Arsenal away build up thread

Pass the Dutchie

If we stick with the diamond, then I'd go with the following...

----------------Forster-----------------

Cedric----Fonte-----VVD----Bertrand

----------------Romeu------------------

-----------JWP--------Hojbjerg--------

-----------------Davis-------------------

Long--------------------------Redmond

To not play Tadic is madness. Must play instead of JWP.

Either we hit them on the counter attack, in which case I say take Clasie for Davis, or else try and set up with what attacking talent we have and see what happens. Preference is:

----------------Romeu-------------------

----------Clasie--------Hojbjerg--------

-----------------Tadic----------------------

-------Long---------------Redmond-----

Or

------------Hojbjerg-----Romeu---------

-Redmond--------Davis------------Tadic

---------------Long/Austin-----------------

Good, nothing against Targett but Bertrand is one of the best left backs in the league so great to have best players playing. Sounds like JRod is in for a start.

I really hope that you are right. During the pre-season home games against the Spanish, I wrote him off. Yet in his brief cameo at Old Trafford, I thought I saw glimpses of the Jay-Z of 2014, similarly against Sunderland (forgetting his soft goal). If he can re-discover his peak form, he will add so much to the squad, I would go as far as to say that he is the forward best suited to the diamond formation. I believe the club feels that he can do it. I am trying to be realistic, as few players are ever quite the same after such a debilitating injury (Shearer wasn't, for example), but if any player deserves a get out of jail card, it is Jay-Z.

another month for Boufel

ffs

On the bright side it'll give you another 4 weeks to learn how to spell his name. :o

Poor kid, by the time he debuts expectation levels will be that he'll be the second coming of Pele, Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo all rolled into one, and if we keep the current level of decent chance creation up we might need that too.

Really hoping for a miraculous 3 pts. Heard some negative grumblings today. I think 3 points would go a long way to cure that.

If they dont win a match soon the negative grumblings will get louder and louder, not just from players but supporters as well.

Presumably Kelvin in his new role is the man who will go to the board with the loaded gun if player unrest gets too bad ?

Really hoping for a miraculous 3 pts. Heard some negative grumblings today. I think 3 points would go a long way to cure that.

a couple of posters have stated that all is not well in the camp and that the players are buying into Puel's ways/set up etc

obviously, those snippets were shot down

If they dont win a match soon the negative grumblings will get louder and louder, not just from players but supporters as well.

Presumably Kelvin in his new role is the man who will go to the board with the loaded gun if player unrest gets too bad ?

Who said the negative grumblings were from players ? I saw no mention of players in any post. Could have been the tea lady for all we know.

Good to see we've gone from 'Heard some negative grumblings today' to Kelvin packing a loaded gun in a couple of posts.

Seems LeG has inadvertantly loaded a gun here by giving the paranoia merchants a snippet for their incessant negativity to feast on.

I've no doubt they'll make the most of it if we don't win at Arsenal as has been the case for 29 years now.

Makes me laugh, there are players biitching about stuff all the time even when we're winning, you just don't get to hear about it because it makes them look bad.

Couple of games without winning and suddenly there's "negativity"? I should bloody hope so!

Let's wait and see how the next few months go shall we? I'd expect us to lose at Arsenal usually anyway, and we're clearly at least one player in a key role (or a change of plan) short of being at our best anyway, so it'll take an absolutely gutless humping for it to be any kind of issue.

I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager. He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa). It's a clever move but will obv take some adjusting. He's doubled the sessions and I imagine he expects more from the players, esp the ones who need 5 chances to score 1 goal. 2 lapses in defending from players who aren't match fit have cost us 6points at home, along with rubbish finishing. That is the fault of the players. This is a transitional season for saints. As fans we cry out for long term success (a reminder of the last 7 seasons)...trying to keep players and managers etc If it takes one season to get it right and we enjoy a few decent cup runs, to have 4 seasons of building and top 8 finishes, i'm sure we'd all take that.

We need to get behind the team. We'll turn the corner soon!

That sir is a good post

I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager. He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa). It's a clever move but will obv take some adjusting. He's doubled the sessions and I imagine he expects more from the players, esp the ones who need 5 chances to score 1 goal. 2 lapses in defending from players who aren't match fit have cost us 6points at home, along with rubbish finishing. That is the fault of the players. This is a transitional season for saints. As fans we cry out for long term success (a reminder of the last 7 seasons)...trying to keep players and managers etc If it takes one season to get it right and we enjoy a few decent cup runs, to have 4 seasons of building and top 8 finishes, i'm sure we'd all take that.

giphy.gif

CP is a really really good manager. He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa). It's a clever move but will obv take some adjusting.

It'll be a clever move as long as everything clicks into place before we get into the 'thick and fast' bit :)

Oops.

Yep, good post. Winning games very quickly changes everything, for players and fans. Just can't see it starting this weekend unfortunately.

Roll on Thursday.

This is my thinking and it's a shame that more fans aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Just stood next to the team waiting for the train to London. Ward-Prowse shouted Play up Pompey when a Pompey train came in on another platform. Tw*t. Van Dijk was strutting about like an A lister.

What time train were they catching? I'll be at Waterloo coming in the opposite direction in just under an hour so might get to see them I guess.

Who said the negative grumblings were from players ? I saw no mention of players in any post. Could have been the tea lady for all we know.

Good to see we've gone from 'Heard some negative grumblings today' to Kelvin packing a loaded gun in a couple of posts.

Seems LeG has inadvertantly loaded a gun here by giving the paranoia merchants a snippet for their incessant negativity to feast on.

I've no doubt they'll make the most of it if we don't win at Arsenal as has been the case for 29 years now.

oh FFS, calm down dear, you honestly think that if they dont win against Arsenal or Swansea (most likely) that people wont start to get restless ?

Of course the players will, dont be so bloody naieve, they have been playing a system that has suited them and got results and now all of a sudden thats been thrown out the window....

I'm just asking the question about Kelvin, did you miss the bloody question mark? - he is liason between players and management yes ? Therefore it would be correct to say that IF there is unrest from the playing staff he would be the one to raise the subject with Les and co ?

sorry for fkin speaking on a forum Mr trousers :rolleyes:

seeing as how arsenal won't sit back and defend like both our home games and even to a degree man u, I think there will be chances aplenty for both sides. just a case of making 'em count, and with the exception of his pace, having to rely on long to finish his chances seems a fools errand. so I hope j rod's up to it and that fonte's head is in the right place for the first time this season. I think these two were the ones LeG alluded to earlier.

He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa). It's a clever move but will obv take some adjusting.

Not sure I agree with this as a concept. If we were worried about the squad's capability to deal with two games a week then we should have invested in more players. I want to be wrong but I can't see the diamond working moving forward, so let's say we're in the bottom third of the table and out of the Europa League come Christmas - will the fact that the players are at a peak of physical fitness be enough to save Puel from pressure?

Anyway fingers crossed tomorrow will be an improvement. I've never been more sure of a defeat before we smashed them last December, so anything could happen!

I really hope that you are right. During the pre-season home games against the Spanish, I wrote him off. Yet in his brief cameo at Old Trafford, I thought I saw glimpses of the Jay-Z of 2014, similarly against Sunderland (forgetting his soft goal). If he can re-discover his peak form, he will add so much to the squad, I would go as far as to say that he is the forward best suited to the diamond formation. I believe the club feels that he can do it. I am trying to be realistic, as few players are ever quite the same after such a debilitating injury (Shearer wasn't, for example), but if any player deserves a get out of jail card, it is Jay-Z.

The club would have loaned Jay out but for his late goal that saved our pre-season, so I hope they really do have confidence in him, because it is only playing that will bring Jay up towards his best. but I agree.

I don't think its anything to worry about. We could just do with a win sooner rather than later. CP is a really really good manager. He's trying to implement a formation that won't knacker the players out when the games come thick and fast (Europa).

I don't get this argument that we had to change the system due to all the extra matches. Last season we had 4 EL matches this year we only have 6 guaranteed.