Losing Interest

Heisenberg

Losing Interest in SFC and football in general - seems to be a common theme across a number of threads just now.

From a personal perspective I found the whole summer at SFC and the start to our season all very predictable and if I’m honest I choose to walk up Ben Nevis on Saturday rather than watch us lose to Arsenal.

Similar stories coming from my friends in Bournemouth and Southampton who are struggling this season and can’t quite put their finger on why. All feels a bit uninspired and predictable this season?

Is it a mixture of our best players leaving every single summer, our poor start, net summer spend, new manager who is not inspiring many or are people now just coming to terms with our position (top 10 is probably all we can hope for)? Or are people just repulsed by the grotesque wages and transfers in the Prem now? Perhaps a combination of 3 or 4 things?

I’ve found myself watching more golf and NFL this past week - in months gone by I would be (given chance) on SSN all day every day. Something has changed!?

How are the rest of you feeling? With Europa and top 6 last season I was absolutely buzzing for the season to start back in May – I seem to have dropped from a 10 to a 5 over the past 4 months.

I've lost interest in the premier league due to the tv rights in Australia being sold to a company without a tv presence and requiring people to change their mobile phone plans and internet providers to watch online coverage which continually freezes and provides live coverage on delay

The greed of the premier league to take a few extra dollars over providing a viewing platform has lessened my interest

Looking forward to watching the Europa league though which is on tv

Lack of stability doesn't help, players and managers passing through the club. I think Koeman leaving had more of an effect on us as a club than we gave it credit for, seemed to set a standard. Now we're not playing well, manager seems uninspiring, players seems unhappy. Maybe Puel can pull it back, it's still early days.

Yep I'm completely underwhelmed by several things. The way the big guns can have a rubbish season then just throw money at it and instantly recover gets my goat and the whole sky rip off just gets more sickening every season. Closer to home I'm fed up with being fed all this champions league kack only to see us sell our prized assets each year and then this year with so much cash available, not even bother to show ambition in the transfer window. I'm convinced we could have kept Koeman by showing a bit of ambition, maybe others to?

Last night topped it off seeing Koemans Everton thrash a Sunderland side that we almost lost at home to.....it's all become very dull and boring after showing so much promise in recent seasons. I hate to say it but I'm pretty sure I know how our Europa campaign will go as well.....

Lack of stability doesn't help, players and managers passing through the club. I think Koeman leaving had more of an effect on us as a club than we gave it credit for, seemed to set a standard. Now we're not playing well, manager seems uninspiring, players seems unhappy. Maybe Puel can pull it back, it's still early days.

Don't remember our start to last season being particularly inspiring either. We won one game out of 6 I think in the League and got tipped out of Europe in the preliminary rounds.

It seems the rumours of Ronald not getting on with the players was way off if that's the case then.

I lost interest over the summer because of the advertising of the PL. Mourinho vs Guardiola. Klopp. Conte. All the best managers (supposedly) going to make it the best season. Blah blah blah. I know BT and Sky need to sell and promote the thing, but to me it was over kill, not least because they concentrate on the big clubs (naturally so) who I have no interest in.

Another example happened this week. Radio ad for BT and up coming games. It was Arsenals game against PSG. Leicester's first CL game. Spurs against Monaco. And on Thursday, Man Utd against Feyenoord in that somewhat annoying tone they have. Now I am not really bothered that BT didn't bother to mention our Europa game, but for some reason passing over Leicester so blithely irked me some. That to me, a "neutral" so to speak, is by far the most fascinating game and should have been treated with somewhat more deference. But no, BT/Sky just big up the big boys.

I've supported Saints for over 40 years and I can honestly say that this is the best era in the clubs history. Good cup runs give good memories but there's never been an era before where seven years of continuous improvement has resulted in a top six finish and a European adventure. The trouble with all this is we become complacent. We suddenly feel invincible and can't understand why the four or five clubs above us don't just roll over and concede we are the best club ever. So four games without a win is definitely enough to turn the average fan off a game where obscene amounts of money are changing hands with all the other clubs apart from our own.

Losing Interest in SFC and football in general - seems to be a common theme across a number of threads just now.

From a personal perspective I found the whole summer at SFC and the start to our season all very predictable and if I’m honest I choose to walk up Ben Nevis on Saturday rather than watch us lose to Arsenal.

Similar stories coming from my friends in Bournemouth and Southampton who are struggling this season and can’t quite put their finger on why. All feels a bit uninspired and predictable this season?

Is it a mixture of our best players leaving every single summer, our poor start, net summer spend, new manager who is not inspiring many or are people now just coming to terms with our position (top 10 is probably all we can hope for)? Or are people just repulsed by the grotesque wages and transfers in the Prem now? Perhaps a combination of 3 or 4 things?

I’ve found myself watching more golf and NFL this past week - in months gone by I would be (given chance) on SSN all day every day. Something has changed!?

How are the rest of you feeling? With Europa and top 6 last season I was absolutely buzzing for the season to start back in May – I seem to have dropped from a 10 to a 5 over the past 4 months.

I'm not a bedwetter or glass half empty kinda person or a habitual poster on here, but I get where you're coming from, and some of what you say does ring true with me.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/709965/Premier-league-news-football-England-Angry-Column-Manchester-United-Arsenal-Chelsea

This is quite an interesting article (not least because it is the Express!!). I particularly liked - ‘This is a new dawn for English football’ was the connoisseurs’ general verdict after the Jose v Pep premiere. And therein lies the constant mistake. The Premier League is not English football, it is football that is played in England.......................................................In fact, the Premier League is akin to a twisted version of the Body Snatchers, borrowing our English club names such as Manchester City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal and sucking the true life out of it before parading it as an English club playing English football. And we take it all in, fawning over how great English football really is. Nonsense.

but for me - absolutely looking forward to EL, but PL, I'm a bit meh but realise without it, EL won't happen.

Edited by angelman

Yep I'm completely underwhelmed by several things. The way the big guns can have a rubbish season then just throw money at it and instantly recover gets my goat and the whole sky rip off just gets more sickening every season. Closer to home I'm fed up with being fed all this champions league kack only to see us sell our prized assets each year and then this year with so much cash available, not even bother to show ambition in the transfer window. I'm convinced we could have kept Koeman by showing a bit of ambition, maybe others to?

Last night topped it off seeing Koemans Everton thrash a Sunderland side that we almost lost at home to.....it's all become very dull and boring after showing so much promise in recent seasons. I hate to say it but I'm pretty sure I know how our Europa campaign will go as well.....

To be fair, with over £100m TV revenue, and more revenue generated from the sales of Pelle, Wanyama and Mane, we could have 'thrown money at it'. A bit more anyway.

Well said, angelman Agree completely. It's not just Sky but the whole Premier League media coverage which has become narrow on a few 'celebrity' clubs. That the Premier League is not English football is Confirmed by the second rate England Football Team. Having international teams playing in the names and colours of what used to be English football clubs ought to be something fans could reject but we are so wedded to the name of our club that we follow it regardless of foreign ownership and foreign manager and foreign players, few if any of whom share the fans loyalty to the club. It's not just our club that the fans have lost, but most other teams in the top two tiers of the professional game.

Sadly I lost a lot of my interest when we were promoted. My main saints support was when we were scrapping around nearly being relegated season after season and the fight of going down the leagues and the fight of coming back up was so much fun. I feel we're reached our peak now sadly as the top of the Premiership is just fueled by billionaires throwing money around which our club aren't prepared to do. We work as a business rather than a cash cow which I think is totally fair enough but not very exciting.

you are watching NFL because NFL is a better sport - it is better run, with the aim for every franchise to gravitate towards 8-8. It means even the less good franchises can dream of a superbowl win in the next 4-5 years. It is also not all about money, because it is controlled with caps etc. it's bout winning. Soccerball, on the other hand, especially now with 'FFP', is a game of haves and have-nots, and is all about the money and club size. Which is what makes the Leicester story quite so amazing. now we are back to normal, saints will be midtable, until one year they'll be relegated, and maybe they'll come up again, maybe they won't and someone like west brom will take their place as a top ten side, before falling away, whilst the big 4 or 5 continue to widen the gap.

no idea why you are watching golf though.

Following on from what I just said, I think in a few years we will be bought by someone who wants to run us more of a hobbie than as a business and we will get more significant investment, but I don't really find myself warming to that position either. I hate the clubs like Man U and City who spend their way to the top - I guess there's no pleasing us!

you are watching NFL because NFL is a better sport - it is better run, with the aim for every franchise to gravitate towards 8-8. It means even the less good franchises can dream of a superbowl win in the next 4-5 years. It is also not all about money, because it is controlled with caps etc. it's bout winning. Soccerball, on the other hand, especially now with 'FFP', is a game of haves and have-nots, and is all about the money and club size. Which is what makes the Leicester story quite so amazing. now we are back to normal, saints will be midtable, until one year they'll be relegated, and maybe they'll come up again, maybe they won't and someone like west brom will take their place as a top ten side, before falling away, whilst the big 4 or 5 continue to widen the gap.

Agreed except I don't think we'll be relegated. I think we'll be bought by someone with a bigger chequebook. Kat runs this club as a business. She's happy with where we are - not prepared to spend big to get us to the top but will also ensure we stay mid table (IMO of course)

Have definitely lost interest in general, but not when at games. So I'm starting to worry less about all the nonsense which comes with it and focus on other aspects of life and just enjoying the atmosphere of matches a bit more instead. Could very well be down to the repetitive disappointing summers the club offers us, or a combination of all the reasons in the OP.

Up the Saints and all that

It's the money washing around the game that is off putting.

Players earning more in a week than many people earn in 10 years.

It's just not right.

The imbalance between the big clubs and the medium to small clubs.

When there are football pitches being built on and a lack of coaches for the youngsters and the money just keeps going into the players pockets it puts me off.

I am not into watching football at the moment, just can't bring myself to do it.

Paralympics and Olympics before, Cricket before that.

What will I do once Rio is over?

I am the same I think it is the Premier league which has become boring. I think the sooner the big clubs form a stupid super league the better..... Clubs like Man United have a bad season and they chuck 300 million at the team lol its not a case of skill anyone its predictable and boring. As for Saints call me a moaner or bed wetter I am being realistic we lack ambition should of pushed for the top 4 when we had the chance even if we had to spend a extra 30 million to do so at the time.....

Everything so far about this season so far has been a bit pants.... Players in, manager hell even the kit design is gash! I think we will finish mid table this season and Van Djik will be out the door come summer....

Have definitely lost interest in general, but not when at games. So I'm starting to worry less about all the nonsense which comes with it and focus on other aspects of life and just enjoying the atmosphere of matches a bit more instead. Could very well be down to the repetitive disappointing summers the club offers us, or a combination of all the reasons in the OP.

Up the Saints and all that

pretty much how I feel, and why its so hard to actually walk away

Love the 90 mins, but hate just about everything else to do with football these days

Started watching NFL last year and now slightly hooked. Taken a while to understand the rules and plays and still learning but really enjoy it.

Took arizona cardinals as my team and hoping for a decent season again.

Found the whole draft and salary cap stuff very interesting and wonder if the BPL should be looking at how the NFL keep things fair for all

Also the lack of transfers is interesting and allows fans to really get behind the players and club.

I play golf (7 handicap now) and enjoy watching the odd tournament. Obviously the big ones appeal more and ryder cup later this month ?

Feel exactly the same to be honest. Not the extra TV cash extra but feel the club has let us down. I was buzzing too in May couldn't wait for the season to start but now feel totally deflated. I don't expect us to spend £100M on players but we should at least spend all we get from player sales etc. I know we will lose players but we should at least try to replace them - this team is weaker then last year. So disappointed with the appointment of Puel too - he seems out of his depth and doesn't play to the players strengths.

Went to Holland and Denmark last year but can't get motivated to bother this year - just know we will roll over and I will be gutted! At least I'll be gutted at home and not be gutted like I was in the middle of Jutland last year.

Went to Arsenal on Sat and expected to get beat but not in that fashion, beaten by the ref ..............and by our own board / manager. Hope things look up soon.

Don't remember our start to last season being particularly inspiring either. We won one game out of 6 I think in the League and got tipped out of Europe in the preliminary rounds.

Absolutely, everyone wearing rose tinted glasses where last season is concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im gaining interest to be honest. Squad is now set, Europa games to come. Players starting to get the diamond. We get all the games here and ive found a channel that lets me watch MOTD the next day.

So we didnt bring in a plethora of players, this is our team, lets support them.

You mention golf Heisenburg. This is a bit like a classic Ryder cup, at the moment the putts are sitting on the lip and the Americans just pitched in from behind a tree, but just even though the Ryder cup, the tide will turn. You just have to manage your emotions a bit better not get all wrist slitty when we are not doing so well and dial it back a bit when we are on a great run.

Cant wait for Thursday. COYS!!

weirdly your post count on here seems to have shot up since you lost interest in saints .....

When I saw the Managers after match interview I was totally underwhelmed. He wouldn't inspire me get out of bed on a sunny morning.

The club should have kept Koeman,even when we lost he made me chuckle. Lee going was a blow too.

I think the fans have had enough of whenever we have a decent season our manager leaves together with our best players.

I will be there Thursday, but sadly the club I will always love cannot carry on losing good managers and players, I've got this horrible feeling we will do a Villa this season.

In the past I would have raged all weekend and still be in poor mood. At the final whistle I just thought 'typical lucky Arsenal' and got on with things.

I have Sky but watch few games as they dont inspire me anymore

I'd love to know which channel you're talking about...I haven't seen MOTD SINCE 1989!

You are right to an extent Heisenburg, I have lost interest, and tbh it is because of the money. I don't have my ST anymore, just gonna go certain games now (it is a 4 hour round trip tho!!!)

Watching players like Pogba for £110m, Higuain for £77m and other ridiculous prices when theres poverty etc in the world.

Honestly what is football coming to

I also cancelled sky/bt, only stream football on the firestick- I always watch the Saints full match but that is about it now, cba with MOTD or the biased Carragher or any of the England national team games- last game I saw that was that s*itfest in EURO 2016.

Edited by nta786

Im gaining interest to be honest. Squad is now set, Europa games to come. Players starting to get the diamond. We get all the games here and ive found a channel that lets me watch MOTD the next day.

So we didnt bring in a plethora of players, this is our team, lets support them.

You mention golf Heisenburg. This is a bit like a classic Ryder cup, at the moment the putts are sitting on the lip and the Americans just pitched in from behind a tree, but just even though the Ryder cup, the tide will turn. You just have to manage your emotions a bit better not get all wrist slitty when we are not doing so well and dial it back a bit when we are on a great run.

Cant wait for Thursday. COYS!!

Ha nice post :) glad to hear you're gaining interest and I like the golf analogy :)

I am genuinely trying to relight the fire (Take That) and a few decent performances might help with that.

Looking forward to seeing boufal play TBH.

Must admit that while I've not missed a saints game home or away via NBCS since moving to the US three and a half years ago, I am now pretty hooked on baseball. I get to go to to or three games a month and watch almost every night. During the season teams play 5-6 games a week. So if you've had a crappie game hopefully the following night you can get back on track, better than having to wait a week in hope. Before i moved, i really enjoyed the lower leagues, id been a season ticket holder for more than 20 years and away trips to places like oldham and darlington are what i believe real football is about. If i was still in the uk im not sure i could justify the prices of the prem anymore.

Too early for football , cricket season not finished yet plus it is bakingly hot !!! It takes a month or so before the season gets going properly but each year we get overheated about the window etc .

It is difficult to care too much , City with their millions just so a country with a poor human rights record can rehabilitate itself in the international world . Man U also with it's millions and Chelsea rehabilitating an Oligarch with all his billions handed to him by a corrupt regime .

Wasn't football a winter sport ?

Totally the same. Never get too carried away with the 'meltdowns' and never considered myself a bed wetter but so much of the original post and those following is is pretty much how I've been feeling. i question myself a bit because this should be a really exciting stage, but it's just.. not.

Start of the summer we were at probably our most marketable and appealing position we have been in for decades. I thought this is the perfect time to push on but it doesn't feel like we've done that at all. We're very solid and do the right things, it just ultimately means nothing when other clubs can splash hundreds of millions and it not even make a dent.

The focus on the big clubs is bigger than ever and I find it unbearable. It puts me off watching matches. 'Big' players are talked about constantly even if they're doing incredibly averagely. Big decisions get brushed aside when against clubs like us whereas discussed all weekend for the bigger clubs.

It it was very predictable this summer, all too much so when I kind of hoped for more. I can't get much excitement for the Prem this season and it seems to be going the way most of us think already. Well be mid table and the big clubs will stroll it.

That said, I am excited for our European campaign and really hope we give that a proper crack as it's something a bit different.

I have lost interest in certain aspects of the professional game and rarely watch televised matches other than highlights.

What will not change is my attendance at Saints games. Nothing beats going to a match, and it never will. I also really enjoy going to non League games and would far rather go and watch Sholing, Eastleigh or whoever than sit inside watching any game on TV.

Losing interest would mean rarely being on here for a start. Mostly just the start of the season. If you have a great summer of signings and start well you're into it immediately. If it goes the other way it doesn't quite grab you. Particularly if you think it may be a season of mediocrity and few goals.

Couple of wins will get people into it, as will boufal. We were pretty boring without mane a fair bit last season too. That long run of clean sheets was effective but we weren't exciting to watch. I'm more excited about the Europa than league right now. Watching the youth teams is good too, we'll see a few good players get chances over the next year I think.

You're probably right. A couple of wins will definitely lift the mood. Mind you, a couple of defeats and questions will be asked about the manager and the direction we're going in.

Pretty knife edge if you ask me. We were poor against Watford and Sunderland, but a Defoe up front and we would probably have won both games and got something against Arsenal. Long and Austin need to find their shooting boots.

I have lost interest in certain aspects of the professional game and rarely watch televised matches other than highlights.

What will not change is my attendance at Saints games. Nothing beats going to a match, and it never will. I also really enjoy going to non League games and would far rather go and watch Sholing, Eastleigh or whoever than sit inside watching any game on TV.

Had more fun watching the Para Olympics 7 a side GB team beat Rep of Ireland last night rather that then watch MOTD!

Does that mean you'll stop creating multiple accounts to troll the forum, or is it just the football you lost interest in & still love the trolling?

Let’s keep the childish insults and nonsense over here please - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?56987-Thread-for-insulting-other-posters

Adult and decent conversation on this thread right now.

Ta :wave:

You do realise that the reason the NFL works the way it does is because there is no fear of relegation for the teams involved? If there were, then the whole "lets share all the revenue and make it competitive" idea would be out of the window, and it would be a triumph of the richest clubs over the others.

On one hand I feel that the ridiculous money thrown into the Prem is corrupting and destroying our beautiful game. And why, since billions are changing hands, why can't the FA provide competent referees to officiate games? Or at least utilise technologies to referee contentious decisions.

Here, I can understand why our Board are trying to disengage from being sucked into paying silly money for the highly skilled players that we really need in order to maintain the quality of our squad, if we are going to be able to compete with the best.

Also, I am still not convinced that the Board thought through the consequences of selling top players before replacing them with like for like or better. We were - then - in a very good bargaining position and we could have done better. Now in our current, hopefully temporary, lower status it is going to be harder to persuade the top players to come here, and also to keep our stars. I still feel this, especially as i can't shake off the feeling that going for Puel and his different style of play really was intended as a money-saving option and that hasn't come off - yet.

Then too, I am proud of the way that Saints played at Arsenal, and do see some hope. If only we had prioritised purchasing a proper replacement for Mane before he left. So did I feel that the club has let the club and fans down a little? Yes. I want the Board to demonstrate more ambition, because like all fans everywhere I want to see my club progressing.