This is Sparta! Build Up

Lighthouse

Not going to be able to make the round trip from Devon many weekends this season (certainly upto Christmas) with the majority on Sunday's. Not missing these though, Europa bundle bought for me and the 9 nine year old, who cares it's a school night (wife maybe, let's hope he behaves himself tomorrow!)

Out of work at 1615 and on the road, can't wait...

I think it's partly the fact that we are in a group with a guaranteed number of matches, as well as the school-night / finance thing. If this was a two-leg knock out I am sure we would have sold out.

I think it will still be high 20ks at least tonight though, won't it? Didn't the club take the Europa package off sale because it had "sold out"? Or did I imagine that?

I will be there, and I'm really looking forward to it, but there will be people who will prioritise the Inter match for "glamour" reasons and then there is the final home match v Be'er Sheva which may, or may not, be a dead rubber. If there's something riding on it then we should get a good crowd.

If we can make it through to the knock-out stages I would expect us to sell out every home game.

If Saints fans can't get excited about the first group game, at home, in the Europa then there's something wrong with them. I'm well looking forward to this. This is the night when everything clicks, we get a good 3-0 hammering of Sparta under our belts and we kick on, beat Swansea and move up the table.

Turning point of the season...

I have my signed shirt from the '03-'04 Europe adventure, the stripes with a plain back. I will wear in in Oz, as I watch from afar. COYR's

3am wake up isn't going to be a lot of fun in my current condition. And the dodgy internet stream will be a pain in the arse.

But damn me I'll still enjoy it.

We've sold about 25,500. So roughly 26k with Sparta fans. Then whatever pay on the day will take it up to.

i think it is a bit more than that, blocks 43 and 44 are already sold out to Saints fans in the bundle so we'll have the whole Northam full. The big gaps are in the family area, i think there is a good case to de-classify that for games like this and just let anyone buy there instead of having to have a junior with you.

I'm not one for criticizing but he does sound like a wet lettuce when he does interviews, doesn't inspire the greats confidence, hopping its because of the language barrier. COYR

Of course it's the language barrier. You try speaking to a bunch of journalists in a language you haven't tried speaking at any great length before.

The bloke's only been in the country a couple of months and is being lambasted left, right and centre by people who support the team he is managing!

Give him half a season at least to both learn the language and prove himself as our manager

Coyr

i think it is a bit more than that, blocks 43 and 44 are already sold out to Saints fans in the bundle so we'll have the whole Northam full. The big gaps are in the family area, i think there is a good case to de-classify that for games like this and just let anyone buy there instead of having to have a junior with you.

Didn't know that. Should be pushing 29k then.

If Saints fans can't get excited about the first group game, at home, in the Europa then there's something wrong with them. I'm well looking forward to this. This is the night when everything clicks, we get a good 3-0 hammering of Sparta under our belts and we kick on, beat Swansea and move up the table.

Turning point of the season...

Could well be. Come Sunday eve though and still no wins this season.... :facepalm:

Not going to be able to make the round trip from Devon many weekends this season (certainly upto Christmas) with the majority on Sunday's. Not missing these though, Europa bundle bought for me and the 9 nine year old, who cares it's a school night (wife maybe, let's hope he behaves himself tomorrow!)

Out of work at 1615 and on the road, can't wait...

same. I've got the bundle and will be traveling down from Bris for all of them if I can. Its a marked difference from JPT on a tuesday night and what was the point of all the nights since that one if our fanbase can't even turn out to enjoy one of the rewarding high points. Would be very disappointing for it not to be a sell out. It would also justify everyone who writes saints off as a provincial minnow; for any club worth its salt the european nights are what it is all about.

Of course it's the language barrier. You try speaking to a bunch of journalists in a language you haven't tried speaking at any great length before.

The bloke's only been in the country a couple of months and is being lambasted left, right and centre by people who support the team he is managing!

Give him half a season at least to both learn the language and prove himself as our manager

Coyr

Fully agree!

Closing down, off to get the train. The run back for the last train better be worth it!

The game will be called off at half time due to lightning storms, so you'll have plenty of time. (Unless the railway signalling system has come a cropper too of course...)

:)

a0ce8aeaf8c3c6945dfbb3215048f22c.jpg

A nice confidence boosting 4-0 would be great. 2 from Long and 2 from Austin

A clean sheet would also help our nervy defence just now

In The Times this morning Virgil has it all under control. There are only two things we need to do:

“We have been dominating games. You see the games against Arsenal and Manchester United, both away, and we have never felt so comfortable playing there, keeping possession and creating chances. We just need two things — to score a goal and stop conceding goals because that is also a bit of a problem at the moment.”

Wonder if we will be able to get the plain backed shirt for tonight from anywhere?

CharityStars via Saints Foundation I should think.

Even on the outside chance they reward the Israel travellers with a shirt-flinging session it'll be the flipping away kit out there. :(

In The Times this morning Virgil has it all under control. There are only two things we need to do:

“We have been dominating games. You see the games against Arsenal and Manchester United, both away, and we have never felt so comfortable playing there, keeping possession and creating chances. We just need two things — to score a goal and stop conceding goals because that is also a bit of a problem at the moment.”

Haha, brilliant! Score more, concede less... we'll have this cracked in no time ;)

He is smarter than he looks :lol:

:lol: ........ been getting some tips from Dave Merrington, have we Virgil ?

Give him half a season at least to both learn the language and prove himself as our manager Coyr

Good points ...well made.

Why is it that people who feel they can speak a language....just because they can order a holiday beer in French / Spanish ...want to criticise Puel for his lack of fluency?

I've worked for 30 years helping people to overcome such problems. It's not easy to formulate an interesting answer - even if you know what you're likely to be asked.In time, Claude will get used to the questions and be able to give more interesting responses.

I'm glad he has courage enough to speak out personally (unlike Pochettino)..and doesn't feel he needs to shoot his mouth off (like Mourinho)...when things go wrong.

:lol: It's such a simple game

I'd be chuffed with any win. Not sure why you're writing off Prague, watch them often? They're experienced in Europe and last time we fcked up against Midjyland.

Completely agree. They are vastly experienced over us in Europe. I'd gladly accept any kind of win tonight.

Need to take our chances.

Completely agree. They are vastly experienced over us in Europe. I'd gladly accept any kind of win tonight.

Need to take our chances.

Pound for pound we are a much stronger side than Sparta. Doubt a single Sparta player would even get on our bench.

The Czech league is compatible our league 2 and that might be insulting Portsmouth.

Never underestimate your opponent but we should be brushing aside teams like this - European experience or not.

Pound for pound we are a much stronger side than Sparta. Doubt a single Sparta player would even get on our bench.

The Czech league is compatible our league 2 and that might be insulting Portsmouth.

Never underestimate your opponent but we should be brushing aside teams like this - European experience or not.

Really ?? ..... and you've been telling us all this time, that we've got a sh*t squad this season ... don't know what to believe now !!

You are talking absolute rubbish.

Setting things up early I see.

Just think if we contrive to lose, eh. We'll have this post to remind us just how bad the result is.

#marinateandstir