Arsenal 2-1 Saints - Post match

Batman

Missed most of the 2nd half but from what I have seen this season I am massively underwhelmed,deserved a draw today but can't see us achieving much in the league or Europa if it stays like this,hope I am wrong but I would take a top half finish right now

I know we are all partisan but how come the euros had by and large exceptional refereeing and we have such sh1te in the PL? I know they will pick the best of all countries so not complete mystery but the comparison in standards is stark. FWIW think linos tend to be very good at getting the offsides right esp considering how marginal and fast the game is.

ffs IMO long's finishing was just as sh*t the chubby ref's decisions. i mean he wasn't exactly clinical before but I think he's actually gotten way worse this season. koeman might've sent a rocket up in there and dropped him from the squad till he sorts his sh*t if he practically lost us a game like that, cause he did lose us the 3 points just as much as the c*nt ref did.

I seem to think Madley got some history with us from a couple of years back.

Sent off Ramirez and Fox in a 3-0 defeat at home vs Brom

how can he be mis-quoted when he said those words

okay. Mis-Interpret then.

Edited by Nolan

Not true. This research shows that keepers standing in the middle would on average save 33% of penalties.. As opposed to much lower odds if they dive one way.

http://www.gruenderszene.de/allgemein/goalies-stay-put-%E2%80%93-jacob-burak-explains-the-virtues-of-standing-still-in-business

It's not that simple though. Most penalties that go down the middle are where the keepers on the move already. Otherwise they would aim for a corner.

Darren, some years ago they did a scientific study of keepers waiting for the kick with Peter Shilton who believed he could wait. He never got near the ball. The ball goes so quick there is no real time to dive if the ball is already struck

Always said Shilton was a c*nt for experimenting during a world cup semi-final.

[h=1]Just want to say thank you for the support and also for every fan that came to the game today!No one more then me feels hard done by and disappointed,you can feel the same but not more then me!When Giroud asks me who gave the penalty away that says it all,if you haven't watched the game and come to criticise please save me that!

We will keep our heads up and eager to turn this bad fortune around.

Once again I appreciate the love.

#wemarchon[/h]

Giroud asked who gave the penalty away :lol:

ffs IMO long's finishing was just as sh*t the chubby ref's decisions. i mean he wasn't exactly clinical before but I think he's actually gotten way worse this season. koeman might've sent a rocket up in there and dropped him from the squad till he sorts his sh*t if he practically lost us a game like that, cause he did lose us the 3 points just as much as the c*nt ref did.

Koeman would drop Long? He kept Pelle in the side when he was playing far worse, until he got injured and was forced to play Long.

Koeman would drop Long? He kept Pelle in the side when he was playing far worse, until he got injured and was forced to play Long.

People re-writing managerial history again then. Let's not make out Koeman was faultless, because he came in for so much crap for not dropping Pelle mid-season last year, when we were a lot more pathetic than we are now (we haven't even been pathetic this season, let's be honest) he was blasted with an incredible amount of stick on here and in the stands around me. He was an amazing manager overall for us - no one will ever take that away from him, but let's not erase history in terms of how he used players.

People re-writing managerial history again then. Let's not make out Koeman was faultless, because he came in for so much crap for not dropping Pelle mid-season last year, when we were a lot more pathetic than we are now (we haven't even been pathetic this season, let's be honest) he was blasted with an incredible amount of stick on here and in the stands around me. He was an amazing manager overall for us - no one will ever take that away from him, but let's not erase history in terms of how he used players.

This.

Remember when he put a just back from injury Pelle straight back into the team in place of the in form Long?

I am more optimistic right now than I was this time last season.

:suspicious: not the same person then .... or are you ?

I think your both making the same point

A good performance at a tough place to go. Thought diamond formation looked good, with our midfield very effective, albeit Tadic lacking impact other than one superb free kick.

As someone who saw us get a point last season there, this was a far better performance. As others have said, the concern is a lack of a goal scorer, but for those trying to blame the manager I can't see what more he could have done today to prepare a good performance but be done by poor finishing, a freak overhead kick and a dubious penalty.

We need to back him, give him time and be fair in judging performances. This was a good one, and Saints fans that travelled felt robbed at the end.

This.

Remember when he put a just back from injury Pelle straight back into the team in place of the in form Long?

I am more optimistic right now than I was this time last season.

Jose's comments say it all on Madley. I can accept refs making mistakes like we all do but these weren't even 25/75 ones - Long foul and penalty - the ref is unfit to work in professional football. Halsey's comments last week were interesting. The refs association would do best by suspending him and then demoting him until they get to the bottom of what his thought processes were today. He also needs to get properly fit to conduct a game at this level.

Hopefully we don't ever get to be reffed by him again and the club could ban him from SMS and the club need to really put pressure on the premier league around that. Puel was far too timid in his comments but well done Jose, worth the fine to root out cheating.

Onto Saints. Good display, midfield and back four very good but the club need to look at whether there any free agent strikers we can bring in to give Long some competition. He worked hard and moved intelligently but that was Conference level finishing. MLT would probably help the midfielder sand forwards one to one with finishing coaching if asked. We need to try something different.

I know! I know! I remember koeman and his massive issues dropping pelle until he had no other choice. all I'm saying is based on what we learned about koeman, I can see him absolutely murdering shlong for losing us a game we could of won, a game against arsenal no less, at their own ground and he goes and misses a one on one and other pretty good chances that most other strikers would of buried.

I know! I know! I remember koeman and his massive issues dropping pelle until he had no other choice. all I'm saying is based on what we learned about koeman, I can see him absolutely murdering shlong for losing us a game we could of won, a game against arsenal no less, at their own ground and he goes and misses a one on one and other pretty good chances that most other strikers would of buried.

Personally I think a number are missing the point ,yes we can and rightly so blame the ref today but management have ignored the fact we sold quality clinical strikers with no suitable replacements whilst I hope am wrong ,I think the board have miss judge the situation

We played well today, definitely deserved at least a point and were disgustingly robbed of it by appalling refereeing. However I remain very concerned about our lack of fire power which was the main reason we didn't win. A good finisher instead of Long in our side and we win that 3-2 or at least draw 2-2.

Don't get why Shane is the villain of the game,he didn't come on until half way through.Ok he missed when he perhaps should have scored but he gets in position's to do that, he never hides and works his socks off. What did Rodriguez do? I would have liked to see Austin and Long start, that would have given Arsenal something to worry about.

To be fair to Long, he was actually on the end of chances, unlike his peers. If he had tucked in after the flick from Tadic it would have been goal of the month.

As a comparison, we were much much better this trip to The Emirates than we were last year. We are obviously bedding in a couple of new players and also adapting to a new system. We won't hit the heights of 6th this year due to the improvement of others, not necessarily us going backwards.

I went today thinking would get a tonking, left feeling robbed by a poor ref but pleased we are not far away from where we need to be.

Just back..my arsenal fan mates at the game with us thought they were fortunate and a draw would have been about right. Said they had chances but didn't test Forster at all..which thinking about it they are right I am not sure he had a save to make?

I thought we looked better today but always had a suspicion the diamond would perform better against the better sides.

Forster booking was harsh given we have goalies signalled a warning from the ref about 4-5 times before the ref even gives them a verbal warning at our place.

Penalty was just bizarre with a the head injury and not a lot of contact. Lols at the load of bookings during the incident..ref had just lost it completely.

Good strike for our goal but a bit of luck involved.

At times we ran the game totally but at times they seemed to walk through us..

OR my MOTM.

Personally I think a number are missing the point ,yes we can and rightly so blame the ref today but management have ignored the fact we sold quality clinical strikers with no suitable replacements whilst I hope am wrong ,I think the board have miss judge the situation

Clinical? Really?

How long did Pelle and Mane go without scoring? Or are you talking about Juanmi?

Thought it was a very good performance personally. Bit of sh*t refereeing, but we missed some decent chances, as did they.

This team will be okay this season and Boufal should add a very nice extra dimension if he's all he's made out to be. Wenger's teams are no mugs - they won't win the title I wouldn't think, but they'll be up there again.

Sent by my Canadian cousin in Toronto.

Decided to watch Arsenal vs Southampton, instead. My understanding of the game remains minimal, but I'd have to say that your boys were robbed by bad officiating.

Could it be that when baseball umpires become too blind to call balls and strikes, they send them over to referee Premier League Football!

When's the last time we had a last minute sickener like that? Can't remember. Absolutely gutting, but it was our best performance of the campaign so far. Fine margins and that.

I guess you weren't at Stockport in an uncovered stand in the piśsing rain or at P'boro when we conceded pens at the death, were you pal?

Went to the game today and have mixed feelings about the game.

I thought our possession and passing was neat and crisp but wirh no real product at the end of it.

I would give Romeu motm, thought he was solid in midfield. I also thought Rodriguez was playing ok and I'm not too sure why he was subbed at ht.

The penalty was an absolutute feckin traversty, despite the fact that that it was a soft foul I noticed before that tackle that Forster was trying to get the attention of the ref to make him aware that an Arsenal player had a head injury and I presume he thought that play had stopped, perhaps watching the highlights on Motd might shed more light on it but I was almost pitch level in the Arsenal end and thats how it looked to me. I was under the impression that the play should be immediately stopped if there is an obvious head injury, obviously most of the saints players were expecting that but Arse and the ref didn't or so it seemed.

Two worrying things are,

1. No good pussyfooting the ball about if it does not go in the net at the end of it or at least close, this combined with a total lack of fire power up front is a big concern. I would rather see route one football if it produces results to be honest.

2. Virgil and Fonte spent a lot of time bickering with eachother and their body language looked like they were both highly p*ssed off. Not sure what that was about but not too clever if both your central defenders are unhappy.

Oh and JWP as a game changing sub.................please!.

On a positive, we did'nt get tonked as I expected and for most part held our own, whether or not that means we are improving or Arsenal are just pants I dont know.

Edited by Saint Billy

I guess you weren't at Stockport in an uncovered stand in the piśsing rain or at P'boro when we conceded pens at the death, were you pal?

Remember being at Stockport for a midweek cup game when Egil Oestenstad scored in the last minute; right in front of us cold and wet away fans in an uncovered end.