This is Sparta! Build Up

Lighthouse

I agree, but McCarthy? Targett? Bertrands played one game so should be fine, and I'd much rather see Martina than Cedric nevermind McCarthy.

Bertrand has only just come back though, may be be wrong, but I think he's a shoe-in for a change. McCarthy as the GK by the way, he was apparentley given assurances he would play the cup games this year.

I value Premier League survival over the Europa League unfortunately :(

It's an understandable call. Personally, I'd like to see go out all guns blazing on Thursday night - imagine the feelgood we'd get from a win in Europe and the confidence we could kick on with to Swansea on Saturday. I run the boarding department in a school and am bringing 5 of my boarders down to watch it....COYR

Got to go with as strong a team as possible. Given everything else, Europe has to be a priority this season.

Is the correct answer. We've qualified for the group stages only for people to fanny arse about whining about squad rotation? Give me strength.

Go for it, go for it and go for it some more.

2-1 defeat

start well, crisp attacking play with good passing for the first 25 mins, then regress

redmond will play as a striker again with 2 recognised forwards on the bench and will do OK

followed by posts about it is all coming together

Assuming you meant to put this in the Arsenal post-match thread, no...?

McCarthy for Forster

Martina for Cedric

Højbjerg for Clasie

Austin for Rodriguez

Not disagreeing with you that this might be the case, but I'd have thought this was a game for Clasie to start given his experience in European competition, and keep Hojberg for the (now) 'must win' home match v Swansea.

Strongest team possible, surely.

We tried our hardest to get European qualification ... now some want to let the fringe players take the places. Not for me.

Not sure what our strongest team is, but Puel must select it.

This , take it seriously and play our strongest team on the day and when Sunday comes do the same again.

Need to get our season going.. 1st team please.. Get back to winning ways.. It's still very easily in season, no need for squad rotation/tiredness yet... We can do that later on, when we've already got though to the knockout stages :)

Disagree, think complete opposite. Group stage is the time to rotate a handful of players out so they'll be fresh for the Sunday. If we make the knockout then we can decide if we want to priortise it over whatever league position we are in. I'm also hoping at some point in this european experience there will be opportunity given for likes of Reed to get opportunity to impress.

Disagree, think complete opposite. Group stage is the time to rotate a handful of players out so they'll be fresh for the Sunday. If we make the knockout then we can decide if we want to priortise it over whatever league position we are in. I'm also hoping at some point in this european experience there will be opportunity given for likes of Reed to get opportunity to impress.

Maybe we should actually try and make the knockout stage.

Yes all about survival isn't it. So we can never take a cup seriously just in case?

We aren't going to go down. If we do at some point, this year, 5 years, 10 years, shouldn't we have had a crack at a cup while we were up there? Or do fans just cheer the p&l, frame that and put it on the wall?

Why so much fear? It's a sport, we aren't going to win the league, so why not go for the cup.

100% agree. No point in doing all the hard work in getting to the group stages and then not taking it seriously.

We won't go down, let's go for it. Let's go for it in all the cups. If not what is the point?

I'm really looking forward to Thursday, my first ever European game, what's not to like!

My bet is that we will take this game very seriously indeed and for one reason only, we won't get into Europe next season by any other route than winning this competition. No way we are going to make top six in the PL after the start we've had; with the all-seeing, all knowing Les talking up Champions League this is about the only chance we have of ever reaching such lofty heights.

I expect our strongest team to be put out to go all out for a win, no other result will please them that have to be obeyed!