Puel

9-3

I, for one, heartily welcome this completely brand new poster Larry15.

If you need any help with how this forum works Larry, what with you being new to it and everything, then do let me know.

Always great to have new posters like Larry new on the forum especially when they are completely new. Welcome new person.

And back on track ...

Pretty impressed so far, but will be interesting to see how the mood is in a months time. I like to think I don't get too carried away in either direction, and while we're all pretty happy at the moment, we're away in 4 of the next 5 games including trips to the champions, this year's likely winners and of course inter. I like the system, the squad (think we're a centre back short) and the way he conducts himself, and I'll probably feel the same even if we have a difficult October, but I can imagine a few bedwetters will be resurfacing in the coming weeks.

So we've made it to the second international break and things are looking pretty promising to me. Do people still think Puel will be gone by Christmas and is out of his depth? Or is he winning people round.

It was only ever a few clueless fools who thought that to be fair.. they are very quiet on the subject at moment but

it will reappear when we/if lose a couple....

... is he winning people round.

He's winning me round, primarily because he's starting to understand players strengths and has realised that the 'diamond' is not always the right choice. If he wasn't learning anything then I'd be worried.

He's winning me round and he's adapted the rigid diamond formation which didn't work in the first few games. Ever since the Arsenal game we've played pretty well.

He's trusted Romeu and Austin more which has helped. Having Romeu at the base instead of Wanyama means we play out from the back better and we're less prone to be down to 10 men.

I still think we're a striker short but I suspect we'll fix that soon enough

So we've made it to the second international break and things are looking pretty promising to me. Do people still think Puel will be gone by Christmas and is out of his depth? Or is he winning people round.

Won me around - changing the system from a rigid diamond and strikers playing LM and RM, to a fluid front three with our strikers occasionally getting in the box has helped massively....

Won me around - changing the system from a rigid diamond and strikers playing LM and RM, to a fluid front three with our strikers occasionally getting in the box has helped massively....

For me we have played a fluid front three all season and I haven't seen any positional rigidity to our forwards. During the Sunderland and Watford games the players seemed to struggle to find a rhythm and that might have been down to them being on a steep learning curve with the new manager. I think we are still playing basically the same system but are getting better at it.

For me we have played a fluid front three all season and I haven't seen any positional rigidity to our forwards. During the Sunderland and Watford games the players seemed to struggle to find a rhythm and that might have been down to them being on a steep learning curve with the new manager. I think we are still playing basically the same system but are getting better at it.

this. the players are starting to be able to play Puels diamond formation with a lot more fluidity than we saw against the early home games. it all bodes well for the future particularly if he develops the younger players (including red ond and ward P) into better players.

The players slightly changed their movement patterns to accommodate Austin's strengths, and Bertrand came back from injury which improves our pace and accuracy of delivery. Other than that they're doing exactly the same stuff - as you can usually see when we have Redmond and Long up top just like in the early couple of games.

this. the players are starting to be able to play Puels diamond formation with a lot more fluidity than we saw against the early home games. it all bodes well for the future particularly if he develops the younger players (including red ond and ward P) into better players.

I see that Nice are currently sitting on top of the French league.

I know they have got a good manager in to replace Puel but their strong start to the season must surely indicate that Puel left the club in really good shape. Being top of the league is immense for a club of their size.

I see that Nice are currently sitting on top of the French league.

I know they have got a good manager in to replace Puel but their strong start to the season must surely indicate that Puel left the club in really good shape. Being top of the league is immense for a club of their size.

Balotelli.... ;)

We haven't changed the way we play. We have stopped giving away stupid penalties and lazy goals which means we, generally, only need one goal for a win. We didn't score against Be'er Sheva or Leicester. Had we given away a soft goal in either of those games and consequently lost then people would be on here moaning about the "diamond" and over-analysing basic playing errors.

We were rusty at the start of the season but now players are finding their form.

We haven't changed the way we play. We have stopped giving away stupid penalties and lazy goals which means we, generally, only need one goal for a win. We didn't score against Be'er Sheva or Leicester. Had we given away a soft goal in either of those games and consequently lost then people would be on here moaning about the "diamond" and over-analysing basic playing errors.

We were rusty at the start of the season but now players are finding their form.

Exactly that. I know all football fans are fickle, but some of ours take the biscuit these days.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.football365.com/news/premier-league-winners-and-losers-42

Claude Puel

"Unfancied – or at least relatively unknown in this country – when he arrived in England, and rather more so after Southampton failed to win any of their first four league games. Since then, Claude Puel’s rebuilding of the house that Mauricio and Ronaldo built is astonishing. Sam Vokes’ penalty is the first goal Puel’s side have conceded in seven matches, and they’re now back in a top eight that is beginning to feel like their natural home."

• 1 month later...
Liked him from the start and now more are starting to see his qualities

And Puel has dropped his diamond formation. Last two games we've played with proper wide players and a centre forward and we've been much better as a result. Tonight was similar to a Koeman performance from last year as we sat fairly deep with men behind the ball and looked to kill them on the break. Great football and even better to see the young lads getting chances which would never have happened under RK.

I thought Harrison Reed was particularly good tonight and we need to trust him more

And Puel has dropped his diamond formation. Last two games we've played with proper wide players and a centre forward and we've been much better as a result. Tonight was similar to a Koeman performance from last year as we sat fairly deep with men behind the ball and looked to kill them on the break. Great football and even better to see the young lads getting chances which would never have happened under RK.

I thought Harrison Reed was particularly good tonight and we need to trust him more

Agree with that mostly except we never really played the diamond but wont debate that as its been done to death

We needed this after that Prague performance and 2 wins on the bounce will do the team a world of good

My cautious side says let's relax a minute - Everton are in a real slump and arsenal were much changed (10 changes)

Delighted with the response since Prague but let's keep things in perspective and we have a huge game coming up

Delighted he's given youth a chance - it's brilliant watching Sims, Reed and McQueen play so well

We needed this after that Prague performance and 2 wins on the bounce will do the team a world of good

My cautious side says let's relax a minute - Everton are in a real slump and arsenal were much changed (10 changes)

Delighted with the response since Prague but let's keep things in perspective and we have a huge game coming up

Delighted he's given youth a chance - it's brilliant watching Sims, Reed and McQueen play so well

Were you happy with the team choice tonight

You called Puel a clown before kick off - now you're delighted with him. You're the master revisionist.

Completely agree about Reed. Any word about his foot injury - caused by the fantastic tackle which stopped Iwobi in his tracks.

Reed in particular, whenever he plays always does so well, has he actually ever had a bad first team game for us?? Romeu is better yes, but he has always filled in very well.

Delighted with Arsenals

Ours was disappointing but had enough - Boufal was excellent

He picked a team to win and they did... why the disappointment?

Perhaps you find it hard to admit you are wrong in your assessment of Puel... Clown was the word you used was`nt it?

but its obvious to most he clearly is`nt

He picked a team to win and they did... why the disappointment?

Perhaps you find it hard to admit you are wrong in your assessment of Puel... Clown was the word you used was`nt it?

but its obvious to most he clearly is`nt

back at it i see, even I find glasgow irritating mate and still think he is naive at the whole conception or rotation but stop wounding people up- it was a mix and match second choice XI in fairness to him- austin and no fonte, cedric, redmond, romeu, PEH

when st chalet said a week off last thursday- doesnt one week equal tomorrow (thursday)...