Mark Halsey admits outside influences

Saint-Fred

Didn't he get into hot water about similar a few years back in a newspaper article or book.

Did he? Crikey..he said something along he lines of seeing an incident but being told to say he didn't see I t..the mirror have picked it up now so expect to see it back on the back pages!

Edited by Saint-Fred

Did he? Crikey..he said something along he lines of seeing an incident but being told to say he didn't see I t..the mirror have picked it up now so expect to see it back on the back pages!

he said something about the PGMOL or who ever they are putting pressure on refs to say there never saw an incident that is hot topic in the press so that the FA can take retrospective action.

the ref regarding Aguero apparently never witnessed him elbow the west ham player, despite being right there.

he said something about the PGMOL or who ever they are putting pressure on refs to say there never saw an incident that is hot topic in the press so that the FA can take retrospective action.

the ref regarding Aguero apparently never witnessed him elbow the west ham player, despite being right there.

I think the possibility of retrospective action is good...it's better than pretending it never happened ..despite the fact that millions of people saw it.. if not the ref.:blush:

.....just a bit like saying someone didn't commit an offence......just because there wasn't a policeman there to witness it.

Edited by david in sweden

Everything is made harder than it need to be these days it seems! Rather than just reffing the game they have to manage the politics and be managed by those managing the politics for their own means.. So does this mean we can call the refs a cheat legitimately?

Everything is made harder than it need to be these days it seems! Rather than just reffing the game they have to manage the politics and be managed by those managing the politics for their own means.. So does this mean we can call the refs a cheat legitimately?

dont think they cheat. If the ref makes a crap decision and it is blown up in the press, easier to say he never saw it rather than be seen is incompetent.

It is apparent that there are such small margins between winning and losing points in the Premier League, so referees' decisions can hugely influence the clubs positions.

Having seen Graham Poll as an after dinner speaker, and hearing about Halsey's comments, I would agree that referees definitely choose to bottle or not see many decisions that disrupt the status quo.

You can add to that the fact that players see the league as one big franchise to earn as much as possible from over about ten years.

Unless you watch top division football to appreciate the talents on show from both sides, it does get very frustrating. e.g. Lee Mason last week.

dont think they cheat. If the ref makes a crap decision and it is blown up in the press, easier to say he never saw it rather than be seen is incompetent.

There has been some blatant decisions that do make you wonder though? Remember the penalty for us given for Jose, I think it was, which clearly was outside the area? The Liverpool one we didn't get, some of those decision against Sunderland were just bizarre. It can't all be incompetence..perhaps they may have a brief about not upsetting certain teams perhaps? If they are influenced to say they didn't see something is it not possible they are influenced towards being biased for certain money making clubs?

I think the possibility of retrospective action is good...it's better than pretending it never happened ..despite the fact that millions of people saw it.. if not the ref.:blush:

.....just a bit like saying someone didn't commit an offence......just because there wasn't a policeman there to witness it.

Agreed they should get rid of the if the ref saw it and just do the right thing!

There has been some blatant decisions that do make you wonder though? Remember the penalty for us given for Jose, I think it was, which clearly was outside the area? The Liverpool one we didn't get, some of those decision against Sunderland were just bizarre. It can't all be incompetence..perhaps they may have a brief about not upsetting certain teams perhaps? If they are influenced to say they didn't see something is it not possible they are influenced towards being biased for certain money making clubs?

hard to argue. That game against Liverpool was just plain weird

Every time I read about refs being corrupt or being influenced by outside interests my mind goes back to a match against Leeds at St Mary's in our Division 1 days. We won the game 1-0 but the referee that day - Peter Walton - was an absolute disgrace. He was beyond bad, the worst refereeing I have seen in 40 years of watching Southampton. We only won because Leeds were so inept that day they couldn't take advantage of some of his decisions.

maybe not but it seems to be an admission that after the match there reports can be influenced, whats to say there not influenced before they take to the field as well. I know ive sat in the stands many times wondering what the hell the ref is doing

Every time I read about refs being corrupt or being influenced by outside interests my mind goes back to a match against Leeds at St Mary's in our Division 1 days. We won the game 1-0 but the referee that day - Peter Walton - was an absolute disgrace. He was beyond bad, the worst refereeing I have seen in 40 years of watching Southampton. We only won because Leeds were so inept that day they couldn't take advantage of some of his decisions.

Also, I remember the match against Brighton in the Championship where we won 3-0 but Peter Walton was the ref, that was just hilarious how bad he was. All the funnier given the opposition and manager at the time.

He's now in charge of the referees in the MLS :scared:

Edited by Pamplemousse

Also, I remember the match against Brighton in the Championship where we won 3-0 but Peter Walton was the ref, that was just hilarious how bad he was. All the funnier given the opposition and manager at the time.

Well, that certainly explains a few things over here.

Is this the game where our penalty area suddenly grew 4 feet so lambert could get the pen? :lol:

TBF, the rules are an ass. Halsey has said that he was asked to say that he hadn't seen something so retrospective action could be taken. Just change the rules so that retrospective action can be taken, even if the ref has seen it. With the benefit of video, anything and everything becomes a lot clearer than a split second in the heat of battle where the ref might only see something out of the corner of his eye.

I emailed the FA about that! He was absolutely awful.

The only time I've ever thought this was at half time last season against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The ref was so bad it just seemed obvious he was actively favouring Chelsea.

We won that one 3-1, and nearly everything he did in the second half favoured us. :o

I remember that game. Peter Walton wasn't corrupt, just inept. Gave a penalty against Fonte that was outside the area, and one when Lambert went down with minimal contact. But there were two penalties that he should have given for fouls against Lambert. Brighton were a nasty side that day, very much in the image of their manager.

Interestingly there was an international friendly this week when they trialled video refs. Got to come, but they need to work out when and how often it can be used. Anything to help refs get key decisions right has got to be a good thing.

Tbh the quality of the ref is irrelevant if you just keep on banging it in the net.

However the whole 'the ref saw it but took no action so we can't either' is utter tosh - foul play should be dealt with properly either during the game by the ref or after(depending on how bad it was of course) by the authorities. If should also then be properly reported so that everyone knows, and any punishments should properly reflect the severity of the incident and applied in a way that brings the lesson home to the player.

the whole video replay argument is dead - loads of sports around the world use video technology to back the ref up without it affecting the game. As far as I'm concerned, putting this in would just get rid of a lot of the Bulls!t behaviour we see every week. My favourite example being the utter ****spanner Rivaldo in the 2002 World Cup when the ball was kicked at him, hitting his leg and he went down clutching his face - I'd like to see a player try that with video technology in the game.

David Axcell - Arsenal 2 Southampton 2 Probably 1987 or around that time. Never forgot the refs name...... The game goes on until they equalize.

Beyond bizarre and still can't comprehend it.

I was there, all the way from NZ, and couldn't believe it when I think it was something like 9 minutes that was added. An appalling display of bias if ever I have seen it. Saints deserved to win that day but the ref had other ideas!

Yes - probably the only occasion I've seen where the referee was booed off by both sets of fans!

I have had to referee/lino at local level and, believe me, its not easy.

Suspect it is even harder at top level due to the speed of action

That said I am often out of my seat yelling at the ref and lino at Saints games

Yes indeed. Anybody who wants to criticise should try if first. Or as Steve Martin (and others) said:

'Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes.

That way, when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away and have his shoes.'

I have had to referee/lino at local level and, believe me, its not easy.

Suspect it is even harder at top level due to the speed of action

That said I am often out of my seat yelling at the ref and lino at Saints games

Which is why technology should be used. The referee got the decision right to disallow Walcott's 'goal' in last night's game, but more by luck than good judgement. No way did he see that the ball got to Walcott via an England foot. Teams should have a limited number of appeals to video ref, and so should the ref!

Is this the game where our penalty area suddenly grew 4 feet so lambert could get the pen? :lol:

Yup and a Brighton player was so incandescent at such a shocking decision he stopped just short of doing a Prutton, but still got himself sent off.

We use to sit that side of the Chapel pretty much in line with the edge of the box, when Walton pointed to the spot the rest of the ground erupted us sat with the perfect view just laughed in stunned disbelief.

Still wonky refs have been around for years, the ref who did the cup winners cup game v Anderlect, was rumbled after he retired, a game involving Forest was his undoing. Still the one refs action that still has me simmering was Mike (old mother) Riley sending off Franny at the Dell v Derby, Franny had trashed Sturridge I think it was, he was on a yellow already (believe it or not) so the inevitable was coming. Instead of doing Franny at the point of impact where the Derby player was still in a heap, he beckoned Franny towards him and kept walking backwards towards the Derby fans under the East stand, when he was close enough to them out popped the Red card for total effect.

I was there, all the way from NZ, and couldn't believe it when I think it was something like 9 minutes that was added. An appalling display of bias if ever I have seen it. Saints deserved to win that day but the ref had other ideas!

He also managed to miss Paul Davis breaking Glenn Cockerill's jaw with a punch.

Just remove any ambiguity. Take away this if the ref saw it carp and deal with it all. If Aguero elbows someone and the ref didn't see it / do anything, ban him. If the ref saw it gave a freekick, but no card or a yellow, overturn the decision post match and ban him. Simple.

Oldhamgate...

I'd like to add Steve Dunn's name to this thread. Worth putting in there for Shipperley's disallowed goal at OT alone in 96 - I've seen it loads of times and cannot see any infringement or even a hint of one where you could see where the ref might have made a genuine mistake. Even Fergie didn't know why it was disallowed.

He was shocking at every Saints game I saw including one of the early home games at SMS, where he sent off two players (Villa) and was so inept that he enraged both sets of fans. I think he then got into trouble IIRC for antics at one of the refs' 'away days'/workshops or equivalent.

Kettle V Wolves in our first Championship season lived up (or down) to his reputation of being the worst ref in the country although D'Urso must have run him close with his bloopers over the years, not least booking Barry Ferguson twice v Blackburn and not sending him off. Mind you, he made up for it seconds later with a staggering penalty award for Saints when Short 'fouled' Beattie.

I think we can add yesterday to this list

It's worth investigating as it clearly wasn't one of those 25/75 decisions that goes against you sometimes. He'd predetermined Arsenal would have a penalty. Judging by their shock, I doubt Arsenal were involved in any misconduct and it's hardly Wenger's style. The most likely factor, judging by his pathetic displays in prior Saints games that he's a **** ref who isn't good enough for parks football and is desperate to be noticed. The alternative is that he added 4 minutes from nowhere and gave a penalty on 94 so betting patterns globally on the game would be worth analysing. I think that would be way too obvious though, and still maintain it is competence and brown nosing rather than corruption.