Lawro

Trader

Lawro always predicts every match 1-0, 1-1, 2-0 or 2-1 right?

Tomorrow's match he predicts a 3-0 win for Arsenal.

I cannot ever remember him predicting such a scoreline before (I could be wrong).

Seems he has no faith in Saints this year, but that's not unusual.

Lawrenson's opinions are of such little value and little interest that I'm only surprised the BBC carried on paying him after they let the other dinosaur, the Scottish one, go into oblivion. The BBC has subtly insulted Lawrenson by pitching his football prediction skills against so-called celebrities who have little and usually no, football background, and even then these random people prove to be better at it than he is!

Lawrenson's opinions are of such little value and little interest that I'm only surprised the BBC carried on paying him after they let the other dinosaur, the Scottish one, go into oblivion. The BBC has subtly insulted Lawrenson by pitching his football prediction skills against so-called celebrities who have little and usually no, football background, and even then these random people prove to be better at it than he is!

He and Garth Crooks are probably tipping Forest to win every game in the Championship as recent European Cup winners, tbh.

Saints go 1 up against the run of play. Arsenal equalize in first half injury time then go on to knock on the door all second half, being like a scene from the Alamo, saints put up a tremendous rear guard battle with arsenal stealing the points in the 86th minute. - **** there goes the alarm clock.....

Based on our 17 PL games away to Arsenal in which we have never won, our current start and Arsenal's last game being a demolition of Watford would be baffling to think he would go for any other prediction....well maybe 2-0. Is this a new bolder Lawro?

Saints go 1 up against the run of play. Arsenal equalize in first half injury time then go on to knock on the door all second half, being like a scene from the Alamo, saints put up a tremendous rear guard battle with arsenal stealing the points in the 86th minute. - **** there goes the alarm clock.....

almost right.....except it was the 94th minute ......:x

Robert Madley, I presume?

• 4 months later...
Utter helmet, has us down to lose pretty much every week now. We'd be 17th if his predictions all rang true in reality. Still thinks Leicester are gonna win nearly every game too, even now. Him and Crooks are so bad it's untrue.

Please say we'll win Lawro please say we'll win. Lawro, please say we'll win. Please. Please Lawro. Please. Just say we'll win. Please Lawro. Please. Please.

Please say we'll win Lawro please say we'll win. Lawro, please say we'll win. Please. Please Lawro. Please. Just say we'll win. Please Lawro. Please. Please.

Yeah but as soon as he does that we normally go onto lose...

I don't really care but his justifications are usually bizarre

"insert team of choice hasn't lost a game in ten, scored thirty goals in the last five games and not conceded in eight games so they're due a loss."

Lawrenson and Crooks should be put out to pasture. I like Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas, and at a push Martin Keown. And Gabby Logan is much better looking than Lineker, who half the time seems to think he's a comedian.

Agreed, I remember when they first got Shearer and a couple of others in I wondered if we'd ever see a decent pundit again, but those three you mention have all been pretty good for MOTD standards.

Lawrenson and Crooks should be put out to pasture. I like Danny Murphy and Jermaine Jenas, and at a push Martin Keown. And Gabby Logan is much better looking than Lineker, who half the time seems to think he's a comedian.

Jermaine Jenas is excellent. Danny Murphy is always fair and generally talks a lot of sense, but can be fairly dull.

Can't disagree with this at all. Lineker has become an idiot and I'd rather Jenas , Shearer and Logan as a MoTD team - I barely watch it now as it does my head in.

Utter helmet, has us down to lose pretty much every week now. We'd be 17th if his predictions all rang true in reality. Still thinks Leicester are gonna win nearly every game too, even now. Him and Crooks are so bad it's untrue.

Merson going for a Swans win as well.

• 1 month later...

Noticed Lawrenson predicting another Saints' defeat this weekend after saying that Southampton are a 'difficult' team to predict. That looks like an admission that he often gets predictions wrong and this is his excuse. His approach seems to be to always go for the 'Big Club' so that he should benefit from the law of averages. In his assessment he mentions Harry Kane, who isn't playing but fails to mention Gabbiadini who is. The BBC call him their football 'expert' which I suppose is fair enough as he is one who follows the game and is employed by them, but there are plenty of other 'experts'. I like the idea of the prediction contest but it's a shame they don't pitch their expert against other football people so the competition could be more meaningful.

The telling indicator of his blind spot / obsession where we are concerned is the overall table position.

Depsite being 6th last season, his overall predictions have us 17th.

He has our position more wrong than any other team.

Tw*t...

Edited by alpine_saint

That's patronising. Logan is a better sports presenter than Lineker.

Noticed Lawrenson predicting another Saints' defeat this weekend after saying that Southampton are a 'difficult' team to predict. That looks like an admission that he often gets predictions wrong and this is his excuse. His approach seems to be to always go for the 'Big Club' so that he should benefit from the law of averages. In his assessment he mentions Harry Kane, who isn't playing but fails to mention Gabbiadini who is. The BBC call him their football 'expert' which I suppose is fair enough as he is one who follows the game and is employed by them, but there are plenty of other 'experts'. I like the idea of the prediction contest but it's a shame they don't pitch their expert against other football people so the competition could be more meaningful.

Jesus wept.

The telling indicator of his blind spot / obsession where we are concerned is the overall table position.

Tw*t...

His predictions are a Joke - if he had been right we would have only won 4 games and be tied in a relegation battle.

Whilst i can see us losing - us not scoring? Mental.

His predictions are on individual events not a string of events, for example he isn't predicting that we will lose six in a row rather it is six separate predictions that we will lose. I know very little on statistics but I know theses are completly different things. If he uses the due a loss thing for teams in the middle like us it stands to reason that if we hit a purple patch he may keep predicting us to lose.

Keeping a mental league table of Lawros predictions is mental and mathematically incorrect.

Tw*t...

I remember when we were in League One, Mark Lawrenson said we would choke promotion and Huddersfield would overtake us and we'd blow the play offs.

Then we were in the Championship and he said we would choke promotion and West Ham would overtake us and we'd blow the play offs.

Then when we did get promoted I remember him saying we were definitely relegated and he spent the run-in swooning over the "guts", "determination" and "passion" of Wigan Athletic who we were assured were staying up ahead of us (Final tally 36 points, down).

And since then at any given opportunity he talks down, slags off, berates, writes off and generally pours scorn on anything and everything every single person involved with the club ever says or does. In fact I have never seen him say anything positive about the club, ever.

Oh hang on. That wasn't Mark Lawrenson. It was somebody else. I wonder who?

His predictions are on individual events not a string of events, for example he isn't predicting that we will lose six in a row rather it is six separate predictions that we will lose. I know very little on statistics but I know theses are completly different things. If he uses the due a loss thing for teams in the middle like us it stands to reason that if we hit a purple patch he may keep predicting us to lose.

Keeping a mental league table of Lawros predictions is mental and mathematically incorrect.

All it means is he is wrong - repeatedly.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39270121 - scroll to the bottom and you can see the table.

People seriously read way too much into what he predicts. It really means very little.

I don't think many people read anything into his predictions but because he is set up as an 'expert' it's fun seeing how often he is wrong. Quite often, the non-football person predicting with him actually does better. Very much liked Alpine's calculation that overall Lawrenson's predictions would have Saints just above the relegation zone instead of in the top half. He might feel embarrassed at times but he still gets paid so I don't suppose he cares.

I remember when we were in League One, Mark Lawrenson said we would choke promotion and Huddersfield would overtake us and we'd blow the play offs.

Then we were in the Championship and he said we would choke promotion and West Ham would overtake us and we'd blow the play offs.

Then when we did get promoted I remember him saying we were definitely relegated and he spent the run-in swooning over the "guts", "determination" and "passion" of Wigan Athletic who we were assured were staying up ahead of us (Final tally 36 points, down).

And since then at any given opportunity he talks down, slags off, berates, writes off and generally pours scorn on anything and everything every single person involved with the club ever says or does. In fact I have never seen him say anything positive about the club, ever.

Lol!!

Was it Ben Dover?

Come on, give us a clue. Are chocolates involved?

I'm sure you've got a MOUNTAIN of clues to lead us to the answer...

Edited by 5string
hidden blocked word haha

VG. i put it down to temporary sugar rush