Points Record

Minsk

Match Day 19 - home to WBA - lost 1-2

For the second game in a row we managed to lose, at home, after having been in front; and, for the second game in a row, we had a player sent off - this time VvD, late on.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also lost match day 19 2-1, only that time it was away to West Ham. Therefore, we remain on the same number of points as at this stage last season.

0 point deficit/better off

Match by Match Comparison

Last season we beat 'The Baggies' 3-0 at home. Therefore, with this type of comparison, we now have a.....

5 point deficit

Next up, tomorrow, is an away trip to Everton. Last season we drew 1-1 with them up there; whilst Match Day 20 saw us lose (1-0) away to Norwich.

Match Day 20 - away to Everton - lost 0-3

Given our previous two results, I don't think anyone was particularly surprised by this result. What was disappointing was the complete capitulation after the first goal was conceded, considering we had more than held our own until that point.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost match day 20 (1-0) away to Norwich. Therefore, despite losing three on the bounce, we remain with the same points as at this stage last season.....

0 point deficit/better-off

Last season we managed to come away from the blue half of Merseyside with a point. Therefore, we now have a.....

6 point deficit

Between now and Match Day 21 (away to Burnley) we have an F.A. Cup match away to Norwich (who beat us 1-0 up there last season) followed by the LC semi-final first leg at home to Liverpool (and who can forget how they humped us at home in the LC quarter final last season). Hoping for some sweet revenge in both of those encounters. As for Match Day 21 - last season we lost it (1-2) at home to Palace. I am substituting Burnley for Newcastle here, and last season saw us grab a point in a 2-2 draw away to the Magpies.

Palace was in the FA cup.

Just making sure you were paying attention. ;)

Sorry, yes, my mistake.

Last season we won Match Day 21 - 2-0 - at home to Watford. Indeed, it was were we started to turn things around, winning three in a row and 5 out of 6. I wonder if we can replicate this season........

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 21 - away to Burnley - lost 1-0

Following a 2-2 draw in the FA Cup at Norwich and a great 1-0 first leg win in the League Cup, Saints managed to fall to a 4th league defeat in a row.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 21 (2-0) at home to Watford. Therefore, we now have a......

3 point deficit

For this comparison Burnley are replacing Newcastle. Last season we drew 2-2 away at the Magpies. Therefore, we now have a.....

7 point deficit

Next up is the FA Cup replay, at home to Norwich, before Match Day 22 at home to champions Leicester. Last season we drew (2-2) at home to the Foxes, whilst Match Day 22 saw us beat West Brom (3-0) at St. Mary's.

Match Day 22 - home to Leicester - won 3-0

After getting through the FA Cup replay with a last gasp winner, we really upped the tempo with an emphatic win against the champions. A bit of a worry about VvD's injury, but great to see such good performances from JWP, Cedric and Maya.

Match Day Comparison

Last season also saw us win match day 22 by 3 goals to nil (can we have match day 22 every week please?) but against West Brom. Therefore, this victory keeps us with a......

3 point deficit

Last season we threw away a 2 goal lead at St. Mary's against the Foxes and dropped two pints. Holding out for all three points this time around gives us a........

5 point deficit

Next up is a little matter of the LC Semi-final 2nd leg at Anfield, before an FA Cup home tie against Arsenal. Our next league match - match day 23 - is away at Swansea. Last season we beat the Swans at their place 1-0; whilst match day 23 also saw us win 1-0, away to Man Utd.

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 23 - away to Swansea - lost 2-1

After the wondrous feeling when Shane buried the winner at Anfield to send us to Wembley and the abject dejection of seeing our 2nd/3rd team humped 5-0 by Arsenal in the FA Cup (to save/protect our first team players for the league) Saints fell to to a 2-1 defeat in Wales.

Match Day Comparison

Last we won match day 23 (1-0) at Old Trafford. This defeat means we now have a........

6 point deficit

Last season saw us leave the Liberty Stadium with all 3 points following a 1-0 win. Therefore, this defeat now gives us an....

8 point deficit

My gut feeling (especially given VvD's injury) is that we are going to finish the season with a deficit in double figures for both means of comparison. I hope I'm wrong, but time will tell. In the meantime, next up, tomorrow, is Match Day 24 and a visit by West Ham (with our now ex-captain). Last season we beat The Hammers 1-0 at St. Mary's; whilst match day 24 saw us earn a point with a 0-0 draw away to Arsenal.

I think we only need 3 more wins to stay up. But, does anyone know how many League Cup finalists have been relegated the same season? I remember Middlesbrough lost 2 cup finals in 1997 and were then relegated. In 1985 both of the finalists, Sunderland and Norwich, were relegated. I think Birmingham in 2011 were the last team it happened to.

A win tomorrow would certainly take a bit of the pressure off the team and allow them to focus more on the final.

I think we only need 3 more wins to stay up. But, does anyone know how many League Cup finalists have been relegated the same season? I remember Middlesbrough lost 2 cup finals in 1997 and were then relegated. In 1985 both of the finalists, Sunderland and Norwich, were relegated. I think Birmingham in 2011 were the last team it happened to.

A win tomorrow would certainly take a bit of the pressure off the team and allow them to focus more on the final.

It certainly would. Last home game before the final and all that.

Match Day 24 - home to West Ham - lost 3-1

Whilst I am inclined to agree with Batman's post above, I sincerely hope he is wrong. However, this match did nothing to allay those fears. Despite taking the lead with a very good debut goal from Gabbiadini, we again managed to throw a lead away by conceding three avoidable goals.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew match day 24 (0-0) away to Arsenal. Therefore, this defeat now gives us an......

8 point deficit

Last season we beat The Irons (1-0) at St Mary's. This means we now have an.......

11 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 25, is a trip away to Sunderland. Last season Match Day 25 was the aforementioned 1-0 home win over West Ham; the exact same scoreline as we achieved when winning away at Sunderland. How we could do with a 1-0 victory this time around.......

As an aside, we have now lost 3 on the bounce (in all competitions) since sealing our Wembley trip with the win away at Liverpool. The last time we lost 3 on the bounce this season it was followed by a draw and a win. I would most certainly take that for our next two matches: draw away to Sunderland; win at Wembley!

• 4 weeks later...

Match Day 25 - away to Sunderland - won 4-0

It's been ages since I updated this thread, mainly because of another important match and the travelling involved. Anyway, here we go......

At the end of my previous post I said how we could do with a 1-0 win; well, we managed 4 times better. Finally, the thumping many thought we would give someone happened. Unfortunately, that was followed with the frustration of the EFL Final, but enough has been said that elsewhere....

Match Day Comparison

Last season we beat West Ham at home on match day 25. Therefore, this victory leaves us with an......

8 point deficit

Last season we won 1-0 up at the Stadium of Light. Despite a far more impressive scoreline this time around, we remain with an.....

11 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 26, we travel away to Watford. Last season we drew 0-0 there; whilst Match Day 26 saw us win 1-0 away to Swansea.

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 26 - away to Watford - won 4-3

2 wins and 4 goals scored in successive away matches - get in there!

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 26 (1-0) away to Swansea. Therefore, this away win keeps us with an.....

8 point deficit

Last season we also won away at Watford by a solitary goal, 1-0. So, once more, our points difference remain unchanged at an......

11 point deficit

Next up is another away match, this time at Spurs. Oh, what I would give for us to score another four goals this coming Sunday (provided we concede fewer...) Last season we won 2-1 away to Spurs (which, I think, was the last time they lost at home in the league); whilst Match Day 27 saw us lose 2-1 at home to Chelsea.

Last season we also won away at Watford by a solitary goal, 1-0. So, once more, our points difference remain unchanged at an......

Love this thread but pretty sure we drew 0-0 away at Watford last year.

Love this thread but pretty sure we drew 0-0 away at Watford last year.

You are absolutely right - just checking that people are reading this thread - ;)

Thanks for putting me right :) Seeing as I can't edit posts I'll try again here:

2 wins and 4 goals scored in successive away matches - get in there!

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 26 (1-0) away to Swansea. Therefore, this away win keeps us with an.....

8 point deficit

Last season we drew away at Watford 0-0. Therefore, we have pulled 2 points back, giving us a......

9 point deficit

Next up is another away match, this time at Spurs. Oh, what I would give for us to score another four goals this coming Sunday (provided we concede fewer...) Last season we won 2-1 away to Spurs (which, I think, was the last time they lost at home in the league); whilst Match Day 27 saw us lose 2-1 at home to Chelsea.

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 27 - away to Tottenham - lost 2-1

Unfortunately, our run of scoring 4 goals away from home came to an end......

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also lost Match Day 27, only that time it was home to Chelsea. Therefore, this defeat means we remain at an....

8 point deficit

Last season the scores were reversed in this fixture, giving us a beautiful 2-1 win over the North London Yobbos. Therefore, this defeat means we now slip to a......

12 point deficit

Next up is a home match against our south coast neighbours, Bournemouth. Last season we beat them, 2-0, at St Mary's; whilst Match Day 28 saw us defeated by that scoreline (2-0) away to.......... Bournemouth. Time to do the double over them...........

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 28 - home to Bournemouth - drew 0-0

Highlight of the match for me was the shocking penalty decision followed by Arter's even more shocking miss from the spot....

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost match day 28 (2-0) away at Bournemouth. Therefore, we now have a....

7 point deficit

Conversely, last season we beat Bournemouth by that scoreline (2-0) at St. Mary's. Therefore, the 2 dropped points now gives us a.........

14 point deficit

Next up, tomorrow evening, is Palace at home on Match Day 29. Last season we hammered Palace 4-1 at home, on the last day of the season; whilst Match Day 29 saw us draw 1-1 at home to Sunderland.

Match Day 29 - home to Crystal Palace - won 3-1

Wow! After a couple of long (2 week) breaks, it feels as if the matches are coming fast and furious again.... :)

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew match day 29 (1-1) at home to Sunderland. So the two points we have clawed back now gives us only a.....

5 point deficit

Not as convincing a win as last season, where we beat Palace 4-1 at St. Mary's. ;) If only Shane had buried at least one of his many golden chances. ;) (Yes, that was all written very 'tongue in cheek'.) Points remain the same with a.....

14 point deficit

Next up, on Saturday (tomorrow), is an away trip to West Brom for Match Day 30. Last season we brought back a point from the Baggies, following a 0-0 draw; whilst Match Day 30 saw us take all 3 points with a (2-1) win away to Stoke. A repeat of either would be fantastic, especially given the players who will definitely/possibly be missing: VvD, Austin, Romeu, McCarthy, Davis, Gabbiadini, Bertrand, Boufal.

Match Day 30 - away to West Brom - won 1-0

I have to say, at times, that was one of the best performances we have put in this season. Forster and Yoshida were the stand-out players, and a classy goal from Classie.

Match Day Comparison

Last season also saw us win away from home, 2-1 at Stoke. Therefore, we remain with a......

5 point deficit

Classie's goal was one more than scored in the same fixture last season, giving us 2 extra points. Therefore, we now have a.....

12 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 31, is a visit to St Mary's for Pep and Citeh. Last season we beat the blue half of Manchester 4-2 at home; whilst on Match Day 31 we defeated another of the 'big boys' Liverpool by a 3-2 scoreline at St. Mary's - who could forget that match?

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 31 - home to Man City - lost 0-3

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 31 (3-2) at home against Liverpool. So 3 points dropped, giving us an....

8 point deficit

Last season we beat Citeh at St Mary's, meaning 3 points dropped here as well......

15 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 32, is top of the table Chelsea away. Last season we had an amazing 3-1 win at their place; whilst Match Day 32 saw us lose (1-0) away at the champions to be, Leicester. I feel a repeat of Match Day 32 is more likely than our result at Stamford Bridge last season; but, as they say, anything can happen in this league.......

Had a crazy busy week so need to do a double update here........

Match Day 32 - away to Chelsea - lost 4-2

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 32 away at the Champions to be (Leicester) by a single goal to nil. I sincerely hope this defeat is also against the Champions elect. As for points, it remains at an......

8 point deficit

Last season we came away from Stamford Bridge with a fantastic 3-1 victory. Therefore, we have dropped three points giving us an......

18 point deficit

Match Day 33 - home to Hull - drew 0-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 33 (3-1) at home to relegation threatened Newcastle. Unfortunately, we were unable to repeat this feat against relegation threatened Hull - although we should have taken all three points at the death had Tadic's penalty not been saved. The two dropped points now gives a......

10 point deficit

For this purpose I am comparing our matches against Hull this season to those against Villa last season. Last season we drew (1-1) with Villa at St Mary's. Therefore, we remain with an.....

18 point deficit

Next up is a trip to Anfield for Match Day 34. Last season we came away from there with one point after a 1-1 draw; whilst Match Day 34 also saw us bring a point back from Merseyside, after a 1-1 draw at Everton. All things considered, I will be very happy for us to achieve that score again this time around!

• 2 weeks later...

Been away for a few days with only my phone for internet connection, so here is another double update:

Match Day 34 - away to Liverpool - drew 0-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season saw us draw match day 34 (1-1) away at Everton. Therefore, this point means we remain with a.....

10 point deficit

Last season we also drew (1-1) away to Liverpool. Therefore, we remain at an.....

18 point deficit

Match Day 35 - home to Arsenal - lost 0-2

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 35 (4-2) away to Aston Villa. Therefore, 3 dropped points puts us at a....

13 point deficit

Last season we had an emphatic win at home to Arsenal by 4-0, which began with the Cuco wonder goal. Another three dropped points puts us at a....

21 point deficit

Next up is Match Day 36, an away trip to already relegated Middlesboro. Hard to tell whether that will go in our favour or not. Generally, relegated teams usually go and win their next match or two (as Sunderland did at Hull); but there is also a thought that our goal drought could end with a bang (he says hopefully). Anyway, Middlesboro results are being compared to those of last season against Norwich - and last season we lost 1-0 at Carrow Road; whereas Match Day 36 saw us defeat Man City at St Mary's by a 4-2 scoreline. A 4-2 win on Saturday would be nice. Come to that, any win on Saturday would be nice......

The two totals will need to match after the final game so am I right in thinking the deficit will be 22 points (we won the last three last season) minus whatever we get between now and the end of the season? so about 15 to 18 points deficit I reckon.

Match Day 36 - Middlesboro away - won 2-1

Match Day Comparison

I need to hold my hands up here and admit that I made a mathematical error back at Match Day 24. Prior to this match we were 1 point better off than I had been saying, with a 12 point deficit, not 13.

Last season we won Match Day 36 by a 4-2 scoreline at home to Man City. Therefore, we remain with a....

12 point deficit

Last season we lost 1-0 away to Norwich (the team 'boro replaced in the prem this season). Therefore, we now have an....

18 point deficit.

Next up on Match Day 37 (this evening) is the rearranged home against Man Utd. Last season they beat us at St. Mary's 3-2; whilst we won Match Day 37 (2-1) away to Spurs.

And yes Saint-Fred, both deficits should be equal after Sunday's match. Just for a heads-up - we won our last match last season but we lost at home to Stoke.

Match Day 37 - Home to Man Utd - Drew 0-0

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 37 (2-1) away to Spurs. Two dropped points gives us a....

14 point deficit

Last season Utd beat us 3-2 at St. Mary's. One gained points gives us a.....

17 point deficit

Match Day 38 - home to Stoke - lost 0-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 38 by 4-1 at home to Crystal Palace. Three dropped points put us at a final......

17 point deficit

Last season Stoke beat us by the same 1-0 scoreline at St. Mary's. Therefore, the final points difference here is (obviously) also a....

17 point deficit

So, there we have it. This season we have finished 17 points worse off than our all time record attained last season. However, we have only finished 2 places lower than last season. We also reached a cup final and competed in Europe. Given (what I consider to have been) a poor summer in the transfer window (especially in regard to failing to bring in a competent goal scorer when having sold our top TWO scorers from the previous season) compacted by the (not so surprising) long term injury suffered by Charlie Austin, and followed by the CB farce that followed in the winter window (selling Fonte without a replacement already onboard and then VvD getting a season ending injury days after the window closed) I feel that this is a fairly decent return.

We were never going to match, let alone better, last season's point tally or league position - no matter who our manager had been. It would have been nice to have had more points on the board, and most definitely to have scored more goals (especially at home) but we finished 8th on merit. It would have been nice to have finished just one place higher, above Everton, and qualifying for Europe again but, as I said, 8th is a very credible finish considering all that happened.

• 2 months later...

I was unsure whether or not to bother doing a points comparison for this season. The reason I started it last season was because of the spit fan-base a few matches into the season. As can be seen from the post above, last season we ended up 17 points worse off than the previous one - which had been when we achieved our highest points total in the Premier League ever! Thus, it was always probable that we would fall short of that feat; however, the huge chasm between the two was what prompted most on here to call for Puel's head.

With that in mind, and the fact that I have had a couple of requests to repeat/continue this thread, I thought it might be interesting to follow the points progress through the season once more. I also thought that it would be easier for me, and for comparison, to add this season on to the thread from last season.

Of course, as always, there are three new teams replacing the relegated ones. Therefore, for the purpose of comparison, I will substitute those teams in this way: Newcastle vice Hull; Brighton vice Middlesbrough; Huddersfield vice Sunderland.

First up, of course, is tomorrow's season opener at home to Swansea. Last season we drew our opening match 1-1 at home to Watford; whilst our home match against The Swans came on Match Day 5 and gave us our first win of the season, 1-0.

Here's hoping that we get off to winning ways against Swansea once more, and achieve our first ever opening day home win in the Prem.

COYS

Match Day 1 - Home to Swansea - Drew 0-0

One of those disappointing matches where we dominated possession yet failed to convert chances into goals - just like at the end of last season. But, where does it put us in regard to points compared with last season?

Match Day Comparison

Last season we opened with a 1-1 draw at home to Watford. So this point puts us on......

Even points

Last season we beat Swansea at St Mary's 1-0. That victory was our first of the season and came in match day 5. I hope we don't have to wait so long for our first win this time around! Anyway, Saturday's draw means we begin this method of comparison with a.......

2 point deficit

Next up, this Saturday, on Match Day 2 is another home match (although rearranged due the opposition's stadium usage) against West Ham. Last season we lost Match Day (2-0) away to Man Utd; whilst our home match against The Iron saw us defeated by three goals to one. Reversing that scoreline will see a positive points score for both comparison methods.

COYS

Match Day 2 - Home to West Ham - Won 3-2

Yay! Goals at St. Mary's - and a win to boot; although it was made harder than it should have been........

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 2 (2-0) away to Man Utd. Therefore, compared to this stage last season, this win means we are......

3 points better off

Last season we lost at home to West Ham (3-1). So this win means we are now......

1 point better off

Next up, after a league cup match at home to Wolves, is our first ever premier league match away to Huddersfield. I am sure we all remember playing them in League 1 six years ago. Back then they beat us 2-0 up there. Overall, including cup matches, both home and away, we have played the Terriers 24 times. This has resulted in 11 wins, 2 draws and 11 losses - all honours even. However, for the sake of this points comparison, seeing as they were the team promoted via the play-offs, I will be comparing the results we attained last season with the team who finished bottom in the prem - Sunderland.

Funnily enough, last season Match Day 3 was at home to Sunderland. A match which we drew 1-1; whilst our away trip to Sunderland came in Match Day 25 and saw us run out as emphatic victors, winning by 4-0. I don't think we see that result this coming Saturday, but I desperately want us to win (or, at least, not lose). Of course, I want that every week. But, whilst I have nothing against Huddersfield and was even very pleased to see them promoted, I do have a very good friend who is a huge Huddersfield fan...... Beers are at stake here!!

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 3 - Away to Huddersfield - Drew 0-0

Well, following a very disappointing home loss to Wolves in the EFL Cup we at least remain unbeaten (thus far) in the league; but appear to once more have problems scoring goals........

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also drew match day 3. On that occasion it was at home and against the team who would go on to finish bottom of the league - Sunderland - by a 1-1 scoreline. Therefore, this draw means we remain......

3 points better off

As previously mentioned, for this comparison method, Huddersfield (being the team promoted via the play-offs) replace Sunderland (the team who finished 20th). Last season we won, 4-0, away to Sunderland. Therefore this is 2 points dropped, and gives us a......

1 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 4, is a home match against Watford; a team who signed 11 new players this summer and who were our opponents at St. Mary's on the opening day of last season. That day saw us draw 1-1, thanks to an equaliser from Nathan Redmond; whereas, Match Day 4 saw us lose 2-1 away to Arsenal.

Hopefully, all of our players (who were called up) return fit, healthy and fresh from their international duties and we not only rediscover how to score once more, but do so whilst notching up an emphatic win. Thankfully I don't have a mortgage, so can't risk losing it on such a bet.... ;)

COYS

• 2 weeks later...

Match Day 4 - Home to Watford - Lost 0-2

I have been putting off writing this all week, because the performance last Saturday was, quite simply, one of the worst I can remember for a very long time. Almost a week on and it is still painful to think about, but what did the loss do to our points comparison with last season?

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also lost Match Day 4, although that time it was a 'not so hard to take' 2-1 loss away to Arsenal. Therefore, we actually remain....

3 points better off

Last season, on the opening day, we drew 1-1 at home to Watford. So, one point dropped puts us at a........

2 point deficit

Next up, tomorrow lunch-time, on Match Day 5 is a nice little trip up to Selhurst Park to play Palace away. Last season Match Day 5 saw us beat Swansea 1-0 at St. Mary's, a few days after defeating Sparta Prague 3-0 in the Europa League. Our trip away to Crystal Palace last season, however, saw us crumble to a 3-0 defeat. Given that, so far, Palace have lost every league match (they are still in the EFL Cup, having beaten Ipswich 2-1), without scoring a single goal, I sincerely hope we get a much better result this time around. In all honesty I would probably take a draw right now, but am ever hopeful for a win.......

COYS

Last season we also lost Match Day 4, although that time it was a 'not so hard to take' 2-1 loss away to Arsenal. Therefore, we actually remain....

Was it? I thought that was the one where the ref didn't blow when an Arse player was down in the box with a head injury, the ball came back in and we conceded a penalty that they won the game with.

Was it? I thought that was the one where the ref didn't blow when an Arse player was down in the box with a head injury, the ball came back in and we conceded a penalty that they won the game with.

Good memory! That had slipped my mind. I guess my point was losing away to Arsenal doesn't (usually) feel as bad as losing at home to Watford, where we only managed one shot on target which was in the 92nd minute. But, I do get your point. :)

Match Day 5 - away to Crystal Palace - won 1-0

A thoroughly deserved victory away to The Eagles; and a majestic performance from Mario Lemina. Hopefully this puts the 'always to lose to a new manager' thing to bed.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also won Match Day 5 by one goal to nil; on that occasion at home to Swansea. Therefore, this 3 points keeps us....

3 points better off

Last season we lost (3-0) away to Palace. The points gained here makes us......

1 point better off

So, for both means of comparison, we are exactly back to where we were after Match Day 2. Next up, tomorrow, on Match Day 6 is a little matter of hosting high-flying Man Utd. Last season Match Day 6 saw us notch-up a 3-0 win away to West Ham; whilst our home match against United, the penultimate one of the season, drew a blank for both sides giving a 0-0 draw. In all honesty, I would gladly take a draw tomorrow at this stage, especially given the start to the season United have had!

COYS

Match Day 6 - Home to Man Utd - Lost 0-1

I have only seen a few highlights of this match as I was in the air flying back home during the actual game. It seems we put up a spirited 2nd half but, yet again, failed to score at home.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 6 (3-0 away to West Ham). These dropped 3 points now mean we are....

equal to last season

Last season we drew at home to Man Utd. A dropped point here also means that we are now.......

equal to last season

So, there we have it - six games into the new season and we are exactly where we were last season for both means of comparison. Additionally, we also seem to be exactly where we were at the end of last season with our goal-scoring prowess (or lack thereof) at St. Mary's. I am usually one of the more positive posters on here, but I'm not feeling all warm and fuzzy right now. For me, the main highlight of the season so far has been Mario Lemina - what a joy to watch him play.

Next up, on Match Day 7, is an away trip to Stoke. Last season we drew Match Day 7 (0-0) away to Leicester; our match away to Stoke also brought about the same (0-0) scoreline. I guess it comes as no surprise then that I predict the same goalless outcome tomorrow. However, in order to prevent such an outcome I have dropped all Saints players from my fantasy football team for this coming weekend; hoping that will mean we keep a clean sheet and Gabbi will get on the score-sheet.

COYS

Cheers for that. I have to admit that as yet the new boss doesn't seem much different from the old boss in terms of the way the team is set up and plays. We are still turd in the final third though defense and midfield (Lemina looks a hell of a signing) look stronger this season than last. If one of forwards can find some scoring form we will have a solid season.

Cheers for that. I have to admit that as yet the new boss doesn't seem much different from the old boss in terms of the way the team is set up and plays. We are still turd in the final third though defense and midfield (Lemina looks a hell of a signing) look stronger this season than last. If one of forwards can find some scoring form we will have a solid season.

Fully agree with that. If only he would play Long and Gabbi together from the start, I think we would be better up front. Ever since they were (briefly) on the pitch together against Sevilla I have been wanting to see them pay in tandem. Hopefully, one match soon........

The new boss holds much better press conference 'though and handles the political grenades with aplomb and all this in a foreign language.

Sorry guys, I just had a very busy week and missed the weekly update. Therefore, I'll cover the past 2 games here.

First up, Match day 6, West Ham away - won 3-0!

In all honesty, we could (and probably should) have won this even more comfortably. Never really troubled in defence and tore them apart with some very slick play going forward; well, after the first 30 minutes anyway. it's always great to get 3 points away from home and, for some reason, it seems sweeter (to me at least) when it is from the Hammers (almost as good as from the Skates or Spurs, but not quite).

Match Day Comparison:

These 3 points put us on 8 from 6 matches. Last season we were only on 6 points from the first 6 matches.

2 points up on last season!

Match by Match Comparison:

Last season we lost 2-1 away to West Ham. Therefore, we have clawed back 3 points here. Putting us now on a.....

3 point deficit

As we now know, the West Ham match was followed by a trip to Israel in the Europa league. That match (0-0) saw us extend our unbeaten run to 5 matches having kept clean sheets in each of them. Could we keep this up away to the champions (Leicester) in our next league match?

Match Day 7 - Leicester away - drew 0-0

Yes! We did continue our unbeaten run and our impressive number of consecutive clean sheets keeps on going. Unfortunately we have failed to score in the past 2 matches also. However, whereas the Be'er Sheva match was very forgettable in this one we had the better chances and should have won. Anyway, what does this result do to our points comparison?

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 7 - 3-1 at home to Swansea, which gave us 9 points from the first 7 matches. This point puts us on the same 9 from 7.

Level with last season

Match by Match Comparison:

Last season we lost 1-0 away to the Foxes, so we have an improvement of 1 point; giving us an overall......

2 point deficit

On the face of it, things really aren't too different from last season as they stand right now. Personally, I still really wish we had made one more decent striking acquisition during the summer. I hope JRod and Boufal will be ready to play after the international break (although I feel the latter will take some time yet to gain match fitness).

We now have a 2 week break for internationals. Afterwards we have a home match against Burnley. Last season we won match day 8 (3-1) away to Chelsea. As Burnley are newly promoted I shall be comparing our matches with them to last seasons results versus Newcastle, who we beat 3-1 at St Mary's.

All this assumes we will start scoring more goals in open play. I remain sceptical i'm afraid because my half full glass is very slowly evaporating, despite the improved performance against Manure.

All this assumes we will start scoring more goals in open play. I remain sceptical i'm afraid because my half full glass is very slowly evaporating, despite the improved performance against Manure.

You do realise that you quoted a post from this time last year?

Anyway, thanks for doing so as it means it is just above here for easy comparison to the same time last season. :)

Match Day 7 - Away to Stoke - Lost 2-1

Yet another match where we dominated possession but failed to make it count. I am really starting to get worried about the manager's persistence with starting with the same formation and the same front four.......

Match Day Comparison

Last season we drew Match Day 7 (0-0) away to Leicester. One point dropped means we now have a......

1 point deficit

Last season we drew 0-0 away to Stoke. A dropped point here means we also have a........

1 point deficit

If you look above, you will see that this time last season the Match Day Comparison was level whilst the Match by Match Comparison was on -2. However, what we need to remember here is that last season was being compared to the highest points we had ever achieved in the PL - 63 points - the season previously (under Koeman); whereas, this season's is a comparison to the 46 point total we attained last season under Puel!

We now have a 2 week international break to lick our wounds and for Pellegrino to come up with a master plan to get us scoring, and winning, at St. Mary's. The next match, on Match Day 8, is at home to Newcastle (who replaced Hull in the league this season). Last season we won Match Day 8 (3-1) at home to Burnley; whilst our home match with Hull resulted in an 'all too familiar' 0-0 draw.

I would like to say that I am feeling confident all will be well against The Toon, but I have a nagging feeling that MP is not a man for changing his mind very quickly, and am also a bit worried about the fact that he dropped both Maya (yesterday's goal-scorer) and Lemina (our best player thus far this season) after the last break; which, I feel, played a big part in our home defeat to Watford!

• 3 weeks later...

Ooopps, let's just update this quick before today's match starts...........

So, last time out a drab match producing a 2-2 draw at home Newcastle. Nice to see Gabbi back amongst the goals though, and two decent ones at that. Yes, I know one was a penalty but WHAT a penalty!

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won match day 8 (3-1) at home to Burnley. Therefore, 2 dropped points gives us a.....

3 point deficit

I am using Hull for this comparison and last season we only managed a home draw against them too. So, we remain with a...

1 point deficit

Next up, very shortly, on Match Day 9 is a home match against WBA. Last season we drew Match Day 9 (1-1) away to Man City; whilst our home game against WBA resulted in a 2-1 defeat.

Match Day 9 - Home to WBA - won 1-0

What was looking to become yet another frustrating 0-0 draw (mainly thanks to the Baggies anti-football) despite having the majority of possession, was overturned by what will surely be the goal of the season from Sofiane Boufal.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we got one point from Match Day 9 with a 1-1 draw away to Man City. The 2 points extra we gained here now puts us on a.....

1 point deficit

Last season we also scored one goal against the Baggies at St. Mary's, but they scored two. So, three points gained. This makes us.......

2 points better off

Next up, on Match Day 10, is an away trip along the coast to Brighton. Fit the purposes of the Match by Match Comparison I will compare them to Middlesbrough from last season. Last season Match Day 10 saw us defeated 0-2 at home by Chelsea; whilst our away trip to Middlesbrough saw us come back with all three points following a 2-1 win. Another away win this weekend, with the away team scoring 2, would be very nice!

COYS

Match Day 10 - away to Brighton - drew 1-1

I don't think anyone should ever really grumble about an away draw, but somehow this feels like 2 points dropped - especially given our early lead.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day Ten, 2-0, at home to Chelsea. The one point gained puts us.....

on equal points at this stage last season

Last season we won (2-1) away to Middlesbrough - whose place in the PL Brighton took. Two points dropped means we are now also....

on equal points at this stage last season

Once more, this demonstrates that - in the league - we are no better or worse (thus far) than last season. Of course, we have not had to contend with European football, got knocked out of the EFL Cup at the first hurdle and have as yet only played one of the 'big teams'......

Next up, on Match Day 11, is a home fixture against the mighty Burnley. Last season we lost Match Day 11 (2-1) away to Hull; however, our home match against Burnley gave us a 3-1 win. Oh for 3 Saints goals tomorrow.............

COYS

Match Day 11 - Home to Burnley - Lost 0-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we lost Match Day 11, by a 2-1 scoreline, away to Hull (although that did come just 3 days after beating Inter 2-1 at home). No points either lost or gained means we remain....

on equal points to this stage last season

Last season we beat Burnley at St Mary's, 3-1. The three points dropped here means we now have a.......

3 point deficit

Next up, on Match Day 12, is a trip away to Liverpool. Last season, strangely enough, Match Day 12 was our home fixture against Liverpool. I am sure most will remember that both of our league matches against Liverpool last season in 0-0 draws. Just for once, I think I would be happy with that scoreline this time around - but I wouldn't put any money on it............

• 3 weeks later...

Match Day 12 - away to Liverpool - lost 3-0

I must admit, I didn't watch this match nor any 'highlights' - as I don't think there were any from a Saints perspective......

Match Day Comparison

Lat season we drew Match Day 12, 0-0, at home to Liverpool. So, one point dropped gives us a......

1 point deficit

A 0-0 draw was also the scoreline last season away to Liverpool. Therefore, another point dropped gives us a.......

4 point deficit

As you can see, which ever way you look at it, we are now officially worse than at this stage last season. Moreover, in my opinion, we are playing far worse football to boot!

Next up, on Match Day 13 (13!), is a must win match at home to Everton. Last season Match Day 13 was also our home fixture against Everton; which was won, 1-0, thanks to a first minute strike by Charlie Austin. Failure to win this time will, obviously, put us even further behind in comparison to last season........

Just a bit of further information: our home match against Everton last season came three days after our trip to, and defeat in, Prague; this year, we will play the Toffees three days after their home match against Atalanta in the Europa League - which they have already been (effectively) knocked out of and should, if they are wise, play an U23/reserve side in.

Match Day 13 - home to Everton - WON 4-1

Finally, a very good performance (even accounting for the opposition being pretty awful right now) with all 4 goals coming from open play!!

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 13 by a single goal to nil, at home to Everton. So we remain with a.....

1 point deficit

As mentioned above, we also beat them at home last season, which means we remain with a.....

4 point deficit

Next up, on Wednesday, is Match Day 14 and little matter of an away trip to table topping (and winning every match) Man City. Last season we lost Match Day 14, by a 3-0 scoreline, away to Palace; whilst our trip to the Etihad saw us return with a point due to a 1-1 draw. Right now, I honestly believe a draw would be an outstanding achievement for us this time around!

COYS

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, I've been on the road - time for a double update:

Match Day 14 - away to Man City - lost 2-1

Despite an amazing performance by the entire team we went down to a last minute, almost last second, goal. Heartbreaking.

Match Day Comparison

Last season we also lost Match Day 14 (3-0) away to Palace. Therefore, we remain at a.....

1 point deficit

We so nearly matched last season's result of a 1-1 draw at the Etihad. However, one point dropped gives us a.....

5 point deficit

Match Day 15 - away to Bournemouth - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 15 (1-0) at home to Middlesbrough. Two dropped points puts at a......

3 point deficit

Last season we won, 3-1, away to Bournemouth. Another two dropped points gives us a....

6 point deficit

As we can see, despite a few more promising performances, we are now steadily falling further and further behind last season's points total. The points total that many used as justification for Puel being sacked......

Next up, on Sunday, is Match Day 16 at home to Arsenal. Last season we drew Match Day 16 (0-0) away to Stoke; whilst our home (league) match against Arsenal saw us beaten by two goals to nil.

What is interesting to note is that this season we have won 4 matches. Between both the 1st and 2nd wins, and the 2nd and 3rd wins, there were 3 matches - 1 was drawn and 2 were lost. Thus far, after our 3rd win, we have had 1 draw and 1 loss. If the pattern holds to form we will lose on Sunday but win our following match - the return of a certain Mr Puel and his Leicester side......

We so nearly matched last season's result of a 1-1 draw at the Etihad. However, one point dropped gives us a.....

5 point deficit

Match Day 15 - away to Bournemouth - drew 1-1

Match Day Comparison

Last season we won Match Day 15 (1-0) at home to Middlesbrough. Two dropped points puts at a......

3 point deficit

Last season we won, 3-1, away to Bournemouth. Another two dropped points gives us a....

6 point deficit

I think your 6 point match-by-match deficit should be 7?? Was 5, then plus 2??

I think your 6 point match-by-match deficit should be 7?? Was 5, then plus 2??

Well spotted. You are quite correct. Match by Match we are 7 points worse off than last season.

Obviously, this means that if all results from now on equal those of last season we will finish on 39 points! :scared: