Puel

9-3

Puel is one win away from becoming the first man since Lawrie to qualify for Europe without relying on other sides. WGS got in because Arsenal were already in CL. The last 2 years because CL clubs won cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheeky fact for you....Lawrie was still a manager last time Puel won a trophy!

And thats despite having managed some of the bigger French sides.

We are in the EFL final thanks to teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Man C, WHU, WBA and Stoke putting out very weak sides.

Clubs generally don't give a **** about the EFL, even the FA cup these days. Hence why teams like Tranmere, Leicester x3, Birmingham x2, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Bolton have been in the final in recent years.

Even the last 5 years its been Sunderland, Swansea, Bradford (league 2) and Cardiff.

Delighted to be in a final but equally realise the chances of winning are v.slim and we are there as others simply didn't bover there asses

Cheeky fact for you....Lawrie was still a manager last time Puel won a trophy!

And thats despite having managed some of the bigger French sides.

We are in the EFL final thanks to teams like Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Man C, WHU, WBA and Stoke putting out very weak sides.

Clubs generally don't give a **** about the EFL, even the FA cup these days. Hence why teams like Tranmere, Leicester x3, Birmingham x2, Blackburn, Middlesbrough, Bolton have been in the final in recent years.

Even the last 5 years its been Sunderland, Swansea, Bradford (league 2) and Cardiff.

Delighted to be in a final but equally realise the chances of winning are v.slim and we are there as others simply didn't bover there asses

You'll get shot down as a troll for this, but it's comptley true.

Granted Liverpool played a strong team, however they had 2 massive fixtures after both of our games (1 eye on this?) and they are absolute **** at the moment.

Unless we win it, getting there is not an achievement and shouldn't be celebrated. It's a shame that fans expectation has drop so low in that it has been.

However, In reality Puel will not be sacked this season and probably not until this time next year if we're still struggling so may as well get behind him.

You'll get shot down as a troll for this, but it's comptley true.

Granted Liverpool played a strong team, however they had 2 massive fixtures after both of our games (1 eye on this?) and they are absolute **** at the moment.

Unless we win it, getting there is not an achievement and shouldn't be celebrated. It's a shame that fans expectation has drop so low in that it has been.

However, In reality Puel will not be sacked this season and probably not until this time next year if we're still struggling so may as well get behind him.

WE ARE ALSO ABSOLUTE SH1T AT THE MOMENT

WITH A 200 MILE ROUND TRIP TO SMS I'M NOT PLANNING ON RENEWING MY ST IF PUEL STAYS IN CHARGE

It's amazing that Poch or Koeman never got to a cup final seeing how easy it is. But of course we only got there because Liverpool are shiete. Let's just forget that that we've played them 3 times & have yet to concede ( they were blowing everyone away around the time of the first game) , Puel has never lost to Liverpool or that Klopp has never been knocked out in any of the semi finals he's reached.

It really does make me laugh. Everybody would have taken a drop off in the league for a final pre season, but now it's not good enough. Thank god there was no internet around in '76 because some clowns would have been bemoaning the lack of promotion & citing luck in drawing a 4th division side in the quarters & 3rd division in the semis. Of course Lawrie did get stick at first, not that anyone will admit giving it.So at least the Internet gives us the opportunity to revisit some posts in the coming year or two. There's going to be some right chumps giving up season tickets and boycotting games if we're in the group stages of the EL again.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

It really does make me laugh. Everybody would have taken a drop off in the league for a final pre season, but now it's not good enough.

Nobody is saying it’s not good and most people would take a drop off in the league + cup final.

What people object to is 6th-13th (is that a drop off or a plummet?) + The style of play is totally shocking.

I would have taken 10th + a final, but not if that means playing the way Puel does - it’s absolutely horrendous

Nobody is saying it’s not good and most people would take a drop off in the league + cup final.

What people object to is 6th-13th (is that a drop off or a plummet?) + The style of play is totally shocking.

I would have taken 10th + a final, but not if that means playing the way Puel does - it’s absolutely horrendous

Your "support" seems to come with an awful lot of preconditions. Are you sure you wouldn't be happier supporting Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd?

It's amazing that Poch or Koeman never got to a cup final seeing how easy it is. But of course we only got there because Liverpool are shiete. Let's just forget that that we've played them 3 times & have yet to concede ( they were blowing everyone away around the time of the first game) , Puel has never lost to Liverpool or that Klopp has never been knocked out in any of the semi finals he's reached.

It really does make me laugh. Everybody would have taken a drop off in the league for a final pre season, but now it's not good enough. Thank god there was no internet around in '76 because some clowns would have been bemoaning the lack of promotion & citing luck in drawing a 4th division side in the quarters & 3rd division in the semis. Of course Lawrie did get stick at first, not that anyone will admit giving it.So at least the Internet gives us the opportunity to revisit some posts in the coming year or two. There's going to be some right chumps giving up season tickets and boycotting games if we're in the group stages of the EL again.

You're completely missing the point that Poch and to some degree Koeman had very little interest in the cups (especially the EFL cup) and played under strength teams like we have had against us this year.

But if you think that failing in the league and Europe is okay because we've beaten 3 reserve teams and a team that can't buy a win (in all fairness happy to accept that Liverpool was a good result as poor as they current are, they should have had enough to beat us), then that's up to you. Personally, I'm not happy with it.

Lets hope we win it and stay up as it may help get fans (the ones that currently doubt him) back on Puels side.

I was just about to post something like this.

Why are people so desperate to play down us reaching the final? Why are people unable to recognise that it is a brilliant achievement? I don't get it.

As for other managers, Koeman was interested in the cups - we got to the quarter finals of the League Cup twice and the team bottled it on both occasions. In the earlier rounds, you could arguably say we named stronger teams than Puel did.

For the big occasion (two of them), Puel got the team to perform. That's a fact.

You're completely missing the point that Poch and to some degree Koeman had very little interest in the cups (especially the EFL cup) and played under strength teams like we have had against us this year.

But if you think that failing in the league and Europe is okay because we've beaten 3 reserve teams and a team that can't buy a win (in all fairness happy to accept that Liverpool was a good result as poor as they current are, they should have had enough to beat us), then that's up to you. Personally, I'm not happy with it.

Lets hope we win it and stay up as it may help get fans (the ones that currently doubt him) back on Puels side.

No doubt if Poch or Koeman beat the same line ups though you'd be loving it and not complaining.

No doubt if Poch or Koeman beat the same line ups though you'd be loving it and not complaining.

We weren't as consistently sh!t as we currently are under them though were we....

Koeman failed in Europe and cups (I was at both Midtjylland & Sheff Utd defeats and trust me, no one would have been anymore p!ssed off than me them days) but got us into Europe and improved on league position on 2 separate occasions.

I'm not trying to take away the fact that we are in a final, i'm just saying don't go to OTT in getting there as it'll mean nothing if we don't win it and finish bottom half.

We weren't as consistently sh!t as we currently are under them though were we....

Koeman failed in Europe and cups (I was at both Midtjylland & Sheff Utd defeats and trust me, no one would have been anymore p!ssed off than me them days) but got us into Europe and improved on league position on 2 separate occasions.

I'm not trying to take away the fact that we are in a final, i'm just saying don't go to OTT in getting there as it'll mean nothing if we don't win it and finish bottom half.

Koeman wouldn't have got us anywhere near Europe without Vic, Mane & Pelle. Anyway he didn't strictly get us into Europe . Arsenal & Man C did .

I guess we've been in so many finals that we can dismiss them as meaningless unless we win it. God help Puel if we happen to win on pens , no doubt you'll be claiming he " only won a penalty shoot out" .

Koeman wouldn't have got us anywhere near Europe without Vic, Mane & Pelle. Anyway he didn't strictly get us into Europe . Arsenal & Man C did .

I guess we've been in so many finals that we can dismiss them as meaningless unless we win it. God help Puel if we happen to win on pens , no doubt you'll be claiming he " only won a penalty shoot out" .

yeah that won't happen Tadic will powder puff one down the middle and I'm not convinced Hoj, Davis or Long could get one on target from 12 yards best if we just win it in the 90.

Koeman wouldn't have got us anywhere near Europe without Vic, Mane & Pelle.

Puel wouldn't have us in a final if it wasn't for a moment of magic from Boufal...

Anyway he didn't strictly get us into Europe . Arsenal & Man C did .

Was it also them that got us to our highest ever PL finish? I forgot to thank them.

I guess we've been in so many finals that we can dismiss them as meaningless unless we win it.

I'm a competitive person, football is a competitive game but I tell you what, lets celebrate being second best in a competition that generally no one wants to be in (nearly every PL team will put out a weakened team) until the semi final, and having a sh!t season.

God help Puel if we happen to win on pens , no doubt you'll be claiming he " only won a penalty shoot out" .

IF we win, then I will give credit to Puel. Jose generally doesn't lose finals and United are showing signs of being their former selves. IMO he needs to win this to save our season (unless we have a freak run of results like last year under RK).

Did we play or were we able to play our strongest team in any round of the EFL Cup? We did not. For the sake of balance I think that should be acknowledged.

Does he even know our strongest team? he was changing it every week back then.

:lol: So other teams play a weakened side yet we didn't know our strongest side which could be a reason it was weak?

I think it's fair to say you don't like him, we could win 10 games in a row and you would find reasons it happened other than Puel's tactical nous. That's fair enough, some have said he could win the prem and they'd still want him out because they don't like his football. Not a point I agree with but if that's their point of view then that's up to them.

Edited by Saint_Ash

Irrelevant. The point is we didn't or weren't able to play our strongest team in any of the rounds yet we won and fully deserve to be at Wembley. (As an aside I believe he knows his strongest team and did so from early on. His comment about not knowing his best side was, I believe, to encourage the lesser members of the squad to play with confidence. I mean, you know our strongest side, why wouldn't an experienced coach like Puel?)

:lol: So other teams play a weakened side yet we didn't know our strongest side which could be a reason it was weak?

I think it's fair to say you don't like him, we could win 10 games in a row and you would find reasons it happened other than Puel's tactical nous. That's fair enough, some have said he could win the prem and they'd still want him out because they don't like his football. Not a point I agree with but if that's their point of view then that's up to them.

How many of palace, Sunderland & Arsenals teams have played in the PL & Europe this year?

I can bet you we had more.

Will it be credit to Puel if we win?

Will it be Puel`s fault if we dont?

If we beat united I think you have to give him credit. (United generally playing well at the moment & Jose doesn't lose finals!).

Not sure id blame Puel if we don't win, but I will blame him for poor EL run and below average football in a below average season.

Results have been indifferent, more than indifferent, and Reed is gonna have to make a big call in the Summer. Either Puel knows what he's doing and can turn things round, or he don't and he can't. I can see arguments and evidence on both sides, but I've got no idea how any of you cunts can be so certain about it. Join me up here, on the fence! I wouldn't say it's exactly comfortable, but you can at least look down on people.

Results have been indifferent, more than indifferent, and Reed is gonna have to make a big call in the Summer. Either Puel knows what he's doing and can turn things round, or he don't and he can't. I can see arguments and evidence on both sides, but I've got no idea how any of you cunts can be so certain about it. Join me up here, on the fence! I wouldn't say it's exactly comfortable, but you can at least look down on people.

So you're the Switzerland of saints supporters careful picking the middle ground between bed wetter's and happy clappers all the while hiding Les's ill gotten gains in your bank account....

Nice Language, trouble is if too many people sit on fences they fall down.

That's ****ing legendary.

How did you past the swear filter? Are you Edward Snowden?

Will it be credit to Puel if we win?

Will it be Puel`s fault if we dont?

For me it's irrelevant.

He has done a great job getting us to a final etc etc.

However overall I can't see many positives in his tenure at St Mary's so far. This isn't about being 13th in the league but about the overall form and direction of the playing style, the inflexibility, the shocking away record, the rotation policy which cost us getting through the group stages in Europe, the total disrespect of the FA Cup, the body language of players who look like they really don't want to be here,...etc etc

I honestly hope he can turn it around but personally I don't think he will have the capability and we will continue a downward spiral. (Although Barry did give some hope that things could get better)

I cheer the team at the games, I have never booed our players or even the returning ones.

I will however give Puel stick unless he starts getting results just like I did branfoot.

To those complaining about people "not supporting the team" because they voice concerns about the current manager...I hope you stayed sat down against Ipswich when "stand up if you want Lowe out" was sang all those years ago? I hope you sing Puels name should he take us to the championship? I hope you don't plan to protest should the Chinese take over and strip the club of every asset?

Sometimes voicing your opinion is part of a being a club.

There are far too many pompous asses on here thinking only their opinion is he right one and using "support of the club" to try and shame people into supporting their happy clappy crap.

For me it's irrelevant.

He has done a great job getting us to a final etc etc.

However overall I can't see many positives in his tenure at St Mary's so far. This isn't about being 13th in the league but about the overall form and direction of the playing style, the inflexibility, the shocking away record, the rotation policy which cost us getting through the group stages in Europe, the total disrespect of the FA Cup, the body language of players who look like they really don't want to be here,...etc etc

I honestly hope he can turn it around but personally I don't think he will have the capability and we will continue a downward spiral. (Although Barry did give some hope that things could get better)

I cheer the team at the games, I have never booed our players or even the returning ones.

I will however give Puel stick unless he starts getting results just like I did branfoot.

To those complaining about people "not supporting the team" because they voice concerns about the current manager...I hope you stayed sat down against Ipswich when "stand up if you want Lowe out" was sang all those years ago? I hope you sing Puels name should he take us to the championship? I hope you don't plan to protest should the Chinese take over and strip the club of every asset?

Sometimes voicing your opinion is part of a being a club.

There are far too many pompous asses on here thinking only their opinion is he right one and using "support of the club" to try and shame people into supporting their happy clappy crap.

Nail on the head, most fans just want to see a better quality of attacking football under puel not the boring rubbish weve seen for the majority of the season, its not a vendetta, Puel could indeed turn it around like koeman did after his poor spell, however I cant see it happening as you need players to back their manager & i feel that some agree & dont see puel as a long term solution.

Nail on the head, most fans just want to see a better quality of attacking football under puel not the boring rubbish weve seen for the majority of the season, its not a vendetta, Puel could indeed turn it around like koeman did after his poor spell, however I cant see it happening as you need players to back their manager & i feel that some agree & dont see puel as a long term solution.

Bollix no one really cares about style its about winning. If we played like peps Barca and lost every week people would still be unhappy. If we played route one smash it long but won every game everyone would be happy.

Leicester fans are great example didn't see any of them complaining about the style of football last season but now they aren't winning most weeks they're all whinging about it.

The style complaint is really just an excuse for people being unhappy we aren't winning more games. Nothing wrong with being upset when we don't win but lets just be honest about it. In ideal world your team wins every game playing like 1970s Brazil but in the end its the winning that truly matters not the way you do it.

Cue loads of posters saying they'd rather lose every week playing eye catching football....

Not that I can be really bothered to go into whether Puel should stay or go but I just came across this which should dispel any ideas about us not being attacking or having enough shots with him in charge.

Bet the fans at Bayern, Juventus, Chelsea and Monaco are fuming at their boring style of play too.

C4S3NCNWcAAR2Oc.jpg:large

Not that I can be really bothered to go into whether Puel should stay or go but I just came across this which should dispel any ideas about us not being attacking or having enough shots with him in charge.

Bet the fans at Bayern, Juventus, Chelsea and Monaco are fuming at their boring style of play too.

C4S3NCNWcAAR2Oc.jpg:large

It is not about the attacking style, really its about winning, if we were winning the style argument would be discussed far less that it is..

Bollix no one really cares about style its about winning. If we played like peps Barca and lost every week people would still be unhappy. If we played route one smash it long but won every game everyone would be happy.

Leicester fans are great example didn't see any of them complaining about the style of football last season but now they aren't winning most weeks they're all whinging about it.

The style complaint is really just an excuse for people being unhappy we aren't winning more games. Nothing wrong with being upset when we don't win but lets just be honest about it. In ideal world your team wins every game playing like 1970s Brazil but in the end its the winning that truly matters not the way you do it.

Cue loads of posters saying they'd rather lose every week playing eye catching football....

In fairness, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head (Although I've found myself coming away from some wins this season not feeling like I used to though). However, I do have to say when you lose it's a little easier to stomach if you have a good go at it and play well... Think Arsenal at the beginning of the season.

I don't completely blame Puel for a negative style as at times Koeman was (away from home), however he had players like Mane who would leave you on the edge of your seat.

I do feel for Puel as he's been given a tough time of it with Injuries and we've had a sh!t load of games this year... We look a much better team when Boufal is in there and I'd imagine the same will be said about Gabbiadini. However no one can deny that in the main (EFL cup run aside, which as I've said IMO has covered over the cracks) we have been pretty poor this season.

I have doubts about Puel and am by no means his biggest fan, however I like what he's done with the younger players (Mcqueen and Sims) and he has improved players (if that's down to him or them getting game time is to be argued). Realistically Les will not sack him, unless we drop into the bottom 3, so I'm happy to give him time and really hope he is backed in the summer transfer window & we get the players HE wants that suit HIS favored formation, and not what Les wants.

Time to make a statement Claude as you could potentially go down in Southampton history if we win on 26th.