'Eventually it catches up with you' - The season the pundits are right?

Saint Benali

We haven't 'sold off the team'. Forster, Cedric, Fonte, VVD, Bertrand, were our best back 5 last season, and currently all are still here, ( on today's showing I can't see ManUre having continued interest in Jose ), together with almost all of the midfield, and Long, Austin, and J-Rod. What we have lost is defensive cover in the form of Wanyama, ( but I'm not sure if it is possible to find a direct replacement for him ), and the attacking threat of the unpredictable Mane, with the goals of Pelle. However, the window is still open.

The biggest issues seem to be the changes of manager and formation.

Too simplistic.

A) they say it every year and eventually we won't improve

B) our formation is more of a problem than the sales right now

Agree. Our main problem right now is we have a manager who is trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Three games. It has been three games. The transfer window is not closed yet. Some of this is rather premature. While blaming Les Reed is a nonsense. 7 seasons of year on year improvement, one constant, LR. Even IF he has made a few decisions that turn out poorly for us this season I think a little perspective is needed on all the things he has got right for us.

Not saying everyone is wonderful and rosy because it isn't but surely it is too soon to be able to predict how our season will pan out? Maybe the diamond, Puel and new additions click and we have a decent season or maybe this year we struggle. We've had the good times for so many years on the bounce, we are certainly not entitled to constant success.

Just look at the players faces ...they look as p1ssed off as the fans do.

We are stuck with this formation and not one player looks comfortable in it.

I get the possession bit but we just can't play this way .

Davis played central and left Targett unprotected a good manager would have exploited that lucky Sunderland are terrible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we are going to have to be patient, new manager, new players, still 2 (hopefully) to come in, trying new formation.

It's probably going to be a transition season for us, but remember last season we were pretty crap from October to January and then suddenly found title winning form.

Patience I think is needed. Things could suddenly click, but it might take time.

We've been very lucky the last two years that we've lost 3/4/5 players and the team has gelled very quickly, not going to always happen. Plus once the window is closed Fonte can get his head back in the game, he's clearly not been at the races the last two games and was very poor for the Imbra header and poor for the penalty today.

It's a long long season. Too early to right anyone off at the moment.

Sunderland players knew where they had to be, Moyes changed it at 10 minutes and the game settled to stalemate , when the centre forward is back in midfield just in front of his own full back it shows the system isn't understood by the players, they don't instinctively make the right moves, find the space or make the pass.

How can the club sell us the story that all thru the club will play the same way to give continuity then bring in a manager ( who we should not of needed!) and allow him to change the system?

We have the players , what we don't have is a manager who understands the players we have , who last year played here and finished in a European position yet this year don't seem to have ever played together before

It was always going to catch up with the us yet plenty of divs on here keep banging on about some amazing model we've come across for sustainable success but the reality is that it's based on two seasons where we had momentum behind us and a good manager.

It was always going to catch up with the us yet plenty of divs on here keep banging on about some amazing model we've come across for sustainable success but the reality is that it's based on two seasons where we had momentum behind us and a good manager.

What exactly has caught up with us?

C) I'm no fan of the diamond but the players aren't performing either. No movement & too many misplaced passes.

Yes if your manager wants you to play a possession based game keeping possession kind of requires you to pass the ball well and having people showing for the ball. Far to much punting the ball long in the 1st half today (Redmond is not a CF) when we got it down and played it in the last 20-25 minutes it showed what the players can do in the diamond formation.

Perhaps the six place finish had less to do with the Southampton way and more to do with the manager we forced to leave whose new team currently are second in the table?

That's all rubbish ..................our last 8-9 games we played last season fell into laps and whereabouts the relative team situation fixture landed on we were as i said then very lucky to have been on a good run of form, nothing to do with what manager we had, istill would like RK to be here but were not big enough to sustain peoples ambitions for long enough,do an ok sort of job for say 2 seasons and move on its the Southampton way very frustrating.

Perhaps the six place finish had less to do with the Southampton way and more to do with the manager we forced to leave whose new team currently are second in the table?

And the myths begin.

We didn't force anyone to leave, unless saying "here's a nice new contract and pay rise" is what passes as forcing someone to leave these days.

It had more to do with some of the traditional big sides being very poor (by their standards) last season than anything else. Our very good run in the second half of the season covered up how **** we were for a large part of last season.

Agree. Our main problem right now is we have a manager who is trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place.

Agree 100%. A system that worked in France (which is the only place our manager has so far worked in) does not work here - many reasons, mainly the pace of the game - too fast in PL for the technical subtlety allowed in the French league. A good/great manager (or anyone really) will realise that and adapt, so let's see how this play's out.

My concern is that is Les, Blackbox et al did not spot this - maybe our magic beans are running out?

I can also see that the ''we got lucky'' for 2 years in a row myth being trotted out again.

There's a whole load of posters who were made to look like knobs for the last few seasons who are clearly desperate for it to go tits up just so they can finally say they are right. The truth is every season we improve it gets harder to improve the following season if we establish ourselves as a regular top ten side (while occasionally doing better or putting a decent cup run together) we will be doing pretty well as a club

Agree 100%. A system that worked in France (which is the only place our manager has so far worked in) does not work here - many reasons, mainly the pace of the game - too fast in PL for the technical subtlety allowed in the French league. A good/great manager (or anyone really) will realise that and adapt, so let's see how this play's out.

My concern is that is Les, Blackbox et al did not spot this - maybe our magic beans are running out?

Strange then that if technical football subtlety can't compete with PL pace how often PL teams don't do well in Europe you'd think our PL pace and power would over come technical football.....

Newcastle were first to do this, buy cheap sell high and they also had a few seasons of success (5th in 2012)

But they pushed there luck and similar to us thought damn this is easy.....

Last season they had a negative net transfer spend of £90 million as they desperately tried to salvage things.... We all know how that finished!!

Just like a shop lifter you will get away with it two maybe three times, but then you'll be caught and made to look an idiot

Quit while you're ahead SFC

Newcastle were first to do this, buy cheap sell high and they also had a few seasons of success (5th in 2012)

Last season they had a negative net transfer spend of £90 million as they desperately tried to salvage things.... We all know how that finished!!

Just like a shop lifter you will get away with it two maybe three times, but then you'll be caught and made to look an idiot

you cannot force a player to stay. we offered all of mane, wanyama and clyne new contracts ffs.

now, unless we have an owner willing to give these players £130k contracts, then we will always be a PL team who make up the numbers and occasionally challenge a top 10 side.

enjoy it while it lasts.

Textbook

When I first starting posting here just over two years ago, the only thing that really bothered me was when people seemed to overreact to a stupid post with insulting responses that seemed way out of proportion to the level of stupidity demonstrated. I failed to recognize how annoyances can build up over time to justify and explain these reactions. Thank you for clarifying this for me. Also, I apologize to various otherwise intelligent posters who I erroneously thought less of over the past couple of years.

That being said, your post makes no sense on any level. Please excuse me for not being inclined to analyze it in detail. In the future, I plan to treat your posts as some type of psychotic performance art and enjoy them on that basis.

you cannot force a player to stay. we offered all of mane, wanyama and clyne new contracts ffs.

now, unless we have an owner willing to give these players £130k contracts, then we will always be a PL team who make up the numbers and occasionally challenge a top 10 side.

enjoy it while it lasts.

With the Financial Fair Play rules including the salary cap, a rich owner willing to spend is not enough either.

When I first starting posting here just over two years ago, the only thing that really bothered me was when people seemed to overreact to a stupid post with insulting responses that seemed way out of proportion to the level of stupidity demonstrated. I failed to recognize how annoyances can build up over time to justify and explain these reactions. Thank you for clarifying this for me. Also, I apologize to various otherwise intelligent posters who I erroneously thought less of over the past couple of years.

That being said, your post makes no sense on any level. Please excuse me for not being inclined to analyze it in detail. In the future, I plan to treat your posts as some type of psychotic performance art and enjoy them on that basis.

He's positive, he just wants Saints to do well. He is in no way needy neurotic or unstable. Hardcore Saints fan.

We are only 3 games in to the season, we will improve & we will slump over the season as per every year. The manager & team need time,all these things are minor,what isn't minor is our lack of goals, we need a striker who will give us 20 goals a season, not someone who is good in another countries league but someone who has done the business in the premier league. It is time for Les to spend big & get Bony in.

On paper, we still have a very good squad that is capable of a top 10 finish, even with the player sales (and assuming the Boufal transfer goes through). Issue at the moment is the system and that the players visibly aren't/haven't yet taken to it. VVD's post-match interview was very telling in that regard. Good players should be able to adapt, but I'm intrigued to see how long Puel insists on playing a diamond if results don't pick up - and fast. It's still early days, but right now I'm not sure if I've seen enough positives to make me think that it will come together in the near future. Prove me wrong, Saints!

We are only 3 games in to the season, we will improve & we will slump over the season as per every year. The manager & team need time,all these things are minor,what isn't minor is our lack of goals, we need a striker who will give us 20 goals a season, not someone who is good in another countries league but someone who has done the business in the premier league. It is time for Les to spend big & get Bony in.

We haven't had a 20 goal a season striker since the championship they're not exactly easy to find.

But 5 points down on the same three fixtures last season...

And no doubt there will have been 3 or more results last season that were not as good as the same fixtures the season before that, and so on. And there will be results this season that are better than the same fixtures last season, and so on.

Plus ça change

Edited by trousers

Eventually, you move on to the next stage and get so used to skipping past the posts that you don't even notice they are there.

Players havent adjusted to the Puel philosophy. Give it 10 games at least... Transfer window still open besides it's not like Koeman had us playing decent initially. New system obviously requires newplayers aswell see the transfer window still open comment..... bunch of wet fannies on here anyone would think we have been relegated. chaps locate your balls....