Points Record

Minsk

Well, it's that time of the year, a very busy schedule for both myself and Saints. So here is another double update:

Match Day 16 - home to Arsenal - drew 1-1

Last season we also drew Match Day 16; except then it was 0-0 away to Stoke. No change in points means we remain at a.....

5 point deficit

Match by Match Comparison

Last season we lost at home to Arsenal, by two goals to nil. A point clawed back(!) means we move up to just a.....

6 point deficit (got there in the end Tony F ;) )

Match Day 17 - home to Leicester - lost 1-4

Absolutely the worst Saints performance I have witnessed for many a year, and that is saying something given the dross we have been served thus far this season! Anyway..........

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 17, 3-1 away to Bournemouth. A further three points dropped gives us an......

8 point deficit

Last season we beat Leicester at St. Mary's 3-0. These three dropped points means we now have a......

9 point deficit

For all those still saying Pellegrino should stay and those who refuse to believe we are in any danger of relegation (especially, in both cases, those who wanted Puel sacked for ONLY achieving 46 points last season): If, from now on, we match last season's results we will finish on 37/38 points; if we continue to slip away at the same pace we have so far we will end the season on around 28/30 points! Whilst I don't think the latter will happen, there is a distinct possibility of the former, unless something drastically turns around - and quickly!

Next up is a (relatively) short trip to the champions at Stamford Bridge, for Match Day 18. Last season we lost Match Day 18, by that 4-1 scoreline, at home to Spurs (of course, who were also led by an ex-manager); whilst our away trip to Chelsea was marginally better, a 4-2 defeat.

On the bright side, our points deficit can't get any worse after this match; and, if a minor miracle happens, could get better.

COYS

Well, it's that time of the year, a very busy schedule for both myself and Saints. So here is another double update:

Match Day 16 - home to Arsenal - drew 1-1

Last season we also drew Match Day 16; except then it was 0-0 away to Stoke. No change in points means we remain at a.....

5 point deficit

Last season we lost at home to Arsenal, by two goals to nil. A point clawed back(!) means we move up to just a.....

6 point deficit (got there in the end Tony F ;) )

Match Day 17 - home to Leicester - lost 1-4

Absolutely the worst Saints performance I have witnessed for many a year, and that is saying something given the dross we have been served thus far this season! Anyway..........

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 17, 3-1 away to Bournemouth. A further three points dropped gives us an......

8 point deficit

Last season we beat Leicester at St. Mary's 3-0. These three dropped points means we now have a......

9 point deficit

For all those still saying Pellegrino should stay and those who refuse to believe we are in any danger of relegation (especially, in both cases, those who wanted Puel sacked for ONLY achieving 46 points last season): If, from now on, we match last season's results we will finish on 37/38 points; if we continue to slip away at the same pace we have so far we will end the season on around 28/30 points! Whilst I don't think the latter will happen, there is a distinct possibility of the former, unless something drastically turns around - and quickly!

Next up is a (relatively) short trip to the champions at Stamford Bridge, for Match Day 18. Last season we lost Match Day 18, by that 4-1 scoreline, at home to Spurs (of course, who were also led by an ex-manager); whilst our away trip to Chelsea was marginally better, a 4-2 defeat.

On the bright side, our points deficit can't get any worse after this match; and, if a minor miracle happens, could get better.

COYS

Sobering thoughts. Could be as close to 17th as we have been for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooopps, too much working, travelling and partying has made me somewhat remiss with updating this thread - to the tune of 4 matches; and that will become 5 after this evening. So, here goes:

Match Day 18 - away to Chelsea - lost 1-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 18 - 4-1 - at home to Spurs. No change in overall points means we remained at an.....

8 point deficit

Last season we lost 4-2 away at Chelsea. So, whilst this result was an improvement the points difference remains the same at a......

9 point deficit

Match Day 19 - Home to Huddersfield - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 19 (1-2) at home to WBA. A point gained here moved us up to a mere.....

7 point deficit

As the team that come up via the play-off, I am comparing Huddersfield results with those of the team who came bottom last season - Sunderland. Last season we drew 1-1 at home to Sunderland in the league. No change means we still remained at a....

9 point deficit

Match Day 20 - away to Tottenham - lost 5-2

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also lost Match Day 20, on that occasion 3-0 away to Everton. No change kept us at a....

7 point deficit

Last season we were beaten by Spurs at WHL by 2-1. So again no change in points.....

9 point deficit

Match Day 21 - away to Man Utd - drew 0-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 21 - 1-0 - away to Burnley. One point gained puts us at a......

6 point deficit

Last season we lost away to Man Utd, 2-0. A point gained here moves us to an.....

8 point deficit

So, after having not updated this for 4 matches, matches which we drew 2 and lost 2, amazingly we have improved both our respective points deficits - 2 better (at -6) for the Match Day Comparison and 1 better (at -8) for the Match by Match Comparison. Of course this means we are currently on track to end the season on 40/38 points respectively (if no change in how the other matches went comes to pass). We desperately need a win, and soon!!

Next up, this evening, is Match Day 22 at home to Crystal Palace. Last season we won Match Day 22, 3-0, at home to Leicester; we also won our home match against Palace, 3-1. That was on 5th April, and those were the last goals we scored at home last season (but shouldn't have been given the chances created and penalties missed). Needless to say, we need to match last season's wins tonight if we want to have any chance of even coming close to attaining last season's points total - of 46.

COYS

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 22 - Home to Crystal Palace - lost 1-2

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 22 (3-0) at home to then champions Leicester. Three dropped points moves us to a....

9 point deficit

Last season we beat Crystal Palace at St. Mary's (3-1). Three dropped points here puts us, for the first time this season, in double digit deficit territory with an...

11 point deficit

That's an ELEVEN point deficit compared to last season's total of 46! Doesn't look good does it?

Anyway, next up on Match Day 23 is a trip up to Watford. Last season we lost Match Day 23 (2-1) away to Swansea; whilst our match away at Watford ended in a thrilling 4-3 victory (thanks to strikes from Dusan Tadic, Manolo Gabbiadini and a brace from Nathan Redmond). Please, please, please give us a win today Saints.

COYS

Well spotted. You are quite correct. Match by Match we are 7 points worse off than last season.

Obviously, this means that if all results from now on equal those of last season we will finish on 39 points! :scared:

2015/16 63 pts

2016/17 46 pts

2017/18 39 pts ??only if we can improve and perform as well as we did last season.

With a decline as sharp as this one, you'd expect us to follow Sunderland's path downwards next season unless there are major changes in the way the club is being run. In any other business, the people responsible would have been fired by now.

Okay, it's match day again and, once more, I haven't updated this for the previous fixture. So, let's have a look at how bad things are now - not that this thread is required for that, given we are now in the relegation zone.............

Match Day 23 - away to Watford - drew 2-2

I am actually still seething that we were denied a win by a last minute punched goal by the cheating c**t Doucoure, and that he has gone completely unpunished for doing so (I know the reason he has gone punished is because there is nothing in the rules for retrospective punishment for handling the ball into the net, but still........)

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 23 (2-1) away to Swansea. One point gained puts us at an......

8 point deficit

Last season we won 4-3 away to Watford (which have been 4-2 had it not been for another last minute goal by Doucoure) so 3 points dropped. This puts us an awful.....

14 point deficit

Next up, as we are all well aware, is Match Day 24 at home to the north London yobbos. Last season we lost Match Day 24 (1-3) at home to West Ham; whilst Tottenham went one better than The Irons, beating us 4-1 at St Mary's. On the one hand, that doesn't help install any confidence for today's match, on the other hand, at least our points deficit can't be any worse afterwards; and, there is always the outside chance that it could be better...........

Come On You Saints

• 2 weeks later...

Just realized that I hadn't updated this since the Spurs match, 10 long days ago. At least updating it now will take my mind away from the usual transfer window farce for a few minutes......

Match Day 24 - home to Spurs - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 24, by a 3-1 scoreline, at home to West Ham. Another point pulled back puts us at a......

7 point deficit

Last season we Spurs beat us 4-1 at St. Mary's. So a point clawed back here too gives us a......

13 point deficit

Next up, in just over an hour, is a crucial home match against Brighton on Match Day 25. For purposes of the Match by Match Comparison I have substituted them with our results against Middlesboro last season. Last season we won Match Day 25, 4-0, away to Sunderland; whilst our home match against 'boro saw us win by a single goal to nil.

We certainly need a win tonight, whether that is 1-0, 4-0, or anything in between, just give us the 3 points. PLEASE!!!!!

COYS

Appreciate the work you put into keeping this up to date, but given how poor we were last year, it's utterly unfathomable how we are so much worse this time round. Not even a little bit worse, a whole new level of ****.

What a disaster. There's not going to be a case of us ever being 'safe' until the final game of the season, we're in a battle for the duration now without doubts.

Appreciate the work you put into keeping this up to date, but given how poor we were last year, it's utterly unfathomable how we are so much worse this time round. Not even a little bit worse, a whole new level of ****.

What a disaster. There's not going to be a case of us ever being 'safe' until the final game of the season, we're in a battle for the duration now without doubts.

Fully agree.

Last season I was comparing our points to the highest we had ever attained in the premier league. This season I am comparing them to 46! Yet this season is reading very much like the last one in terms of points deficit. At least I won't have to do this next year if, as seems likely, we will be playing in the Championship.

Anyway, as I'm here, time to get depressed again........

Match Day 25 - Home to Brighton - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 25, by an amazing four goals to nil (yes, there was once a time when we could score four goals in a single match) away to Sunderland. Two dropped points gives us a.....

9 point deficit

Last season we beat the team Brighton replaced in the Prem (Middlesboro) 1-0. Two points dropped here moves us down to a....

15 point deficit

As things stand, given these deficits, it seems we are on target to end the season with a points total somewhere between 31 and 37. Yet this is not enough cause for concern for our board to replace the inept manager; nor, indeed, to sign the pacy, goal-scoring, forward/winger we desperately needed to bring in.

Any how, I digress......

Next up, tomorrow, is Match Day 26 and a trip to the Hawthorns to play bottom of the table West Brom. Last season Match Day 26 was the 4-3 win away to Watford. Our visit to the Hawthorns last season also resulted in an away win for us, 1-0. I know I said it before the last match but this time it is even more important, we desperately need to win this one. Personally, I think it will be another 1-1. A loss by two or more goals could see us bottom of the table (especially given Swansea's last two results).

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 26 - away to WBA - won 2-3

Finally, a win! Our 5th of the season and so badly needed.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also won Match Day 26 away from home. On that occasion it was a 3-4 scoreline at Watford. Our points stay at a....

9 point deficit

It seems we like to play at the Hawthorns, as we also won there last season but that time by a single goal to nil. Again, no change to points deficit which remains at a...........

15 point deficit

It would be great to now go on a winning run, especially as next up on Match Day 27 is the return of about about half-a-dozen ex-Saints with Liverpool. Last season we lost Match Day 27 (2-1) away to Tottenham; whilst our home league match against Liverpool last season resulted in a 0-0 draw.

To be honest, right now, I would be over the moon if we got a 0-0 draw tomorrow. But, whatever happens, I just want us to remain out of the bottom three going into Match Day 28 (and, even more importantly, at least 4 points off of the bottom three going into Match Day 38!)

COYS!

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry guys, another double update:

Match Day 27 - home to Liverpool - lost 0-2

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 27 (2-1) away to Spurs. No change in points keeps us at a.....

9 point deficit

Last season we drew at home to Liverpool, 0-0. One more point dropped outs us at a.....

16 point deficit

Match Day 28 - away to Burnley - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew Match Day 28 (0-0) at home to Bournemouth. No change again means we remain at a......

9 point deficit

Last season we lost (1-0) away to Burnley. Two points gained moves us up to a.....

14 point deficit

Next up, today, is Match Day 29 at home to Stoke. Last season we won Match Day 29 (3-1) at home to Crystal Palace; whilst our home match against Stoke was a last day of season defeat, by a goal to nil. Needless to say, with Stoke being one of the few teams below us, we desperately need a repeat of last season's Match Day result and to avoid, at all costs, the Match by Match one!

COYS

We can't have gained two points

Quite right too - I'm glad someone is paying attention. ;) Thanks, again, Fred. :)

Match by Match Comparison should read:

15 point deficit

Note to self, double check things when posting after too little sleep and too much alcohol the night before. :)

Anyway, while I'm here..........

Match Day 29 - home to Stoke - drew 0-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 29 (3-1 - oh those days when we could score, and more than one goal in a match) at home to Palace. Two points dropped gives us a double digit....

11 point deficit

An improvement on last season, in so far as we didn't concede - having lost at home to Stoke 1-0 on the last day of the season. One point gained puts us where I said we were (wrongly, or was it a premonition ;) ) at the last update, which is a......

14 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 30, is the long trip up to Newcastle. Last season we won Match Day 30 away from home, against West Brom (can we play them every week please?) by a goal to nil; this season the Newcastle result is being compared vice Hull and last season we lost 2-1 away to them.

Squeeky bum time is certainly here. Come on Saints, please win this one. We desperately need the points!

COYS