Charlton 0 Saints B 0 - Charlton Win Extra Point On Penalties

spyinthesky

Looks like a lot of the fans of premier league clubs have boycotted tonight. A few Saints have made the trip judging by pictures. No morals.

No surprises there. This is the club where a lot of its fans turned It's back on its greatest and most loyal player because a little Italian bloke told them what they wanted to hear.

Are Charlton playing their first team ?

They have to play at least 5 (or 6, cant remember) first team players (players who would have played, or will play, in the last/next league game)

Edit:

Eligibility Criteria:

- EFL Clubs – a minimum of 5 ‘First Team’ players in the starting 11 as defined under the competition’s existing rules.

- Invited Clubs – 6 of the starting 11 to be U21 (as at June 30).

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx#ohMHC1KHfdixD4zT.99

Edited by SO16_Saint

Why has the game gone to penalties when its not a knock out tournament at this stage?

Group matches will be of 90 minutes duration, with no extra time. If the scores are level at the end of the group match then each club is awarded one point. In addition, the match will be followed immediately by penalties and the club that wins the shootout will be awarded an additional point.

Why has the game gone to penalties when its not a knock out tournament at this stage?

In a way I wish all drawn games went straight to a penalty shoot out. Would at least add some excitement to the end of a 0-0 with Stoke. Extra time is tedious bull crap anyway, if the first 90 minutes is a non-event why drag it out another half hour.

Years ago when we had a first team at home, our reserves were away in the combination league, and vica versa. That meant our reserves were match fit if called up to the first team. This cup, together with the other league fixtures gives our younger players competitive football time.

Years ago when we had a first team at home, our reserves were away in the combination league, and vica versa. That meant our reserves were match fit if called up to the first team. This cup, together with the other league fixtures gives our younger players competitive football time.

..........and there was a Combination Cup....which we won 1968-69 season beating WHam in a two legged final and Saints had a 15,000 crowd for the Final at the Dell.

One of the most pointless games of football I've ever been to. (Live two train stops away so thought I'd give it a go).

I saw very little to persuade me that games like this will give any of the nippers the kind of 'competitive' experience they need. There was nothing competitive about it.

McCarthy (aside from missing the pen) looked sound when called upon. Valery looked like he would rather be sat with his feet up at home for most of the game. Stephens was solid at the back and played the ball out well. Reed was terrier like and everywhere but faded a lot towards the end of the game. McQueen is a unit and had a couple of good thumping efforts at goal. But otherwise, a really drab match settled by a ridiculously unnecessary penalty shoot out.

The poor bloke over the tannoy at the end had to persuade fans to stay in their seats. Many ignored. Bizarre evening.

They have to play at least 5 (or 6, cant remember) first team players (players who would have played, or will play, in the last/next league game)

Edit:

Eligibility Criteria:

- EFL Clubs – a minimum of 5 ‘First Team’ players in the starting 11 as defined under the competition’s existing rules.

- Invited Clubs – 6 of the starting 11 to be U21 (as at June 30).

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/efl-trophy-format-confirmed-for-201617-3170687.aspx#ohMHC1KHfdixD4zT.99

Pompey made 11 changes from the weekend v Yeovil. How does that work?

Decent game I thought. Personally I reckon Valery was one of the better players tonight, tall and very quick.

Sat in the Charlton side (end), and the general consensus was that Reed, McQueen, Hesketh, and Sims were our stand out players.

McCarthy looks a very decent backup keeper, a definite improvement on what we had available last year.

Decent game I thought. Personally I reckon Valery was one of the better players tonight, tall and very quick.

Sat in the Charlton side (end), and the general consensus was that Reed, McQueen, Hesketh, and Sims were our stand out players.

McCarthy looks a very decent backup keeper, a definite improvement on what we had available last year.

I liked the look of Valery in the preseason matches I watched online; granted that's no substitute for seeing him in the flesh, so good to read that you thought he looked decent.

I saw very little to persuade me that games like this will give any of the nippers the kind of 'competitive' experience they need. There was nothing competitive about it.

I can tell you for a fact some of the saints young players were really appreciative of the experience and felt they were in a competitive game against pros. Charlton players were pretty physical and surprisingly didn't go long ball all the time. Taking the penalties in a competitive sense is I think really important. Nerves were clearly present. But of course they want better and some are seeking to leave (on loan or sold) to get better. Some on the other hand are not being allowed to go due to the first team fixture list up to Christmas and the potential frailties of some of the first teamers injury wise.

But of course they want better and some are seeking to leave (on loan or sold) to get better. Some on the other hand are not being allowed to go due to the first team fixture list up to Christmas and the potential frailties of some of the first teamers injury wise.

Do you mean the Charlton players or our Saints nippers?