely on JRod on the basis of yesterday's cameo TBH.

Surprised anyone can think Redmond was a positive. The fact remains that currently, we have Targett over Bertrand, Romeu over Wanyama, Austin over Pelle and Redmond over Mane. That's 4 changes to the team that seriously weaken us compared to last season and it's absolutely no surprise we're doing poorly.

In the end, the players made a fist of it and saved us......NOT PUEL!

I've never been a wrist slitter, but I've just taken a look in the knife drawer for future reference.

To me, it looked like the players tried all day long to execute a system that, not only are they new to, but also had little faith in. Forget any great new last minute signings, because anyone we sign will have the same problems with a disjointed team as our current players.

True. Over the last few years Saints have improved their players making good players, very good to excellent, but I watched in disbelief a collective tepid and bewildered Saints low in confidence, lost and uncertain where others were or should be, kicking wild and generally playing well below their capabilities. It doesn't look good. Thank goodness for Jay, another quality player that the manager wants out of St Mary's. It was not only the ref who didn't know what he was doing.

Surprised anyone can think Redmond was a positive. The fact remains that currently, we have Targett over Bertrand, Romeu over Wanyama, Austin over Pelle and Redmond over Mane. That's 4 changes to the team that seriously weaken us compared to last season and it's absolutely no surprise we're doing poorly.

Yes I agree it is disappointing but hardly surprising realistically it is impossible for the team to improve every season with new players and coaches and a new system but I do feel that this squad could be really good in a couple of years if we support their development and not moan and whinge.

But being in the Europa League is not going to help either with League position

I'm not sure we can rely on JRod on the basis of yesterday's cameo TBH.

No, not yet playing 90 minutes, but if he needs game time it would be better that it were here, coming on when he can make an impact. He can score goals and seemed more match fit than others.

I'm in a minority on here that thought we alright and clearly aren't a million miles off being a good team again.

My few criticisms though are;

1) Not playing the through ball to our forwards early enough. The amount of times they were off side or had to keep checking back on their runs was ridiculous.

2) This system relies so much on having real quality full backs, providing width, getting crosses in and the defensive duties. Neither were bad yesterday, but still not at the level needed in this system.

3) Taking a pass too many and too long on the ball, getting caught in possession. Key part of the way we're set up and being calm and taking time on the ball is not necessarily a bad thing, but we cut it fine too often and got caught out a couple of times.

4) Booing from fans. Utter cretins.

5) How the f**k can a team time waste as much as Sunderland throughout the game and only 4mins are added on at the end.

I'm in a minority on here that thought we alright and clearly aren't a million miles off being a good team again.

1) Not playing the through ball to our forwards early enough. The amount of times they were off side or had to keep checking back on their runs was ridiculous.

2) This system relies so much on having real quality full backs, providing width, getting crosses in and the defensive duties. Neither were bad yesterday, but still not at the level needed in this system.

3) Taking a pass too many and too long on the ball, getting caught in possession. Key part of the way we're set up and being calm and taking time on the ball is not necessarily a bad thing, but we cut it fine too often and got caught out a couple of times.

5) How the f**k can a team time waste as much as Sunderland throughout the game and only 4mins are added on at the end.

Very good post. About sums it up for me.

@ Guan @ AR-10

From reading the articles that were posted on here when Puel signed I gather that he is the type of coach that will develop players and adapt his methods to the tools at his disposal. I'd like to see some evidence of the latter and then the former. Davis looks horribly out of sorts at times because he wants to come central and go forward and has to check back and at least once yesterday ended up standing around looking completely lost.

It is extremely disconcerting to see players arguing with each other. And probably rightly so. Why do there seem to be so many players not doing the 'right thing' and why so many last-ditch tackles? Why any at all - see how organised we were under RK (who, I think, underachieved)?

We need a Paul Scholes: someone to hit the right pass early; then the likes of Austin aren't offside. And he carries a goal threat; Redmond does not. Clasie could be good with that if he can be covered by at least one very good and very defensive-minded player.

I think Bouffal will not play like Hazard as we do not play like Chelsea. If he slows us down even more (and he's not a goal-machine so the goals will still have to come from somewhere) we'll just see lesser teams let us play up until the final third then we'll play in front of them and have a lot of ineffective long-distance shots and the teams with the good midfields and who press will batter us. We look as bad/worse than we did under Poortliviert.

I've said before Redmond flatters to deceive: ultimately where is the end-product? Where is the part where we have the opposition panicking and being turned and out of position because we've caught them out?

Puel needs to do his press appearances with a decent translator; at least then we'll know what he actually thinks/can say. Currently he's approaching Adkins-esque levels of gibberish at times; "interesting possibilities", meaning what? "choices/options"? And I actually quite like him but I don't like seeing us as possibly the worst team I've seen in this league this year. And for those who still don't get it: the French speak with a very level tone and little intonation unlike e.g. the Italians who have a very rhythmic speech. It's what he does, deal with it and stop expecting him to be a media-trained 'darling' and that how he looks/sounds means he's any good. That's just bs: substance is worth far more than your narrow perception of 'style'.

JRod should just be played until he cracks it or he cracks. I think he'll do the former.

If Fonte stays this ****, get rid.

On the youth front. Teach Targett to use his other foot. Teach him to pick a forward pass quickly and then move for the return. This is on the assumption that he'll never be a dribber of any sort as he hasn't demonstrated it yet. Teach him to kick a ball straight. And tackle. One ok free kick and a couple of ok-ish looking balls swung in does not make him a player. Luke Shaw replacement? Did someone put that is his file as an April Fools' joke and no-one has yet picked it up? I think players don't pass to him because they know he'll do little/nothing with it. I bet Bertie gets far more of the ball.

And for those who are looking forward to going to Europe. How well do you think we'll do in the group stages playing as we are? Nil points, nil goals, 6 penalties against?

In terms of looking at Puel's credentials we'll have to see what has happened by the end of October.

As an aside I looked at France's most succesful managerial export to this country. Apart from when he inherited George Graham's defence he hasn't done a huge amount and he has far better players/finances/a name at his disposal than we have. So I'd like to see Puel eat, breathe, sleep and **** Southampton FC during his tenure here and become proficient in English by the end of the season.

Good post

I see it the same way. We're not moving the ball quickly enough nor making the right decisions, nor, as you say, even seeing the runs. It all gets a bit too static and predictable. Indicators of a team struggling with a new system. Nothing is coming naturally or instinctively. For that to happen, all of the team must be up to speed with the new system. The players need to get their heads around it. I recall Lambert saying that the players didn't like Pochettino's methods at first but once they'd accepted them everything clicked.

:thumbup:

Top post and agreed totally.

Totally agree. I was one o the few hundred who watched our U23's beat Man U on Monday and as far as I could tell, Hunter was not playing a diamond. This leaves me wondering just what The Southampton Way is any more?

On a better note Ty Johnson the young winger we picked up from Watford is the real deal so don't be surprised if he gets a first team call before too long... a new Walcott? Could be.

I got excited just then! ... ... ... but then I remembered we don't play with wingers anymore.

:thumbup:

Absolutely spot on - everything you say is right.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Europa cup cut in the grass on the pitch.

Is that what it was? Looked like the groundsman had gone to work after a heavy night on the falling down water. No wonder the linos had a terrible time with their decisions with all of those skewed lines in the grass.

Is that what it was? Looked like the groundsman had gone to work after a heavy night on the falling down water. No wonder the linos had a terrible time with their decisions with all of those skewed lines in the grass.

Didn't they say on MOTD that it would need to be changed before we played the Europa games?

Spot on in my view. Was at the game and came away with similar positives. Occasionally we were caught on the ball but in general when we were on top was when we moved the ball quickly. Fraser was hardly troubled and we had more shots on target than usual. I think we do miss Ryan Bertrand though.

Agree with all of this, but on the first point I would add the reverse is true too - there were a number of occasions where a through ball couldn't be made as our forwards were already offside and were slow coming back. JRod did this twice; an attack broke down, ball ended up back with us in midfield, JRod was slowly walking back into an offside position which wasted a chance for a quick attack, so we had to keep passing it amongst ourselves and wait.

It suggests that we are indeed adjusting to a new way of playing and thinking, which is hard for the likes of JRod if you're sat on the bench.

Good post. It's pretty clear that Tadic (or whoever is playing in the number 10 role) is imperative to us doing well in this system. He was on song for about 20-25 minutes at Old Trafford and we fashioned a few decent chances and were generally on top but when he's struggling we just can't get anything going. No coincidence that we pepped up once Redmond replaced an ineffectual Tadic and started driving forward from deep, just wish we'd made the switch earlier.

Completely agree about the taking a pass too many and overplaying we got caught so many times and it was telling that even decent players like Hojberg were getting caught and giving it away.

On the fullbacks, Bertrand coming back will boost us but, if Cedric isn't good enough, is there anything we can really do about our lack of quality?

My main concern is the apparent lack of team morale and mood in the camp, maybe we are all reading too much into it and they are just as frustrated as us at having dropped points in games we should be winning.

The booing was for the ref. Although some ****s near us did seem to have a moan at Tadic going off, even though he was largely anonymous just before making way.

It's clear that Puel doesn't know his best midfield or attackers yet - or indeed how to get the best out of them. We also still need to find out if we have fullbacks that fit this formation. Due to injuries and euro to be fair he hasn't really had a chance to find out, and has taken a bit of a gamble in starting with a new system which theoretically should see us improve when we get used to it.

All that said serious questions should be asked how a winger supposedly bought in to replace Juanmi has become our number 1 striker. There is simply no excuse for that and smacks a little of arrogance given his performances in this role.

I have a suspicion that Puel isn't happy with the squad despite what he is saying, and the players need a win or great performance post the break to nullify clear concerns they have as them losing faith would be hugely problematic (then it becomes a choice of system or manager change).

I suspect Romeu and Davis will continue to struggle in this system and it's pretty clear that Puel isn't a fan of JWP or Claise so ironically our midfield still looks thin in this new set up.

Arsenal will be interesting - I expect a pretty dull one goal defeat as that back 5 do not look capable of clean sheets presently (despite a stat I read somewhere that we have had the 3rd least ****s on target against). I'm hoping that we actually create some decent chances (not stat based - actually realistic chances) given Arsenal theoretically are exactly the kind of side this formation should work against (congest midfield, quick balls through to pacy Fwds against an average def.

Unfortunately I didn't get to even listen to the match today, But I heard the crowd were chanting for Booze at halftime? If Saintsweb users could pick any two posistions to strengthen, what would they be? And would you say that the manager is feeling the pressure from fans if he changes his stance from 'We are happy with what we have', to the more honest 'We are looking to bring a couple in' ?

Need to give Puel and the players time. Where I sit in the Northam, already seems that many have made their minds up about Puel and the formation. Its nowhere near as bad as some are making out although its not great either. Obvious that players are struggling with the formation but its not as if we are not fashioning chances.

The passing can be a little slow at times but when we quicken it, we do look half decent (i.e first 10-20mins and last 20mins).

Need an attacker with a serious goal threat. There were numerous times in the first 20 yesterday that we were inside the box with a shooting opportunity but didn't take it. Reminded me Arsenal and trying to pass it in.

Like others, not overly convinced with the formation but can see what he's trying to do. Austin looked completely off the pace after a pretty good start (fitness?) and there was a different awe around JRod when he came on. Didn't think Targett had a bad game tbf and Bertrand will sort that out. Fonte was a little worrying but not 100% yet.

In an ideal world, two pacey attakers with a goal threat (if Jay Rod leaves - which he shouldn't), one attacker if he stays.

People calling for Puel's head after 3 games is a little bewildering. We were a lot, lot worse at the start of last season. The 0-3 Everton home game was one of the worst performances I had seen.

People calling for Puel's head after 3 games is a little bewildering. We were a lot, lot worse at the start of last season. The 0-3 Everton home game was one of the worst performances I had seen.

Not seen anyone actually demanding his sacking yet. A lot of misgivings expressed though.

Poch and Ron are 2 hard acts to follow, and an unknown like Puel isn't going to get the grace that say an Emery or Garcia might.

I'd agree with that and your criticisms. On points 1 & 3, when we did pass forward quickly and it got cut out you feel the impatience of the crowd. I'm afraid we can't have it both ways. Our full backs aren't bad but Targett just hasn't got the pace physically and his crossing is getting more threatening but it'll be good to get Bertrand back.

Frustrating again .

Tadic has to produce if he's going to play in the 10 . If he doesn't you may as well revert to a 4-4-2 .

I thought this diamond was meant to produce 2 on 1's which we could exploit , but all I've seen is possession where the opposition let us have it but no penetration at all . The systems only part of the problem , players are just not performing . Long & OR have been particularly disappointing so far . Redmond has flattered to deceive , but there is something there and is worth perservering with . Ryan B will make a massive difference to the balance and with a couple of tweaks , and some key players getting form back there's no need to panic . It maybe a case of one step back , two steps forward .

I really don't buy blaming everything on Puel and the diamond. For one thing you could just as easily call our system 4-1-3-2 - as we've played many times before. Romeo playing ahead of the back four... We were by far the better side, and on another day win by a couple goals. It's completely self-destructive to start turning on Puel. Any individual match can go wrong. He's trying to create a strategic advantage for Saints. Give him a break. I predict that over the next four matches it'll start to come good big time.

Thought Davis had a terrific game, and completely thrilled for J-Rod. That could prove a huge boost to his self-confidence and recovery. If he comes back to his best, the season suddenly looks a whole lot better. JWP had an impressive cameo too, I thought. A yard different on his free-kick, and we're all celebrating Puel's genius substitution.

i agree with this post. Romeo was really poor and we need realistic option to replace him as clasie is too leightweight. Austin looks unfit but hope he will improve with game time. Redmond is so not a striker because of his lack of strength. when he dropped into the nunber 10 role he had space to pick up the ball turn and use his strength in running at the Centree backs.

jay rod and and long has the potential if a decent partnership if given time to develop.

targett whilst a steady / solid enough fullback he doesnt have either the pace or confidence to look to overlap and provide width.

Well, this place has exploded.

Anyway, lots of nearly moments yesterday - it's a shame Austin couldn't keep onside/Davis couldn't play his passes fractionally earlier because there were two or three one on one with the goalkeeper situations which could've materialised. Didn't think we looked like losing either, but then Fonte had that horror moment. I'm going to remain patient with the diamond, but I do think it is a formation inherently suited to athleticism, something we lack, particularly in midfield. Davis/Rom/Hojbjerg certainly aren't the sprightliest, and shifting from left to right/right to left to protect the fullbacks isn't their forte. Davis in particular struggles defensively (personally think Clasie would be better suited, but then you do lose the incisive passing of Davis). Players like Schneiderlin would be perfect to flank the deeper lying DM, but since that's a no-go, we'll probably have to get used to teams dominating us with their width. Thought Romeo improved during the second half too. I'm certainly not going to write him off like many here are doing because of two games, but he does seem a tad lackadaisical. That'll go eventually though, and he'll be solid again. You can't replace players because they have a few poor games.

Tadic competing with CBs for headers (from goal kicks/long balls) is never going to work, and I think he's generally playing too far forward. If anything, I'd rather the two forwards played even narrower and have Tadic drop further back towards the midfield three - the gap seems far too big at times. Shout out to Redmond for his cameo in AM where he really started influencing proceedings.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Europa cup cut in the grass on the pitch.

I think you misunderstood. On commentary when I watched it back it was mentioned that there was a pattern on the pitch which we'd need to get rid of for the Europa League. I looked at it from various angles and assumed it was intended to hint at Virgin Media with the V/M type pattern, without being too close to actual advertising that would make it not allowed. Clearly the rules in the Europa League don't allow for such fanciness.

The Watford and Sunderland games were similar in that the team looked shambolic and disorganised in the first half, then they sorted it out amongst themselves to a certain extent in the second half. They might actually play better if they were left to manage themselves.

They were similar in that we had exactly the same problems from the personnel in that system and did exactly the same thing, and the manager made substitutions which got us back in the game (Hojbjerg 3 minutes before the goal against Watford, Rodriguez who scored yesterday) after going behind due to poor decision-making on the pitch (yesterday that was more by the ref than anyone though).

We had six times as many shots on target (and nearly 5 times as many shots overall) against Watford, and nearly 4 times as many shots on target as Sunderland and 3 times more shots overall. All that happened in amongst the fury about the awful refereeing and the frustration was that Sunderland and Watford both took their chance(s) better than us. The second half of last season we were disproportionately good at scoring from chances created, we're just reverting to our average.

The Watford and Sunderland games were similar in that the team looked shambolic and disorganised in the first half, then they sorted it out amongst themselves to a certain extent in the second half. They might actually play better if they were left to manage themselves.

That's exactly what happened. And yes, we have a manager who can't communicate with the players. And, after four weeks of trying I'm not sure he's going to be able to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk