Losing Interest

Heisenberg

Nah Im over the moon. But your on the wrong thread to be dropping your trousers, running onto the pitch and waving your cock around, you just look a bit of a ****.

Ha ha love it,just glad the team are

making you "over the moon"

now where is this thread that welcomes dropping your trousers and waving your cock around that i've been hearing about....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love him or hate him.....http://betting.boylesports.com/football/bigsamgate-is-proof-football-has-lost-its-soul

I have a healthy dislike of collymore because of the ulrika incident. But I've got to admit that he's summed up my feelings in that article. Absolutely spot on.

That's not what I said at all, that's something you make of it. I can understand why there are former United fans who turned their back to their once favourite club. When some filthy rich Asian or Arab takes over the Saints and let them play in purple with gold outfits renaming the club the Soton Surfers then I would lose intrest myself too. But that's not the case with the Saints, isn't it?

You said "In my opinion being a fan or supporter is not about the players, titles, cups, money or whatever, it's about the club which makes your heart tick. You can loathe the policy of the club, believe Puel is a stupid frog or hate the obscenity which comes along with all the money in the PL but to turn your back to the club believing there are better things to do on a saturday or sunday afternoon? In that case I guess you're not really a fan or supporter anymore."

So I'm not sure you really said anything other than "You are a supporter until you find something else to do which means you are not a supporter anymore."

You have now outlined circumstances when one might not want to be a supporter anymore. You draw the line at filthy rich Arabs or Asians making [us] play in purple and gold...

An increasing number of people (as this thread suggests) are feeling that it is increasingly difficult to remain a "supporter" the way the game is going. Being a supporter to them isn't just about the club, but about club within the context of the industry. You have just agreed with that, it's just your red line isn't quite in the same place as many others who find they are reaching theirs.

They may however be prepared to watch the odd game for a piece of entertainment, just as they might watch a film or listen to a concert. They wouldn't necessarily call themselves a "supporter" of DreamWorks or of The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra or whatever.

You said "In my opinion being a fan or supporter is not about the players, titles, cups, money or whatever, it's about the club which makes your heart tick. You can loathe the policy of the club, believe Puel is a stupid frog or hate the obscenity which comes along with all the money in the PL but to turn your back to the club believing there are better things to do on a saturday or sunday afternoon? In that case I guess you're not really a fan or supporter anymore."

So I'm not sure you really said anything other than "You are a supporter until you find something else to do which means you are not a supporter anymore."

You have now outlined circumstances when one might not want to be a supporter anymore. You draw the line at filthy rich Arabs or Asians making [us] play in purple and gold...

An increasing number of people (as this thread suggests) are feeling that it is increasingly difficult to remain a "supporter" the way the game is going. Being a supporter to them isn't just about the club, but about club within the context of the industry. You have just agreed with that, it's just your red line isn't quite in the same place as many others who find they are reaching theirs.

They may however be prepared to watch the odd game for a piece of entertainment, just as they might watch a film or listen to a concert. They wouldn't necessarily call themselves a "supporter" of DreamWorks or of The Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra or whatever.

You'd have to go to pompey to see the BSO nowadays, I think. They gave up on soton guildhall some years ago due to the appalling acoustics.

Each can draw his own red line Hughie but do you consider someone a fan or supporter when he says he's fed up with it all (whatever that may be to him or her) and decides to not go to the stadium or listen to the radio or watch the Saints on television anymore? I don't.

To compare a football game with going to the movies or a concert shows exactly what's wrong with football these days. It's what some marketing fool of the FA is thinking about when he prepares his powerpoint presentation on the "product" football. "What are we going to do tonight honey? There's a new Bridget Jones movie or shall we watch a game of Southampton. They play against United with all those fantastic "stars"!" A theater audience in a football stadium, yikes...

Good column of Collymore btw.

Edited by van Hanegem

I have a healthy dislike of collymore because of the ulrika incident. But I've got to admit that he's summed up my feelings in that article. Absolutely spot on.

Yes the Ulrika bit was unacceptable - maybe it made him think about life a bit more.

But that's not the point I wanted to make. Ticket prices....I think that the ST is too high but that is partially my fault for being in Kingsland. However, I did want to reiterate that the prices for the group games at least, of the EL really aren't bad at all. £16 for an adult. I took a L2 club at random (Carlisle) and looked at their ticket prices...I am sure that we would still have sold lots of tickets for the EL if it had been more expensive (like a Cat C game).

Seating Pre-sale Match Day

Adult £19 £22

Senior £16 £19

Young Person £13 £16

Junior £10 £10

Child U11 £7 £7

Child U7 FoC FoC

Ambulant Carer FoC FoC

W/Chair & Carer £4 £4

1 Adult + 1 Junior £27 £30

1 Adult + 2 Junior £35 £38

1 Senior + 1 Junior £24 £27

Terracing Pre-sale Match Day

Adult £16 £19

Senior £13 £16

Young Person £10 £13

Junior £7 £7

Child U11 £4 £4

Child U7 FoC FoC

Ambulant Carer FoC FoC

W/Chair & Carer £4 £4

1 Adult + 1 Junior £21 £24

1 Adult + 2 Junior £26 £29

1 Senior + 1 Junior £18 £21

Read more at http://www.carlisleunited.co.uk/tickets/ticket-prices/index.aspx#QO7DOL7cvDDPFwcs.99

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Meh. Football in general has just become dull. I keep coming back on here for some reason for some news or gossip that might re-invigorate my interest but to no avail. I can't even be bothered to work out exactly why it is or explain my complete apathy. To be honest I'm surprised in myself for even being bothered to post on a football forum about not being bothered by football, the hypocrisy!

These international breaks don't help

You can say that again!

For various reasons I have not been able to attend any of our games yet this season despite forking out for two season tickets. I am also going to miss another four home games before March due to othe commitments. My frandson goes but that's not really why I bought the tickets. Strangely enough, I don't miss going to the games yet. I had recorded all the MOTD programmes but when I got home couldn't be bothered to watch them. Is it the crap football that's being played these days?

Started watching NFL last year and now slightly hooked. Taken a while to understand the rules and plays and still learning but really enjoy it.

Took arizona cardinals as my team and hoping for a decent season again.

Found the whole draft and salary cap stuff very interesting and wonder if the BPL should be looking at how the NFL keep things fair for all

Also the lack of transfers is interesting and allows fans to really get behind the players and club.

I play golf (7 handicap now) and enjoy watching the odd tournament. Obviously the big ones appeal more and ryder cup later this month

The Cardinals won't do anything with Johnson out for the season and Palmer throwing the ball 50 times every game - and an appalling pass defence at the moment. If you think Saints are bad the Cards will make you question sport full stop.

But NFL in its current guise is a superior game/product to Premier League football.

That's why I'm hoping the 'London Jaguars' is more than just a pipe dream.

Edit: just seen the date on this. Above still true mind.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

You can say that again!

For various reasons I have not been able to attend any of our games yet this season despite forking out for two season tickets. I am also going to miss another four home games before March due to othe commitments. My frandson goes but that's not really why I bought the tickets. Strangely enough, I don't miss going to the games yet. I had recorded all the MOTD programmes but when I got home couldn't be bothered to watch them. Is it the crap football that's being played these days?

I recall that you were one of those who led the charge to hound poor Puel out last season. The goals have hardly been flying in since despite no European football and, after the Wolves reserves fiasco, no League Cup run either....

It has been going downhill for a few seasons now. To much player power, stupid money being thrown about. No loyalty. No passion the whole set up is dying including the England team same old crap being picked to represent country. They should just form a new league bring back the passion but make it so every team has a equal footing, no stupid rich owners etc and teams full of Carlos kick a balls.

The Cardinals won't do anything with Johnson out for the season and Palmer throwing the ball 50 times every game - and an appalling pass defence at the moment. If you think Saints are bad the Cards will make you question sport full stop.

But NFL in its current guise is a superior game/product to Premier League football.

That's why I'm hoping the 'London Jaguars' is more than just a pipe dream.

Edit: just seen the date on this. Above still true mind.

Ever been to see a live game at Wembley or Twickenham?

I still enjoy watching it.

Things must be bad if you prefer to watch Yank Footie! I think the ball is in play about 12mins in total during the whole game - and a game takes about 3.5 - 4 hours? ...I like watching the highlights but watching a full game is zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Went to see 49ers-Jags but it was so one-sided it was boring. My friend is a 49ers fan and even he wanted to leave before the end! I think the Wembley crowd suffers from having a mixed fanbase, so as UnbelievableJeff says, it would benefit from actually having a London team (though slightly hypocritical of me to want this given my feelings towards PL matches being hosted in other countries, never mind teams moving).

It's an easy game to make lazy criticisms of, most of which are either not true or misinformed - the main one being "it's so stop-start". I would agree, however, that any sport where the teams have to stand around on the field waiting because the "commercial breaks" haven't finished is a little bit backwards, but that's more to do with America than NFL.

I've been to see games in Atlanta and Tampa, both were good experiences, although having not watched or played the game growing up, there are lots of moments where at best I don't spot the intracacies of a play and at worst have no idea where the ball is until the play is over :lol:

Went to see 49ers-Jags but it was so one-sided it was boring. My friend is a 49ers fan and even he wanted to leave before the end! I think the Wembley crowd suffers from having a mixed fanbase, so as UnbelievableJeff says, it would benefit from actually having a London team (though slightly hypocritical of me to want this given my feelings towards PL matches being hosted in other countries, never mind teams moving).

It's an easy game to make lazy criticisms of, most of which are either not true or misinformed - the main one being "it's so stop-start". I would agree, however, that any sport where the teams have to stand around on the field waiting because the "commercial breaks" haven't finished is a little bit backwards, but that's more to do with America than NFL.

I've been to see games in Atlanta and Tampa, both were good experiences, although having not watched or played the game growing up, there are lots of moments where at best I don't spot the intracacies of a play and at worst have no idea where the ball is until the play is over :lol:

Been to games in Baltimore, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco. The plan had been to go to Lambeau Field this November; but other things have got in the way.

From a purely technical perspective (i.e. leaving out the atmosphere), the NFL is much better suited to TV than football. Each play is like a burst of gun fire and is over in a blink of an eye. While you get some sense how a play might develop from the different formations and coverages that the offense and defense shows, the whole point is to confuse and misdirect. TV gives you the benefit of multiple angles, instant replays (esp for penalties), close ups (f**k knows who’s winning what along the offensive and defensive lines when you’re up in the gods) and of course analysis - all of which allow you to understand the anatomy of a play and how it’s elements fit together.

Arguably NFL becomes more exciting in person when it becomes more like football, when it goes off script -for instance when a coverage is blown or a QB is forced out of the pocket.

There have been some excellent NFL games this season (though the irony is that viewing figures have been falling, probably due to technology as much as anything). The same can’t be said about football: how much this is due to the quality of our play and the dire atmospheres is unclear; but the lack of real competition, the sheer amount of football and the funny times haven’t helped.

This was perhaps tolerable as long as the authorities and media could claim that the PL was the best league in the world; but watching us to play s**t in Europe and the fate of the national team have shattered that myth. That just makes the overhyping of players and managers feel patronising and manipulative. The pulling away of the top six also flies in the face of the PL’s alleged parity and unpredictability. The only reason games appear closer than they are is that they have become more predictable as underdogs set up more rigidly while the top teams are afraid to lose to each other.

Edited by shurlock

I haven't enjoyed SFC games for a while but I do think as a crowd we can play our part. Turn the volume up when a Sants player takes opponents on or tries something, even if it doesn't come off. Instead of moaning about the tactics, let's make our feelings clear with a bust of 'attack, attack, attack' at kick off or if we see the tempo dropping and players going into Puel/MP sluggish possession walking mode. A bit of irony even - 'we'll score again, don't know where, don't know when'.

The club just seems to be stuck in a rut and might need another push in changing.

Things must be bad if you prefer to watch Yank Footie! I think the ball is in play about 12mins in total during the whole game - and a game takes about 3.5 - 4 hours? ...I like watching the highlights but watching a full game is zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I used to think that but I got quite into it whilst I was over the states.

On the face of it 3-4hrs with all the stop-start and ads is boring as ****, but it is perfectly suited for watching in a bar.

There is a bigger issue here clearly, but I don't think there would have been so many contributors to this thread if the last 18 months or so of football from Saints hadn't been as dull as they have at times.

Might just be me, but I doubt I would have even opened this thread when we were on that great run to the end of the season in Koeman's last few months.

You can say that again!

Is that the phrase for a friends Grandson?

"This is my frandson Terry, he is my friends grandson"

I haven't enjoyed SFC games for a while but I do think as a crowd we can play our part. Turn the volume up when a Sants player takes opponents on or tries something, even if it doesn't come off. Instead of moaning about the tactics, let's make our feelings clear with a bust of 'attack, attack, attack' at kick off or if we see the tempo dropping and players going into Puel/MP sluggish possession walking mode. A bit of irony even - 'we'll score again, don't know where, don't know when'.

The club just seems to be stuck in a rut and might need another push in changing.

I think the total lack of atmosphere at most grounds nowadays really is helping kill the game for a lot of us. It's not just about singing, just getting involved and getting behind your team with a bit of partisan support. For me there's no better experience than going to football when there's ear-splitting noise from the stands. A good old-fashioned roar building and ringing around stadiums rarely happens these days. The fans are equally dull as the football being played out on the pitch.

There is a bigger issue here clearly, but I don't think there would have been so many contributors to this thread if the last 18 months or so of football from Saints hadn't been as dull as they have at times.

Might just be me, but I doubt I would have even opened this thread when we were on that great run to the end of the season in Koeman's last few months.

It used to be said that supporting Saints was never dull .

Well it certainly is now !

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

NFL is ****** - I don't care how boring or disinterested I become in Saints / England, I'd rather watch the Skate week in week out than that sh!t.

NFL is one of my favourites ever since the ‘85 Chicago Bears. I still remember watching Channel 4’s coverage with Mick Luckhurst in the late 80’s. It was a real treat coming to N. America and watching full NFL games on the telly every weekend, it almost made up for the non-existent football coverage in the early 90’s. Haven’t seen the NFL in person yet, just the CFL.

TBF this thread was started after one of our best seasons ever and before our dull season under Puel + this season - perhaps the OP had a premonition!?

For me its not been just about results - its probably more a realization that the season under Koeman was about as good as it gets for us. Occasionally being "best of the rest" and occasionally getting to finish above one of the top 6.

Perhaps after a few years of highs it was the daunting reality that we are no different or better than clubs like Stoke, WBA, WHU and Swansea. Here in the EPL to make up the fixtures.

Here to simply trial players and coaches for the top 6 to take at will (or watch players take a hissy and strike)

The biggest cheers from Saints fans these days is when Liverpool draw or Everton, Spurs or Portsmouth lose - spitting venom at our past players and managers that have moved onto bigger clubs. Is that really life as a Saints fan these days?

The money is grotesque the players now completely repulsive and distant from fans - football and SFC is now simply just a business more than ever.

Been to games in Baltimore, Denver, New Orleans and San Francisco. The plan had been to go to Lambeau Field this November; but other things have got in the way.

From a purely technical perspective (i.e. leaving out the atmosphere), the NFL is much better suited to TV than football. Each play is like a burst of gun fire and is over in a blink of an eye. While you get some sense how a play might develop from the different formations and coverages that the offense and defense shows, the whole point is to confuse and misdirect. TV gives you the benefit of multiple angles, instant replays (esp for penalties), close ups (f**k knows who’s winning what along the offensive and defensive lines when you’re up in the gods) and of course analysis - all of which allow you to understand the anatomy of a play and how it’s elements fit together.

Arguably NFL becomes more exciting in person when it becomes more like football, when it goes off script -for instance when a coverage is blown or a QB is forced out of the pocket.

There have been some excellent NFL games this season (though the irony is that viewing figures have been falling, probably due to technology as much as anything). The same can’t be said about football: how much this is due to the quality of our play and the dire atmospheres is unclear; but the lack of real competition, the sheer amount of football and the funny times haven’t helped.

This was perhaps tolerable as long as the authorities and media could claim that the PL was the best league in the world; but watching us to play s**t in Europe and the fate of the national team have shattered that myth. That just makes the overhyping of players and managers feel patronising and manipulative. The pulling away of the top six also flies in the face of the PL’s alleged parity and unpredictability. The only reason games appear closer than they are is that they have become more predictable as underdogs set up more rigidly while the top teams are afraid to lose to each other.

Although I can't sit through a game as a neutral watching two teams that mean absolutely nothing to me, I enjoy watching Green Bay Packers with my son who's a diehard fan, especially when it's a close game...as was the game away to the Cowboys last Sunday.

Took me years to attempt to see what it was all about, since it is so far removed from proper football....it looked dire! Agree that it is a perfect TV spectacle (unless you have seats costing hundreds of dollars in the stadium). Was at a game in nosebleed seats a couple of years ago (Cardinals vs Packers in AZ) and whilst the atmos was great, couldn't really appreciate what was going on pitchside.

This season and last I’ve been to/watched more Ice Hockey than football. Fortunately I live close to cardiff, so get to watch the Devils quite often. Something about being into a minority sports makes you feel more connected.

The whole circus around football has become tedious. So many things wrong with the sport now I can’t be arsed to list them, but I’m sure people have the same issues as me.

All this losing interest vanishes if we go on a run of wins.

But the point is that is highly unlikely. I must admit I have never been so underwhelmed as I am these days. Even in the bad days we had our heroes to hang onto but this current bunch leave me cold. In fact one or two of them I actively dislike.

I don't think the club has been managed well in a football sense for a couple of years now and coupled with the fact the game in general is eating itself its no wonder there is disillusionment in the air.

All this losing interest vanishes if we go on a run of wins.

Not sure that's true, for many of us the game has just been totally sanitised, instead of a day at the football with your mates - a few beers, a laugh, a place to vent, etc. - we have a "matchday experience", over priced tickets (even with the campaign on away tickets), stewards that make us sit, music piped at full volume, unpredictable kick off times, players who at best you get a couple of seasons out of before their bank balance drags them somewhere else, stattos who turn a game that should be about surprise and artistry into one about numbers and spreadsheets...

Like many i know away games are the only thing that really keep the old buzz going, home games are almost an effort these days, and even when we were winning i know many who were falling out of love with the game.

Sad thing is i just can't see it coming back, maybe it is age, but i think it's more that football has completely turned into an "entertainment industry" for tv than anything else.

But the point is that is highly unlikely. I must admit I have never been so underwhelmed as I am these days. Even in the bad days we had our heroes to hang onto but this current bunch leave me cold. In fact one or two of them I actively dislike.

I don't think the club has been managed well in a football sense for a couple of years now and coupled with the fact the game in general is eating itself its no wonder there is disillusionment in the air.

Mirrors how I feel about Saints Football in the last season or two. I'll go further and name the one or two I actively dislike.....Tadic and Redmond; not team players, moan and whinge on the pitch and don't put in when things get difficult. Those that underwhelm and leave you cold....Forster, Ward-Prowse, Long, Austin, and as he ages Davis begins to underwhelm too. With Van Diik on his way out it leaves Lemina as the player to enjoy and get you out of your seat now and again. And then the next group of solid, talented players - some more consistent than others.....Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, Hoedt, Boufal and Gabbiadini.

I think that the most pleasure I have gained recently, is giving my 2 STs to a neighbour so that he can take his 6 year old boy to his first game (will be the WBA one).

But as whelk says, things might all change if we go on a run. However that does not change my dislike for football's business side. it would just reaffirms my love of Southampton Football Club. I do though realise that they are not mutually exclusive.

What ruins it for me, is the constant promotion of the PL (and CL) by the TV companies. But it is who they promote the whole time. I am well aware that the money is with the Big 6, and the constant going on and on and on about Liverpool this, Man Utd that just bores me senseless. Too much of a good thing. All good things in moderation. etc etc. It is also my fault for listening to talkSport, which I have vowed to stop doing now. They just talk about the Big 6 coupled with a equanimity towards the rest. I realise that modern football and the TV companies are intrinsically connected, highlighted by the fact that the B&HA vs EFC game is being moved to 1330 to suit the India TV demand (as it is not being shown in UK). Screw the supporters. But that's life.

It also reaffirms the divide between the them and us, and turns me to think again about why be in a competition that you have no chance at all of winning. I know people counter that with the PL being better than other leagues, but the same question applies to those leagues. Whether it is 1, 2 or 6 clubs that are likely to be challenging , it still leaves 14-19 others that can't. LCFC winning the PL gives a false glimmer of hope.

And let's not even bother going to the players' wages and the way they live their lives. Good money if you can get it, but.......

The demand for tickets for both our home and away games continues to increase and Newcastle looks like being our 5th consective league sell out at St Mary's. This either suggests an increase in interest from the existing fanbase or an increase in the size of our fanbase.

As for atmosphere, as has been pointed out on here, for the brief spell we had a home kop at the Dell, the atmosphere was great. A whole home end at St Mary's is the obvious solution now.

The demand for tickets for both our home and away games continues to increase and Newcastle looks like being our 5th consective league sell out at St Mary's. This either suggests an increase in interest from the existing fanbase or an increase in the size of our fanbase.

As for atmosphere, as has been pointed out on here, for the brief spell we had a home kop at the Dell, the atmosphere was great. A whole home end at St Mary's is the obvious solution now.

It doesn't suggest anything of the sort merely that there are more and more PL day trippers who treat going to the football like a trip to the cinema and like to turn up to watch a game while having little emotional investment in the actual outcome hence the crap atmosphere.

Mirrors how I feel about Saints Football in the last season or two. I'll go further and name the one or two I actively dislike.....Tadic and Redmond; not team players, moan and whinge on the pitch and don't put in when things get difficult. Those that underwhelm and leave you cold....Forster, Ward-Prowse, Long, Austin, and as he ages Davis begins to underwhelm too. With Van Diik on his way out it leaves Lemina as the player to enjoy and get you out of your seat now and again. And then the next group of solid, talented players - some more consistent than others.....Romeu, Bertrand, Cedric, Hoedt, Boufal and Gabbiadini.

I agree with some of that. Davis I can't dislike because he's been a great servant to SFC and gives his best event though he's been fading. Although Long isn't prolific, I do at least I know we'll always get a shift from him.

Tadic and Redmond though do my head in. Tadic is a good player to watch when he can be bothered although the falling about does my head in and he slows us up at times. He's petulant and unhelpful some games though. Whereas Redmond is always petulant, moaning at a teammate or the ref, no wonder Ryan seemingly got fed up with him. I do hope MP isn't allowing himself to be dictated to on his selection (as I fear Puel was), because he wouldn't get in most Championship squads on current form. Has one move - cut in and try and curl a shot into the corner (e.g. Boro away). Was his only trademark at Norwich so shows you he hasn't progressed at all and can be part of our midfield bonfire in January.

Fraser was just off form/injured last term and seems to have got his mojo back a bit. JWP I've nothing against but is like Redmond in many ways - hasn't developed anywhere enough for a place in the 18 and although has a better attitude than Nathan, there's a sense that JWP is guaranteed some form of involvement come what may. Should have been loaned out seasons ago but you have the feeling it wouldn't have been allowed. VVD - enough said, a player I tolerate until he leaves. Austin I feel some sympathy for, SFC knew what type of player he was but haven't adapted the seemingly corporate version of 4-2-3-1 in any way, emasculating not just Charlie, but also Tadic, Long and Gabbiadini. Bertrand himself doesn't appear to be enjoying any football, Saints or England. May be his mind is outside of football.

Enjoy watching Romeu, Lemina, Cedric, Hoedt, Yoshida and Gabbiadini. SFC really need to build their system around Gabbiadini, Lemina. Romeu and the rest will fit. Throw the corporate template out of the window and see if MP can cut it or not, but his way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/10/10/premier-league-backing-away-plans-saturday-745pm-matches/

I look at this, and see what is wrong with the PL. Night games can really stiff supporters trying to get home. Is a crap non-traditional time, although I don't mind mid-week 745 KOs. But it is the no 1st or 2nd pick games being shown. ie little clubs are the ones going to be stuffed into these slots, while the Big 6 don't feature.

As I say, I am well aware of the nature of the beast, the appeal of one club over another, but to keep the integrity of the competition, all clubs should be treated equally and they just aren't.

Oh well. What do you suggest? Ban day trippers?

Quite - I like having new visitors to games. The bigger problem is the players, agents, mechanistic style of play and tactics, transfer window mess ups and people still aren't totally sure about the ownership yet.