The Tadic Austin penalty dust up

Fitzhugh Fella

JWP doesn't seem to be getting a mentioned a lot here, if i recall, without instructions from the new manager, JWP was confirmed as number 1 dead ball taker last season(including penalties) and tadic was named number 2 and JWP was on the pitch.

I haven't seen anyone directly say who was designated taker so i'm taking from Virgil moving Tadic away from the pen it was either a lack of organisation from the management in respect to penalty takers or a honest rookie mistake as captain by Virgil just trying to calm the situation

Whole penalty was comical all round. CA was still trying to persuade the-official-on-the-goal-ine-whose-official-title-escapes-me that it was handball only to find the ref had awarded it behind his back. Then the CA/DT spat. Easy to say with hindsight that it doesn't matter but if same incident had happened while we were losing and was missed there would be plenty of "WTF is going on" chants and calls for Puel to sort the team out.

Reckon CA was so keen to claim it as being so early in the game he still had the legs for the run up.

If I was skipper I'd have made them rock/paper/scissors for it.

JWP doesn't seem to be getting a mentioned a lot here, if i recall, without instructions from the new manager, JWP was confirmed as number 1 dead ball taker last season(including penalties) and tadic was named number 2 and JWP was on the pitch.

I haven't seen anyone directly say who was designated taker so i'm taking from Virgil moving Tadic away from the pen it was either a lack of organisation from the management in respect to penalty takers or a honest rookie mistake as captain by Virgil just trying to calm the situation

Virgil did what a captain should. Made a decision and sorted the situation.

I haven't seen it, only heard about it in the match report.

I would like to think it is more down to the circumstances rather than there being any genuine rift, but who knows.

But Austin has had a really quiet start to the season, my guess is that his eyes lit up at the chance to get our European campaign off to a good start and bag his first of the season. He is a striker who has scored loads of goals wherever he's played; for a variety of reasons that hasn't happened so far. Pens are a quick-fire way to sort that out for a striker!

I am old enough to remember Mick Channon and Eric Martin once having a fight in the Archers Rd penalty area c 1970, but I have got to say the prolonged dispute between Tadic and Austin as to who took tonight's penalty was more embarrassing and the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever seen from Southampton players. Tadic was way out of line...his petulance went on and on and continued even after van Dijk tried to drag him away. I don't know why he should make such a scene, but the whole episode smacked of disorganisation, poor management and a ego out of control. How Austin kept his concentration I don't know but he took a great pen considering a colleague had undermined him so much beforehand. Tadic has great skill, but tonight he really let himself down and the club. Sorry I know there are plenty of Tadic lovers out there but for me his tantrum went way beyond acceptable limits.

Pathetic. All you do is slag him off. He was penalty taker last year so can see his point. Change the record mate.

a honest rookie mistake as captain by Virgil just trying to calm the situation

Virgil did the right thing IMO. Austin, having taken possession of the ball (rightly or wrongly), was in the dominant position and if Virgil had tried to move Austin away it would have ended up more farcical than it did. Moving Tadic away was the more pragmatic approach in the circumstances.

You didn't need to hear Austins comments, you could have worked it out yourself. There were only two people fighting for the ball, Austin who thought he had earned the penalty, so the other one must have been the designated penalty taker, who was Tadic you know the guy that normally takes the penalties. It went on for so long because neither backed down and credit should be given to Tadic for not carrying it on afterwards. Two guys wanted to take it, one did, it was scored they all moved on.

You have let your dislike of Tadic make a bit of a fool out of you.

I am not his greatest fan I accept and one of the reasons I criticise him is his petulance which was just plain embarrassing last night. But I am honest enough to admit when on form he is an extremely creative outlet for us and is very skilful and worthy of being first name on the team sheet. However he is very erratic and because of that very frustrating. Last night he should have run the show being the ablest player on the park, but he was pretty anonymous. We need a raring-to-go Tadic this season showing his end of season form but it aint happening yet.

I am not his greatest fan I accept and one of the reasons I criticise him is his petulance which was just plain embarrassing last night. But I am honest enough to admit when on form he is an extremely creative outlet for us and is very skilful and worthy of being first name on the team sheet. However he is very erratic and because of that very frustrating. Last night he should have run the show being the ablest player on the park, but he was pretty anonymous. We need a raring-to-go Tadic this season showing his end of season form but it aint happening yet.

Petulance for you, standing his ground for me... think you need to get off his case and accept him for what he is.

Below is from the teamtalk review - interesting that he says he'll be doing it from now on. I'm with Chaz on this one I think, Tadic has taken some decidedly average penalties:

Before converting the first-half penalty, Austin had a brief argument with Dusan Tadic about who would take the spot-kick.

Austin added: “As a centre-forward I think I should take the penalties.

“I’ve come here full of confidence, even though I’ve not scored.

“I put the ball on the spot and luckily it gave us a 1-0 (lead).

“I think it was a bit silly from me and Dusan but I’ll take the penalties in future.”

(http://www.teamtalk.com/news/it-was-a-special-night-for-me-charlie-austin)

So the centre forward has to take the penalties? How old are these people? The last time I heard something like that was in the school playground.

What are you on about? He wasn't in the game throughout last night but still had some class moments. He's been our best attacking player this season.

I am old enough to remember Mick Channon and Eric Martin once having a fight in the Archers Rd penalty area c 1970, but I have got to say the prolonged dispute between Tadic and Austin as to who took tonight's penalty was more embarrassing and the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever seen from Southampton players. Tadic was way out of line...his petulance went on and on and continued even after van Dijk tried to drag him away. I don't know why he should make such a scene, but the whole episode smacked of disorganisation, poor management and a ego out of control. How Austin kept his concentration I don't know but he took a great pen considering a colleague had undermined him so much beforehand. Tadic has great skill, but tonight he really let himself down and the club. Sorry I know there are plenty of Tadic lovers out there but for me his tantrum went way beyond acceptable limits.

Looking for problems that aren't there again. It you watch the highlights Tadic went over to Austin smiling and put his arm round him. You badly want this season to go tits up don't you ?

Are you every happy Fitz? You don't like the way we're run, you don't like the current or any other owner we've had, you don't like the manager, you seemly don't like many of the players. Now after a decent win all that's on your mind is making it into a pop at your least favorite player, which is some achievement from Tadic by the way.

Every silver lining has a cloud in your world it seems. I thought history was written by the victors? Doesn't seem to apply in your case now does it. Surely any modern history book you'll ever right on the club will be the biggest tale of woe since Juliet and her Romeo.

My post was written before Austin's comments so he should shoulder some blame, but interestingly when the ref initially blew I saw JWP stride forward just before Austin grabbed the ball, so I am unsure Tadic was the designated taker. Yes it all ended on a positive note, thanks to Austin's nerve holding but the spectacle was like something you see in the playground and it went on far too long. Not something you would see under Pochetto's regime dare I suggest?

no poccetinhioio would never have presided over any unprofessional behaviour. on another topic, anyone see the Spurs Chelsea game last season, now there is an example of real unprofessional behaviour, with a danger to limb as well.

Duncan,

I was designated penalty taker in most of my teams during my (now distant) playing days. If we got awarded a penalty and some other teammate unilaterally decided he was taking it I would NOT walk back to the edge of penalty area totally resigned to that without at the very least getting an explanation or new instruction from skipper/manager. But in that situations you have to bear in mind a striker like Austin who knows there's a penalty awarded is like a shark that's sensed blood in the water...you gear up to kill not to go to sleep.......if you not scored for a while been a bit injured a while that need to score is like an obsession overriding normal thinking processes sometimes...and thats what think happened...he gopt the blood lust...

So- yes in that situation last night, to you, Tadic might seem disgracefully petulant and appearing NOT to be a team player by arguing over it - but NO designated penalty taker should ever be afraid to step up ~ and that's what Tadic did. If Tadic goes away without stepping up he's NOT the designated penalty taker nor is he an instinctive penalty taker sensing blood in the water. You can see that Austin is probably NOT the designated penalty taker and that Tadic clearly thinks he IS because of that scene.

What's not been mentioned is Austin mouthing "My pen, my pen" as his explanation to Tadic's obvious bemused quizzing whilst he shields the ball. That's quite funny and revealing. It's schoolboy schoolyard rules ~ if you got the pen you can take the pen. Austin was talking back to basics football language in a key high pressure moment to his non-english first language colleague.

Perhaps what was most impressive was the skipper sorting it out so directly. That's a natural leader for you. VVD saw the situation and instantly summed up that it was better to let Charlie take the pen than to pull him off it and let Dusan have it. Proved why he is a worthy captain in that one decision. IF Dusan were designated penalty taker I'd expect skipper to know that. And in that instance by pulling Tadic off the pen VVD's actions were a supreme act of authority imposition and evidence of great decision making ability under pressure which may reverberate beyond this match ~ because I think we all are aware that he is lined up as Fonte's successor as skipper.

VVD got it right because Charlie scored, but I think if I was VVD I would be having a chat with them two in private after the match, with advice from Jose and Puel. VVD sensed Austins need to score was more important that Dusan's. He was probably right as long as Dusan did not sulk, which would have taken a massive effort of will not to as the call obviously hurts his pride and hes very much a passion player. Work to do to sort that out! Luckily but not unexpectedly from a top International player on mega wages Dusan's professionalism was evident even if it wasn't his best game.

ION : I liked Austin's guts, his blood lust to score, the ballsiness of the situation and I liked the composure and execution of that penalty in that extra pressure backdrop and the desperate to score indicators it emitted. He proved himself in true gladiatorial spirit in the arena. That has lit the touchpaper for his goalscoring season i believe because if it has'nt nothing will (as long as we play full backs who will cross the ball often like Martina who out-crossed Targett 5 to 1 - Lukaku must be wishing he had Martina crossing for him ....! )

Which brings us onto that subject of style of play - If we play wingers who want to dribble around 3 players every time Charlie is not going to score much. If you give him the ball in the penalty area often though he will score. I like tricky wingers and players who are technically gifted but i hope Puel took note that our two/three most effective players were Austin, Martina and Romeu, and these are three of our most direct style of players- more vertical than horizontal...!

Anyhow, give Tadic a break he was not wrong but it should end up well!

Considering Tadic very happily ran over to Austin after he scored I doubt there is much issue about it.

At a guess I'd say there was some confusion because all of the penalty taking candidates, Tadic, JWP and Austin are not guaranteed starters and this caused confusion.

Minor thing though and I'm sure Puel will settle on a strict order to avoid it happening again.

RK definitely announced that JWP would be first choice when he was on the pitch, though not much point in having a first choice from the spot who doesn't start. Austin took them for QPR, and he definitely strikes the ball better than Tadic, so even if he wasn't supposed to take it, Austin probably did us a favour by insisting it was his.

All this hand wringing over the incident is way over the top if you ask me. Two players desperately wanted to take a penalty, they had a little disagreement over it, captain intervenes, Austin takes and scores the penalty and BOTH players celebrate together ....nothing to see here.

Penalties and free kicks even corners should be agreed prior to KO and the managers decisions on this needs to be respected or we will see repeats of last night.

You can't simply decide who takes a pen as we go - even at u12s football kids would know who the penalty taker is.

Just glad he scored - imagine the fuss if he missed it and we went on to lose

Austin is to blame. Whoever is designated takes the penalty. Complete rubbish to blame Tadic. It's only unprofessional to rob the designated taker of the ball and insist you're taking the pen. Tadic had every right to be fuming and any player would have been in his situation.

I do wonder sometimes if some fans have anything going on upstairs. If you don't understand football and designated pen taker then keep quiet. Maybe it's just down to Tadic being Serbian so he's getting the stick over the Englishman

What a lot of people seem to have missed is that.. (aside from last night's episode)....we NEED at least three or four "designated " penalty-takers in the squad.

With the squad being rotated as it (seemingly) will be, we'll need more players capable of putting the ball in the net ....and against international class goalies.

If that penalty had been... in the last five minutes and not the first ..Tadic would already have been subbed, and so for that matter....would Charlie Austin, too.

Fortunately JWP has shown he can score from such situations, so perhaps he might have taken it ....or maybe JayRod would have got the job?

We think back to those sorrowful tournaments in the last 25 years when, in a penalty shoot-out, England were incapable of finding 5 players who could carry out the task.

Although easy to condemn those past "failures", it may not be totally their fault....as with the influx of overseas stars...(currently +/- 60% of Prem.players)...those "designated player" may be good at the job, but don't happen to be English. Then, when it comes to international "shoot-outs " - we're struggling to find volunteers.

Tadic has proven a success in the past ..(has he missed one yet?)...but it needs players (like Austin) who aren't afraid to step up to the spot..and do the job.

.... or as Matthew Le Tissier said (in interview) on his career tally...." I didn't mind taking penalties, I enjoyed them ..because I wanted to do it !" No fear there.

Let's hope we can find a few more players, who...in an important situation..also want to do the job.

Edited by david in sweden

Tadic shouldn't be on penalties, every single one I have seen him take has been poor.

Austin or JWP should take them.

Every single one has been poor, yet he's only missed one for us? Do me a favour.

Think we've been spoilt for penalty takers in the past with MLT, Rickie and Beattie.

Looking for problems that aren't there again. It you watch the highlights Tadic went over to Austin smiling and put his arm round him. You badly want this season to go tits up don't you ?

No not really having just lashed out well over a grand to attend the three away games in Europe why would I want failure?

Every single one has been poor, yet he's only missed one for us? Do me a favour.

Think we've been spoilt for penalty takers in the past with MLT, Rickie and Beattie.

Can still score and it be a poor penalty :rolleyes: like Cazorla's against us on Saturday.

JWP's have been much better, haven't seen Tadic get one right in the corner yet.....Wouldn't trust him with them myself.

Are you every happy Fitz? You don't like the way we're run, you don't like the current or any other owner we've had, you don't like the manager, you seemly don't like many of the players. Now after a decent win all that's on your mind is making it into a pop at your least favorite player, which is some achievement from Tadic by the way.

Every silver lining has a cloud in your world it seems. I thought history was written by the victors? Doesn't seem to apply in your case now does it. Surely any modern history book you'll ever right on the club will be the biggest tale of woe since Juliet and her Romeo.

As usual Turkish you are talking horse s**t. I do like the way we are run, it's the best its ever been in my lifetime I would say, so don't know why you should make that allegation. As for the manager if you can find one anti post of mine re Puel then please do. I am determined to give him time. I think the penalty incident says our players were not well briefed but perhaps the communication channels are not working yet. As for Tadic, no I don't like the way he plays. I don't like his petulance (if you watch towards the end of the 1st half when he pathetically feigns a back injury after barely being touched that is a perfect example of this weakness). I would get rid unless he buckles down and gives us some consistently and prolonged performances we know he is capable of. Sorry I thought this was a forum where different views are debated without you trying to pigeon hole every poster into one side or other. You really are a strange person at times.

Can still score and it be a poor penalty :rolleyes: like Cazorla's against us on Saturday.

JWP's have been much better, haven't seen Tadic get one right in the corner yet.....Wouldn't trust him with them myself.

Cazorla, sending the keeper the wrong way and comfortably scoring, is a poor penalty? Right'o.

'Multi-millionaire footballers having a hissy fit over a penalty' shocker....

CA would've looked a monumental t*sser had he not converted it TBH.

DT looked like a monumental t*sser because he didn't stop acting like a 5yo.

----

So, in conclusion, I can safely say that they were both monumental t*ssers at the time.

Judge Channon endeth the sermon.