Perspective and Patience.

SaintSeb

Hi, I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have rarely posted, but given the ridiculousness of some posts I've read following the previous match I thought I might as well chuck my opinion into the ring...

There has been a sudden and rapid snowballing of negativity on this forum. This has been aimed at a board that, albeit with a few personnel changes, has overseen steady and near constant progress and success over the past 7 years and at a manager who has so far only lost one match in charge; away from home against a Manchester United side who have just broken the world transfer record for arguably the best box to box midfielder out there and signed one of the most talented and decorated strikers of all time.

Now, I'm all for people being able to express their opinion even if it goes against the grain or isn't all smiley and rosey, but some people really do need to get a grip.

Firstly, the club has now replaced each player who has left this summer: Juanmi with Redmond, Mane with Boufal, Wanyama with Hojbjerg and Pelle's departure was already covered by Austin. (I haven't counted Ramirez as he contributed as little to nothing as you could possibly get to the last season and spent half of it not at the club.) Only time will tell if these players will be capable replacements, but surely some patience is warranted as not all players settle at the same rate. I seem to remember Mane, Pelle and even Wanyama at points, all being heavily criticised or written off as flops on here by some.

Secondly, we have played three competitive games so far. Three. We have yet to win, but last season we won once in ten matches in the league at one point, with only one draw in there too; against a Villa side who were one of the worst ever in the Premier League. I know it's a new season, new team, past results are irrelevant to now etc., but what I think is relevant is the comparison between managerial treatment. Koeman was nowhere near as criticised as Puel has been and that run produced numerous poor performances far worse than any we've seen thus far in my view. I know he had earned the fans' faith by then after a strong season in charge, but surely Puel deserves a chance to get going at the very least? At the moment there seems to be a guilty until proven innocent attitude amongst some fans. I mean, come on, this barely even constitutes a bad run of form yet, let alone a crisis!

Thirdly, we are Southampton. We are not a powerhouse in the football world. Players will come and players will go, often over only a two season term. It's a shame, obviously, but it's the reality of things. Things are gradually improving, however. Whilst I think Pelle could have done a job for us for another season or two, he had slowly been phased out of the starting lineup by Long and would have been seen as below Austin in the pecking order this coming season. For me, we've lost two guaranteed starters this summer (Mane, Wanyama) as opposed to three the summer before (Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderweireld) and four the one before that (Lambert, Lovren, Lallana, Shaw. Five if you counted Chambers as starting RB).

Finally, our performances to date this season have really not been as bad as some are making out. Heck if you look at the statistics alongside them you'd say we've actually been a bit unlucky. Yes I know lies, damned lies and all that, but it really hasn't been the 'Propaganda football' some have claimed; it's not like we've been having hundreds of pot shots from forty yards or Van Dijk and Fonte have been tapping it back and forth to each other for minutes at a time to boost our percentages. We've had solid moments of play in all three games and a few very exciting ones too where the midfield and attack have linked up brilliantly. Admittedly there have been some iffy periods but in general I genuinely believe we've been alright; not great, but alright. The potential is definitely there though in my view, it's just a matter of time before it's unlocked.

Anyway, this post is starting to become long winded, so I'll cut to the chase: Maintain some patience and perspective. There is no crisis yet. There's more than 40 games left in the season as a whole, 35 of those in the league so I think we might have enough time to turn it around. Let's not become a knee-jerk fan base and let's get behind the team, because creating a negative atmosphere might make some feel validated, but it is never helpful in bringing about good results that we all desire.

Edited by SaintSeb
Spelling and Grammar

Stop talking sense, idiots are trying to be idiots here. ;)

There has been a LOT of propaganda football though, mainly because we didn't have someone to unlock defences or create space, and little alternative to slinging low crosses in. But you're right that some people have gone mental. Koeman got a load of goodwill due to his great start and record finishes, Puel hasn't got that in the bank yet, and people choose to ignore his accomplishments.

Great post - I personally believe the majority feel the same as you, it's unfortunate that a few WUM's on this site can influence the thoughts of others.

It doesn't annoy me in general how short sighted football fans are (not just ourselves). Lose a couple of games, re-invent the wheel - new manager, new board, new players. History tells you that patience and sticking with what you have for a decent amount of time is often the best fix you can employ. People need to be careful what they wish for, we could have so easily been taken over by the types of people in charge at Forest, Hull, Leeds, Coventry...the list goes on. We struck gold with Markus and thankfully his daughter is following in his memory.

Les Reed gets so much abuse on here and I've never known why. He seems to be the automatic person to blame when things aren't going well, yet when we're doing well....it's all just luck (apparently?). Improving season upon season for 7 years, with him as Director of Football, isn't luck - he knows what he's doing and people should trust in what he does, it could be a lot worse - a hell of a lot worse.

There is a lot of sense in your post but if you compare our three major incomings (all good signings) against our three major outgoings I would say we are a weaker team at present (still 2 days to go).

That and the fact we are playing a new system with a new manager has lead to the over the top unrest.

FF, of course we are less strong. Even if you can compare like for like player wise, the likes of Liverpool aren't going to pay us £35m for a player that is inferior to one that we pick up for half that price as they can just go and do that themselves and by-pass us completely.

There is a lot of sense in your post but if you compare our three major incomings (all good signings) against our three major outgoings I would say we are a weaker team at present (still 2 days to go).

That and the fact we are playing a new system with a new manager has lead to the over the top unrest.

We're never going to be in a position to go and replace a Mane for e.g, with a total like for like. If there was a like for like out there, then he'd have already moved to a big club. We have to go down the other route - look for young potential, players who want to improve and have all the raw tools to reach the top level. That's where our 3 signings rank.

When we brought in Mane he wasn't a world beater, he had a similar profile as Boufal (possibly not as highly rated at the time), but also had the right attitude and raw tools to improve. We improved him, just as we'll improve Hojbjerg, Redmond and co. I think there is a sense that people look at how Redmond performed at Norwich and see that as his maximum, but I can assure you the club wouldn't have signed him if they thought that was his maximum.

In a season or 2 I'm sure we'll be back on here winging and moaning that we cannot keep Boufal and we haven't replaced him with a decent replacement etc. And the wheel will go round. and round. I accept where we sit on the football food chain and as a club we've got it down to the t.

There's still no real reason for the hysterical rubbish written on here. (Although mainly from trolls and WUM's it has to be said)

Great post,it's been a long time coming on here. As you say that run we had under koeman was abysmal and people calling for his head.We then beat arsenal 4-0 boxing day and the same people were calling for champions league!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, I've been a long time lurker on the forum and have rarely posted, but given the ridiculousness of some posts I've read following the previous match I thought I might as well chuck my opinion into the ring...

There has been a sudden and rapid snowballing of negativity on this forum. This has been aimed at a board that, albeit with a few personnel changes, has overseen steady and near constant progress and success over the past 7 years and at a manager who has so far only lost one match in charge; away from home against a Manchester United side who have just broken the world transfer record for arguably the best box to box midfielder out there and signed one of the most talented and decorated strikers of all time.

Now, I'm all for people being able to express their opinion even if it goes against the grain or isn't all smiley and rosey, but some people really do need to get a grip.

Firstly, the club has now replaced each player who has left this summer: Juanmi with Redmond, Mane with Boufal, Wanyama with Hojbjerg and Pelle's departure was already covered by Austin. (I haven't counted Ramirez as he contributed as little to nothing as you could possibly get to the last season and spent half of it not at the club.) Only time will tell if these players will be capable replacements, but surely some patience is warranted as not all players settle at the same rate. I seem to remember Mane, Pelle and even Wanyama at points, all being heavily criticised or written of as flops on here by some.

Secondly, we have played three competitive games so far. Three. We have yet to win, but last season we won once in ten matches in the league at one point, with only one draw in there too; against a Villa side who were one of the worst ever in the Premier League. I know it's a new season, new team, past results are irrelevant to now etc., but what I think is relevant is the comparison between managerial treatment. Koeman was nowhere near as criticised as Puel has been and that run produced numerous poor performances far worse than any we've seen thus far in my view. I know he had earned the fans' faith by then after a strong season in charge, but surely Puel deserves a chance to get going at the very least? At the moment there seems to be a guilty until proven innocent attitude amongst some fans. I mean, come on, this barely even constitutes a bad run of form yet, let alone a crisis!

Thirdly, we are Southampton. We are not a powerhouse in the football world. Players will come and players will go, often over only a two season term. It's a shame, obviously, but it's the reality of things. Things are gradually improving, however. Whilst I think Pelle could have done a job for us for another season or two, he had slowly been phased out of the starting lineup by Long and would have been seen as below Austin in the pecking order this coming season. For me, we've lost two guaranteed starters this summer (Mane, Wanyama) as opposed to three the summer before (Schneiderlin, Clyne, Alderweireld) and four the one before that (Lambert, Lovren, Lallana, Shaw. Five if you counted Chambers as starting RB).

Finally, our performances to date this season have really not been as bad as some are making out. Heck if you look at the statistics alongside them you'd say we've actually been a bit unlucky. Yes I know lies, damned lies and all that, but it really hasn't been the 'Propaganda football' some have claimed; it's not like we've been having hundreds of pot shots from forty yards or Van Dijk and Fonte have been tapping it back and forth to each other for minutes at a time to boost our percentages. We've had solid moments of play in all three games and a few very exciting ones too where the midfield and attack have linked up brilliantly. Admittedly there have been some iffy periods but in general I genuinely believe we've been alright; not great, but alright. The potential is definitely there though in my view, it's just a matter of time before it's unlocked.

Anyway, this post is starting to become long winded, so I'll cut to the chase: Maintain some patience and perspective. There is no crisis yet. There's more than 40 games left in the season as a whole, 35 of those in the league so I think we might have enough time to turn it around. Let's not become a knee-jerk fan base and get behind the team, because creating a negative atmosphere might make some feel validated, but it is never helpful in bringing about good results that we all desire..

3/10

Firstly, the club has now replaced each player who has left this summer: Juanmi with Redmond, Mane with Boufal, Wanyama with Hojbjerg and Pelle's departure was already covered by Austin. (I haven't counted Ramirez as he contributed as little to nothing as you could possibly get to the last season and spent half of it not at the club.) Only time will tell if these players will be capable replacements, but surely some patience is warranted as not all players settle at the same rate. I seem to remember Mane, Pelle and even Wanyama at points, all being heavily criticised or written of as flops on here by some.

Anyway, this post is starting to become long winded, so I'll cut to the chase: Maintain some patience and perspective. There is no crisis yet. There's more than 40 games left in the season as a whole, 35 of those in the league so I think we might have enough time to turn it around. Let's not become a knee-jerk fan base and get behind the team, because creating a negative atmosphere might make some feel validated, but it is never helpful in bringing about good results that we all desire..

hi Ralph.

Spot on. Well done.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Let's just watch and say nothing, the club knows what it is doing..... This forum in 2007. 2 years later we were in league 1 and administration

"That is all that the criminal wants of the law—to be let alone. The sin of doing nothing is the deadliest of all the seven sins. It has been said that for evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing.”

Yes you are correct we just cannot possibly become a better team if we lose influential players and coaches so I am not expecting us to be as competitive this season but I can see this team developing next season to be a very good one.

Perhaps we will succeed in Europe with the new formation this season as we were pretty awful in Europe last season

It's the high expectations which come with having a really good team coupled with the age-old mentality of Saints (and I'm sure other) fans that something going a bit wrong is in fact going very wrong.

Yes you are correct we just cannot possibly become a better team if we lose influential players and coaches

You're right, impossible. Can't possibly happen.

The thing is a lot has changed at the club which isn't just about players who left and those who we have brought in. Time will tell if those players can be at the level of those replaced. But we have lost a very good manager and replaced him with someone who has only managed in one country. Add to that the system that has made us successful in previous seasons has now been changed. We will see if the clubs decisions turn out to be the right moves or not. Three games in isn't the right time to judge it either way.

No issue with the incoming players, I think they will all prove to be good signings. It's the manager that worries me.

Yeah. I'm trying to be positive but the total lack of charisma is a bad starting point and I'm not convinced by his post-match analyses. A bit more incisive realism needed.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Let's just watch and say nothing, the club knows what it is doing..... This forum in 2007. 2 years later we were in league 1 and administration

"That is all that the criminal wants of the law—to be let alone. The sin of doing nothing is the deadliest of all the seven sins. It has been said that for evil men to accomplish their purpose it is only necessary that good men should do nothing.”

Whereas trolling every decision ever made makes you some sort of internet hero?

I salute you. I appear, however, to only be able to use one finger

0.04/10.

Saintseb, far too logical - this forum never gives new managers, players or systems a chance to bed in over say 8-10 games, instant improvement is compulsory.

Puel has managed us for 9 games now, I've not seen anything in any of those 9 games to inspire optimism

I am more patient than some on here, but also have a skill for spotting talent and lack there of before most. Should I wait for the rest to catch up before I can comment?

Doing nothing and saying nothing does not make you a better fan...

Puel has managed us for 9 games now, I've not seen anything in any of those 9 games to inspire optimism

I am more patient than some on here, but also have a skill for spotting talent and lack there of before most. Should I wait for the rest to catch up before I can comment?

0.0004/10.

FF, of course we are less strong. Even if you can compare like for like player wise, the likes of Liverpool aren't going to pay us £35m for a player that is inferior to one that we pick up for half that price as they can just go and do that themselves and by-pass us completely.

Why?They've never done that in the past. ;-)

This post lost all credibility due to it being factually incorrect. At no point did we have only one win in ten league games last season. That is a myth perpetuated by those with an agenda.

One win in 10 games in all comps.

1 win in 8 league games.

Between November 21st > Sat 9th Jan. (our only win in that period was the 4-0 league win over Arsenal on boxing day)

Totally and utterly differing situation, let's at least be reasonable with our comparisons.

Also, interesting quote, if highly ridiculous given that this is a forum about a football club and not 1930s Germany. Unnecessary high rhetoric makes you come across a bit David Brent.

Really, just **** off, you are a total cock.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Reminds me of the Autumn of 2004. 'All's Rosy in the Garden' 'No need to panic' 'Relax' etc...

Oh, just puss off. This is from the person who every year says we'll finish 17th. I've been using the internet for over 20 years now and my patience with the merchant bankers wore thin years ago.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, yeah that definitely happened.

Except the place (well, strictly it's forerunner(s)) was ripping itself apart from Prem relegation onwards due to people having a pop at the various failed attempts to right the ship whether good or bad, and you couldn't move for people slagging everything off. The people saying "the club knows what it's doing" were few and far between - especially given that what constituted "the club" between 2007 and 2009 changed frequently.

This post lost all credibility due to it being factually incorrect. At no point did we have only one win in ten league games last season. That is a myth perpetuated by those with an agenda.

Yeah that's my bad I really should have checked that one I thought it was league games not all comps. Regardless, we still had a f*cking horrific run last season, looking far worse than we have so far during this one, in my view.

Also, I have no agenda other than supporting Southampton, as all of us do (although for some posters I do question that fact). I just share a more optimistic standpoint than to write off a manager after 3 competitive matches.

I'm not trying to say Puel is amazing, or that the players we've bought will perform as well as those we've lost (although I'm hopeful that they will!) All I'm saying is that none of us really know yet, but the signs aren't nearly as bad as some claim and to give it some time before the pitch forks come out.

Edited by SaintSeb
Changing last bit slightly.

Yeah that's my bad I really should have checked that one I thought it was league games not all comps. Regardless, we still had a f*cking horrific run last season, looking far worse than we have so far during this one, in my view.

Also, I have no agenda other than supporting Southampton, as all of us do (although for some posters I do question that fact). I just share a more optimistic standpoint than to write off a manager after 3 competitive matches.

I'm not trying to say Puel is amazing, or that the players we've bought will perform as well as those we've lost, I'm just saying that none of us really know yet, but the signs aren't nearly as bad as some claim and to give it some time before the pitch forks come out.

Far too reasonable.

I'm not trying to say Puel is amazing, or that the players we've bought will perform as well as those we've lost, I'm just saying that none of us really know yet, but the signs aren't nearly as bad as some claim and to give it some time before the pitch forks come out.

See, I wouldn't even call your viewpoint optimistic - it's just plain common sense.

y

Fair enough...the thing that really pee's me off is the airbrushing of history that happens.. Now I think Many of our deserters are grade a c*nts but the fabrication and masking of their achievements (which is all part of our rise) is just amazing. I assumed this was another of those...

No matter what is said RK did a great job for us and cut those results differently- rather than take the ten worst in isolation- and it becomes a different view point. Two years, two record points haul..you can't get better and Puel is on a hiding to nothing due to that!

It the same with Cortese..a total **** but he presided over four of the 7 years of improvement and again people are trying yo airbrush that out of history with incorrect "facts" and give all the credit to Les.

It's early days...Puel has a reputation for his teams playing good footy so I look forward to that but ultimately it's his job not mine to deliver results and until he does he will be under increasing pressure. Apparently 8 bad games was enough for RK to be nearly sacked so he need something significant in the next 5 games!

y

Fair enough...the thing that really pee's me off is the airbrushing of history that happens.. Now I think Many of our deserters are grade a c*nts but the fabrication and masking of their achievements (which is all part of our rise) is just amazing. I assumed this was another of those...

No matter what is said RK did a great job for us and cut those results differently- rather than take the ten worst in isolation- and it becomes a different view point. Two years, two record points haul..you can't get better and Puel is on a hiding to nothing due to that!

It the same with Cortese..a total **** but he presided over four of the 7 years of improvement and again people are trying yo airbrush that out of history with incorrect "facts" and give all the credit to Les.

It's early days...Puel has a reputation for his teams playing good footy so I look forward to that but ultimately it's his job not mine to deliver results and until he does he will be under increasing pressure. Apparently 8 bad games was enough for RK to be nearly sacked so he need something significant in the next 5 games!

I agree about the airbrushing of history part, there's no doubting Koeman did very, very well here. The fact is though that he had that poor a run and there was, from my memory, nowhere near as much negativity towards him as there has been to Puel. Obviously that comes down to, like you said, him delivering results previously. The fact is that there have only been three results so far this season and you can't judge a manager based on that amount.

Believe me, if we go 10 games all comps without a win with the majority of a team that finished top 6 last season, I will be amongst those saying his job's in serious, serious doubt!

Good post and all good points. Thus far, I'm not overly inspired by Puel and it feels like our luck may run out with the sell/replace/still have success cycle. That being said, if results continue in a similar vein I could see how Puel might become vulnerable. Still, it's early days yet and no need to lose our heads just yet. My hope is that Europa doesn't negatively affect the squad and our PL performance. Statistically though, it probably will.

just for the record I too am a lurker visiting the site several times a day to see what others think (and rarely agreeing with all the negativity). I don't post because of the pointless invective that seems to generate. I completely agree with the sentiment of the first post though - we've played some good football in periods so far and with time (which Puel should be given) I'm confident that we'll see the Saints march on. Getting a new system bedded in and tweaking the personnel to make it more effective can't be done overnight. The team and club have delivered enough over the last few years to deserve our support during a transition.