Saints beat Sparta 3-0: Post-Match Ecstasy

Hamilton Saint

MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)  

276 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Sparta Prague (Home EL Group Stage 2016/17)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Martina
    • Yoshida
    • van Dijk
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Højbjerg
    • Tadić
    • Long
    • Austin
    • Redmond
    • Rodriguez
    • Davis

We were really good. Made Sparta look poor. Van Dyke is a beast, great captaining sorting out the penalty, especially as I had 3 nil with Austin first scorer. Mentions to Martina, Romeu and Austin who looked shattered at the end. Also Hoj is class.

Another poor touch by fans singing only one Koeman, move on and get behind our team. Embarrassing d1ckheads.

Also good ref, nice to see one.

No one sang that at all. Don't know what game you were at mate.

You are taking the **** surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he must have missed out the winky thing - or didn't go. Most of the MOTM nominations are bang on the money but I thought Yosh and JWP deserve a bit of a mention too. Overall a good team performance that made a decent Sparta side look poor. We just never let them settle - you can see what Claude is trying to do now. It's starting to come together and this win is maybe a good turning point.

I agree regarding the diamond. With our personnel it is not making the best use of what we have, and the system is too easily combatted in the Prem.

--------------------------Forster---------------------

Cedric (Cuco)--Fonte------Van Dijk-------Bertrand

------------Hojberg------Romeu (Clasie)-----------

Redmond------Boufal (Davis)----------Tadic (JRod)

---------------Austin (Long or on wings)-----------

Looks a good team.

The diamond was implemented to bring in Boufal - Austin or JRod look fine as strikers.

Match one of them up with long or Redmond and we will be great.

Yoshida apart from half a back pass very good. Some good reading andinterceptions.

Martina second half defended well and won many interceptions.

Martina was often caught too high up the pitch but he did quite well, especially considering he took a battering.

Yoshi however made 3 - THREE - of his signature pea-roller back passes to Forster in the first half alone, all of which were pounced on by Sparta. If they had been decent they would have scored. He is a liability. Agree he defended well at times but his errors are too obvious to ignore.

Martina was often caught too high up the pitch but he did quite well, especially considering he took a battering.

Yoshi however made 3 - THREE - of his signature pea-roller back passes to Forster in the first half alone, all of which were pounced on by Sparta. If they had been decent they would have scored. He is a liability. Agree he defended well at times but his errors are too obvious to ignore.

Complete nonsense.

Not sure you understand what the full backs role is under Puel in the diamond if you think that

So you agree not terrible then like you said?

Good win.

Opponents were poor and I am grateful for that.

My guess is that the penalty was Tadic's to take judging by the comments post match from Austin and Puel. So I will lay off him for arguing about it.

On the basis there was no beer for sale in the home end, and therefore probably no beer in the away end, where did the shirt-less away fans go after half time? Seems a long way to go to ignore the football.....

WTF!

one slightly under hit back pass .... Everything else he did was solid.

To compensate for the under-hit pass he bailed Martina out in the first half. Coco was busy contesting the throw in while the ball was played down the left hand side. Could have been disastrous had Yosh not come across to cover.

We better agree to disagree then but he certainly wasn't poor either.

He is an accident waiting normally but one small mistake tonight doesn't mean I will agree with you. He had a good game .

More than one mate I had a clear view from chapel but ok. Good win anyway!

Thought the officials had a great game . pretty much all the decisions were spot on.VVD is top quality, expect a big bid for him next year. Romeu was impressive. The whole team did good.yoshi could score a hatrick every game and he'd still cop flak, he played far better than Fonte has this season.

Sadly, I missed it all because I was at work giving refunds to sad old gits who think that magic herbs will give them an erection.

However, while they were complaining about their floppy knobs, I did have the chance to follow text commentary, and while all those I spoke to remained flaccid, I do believe I chubbed up a little myself. Well done Saints!

For "three" read "his usual one". It's practically compulsory now. Still, Forster was out quicker than usual and got him out of it.

Anyway, I'd rather talk about the positives. Romeu and Højbjerg did well together, we got an early goal, and finally had the opportunity to show how well annoying defensive possession can work WHEN YOU ARE ALREADY LEADING.

Austin was still toss apart from the goals (but I guess that's OK) and looked absolutely knackered and stopped running for things for a huge chunk of the game. Thought there were a few "close" offsides but haven't seen it back yet.

Overall a lovely job, Van Dijk striding forward is glorious and his covering play superb. Hopefully next summer's recruitment will be a new partner for him, not a new centre back pairing.

Thought the officials had a great game . pretty much all the decisions were spot on.VVD is top quality, expect a big bid for him next year. Romeu was impressive. The whole team did good.yoshi could score a hatrick every game and he'd still cop flak, he played far better than Fonte has this season.

I thought our penalty was both comical and not given by anyone who didn't have a TV screen in front of them (the stickman appeared to indicate it but Austin was debating it with him when the ref pointed to the spot so God knows who actually told the ref to give it, the lino didn't.

Good win.

Opponents were poor and I am grateful for that.

My guess is that the penalty was Tadic's to take judging by the comments post match from Austin and Puel. So I will lay off him for arguing about it.

On the basis there was no beer for sale in the home end, and therefore probably no beer in the away end, where did the shirt-less away fans go after half time? Seems a long way to go to ignore the football.....

Maybe they just put their shirts on?

Just got back.

Sparta were shîte!!!

Thought we played well, controlled the game.

Thoughts:

Penalty argument - wtf was that?

Yoshi was awful - really bad

Tadic / long had a quiet game

VvD was exceptional

Martina is not a great defender but made some quality crosses

Very happy all in all. Glad we avoided the rain.

Apart from one back pass I thought Yoshida had a very good game

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Such mixed comments in this thread and those criticising Yoshida are puzzling.

Penalty incident was pathetic.

Only once did a player dribble around a Sparta player. (Gone are the old fashion wingers we used to have.

VVD is a fantastic player.

When will Austin learn to stay onside?

Long needs to be that last man and not stick on the flanks so much.

Martina over Soares any day.

Some dirty tackles tonight including the one on Martina and JWP.

Atmosphere good first half.

I thought Puel could of freshened it up on the 60 minute mark where we started to lose control of the game.

Who's that supporter in the Northam who walks around like he owns the place. Wears a basketball shirt.

Love our European shirt if only it never had the bra.

I thought our penalty was both comical and not given by anyone who didn't have a TV screen in front of them (the stickman appeared to indicate it but Austin was debating it with him when the ref pointed to the spot so God knows who actually told the ref to give it, the lino didn't.

I have no idea either except for the yellow assistant behind the goal line who gestured to one of their players by lifting his folded left arm to indicate that there was a gesture towards the ball, or that the arm was not in a natural position. I guess that someone had asked him what it was given for but this does not necessarily mean that the decision had come from him. The ref had given a corner initially. I thought he had a very good game.

maybe, but then they sat in different seats in the second half, coz there was a big void (well perhaps a 20 seat void) where they had been in the first half.

I'd like to think they left to take in some of Southampton's highlights having realised their team were going to lose.

Something had been 'going on' in the away end but the steward in the north car park wouldn't say what. The PA in the Kingsland was crap as usual. Were they speaking in Czech all evening?

Something had been 'going on' in the away end but the steward in the north car park wouldn't say what. The PA in the Kingsland was crap as usual. Were they speaking in Czech all evening?

They did put announcements out in English and Czech. The first one was in English and along the lines of "would all Sparta supporters please remain in their places at the end of the game until given further instructions from security". The second message in Czech was, "would all Sparta supporters collect their chicken from the station after the game". I think that's what they said, but my Czech skills are a bit ****.

Think the Northam can claim that one. One of the best shouts I have heard for a pen. From the Kingsland I thought WOW that's a big shout for a corner!!

Though the Ref was excellent bit of a change from Saturday. Think I read on here earlier today someone suggesting we get a few foreigners in the Prem!

Cheers

Alan

He may well have. They've got comms kits, he was never going to stick his flag in the air.

What an awful game of football. Sparta were absolute ****e, but you can only beat what is put in front of you. Still we looked shabby at times, Romeu in the first half especially was absolutely awful, Targett was skinned so many times, Long was dreadful and Tadic was a complete and utter waste of space (should have been taken off as soon as the bust up with Austin was sorted because he clearly sulked for the rest of the time he was on). Hojbjerg is a class player, and Chaz at least looked sharp tonight. JWP bimbled about as usual, doing nothing of any note (funniest moment was when he went haring after the Prague player, who must have been cacking himself knowing JWP was coming for him). VVD holds it all together brilliantly. Forster made a brilliant save. I haven't mentioned Yoshida, what was he thinking about with that back pass. Tadic and Charlie arguing over the penalty, don't care who was right and wrong that just should not happen. I won't pass much comment on Martina either, good cross, but defensively he continues to be absolutely woeful. Seriously if people think that was a great performance then God help us, because it wasn't.

Fantastic- how we all needed that! Well done Saints. Brilliant Charlie, Martina and JayRod, the three players whose future at Saints has been uncertain. Puel praises the strength of the squad which is deserved, but why did he want to sell Cuco and send Jay out on loan?

just watched the game as been at work

firstly,how the **** was that a penalty?

great to see Austin playing and showing he should be in on sunday

martina so much better than cedric

not the greatest game saints have played but what a good win and a clean sheet.

romeu my motm

onwards and upwards

lets hope the inter tickets make members

Can we clear up exactly what was being chanted because I sure as hell heard "There's only one Ronald Koeman" also being sung twice?

What are we all mixing it up with?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I think you mixed it up with theirs only one Marcus leibherr that was sung twice. The only Koeman reference was who the f*ck is Ronald Koeman after our first goal

Can we clear up exactly what was being chanted because I sure as hell heard "There's only one Ronald Koeman" also being sung twice?

What are we all mixing it up with?

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

You heard that. I heard that. The muppets in the Northam were a disgrace. Definitely more class on the pitch than off it tonight.

Good performance. Martina and Austin should start Sunday.

I agree: Martina and Austin should start. They were outstanding tonight. It was just about a perfect game with a very good atmosphere too. The Europa League should be our priority this season, and judging from tonight's results we could even win it.

Just a quick post after getting home at 20 past midnight. This is for Griffo - the Southern Railway service is far worse than last year... The train - the last train of the night, which should have got me bak to my station just after 11, was cancelled. This was the last train of the night for my station and it it was effing cancelled. I managed to get to an intermediate station and then a taxi. There were other Saints fans on board who were going even further than me, and they were in deep sh*t. So don't tell us again we should "all be ashamed for not filling the ground" or I'll put you in a room with the MD of Southern Railways and leave you there until ... not sure, killed each other, possibly.