One in... One out - Why is that an issue?

Matthew Le God

Boufal - Mané

Højbjerg - Wanyama

Redmond - Juanmi

McCarthy - Stekelenburg

Taylor - Davis

Austin* - Pellè

Pied** - Martina

Some Saints fans claim "all we are doing is replacing", but... you are only allowed 25 senior players. What is the alternative to replacing players one in, one out when you can't use senior player 26 or 27?

Why are people so quick to dismiss the possibility that for example Boufal, Redmond & Højbjerg may be improvements. Seems extremely premature to rule that out so soon after they've arrived.

People also say "upgrade Yoshida and/or Gardos. But is that really that easy to do? Centre backs unlike other positions are less likely to have rotation, you would want van Dijk and Fonte playing 90 minutes. It is therefore difficult to attract a better player than two internationals like Yoshida/Gardos who would be happy to play second fiddle to van Dijk and Fonte. Grades was back in training before the Man Utd game and is 4th choice, with multiple promising young academy centre backs below him.

* the club told Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph that Austin signing was pre-empting Pellè's departure

** injured so Martina possibly staying

If I was being pedantic I'd say McCarthy was replacing Gazza as Stek was only ever cover for Fraser's injury but I largely agree with your post.

A few people seemed to think that we'd replace everyone we sold and 'strengthen' with 3 or 4 others. That was never going to happen.

Boufal - Mané

Højbjerg - Wanyama

Redmond - Juanmi

McCarthy - Stekelenburg

Taylor - Davis

Austin* - Pellè

Pied** - Martina

Some Saints fans claim "all we are doing is replacing", but... you are only allowed 25 senior players. What is the alternative to replacing players one in, one out when you can't use senior player 26 or 27?

Why are people so quick to dismiss the possibility that for example Boufal, Redmond & Højbjerg may be improvements. Seems extremely premature to rule that out so soon after they've arrived.

People also say "upgrade Yoshida and/or Gardos. But is that really that easy to do? Centre backs unlike other positions are less likely to have rotation, you would want van Dijk and Fonte playing 90 minutes. It is therefore difficult to attract a better player than two internationals like Yoshida/Gardos who would be happy to play second fiddle to van Dijk and Fonte. Grades was back in training before the Man Utd game and is 4th choice, with multiple promising young academy centre backs below him.

* the club told Jeremy Wilson in the Telegraph that Austin signing was pre-empting Pellè's departure

I guess the question is - would you swap Pelle, Mane and Wanyama from last season, for Redmond, Boufal and Hojbjerg?

I guess the question is - would you swap Pelle, Mane and Wanyama from last season, for Redmond, Boufal and Hojbjerg?

We were not going to get ready made replacements, a like for like. We will improve the players we signed as we have to most of the players we've signed over recent seasons.

It's the same old assumption that for e.g, the Redmond we saw at Norwich is the maximum of his actual ability. The amount of stick Pelle used to get on here ''He's holding us back'' ''We're not going forward with him in the side'' - and now he's gone, he's being predictably used as a stick to beat the club with (that's not directed at you at all, but some others are saying as much). Hypocritical to the extreme, just to try and make their points valid from 2 years ago.

I'm pretty sure we ''built' the squad up last year to cope with, what we expected, was going to be a run in Europe. The key point is that the number of players we have in the squad hasn't reduced.

For me I would have liked to see us upgrade on some players not simply replace those who have left. With a minimum of £20m left in the bank based on net spend (assuming increased wages took care of the TV money increase) surely we could have improved the overall quality of the team e.g. one of Cedric / Davis / Tadic / Long etc. All of whom are good on their day but aren't top draw players or perform at top level consistently enough for us to seriously progress beyond where we are now

And before you ask I don't have access to the scouts list (sorry black box) so am not going to suggest names

Boufal - Mané

Højbjerg - Wanyama

Redmond - Juanmi

McCarthy - Stekelenburg

Taylor - Davis

Austin* - Pellè

Pied** - Martina

Does not compute

For me I would have liked to see us upgrade on some players not simply replace those who have left. With a minimum of £20m left in the bank based on net spend (assuming increased wages took care of the TV money increase) surely we could have improved the overall quality of the team e.g. one of Cedric / Davis / Tadic / Long etc. All of whom are good on their day but aren't top draw players or perform at top level consistently enough for us to seriously progress beyond where we are now

And before you ask I don't have access to the scouts list (sorry black box) so am not going to suggest names

We have improved on Kelvin and Juanmi. We tried to improve on Martina but Pied is now injured.

If we truly have found the cure for the ageing process then you can keep Pelle and I'll take Lambert from 3 years ago

Good post MLG. I've said before that ours fans have become spoiled and expect too much.

Most people also seem to completely ignore FFP and don't appreciate that we just cannot compete on wages regardless of whether we have the cash.

Personally I think squad wise we're about where we were pre summer. My concern is the system they're used in but that's another issue.

Good post MLG. I've said before that ours fans have become spoiled and expect too much.

Most people also seem to completely ignore FFP and don't appreciate that we just cannot compete on wages regardless of whether we have the cash.

Personally I think squad wise we're about where we were pre summer. My concern is the system they're used in but that's another issue.

why do our fans expect too much?

what are we expecting?

more of the expectation comes from the club. I have heard/read more about champions league from the club in the last 2 seasons than any individual on here

It's a lack of goals I'm worried about. Can Austin stay fit? He was here half of last season and managed one solitary goal. Jay Rod - may return to his previous form but you would be brave to bet on it. Redmond - managed only 6 last year. Long - guaranteed to get you between 5 and 10.

After flogging our two top scorers I think we should have brought in someone who you know can score in the Prem. Would love to be proved wrong tho.

It's not really expecting is it? It was more a hope that we would push on with ambition to build a squad capable of cracking the top six on a regular basis. I'm not sure this was ever realistic but it didn't stop the hope, that's what fans do. Most fans are underwhelmed by the window and its understandable why hence the negative posts. Hopefully Saints will prove us all wrong yet again.

I must admit, I just don't understand FFP, how is it that we can't compete on wages but teams like Palace can lure Benteke and Remy? I'm not trying to cause an argument, genuinely interested to know.

Boufal - Mané

Højbjerg - Wanyama

Redmond - Juanmi

McCarthy - Stekelenburg

Taylor - Davis

Austin* - Pellè

Pied** - Martina

There's room in the squad for a couple more first team contenders, especially if you ship out the likes of Isgrove who is now 23 and unlikely to suddenly make the grade. For me, I'd have liked to see us hedge our bets a little - if you have a player as important to the team as Mane or Wanyama and you sell them for a large sum of money, surely it's safer to spread the risk and buy one or two players who might be able to fill that role rather than trusting that your scouting of a single player will work out. This seems especially true when you're recruiting at around the £10m mark as we do, where we could easily afford both the fee and the wages (anyone who cites FFP here clearly doesn't appreciate quite how much we've increased our non-tv income this year compared to previous years).

We won't know the answer to that until the end of this season. The new intake might end up being better than those that have left, or they might end up being worse.

redmond would have been a decent sub in the main last season

now he is our star striker

That's due to the manager, not the squad. If we were playing a 433/4231 then we would be fine with Austin, Long and a fit again Rodriguez

Once the diamond has been binned we will be fine up front

That's due to the manager, not the squad. If we were playing a 433/4231 then we would be fine with Austin, Long and a fit again Rodriguez

in any formation, he would have been a handy sub last year. No matter how it is sliced

It's not really expecting is it? It was more a hope that we would push on with ambition to build a squad capable of cracking the top six on a regular basis. I'm not sure this was ever realistic but it didn't stop the hope, that's what fans do. Most fans are underwhelmed by the window and its understandable why hence the negative posts. Hopefully Saints will prove us all wrong yet again.

I must admit, I just don't understand FFP, how is it that we can't compete on wages but teams like Palace can lure Benteke and Remy? I'm not trying to cause an argument, genuinely interested to know.

With the extra millions we can indeed spend loads more on wages and as its all legit income the FFP ceiling is comfortably above where it was and teams are unlikely to hit it, the issue is that once we break the wage structure we probably have to pay the rest something similar, and that's what we can't afford.

It's a lack of goals I'm worried about. Can Austin stay fit? He was here half of last season and managed one solitary goal. Jay Rod - may return to his previous form but you would be brave to bet on it. Redmond - managed only 6 last year. Long - guaranteed to get you between 5 and 10.

After flogging our two top scorers I think we should have brought in someone who you know can score in the Prem. Would love to be proved wrong tho.

6 goals each from Austin, J Rod, Boufal and Redmond will match the contribution of Pelle, Mané, Austin and Juanmi last season.

Don't think it'll be that hard.

Running a football club is like riding a bike... It is hard to maintain balance while standing still.

For me we have not even stood still, we have regressed. Players in vs players out we are weaker (IMHO)

Our marquee summer signing is injured and the winger we signed is now our super star striker. We have appointed a manager who has only ever managed in the French league and he has changed the formation that has proven so successful in the premiership. I used to complain about Mopos lack of plan B but worried Puel doesn't really have a Plan A!? Puel is also extremely boring

What started as huge excitement for our biggest season in decades has been replaced with disappointment and zero expectation.

We won't finish top 6, we won't win any domestic cups and we won't go far in Europe (all IMHO)

why do our fans expect too much?

what are we expecting?

What? I cannot believe I've got to waste my last post replying to such daft questions.

Just read the ****e posted on here by the likes of you, heisenmoan and others. There's the expectation that we buy all sorts of players. I've read all sorts of posts saying that we have tried harder to get Bony, Chambers and all sorts. Why? Who says we haven't? Who says we can afford their wages? Who says they'd come here? How do fit more than 25 players in a 25 man squad?

The bottom line is that we've replaced each departure. That's a fact. What's to say that the new boys aren't an upgrade? Boufal is rated highly and may be an upgrade on mane. Redmond will produce more than Juanmi. Hjolberg looks class and will use the ball better than Wagamama and spend less time banned.

Looking at MLG's list please tell me how the squad is weaker. Also tell me which new player is worse than the player he replaced.

In short, stop whining, think before you type and get behind the team ffs.

With the extra millions we can indeed spend loads more on wages and as its all legit income the FFP ceiling is comfortably above where it was and teams are unlikely to hit it, the issue is that once we break the wage structure we probably have to pay the rest something similar, and that's what we can't afford.

Ok, understood. Why is it that other clubs of similar statute are able to do it though? I suppose it comes from us having a squad which, whilst it lacks stand out stars, it is generally of a pretty good quality whereas other clubs may have a more pronounced difference in quality amongst their squads.

Running a football club is like riding a bike... It is hard to maintain balance while standing still.

For me we have not even stood still, we have regressed. Players in vs players out we are weaker (IMHO)

Our marquee summer signing is injured and the winger we signed is now our super star striker. We have appointed a manager who has only ever managed in the French league and he has changed the formation that has proven so successful in the premiership. I used to complain about Mopos lack of plan B but worried Puel doesn't really have a Plan A!?

What started as huge excitement for our biggest season in decades has been replaced with disappointment and zero expectation.

We won't finish top 6, we won't win any domestic cups and we won't go far in Europe (all IMHO)

F#ck off and support somebody else then. If not, get behind the team. It is what it is!

What? I cannot believe I've got to waste my last post replying to such daft questions.

Just read the ****e posted on here by the likes of you, heisenmoan and others. There's the expectation that we buy all sorts of players. I've read all sorts of posts saying that we have tried harder to get Bony, Chambers and all sorts. Why? Who says we haven't? Who says we can afford their wages? Who says they'd come here? How do fit more than 25 players in a 25 man squad?

The bottom line is that we've replaced each departure. That's a fact. What's to say that the new boys aren't an upgrade? Boufal is rated highly and may be an upgrade on mane. Redmond will produce more than Juanmi. Hjolberg looks class and will use the ball better than Wagamama and spend less time banned.

Looking at MLG's list please tell me how the squad is weaker. Also tell me which new player is worse than the player he replaced.

In short, stop whining, think before you type and get behind the team ffs.

what is my expectations?

why have you decided I want it all now?

I want us to buy premiership proven quality. that is utterly dismissed. Yet all of our rivals are now doing it

and maybe stop selling 3-5 players in the summer and not have a negative net spend

I fully expect it to be no different next season. I will be amazed if VvD is a saint in 12 months. Throw in Forster, maybe even Hojbjerg

ffs, Mane was sold for a very similar price to that of a player in the championship. jesus wept

that does not mean doing a pompey or wasting money on no-marks

Edited by Batman

There's also a pretty wild assumption that not a single youth player will progress this year. I think we have some promising kids and the likes of Stephens, Reed will be getting some game time for sure. They can't go anywhere now (well, unless there's a late move). There aren't anymore loan windows in the football league, so they're bound to windows like the rest of us.

There's also a pretty wild assumption that not a single youth player will progress this year. I think we have some promising kids and the likes of Stephens, Reed will be getting some game time for sure. They can't go anywhere now (well, unless there's a late move). There aren't anymore loan windows in the football league, so they're bound to windows like the rest of us.

That is, largely, down to the fact that not one youth player even so much as made the bench last year. It's been a while since we've had someone come through so would be nice to think that Stephens or Reed could break through. Of all the youngsters, Reed looks the most promising given he played a few good games when we were gunning for 4th a couple of years ago.

We don't have 25 senior players (senior players are those who are 21 or over on 1 January). By my reckoning we have 23.

The problem really though is not quantity but quality. None of the listed outfield players are better quality in the positions that their counterpart departed players played. Certainly the jury has to remain out on Boufal, he may prove to be the exception. Hojbjerg is quality, but he is clearly not a replacement for Wanyama. Even if all the players are at least as good as those they have replaced this is still only a strategy for standing still. Our strategy should be to improve.

Biggest problem is that we have replaced Koeman and Koeman with Puel and Black.

That is, largely, down to the fact that not one youth player even so much as made the bench last year. It's been a while since we've had someone come through so would be nice to think that Stephens or Reed could break through. Of all the youngsters, Reed looks the most promising given he played a few good games when we were gunning for 4th a couple of years ago.

A few of the most promising kids went out on loan last year, but that can't happen now - so I'd expect a few more games (and this is arguably something a lot of people were calling for Koeman to do anyway). Reed is arguably, alongside Romeu, the only tough tacklers we have.

A few of the most promising kids went out on loan last year, but that can't happen now - so I'd expect a few more games (and this is arguably something a lot of people were calling for Koeman to do anyway). Reed is arguably, alongside Romeu, the only tough tacklers we have.

It's a big ask for youngsters that were on loan at League One and League Two clubs to step up and play in the Premier League though.

redmond would have been a decent sub in the main last season

now he is our star striker

You thought Mane was a waste of money and hated Pelle....

Now they are gone they are footballing gods.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Did you actually watch the last game and the positions that Austin was taking up?

If you had, you would have noticed that the front three (Redmond, Tadic, Austin) were not spread equally across the pitch. Redmond was taking up a far wider position on the left (when he wasn't rotating) than either Austin or Tadic was on the right. By contrast, Austin when he wasn't occupying Tadic's position was much more tucked in. I assume this was by design in order to play to his strengths.

There are weaknesses with the diamond; but equally there is a lot of horse**** that is fasting becoming the stuff of caricature.

[quote=egg;2393898

In short, stop whining, think before you type and get behind the team ffs.Please let me know who is going to replace the loss of 22 goals?

I'm all for getting behind the team, but having apologists for the clubs constant lack of ambition( that doesn't match their statements) lets the club off IMHO

Boufal - Mané

Højbjerg - Wanyama

Redmond - Juanmi

McCarthy - Stekelenburg

Taylor - Davis

Austin* - Pellè

Pied** - Martina

You, more so than any other poster on here, should know that the list below is our named '25 man squad' for the second part of last season (i.e. from 01 Feb onwards):

01. Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo

02. Austin Charlie

03. Bertrand, Ryan

04. Clasie, Jordy

05. Davis, Kelvin Geoffery

06. Davis, Steven

07. Fonte, Jose Miguel

08. Forster, Fraser Gerard

09. Gardos, Florin

10. Gazzaniga, Paulo Dino

11. Isgrove, Lloyd Jeffrey

12. Jimenez Lopez, Juan Miguel

13. Long, Shane Patrick

14. Mane, Sadio

15. Martina, Rhu-endly Aurelio Jean-Carlo

16. Pelle, Graziano

17. Rodriguez, Jay Enriqus

18. Stekelenburg, Maarten

19. Tadic, Dusan

20. Van Dijk, Virgil

21. Vidal, Oriol Romeu

22. Wanyama, Victor

23. Yoshida, Maya

To make it easier for you, I have even numbered them. We had 23 players aged over 21 - 2 less than we could have had.

For the start of this season, if we hadn't sold or bought any players at all, we would need to add James Ward-Prowse - making it 24.

However, from that list we have lost (replacement, not on list, in brackets):

Davis Kelvin - (Taylor Stuart)

Gazzaniga Paulo

Jiminez Lopez - (Redmond Nathan)

Mane Sadio - (Boufal Sofiane)

Pelle Grazianno

Stekellenburg Maarten - (McCarthy Alex)

Wanyama Victor - (Hojbjerg Pierre)

So, 2 without replacement (from the nominated list of 25) takes us down to 22. Additionally, I believe Hojbjerg counts as an U21 this season - so that makes it 21.

21 Senior players - that leaves us room to sign more 4 more, or is my maths wrong?

Now, I am not saying that we should have signed another 4 players but we could have done before reaching your pointless player number 26.

As for those we have brought in in comparison to those they replaced, in my opinion overall they are lesser players. So, not only is our senior squad lesser (in terms of numbers of personnel) than the one we ended the previous season with but many of the players within it are also not (yet, at least) of a standard as those who have departed from it.

We had a perfect opportunity this summer, having finished 6th and qualified automatically for European group stages, to push on and improve our squad. Instead, it is now weaker than it was in May. That, for me and many others on here, is very disappointing!

You, more so than any other poster on here, should know that the list below is our named '25 man squad' for the second part of last season (i.e. from 01 Feb onwards):

02. Austin Charlie

03. Bertrand, Ryan

04. Clasie, Jordy

06. Davis, Steven

07. Fonte, Jose Miguel

09. Gardos, Florin

13. Long, Shane Patrick

14. Mane, Sadio

16. Pelle, Graziano

19. Tadic, Dusan

20. Van Dijk, Virgil

21. Vidal, Oriol Romeu

22. Wanyama, Victor

23. Yoshida, Maya

To make it easier for you, I have even numbered them. We had 23 players aged over 21 - 2 less than we could have had.

For the start of this season, if we hadn't sold or bought any players at all, we would need to add James Ward-Prowse - making it 24.

Gazzaniga Paulo

Pelle Grazianno

So, 2 without replacement (from the nominated list of 25) takes us down to 22. Additionally, I believe Hojbjerg counts as an U21 this season - so that makes it 21.

21 Senior players - that leaves us room to sign more 4 more, or is my maths wrong?

Now, I am not saying that we should have signed another 4 players but we could have done before reaching your pointless player number 26.

As for those we have brought in in comparison to those they replaced, in my opinion overall they are lesser players. So, not only is our senior squad lesser (in terms of numbers of personnel) than the one we ended the previous season with but many of the players within it are also not (yet, at least) of a standard as those who have departed from it.

We had a perfect opportunity this summer, having finished 6th and qualified automatically for European group stages, to push on and improve our squad. Instead, it is now weaker than it was in May. That, for me and many others on here, is very disappointing!

Post of the Day.

And thanks for so comprehensively blowing away MLGs PR bullshine...

02. Austin Charlie

03. Bertrand, Ryan

04. Clasie, Jordy

06. Davis, Steven

07. Fonte, Jose Miguel

09. Gardos, Florin

13. Long, Shane Patrick

14. Mane, Sadio

16. Pelle, Graziano

19. Tadic, Dusan

20. Van Dijk, Virgil

21. Vidal, Oriol Romeu

22. Wanyama, Victor

23. Yoshida, Maya

Gazzaniga Paulo

Pelle Grazianno

Agree, totally