Transfer Deadline Day Thread

Ivan Katalinic's 'tache

I'm starting to wish the bloody football season had never started.....we really do have a handful (and thankfully it is only a handful) of complete and utter W**kers on this forum. Complain,complain,complain,*****,*****,*****.....if all you can do is moan and ***** about everything the club does then do us all a favour and f*ck off and support Pompey.

We seem to have more ambitions off the field than on it. Making a profit seems to be more important than winning something or finishing top 6 again.

We are far weaker now than we were in May but hey ho we have made a tidy transfer profit

You get a lot of stick for saying these things out loud but many on here probably agree with you but prefer to stay silent and on the safe side of fan opinion. I have never doubted what you say here it IS the Southampton Way!

Putting the big boys to one side, it strikes me that Stoke City have had the most impressive transfer window of the 'also rans'. Everton probably the most disappointing (for them) but that's what happens when you tell everyone your budget.

[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So linking this thumbs up with what the previous guy commented and your post on the other thread... are you saying we are signing one more player and it's a £20m plus signing? Or have I got this confused?

So linking this thumbs up with what the previous guy commented and your post on the other thread... are you saying we are signing one more player and it's a £20m plus signing? Or have I got this confused?

Doesn't really gel with other ITK's. We heard there might be a £10m signing.

Doesn't really gel with other ITK's. We heard there might be a £10m signing.

I can't see it at all, but just seemed interesting he gave the thumbs up to Batman asking if the £20m thing was Saints related.

Fully expect a loan RB signing and Martina to leave.

I can't see it at all, but just seemed interesting he gave the thumbs up to Batman asking if the £20m thing was Saints related.

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. I'm curious to see what happens to Berahino later...

What is the point of loaning a RB and letting Cuco go??

You get a lot of stick for saying these things out loud but many on here probably agree with you but prefer to stay silent and on the safe side of fan opinion. I have never doubted what you say here it IS the Southampton Way!

It's easier to insult me than to criticise the club. I get that and some people find it hard to express themselves. I don't retaliate and will mostly ignore insults thrown at me as I know it's not really me they are angry with.

We are all Saints fans here and all want the club to succeed on the pitch - we just express ourselves in different ways and that is fine. I don't critise other posters

I guess because the back up got injured and is out for numerous months, so rather than sign a permanent RB and have 3 when Pied is back fit, they'd rather loan one for the season and go back to two next year.

FWIW I'd personally rather just keep Martina.

he's worth about £250k and they are offering £2.5m....

i don't really care if he stays or goes - would prefer us to play a member of the youth team (Valery) over getting someone else in on loan though.

I guess because the back up got injured and is out for numerous months, so rather than sign a permanent RB and have 3 when Pied is back fit, they'd rather loan one for the season and go back to two next year.

FWIW I'd personally rather just keep Martina.

How long do you think Martina has left on his contract?

Definitely look weaker than may, but not a lot weaker. Some of that doll depend if we get good slong or **** slong.

Slightly contradictory but...

The main ones to leave are, and their replacements going by what some say.....

Pelle > Austin

Mane > Boufal (and I would say the return of JRod)

Wanyama > Hojbjerg

Juanmi > Redmond

Austin hasn't been given a chance really. Boufal of course is unknown and JRod might be pivotal IF he can play like he did. Hojbjerg is probably technically better but of course not the physical presence. Given the choice, who would you have, Wanyama or Hojbjerg? And Redmond, what ever anyone says, is an upgrade on Juanmi.

PS - I suspect that if we had 6 or more points in the bag, then people would be saying how wonderful our transfer business had been.

Edited by angelman

Slightly contradictory but...

The main ones to leave are, and their replacements going by what some say.....

Pelle > Austin

Mane > Boufal (and I would say the return of JRod)

Wanyama > Hojbjerg

Juanmi > Redmond

Austin hasn't been given a chance really. Boufal of course is unknown and JRod might be pivotal IF he can play like he did. Hojbjerg is probably technically better but of course not the physical presence. Given the choice, who would you have, Wanyama or Hojbjerg? And Redmond, what ever anyone says, is an upgrade on Juanmi.

I would agree with that assessment, especially regarding Austin. His movement in the first half of the Sunderland game decent but frustrating; as in he was finding good space, but being over eager and jumping the gun with his runs, thereby getting caught offside... a lot!

In the second half he was pretty anonymous though, hopefully with more and more competitive game time he can recapture that eye for goal he had at QPR. Has to be playing strictly centrally though as he is like a fish up a tree out wide, which could be an issue given Puel's system requires width from the strikers. Should think he's a smart enough manager to at least tinker with his formation to a player's strengths though!

How long do you think Martina has left on his contract?

A year, only signed a two year deal.

Incidentally, there was an article referenced on here earlier which said the club view the £2.5m offer for Martina as a great piece of business (for us) for a player who Puel doesn't think fits his system. I think the article was written by Adam Leitch - I can't recall, someone will.

Ultimately, whilst Martina is a known entity, our backup RB is not worth stressing out over too much (not that I'm suggesting that you are).

Edit: that'll learn me for not reading the post you were replying to, I.e. you're suggesting Martina's contract satisfies our requirement (an RB for a season only). D'oh.

Edited by Donatello

A year, only signed a two year deal.

Incidentally, there was an article referenced on here earlier which said the club view the £2.5m offer for Martina as a great piece of business (for us) for a player who Puel doesn't think fits his system. I think the article was written by Adam Leitch - I can't recall, someone will.

Ultimately, whilst Martina is a known entity, our backup RB is not worth stressing out over too much (not that I'm suggesting that you are).

Exactly my point - 1 year left - which would be the same length as getting in a loan for a year. Cuco's wages probably are not that much. Agree too that the £2.5m would be good business. But...getting in a loan. Unknown quantity. Fees involved and maybe, maybe not higher wages. I don't know what loan fees generally are, but if it is anything more than £1m then I would have to question whether it would be worth selling, as that £2.5m doesn't look so good. If it got near £1.5m then really no point.

I'm starting to wish the bloody football season had never started.....we really do have a handful (and thankfully it is only a handful) of complete and utter W**kers on this forum. Complain,complain,complain,*****,*****,*****.....if all you can do is moan and ***** about everything the club does then do us all a favour and f*ck off and support Pompey.

Stop moaning FFS!!

:)

Weren't we linked with Rico Henry this summer? Gone to Brentford.

I still think our business is done this window. I'd like us to bring in Haller to offer something else up front but can't see it.

I wait to be surprised though...

Stoke doing well today.

Everyone has an opinion, some I agree with and others I don't.

For me, if we sign no one else, do I expect us to be top 8 at the end of the season? Based on the performances so far (not results.), I don't think we will. This is just based on other teams - managers, current squads and players coming in. Whilst we have the Europa league to consider plus to be honest if our performances and results do improve, I don't believe it will be in the next couple of games.

I hope I'm wrong, but personally I think the is the season where we go back a step in terms of league position.

As things stand my view is we have a weaker squad than we had at the end of last season and that is disappointing with our added playing commitments. Not criticising our signings as they all seem young and promising but they do not enhance us when we take into consideration the quality of those who left.

As things stand my view is we have a weaker squad than we had at the end of last season and that is disappointing with our added playing commitments. Not criticising our signings as they all seem young and promising but they do not enhance us when we take into consideration the quality of those who left.

This!

I have been consistent in saying we should wait until the end of the window - with it appearing our business is done then I have to agree with FF. We do have a weaker squad and it is disappointing.

about sums it up, Duncan. I'd really hoped for a bit more activity....

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1/saison_id/2016

If estimated market value is indicative of anything, we're currently a top-mid side on paper. But let's face it, a great deal of the success of a squad is down to team cohesion and I'm not convinced that making too many changes is conducive to that. Those around us are certainly making a LOT of changes in personnel. We also have a relatively young squad which may help with the stamina required of playing the extra European games.

Yep. Spot on.

Seems people now consider Pelle and Juanmi to have been the greatest strikers we've ever had. Then Vic who was not in the right frame of mind for 3 or 4 games and banned for 9. Plus people thinking Boufal isn't going to be any where near Mane - bit premature isn't it?

Seems people now consider Pelle and Juanmi to have been the greatest strikers we've ever had. Then Vic who was not in the right frame of mind for 3 or 4 games and banned for 9. Plus people thinking Boufal isn't going to be any where near Mane - bit premature isn't it?

What's premature? To give a verdict of the summer transfer window at the end of the window?

Agreed. We've had a great chance to show some real ambition after the brilliant end of season run to 6th but it just hasn't happened. Hope I'm wrong but I fear a number of clubs have overtaken us.

It's easier to insult me than to criticise the club. I get that and some people find it hard to express themselves. I don't retaliate and will mostly ignore insults thrown at me as I know it's not really me they are angry with.

We are all Saints fans here and all want the club to succeed on the pitch - we just express ourselves in different ways and that is fine. I don't critise other posters

Perhaps there is a slight, but identifiable, difference between being a "Fan" and being a "Supporter"?

A fan (derived from fanatic, obviously) being filled with passion for their club, but maybe at the expense of perspective/being objective; and a supporter being more forgiving of any mistakes (perceived and actual) the club makes, but maybe not as emotionally committed?

(See also, the difference between those of us who need to be avoided for just an hour after a loss on match days, and those of us who are miserable all week!!)

Dunno, maybe it's merely semantics (or maybe one is "better" than the other!?), but it is sort of pointless short-hand I like to bandy about a bit in my head and see if it works. Probably doesn't but there you go.

Agreed. We've had a great chance to show some real ambition after the brilliant end of season run to 6th but it just hasn't happened. Hope I'm wrong but I fear a number of clubs have overtaken us.

So breaking our own transfer fee record isn't ambition? If not, what is?