Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

Well there we go then. In my opinion we aren't stronger than last year and we really could have done with being stronger for Europe and the cups etc. We now have to really look at this formation and get it to work with the players we have. I'm going for lower mid table this year but potential for us to get into trouble if we get a couple of key injuries. I really think we have taken a risk by not getting one or two more in.

Well there we go then. In my opinion we aren't stronger than last year and we really could have done with being stronger for Europe and the cups etc. We now have to really look at this formation and get it to work with the players we have. I'm going for lower mid table this year but potential for us to get into trouble if we get a couple of key injuries. I really think we have taken a risk by not getting one or two more in.

Agree

This is the transfer deadline thread, I'm commenting on deals being done. What's your issue? Maybe I should join in with the narrative of slagging our club off. Should fit in.

Fair enough; just don't think we will be laughing at them for long. Best to move on i think.

Nowt is happening. The media would have a whiff of it by now and Jim White would be spunking up the walls. Oh well. One more signing would've been good but we have a decent squad to compete as long as there are minimal injuries.

Fortunately we never get any injuries.

We are one injury away from Yoshida getting an extended run in the side.

Injuries to any one of Fonte, VVD and, to a lesser extent, Hojberg would really test us.

Agree that it's a risk that we haven't signed one more just got to hope we've got enough in the tank until January if things get desperate.

Easy to see the squad being stretched quite thinly between now and Christmas.

A good window IMO. We have 2 good players for every position and room for a couple of youngsters to get some chances if good enough. I'd have liked us to move on Targett and Yoshida and replaced with better but you can't have it all. I'm certainly glad we didn't get involved in some of the ridiculous fees flying around

We are one injury away from Yoshida getting an extended run in the side.

Injuries to any one of Fonte, VVD and, to a lesser extent, Hojberg would really test us.

Agree that it's a risk that we haven't signed one more just got to hope we've got enough in the tank until January if things get desperate.

Easy to see the squad being stretched quite thinly between now and Christmas.

I think Gardos will be ahead of Yoshida when fully fit.

A record signing, an England U21, a Danish international from Bayern's youth team and finally a half decent reserve keeper.

Disgraceful.

The 'record' signing, whilst true, is a pretty irrelevant metric as demonstrated by numerous signings across the divisions this window.

The 'record' signing, whilst true, is a pretty irrelevant metric as demonstrated by numerous signings across the divisions this window.

Agreed. When you look at some of the fees being thrown around it really doesn't mean very much.

With the managerial appointment and this window, it does feel at this point that we have pi ssed away our elevated status that came through our top six finish. Not sure our stock would ever be higher and I genuinely thought we might try and build our best ever squad. I don't think we've done that.

I dont believe we have a stronger squad for the heavy schedule ahead and the manager clearly has some work to do.

Let's hope Hojberg and Boufal turn out to be a couple of gems and those that were new this time last year - Cedric, Clasie, Romeu - step up now.

We march on.

With the managerial appointment and this window, it does feel at this point that we have pi ssed away our elevated status that came through our top six finish. Not sure our stock would ever be higher and I genuinely thought we might try and build our best ever squad. I don't think we've done that.

I dont believe we have a stronger squad for the heavy schedule ahead and the manager clearly has some work to do.

Let's hope Hojberg and Boufal turn out to be a couple of gems and those that were new this time last year - Cedric, Clasie, Romeu - step up now.

We march on.

Agree completely with the first couple of lines, sums up my feelings on the summer perfectly. Well put.

A record signing, - yes good signing

an England U21, - so is JWP, not necessarily a starter though

a Danish international from Bayern's youth team, excellent signing

and finally a half decent reserve keeper , agreed

Disgraceful.

Not Disgraceful, but disappointing to leave us weak in CB options, no real DM, and limited goalscoring options, especially if Austin isn't utilised properly.

We march on.

:thumbup:

It sounds good when you omit the sales of our best midfielder and best two attackers doesn't it.

Sale of our best two attackers.....

But but but....http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56656-Pelle-Set-to-Leave-For-China-Telegraph&p=2338273#post2338273

It sounds good when you omit the sales of our best midfielder and best two attackers doesn't it.

I was responding to the suggestion that it was, "a pretty p*ss poor effort."

Nothing much we could do about the outgoings but I'm not sure how those signings could be described as "p*ss poor".

Incredible we haven't bought in a CB and DM - we have enough attacking players to make up the goals (maybe) but we have zero quality back up in defence.

After sitting through the dross of our first two home games this is going to be a tough season.

Either we couldn't get in who we wanted or leslie and friends have completely disappeared up their 'southampton way' a4seholes.

We march on.

Also my feelings in a nut shell. If we had a guaranteed goal scorer I'd feel better but for the first time in Many seasons I find my faith in the squads ability wavering. Let's see what the next few games bring.

I was responding to the suggestion that it was, "a pretty p*ss poor effort."

Nothing much we could do about the outgoings but I'm not sure how those signings could be described as "p*ss poor".

Spending £16m on player is now the norm.

More so when championship clubs are pretty much doing it

The fact that it broke our transfer record is just part of that process

£16m is now our Redmond/long pitch. Boufel is just better. He wouldn't have cost £16m had we bought in in 12 months.

Is that in response to me? Your post doesn't really make sense and you haven't quoted me, so hard to tell.

I thought it was fairly obvious that he was replying to you really. Could you really not see that? How odd.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

There is a nice post script to the Sissoko to Spurs story in that there are quotes from last year of him describing Arsenal as "the team of my heart" and drooling over Henry and Petit and Vieira and Steve Morrow*.

All over Twitter now of course. It's a story that keeps on giving.

*He might not have mentioned Steve Morrow. It might have been Chris Kiwomya.

Did we break our record yesterday, signing a potential superstar? only, I'm pretty sure we did. Try googling Boufal and seeing the calibre of club chasing him. Consider that Chelsea came in last week and tried to nab him, but that he chose us.

If we had delayed the announcement until 22:59 today, would everyone be excited right now?

Personally, I think the top 3 signings we have made, Redmond, Hojberg, Boufal - are absolute high grade quality. Once Long and Austin hit form, we'll be golden.

Just be thankful we haven't spent >60m on Bolasie and Sissoko, now that is some crazy **** right there... (If koeman left because we didn't want to spend 30m on sissoko, I think we made a lucky escape)

I'm with you. It's been a pretty decent window for us, and Fonte and Rodriguez stay with us, despite the media frenzy insisting that they would not.

It hasn't been a decent window for us. Fonte's behaviour and situation alone have been poor.

Why? What has he done? He's in Portugal and seems happy enough:

José Fonte

4 hrs ·

Honra enorme!!!Obrigado Cidade do Porto

Immensely honoured!!!Thank you city of Porto

Thank you #portugal #ihaveadream Still going!!!CHAAAAMPS

We march on.

Agree. It's been another ho hum final closing day with ridiculous amounts spent over the past few weeks. Think we have spent OK but the dearth of a recognised goal-scorer could come back to haunt us. Holding on to JRod was good but it seemed to be on the basis of his goal scored last weekend. Even he would admit that probably should have been saved. Look at his body language. Also, Boufal looks like a future signing rather than one for the moment. He's not due to play for several weeks, which could turn into months. Let's hope that the "horse hasn't bolted" by then.

I'd have been more concerned had we rushed around trying to over pay for people last day, just throwing money at it with seemingly no plan .

From where I'm sitting we've had a plan and stuck to it.

Austin-Pelle

Boufall-Mane

Redmond-Juanmi

Hojberg - big Vic

We've also signed lots of extensions for key men .

What's all the moaning about?

We need at least one of Rodriguez or Austin to come up trumps over the next few weeks given that Boufal unlikely to be available at full fitness for a while. Otherwise goals look hard to come by without Mane and Pelle.

We also need Puel to put the team out in a way that suits our players. Will be interesting to see how long we persist with current formation.