The Tadic Austin penalty dust up

Fitzhugh Fella

I am old enough to remember Mick Channon and Eric Martin once having a fight in the Archers Rd penalty area c 1970, but I have got to say the prolonged dispute between Tadic and Austin as to who took tonight's penalty was more embarrassing and the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever seen from Southampton players. Tadic was way out of line...his petulance went on and on and continued even after van Dijk tried to drag him away. I don't know why he should make such a scene, but the whole episode smacked of disorganisation, poor management and a ego out of control. How Austin kept his concentration I don't know but he took a great pen considering a colleague had undermined him so much beforehand. Tadic has great skill, but tonight he really let himself down and the club. Sorry I know there are plenty of Tadic lovers out there but for me his tantrum went way beyond acceptable limits.

I am old enough to remember Mick Channon and Eric Martin once having a fight in the Archers Rd penalty area c 1970, but I have got to say the prolonged dispute between Tadic and Austin as to who took tonight's penalty was more embarrassing and the most unprofessional behaviour I have ever seen from Southampton players. Tadic was way out of line...his petulance went on and on and continued even after van Dijk tried to drag him away. I don't know why he should make such a scene, but the whole episode smacked of disorganisation, poor management and a ego out of control. How Austin kept his concentration I don't know but he took a great pen considering a colleague had undermined him so much beforehand. Tadic has great skill, but tonight he really let himself down and the club. Sorry I know there are plenty of Tadic lovers out there but for me his tantrum went way beyond acceptable limits.

Austin has admitted he wasnt supposed to take penalty. So unfair to solely blame Tadic

By the sound of Austin's comments, Tadic was still the designated taker, so don't blame him for trying to stand his ground.

If Austin wants to be the penalty taker he should be earning it on the training ground, not stealing it when we actually get one.

I'm just glad he actually scored it after all that and it didn't cost us.

My in-game rant was aimed at Tadic.

Looking at the post match comments, Austin and Puel seems to lean towards Tadic being the named penalty taker. So, Austin needs to be rapped across the knuckles and more importantly, the captain(s) needs to be told, that designated penalty taker means just that. VVD should be rappped across his knuckles for not letting Tadic take it.

Shambolic though really in a professional, very very very well paid sport.

I remember one game last year or the year before when Mane wanted to take a pen after he was brought down, but Fonte took him to one side and let the designated person take it (I think it was JWP, which would help narrow down the match in question). Fonte deserved MOTM purely for that on that day. Maybe I am misremembering but I think this is where having Fonte on would have made a difference. Except Austin scored. So I have no point to make here. It's good to have people WANTING to take pens I suppose!

I remember one game last year or the year before when Mane wanted to take a pen after he was brought down, but Fonte took him to one side and let the designated person take it (I think it was JWP, which would help narrow down the match in question). Fonte deserved MOTM purely for that on that day. Maybe I am misremembering but I think this is where having Fonte on would have made a difference. Except Austin scored. So I have no point to make here. It's good to have people WANTING to take pens I suppose!

Yep, our 2-0 win vs Hull in 2014-15 season

A really sour point in otherwise positive night

Not feeling the team love and togetherness like in previous seasons. Feels like a team with a few individuals desperate for there big move to one of the top 7

It was a real low point, wasn't it pal. It's the kind of division you could see festering and spreading if results weren't going our way. Something to monitor closely.

Mixed feelings here.

Not great to see the structure of the team being undermined by an ego. But, some of the best strikers have that about them, a swagger of confidence and effect. With Pelle gone we need someone to step up and lead the line properly. If Austin is to get his way, may he make the best of it.

Edited by Colinjb

A really sour point in otherwise positive night

Not feeling the team love and togetherness like in previous seasons. Feels like a team with a few individuals desperate for there big move to one of the top 7

Not great trolling Glasgow. You've lost your game of late :(

I thought this was going to get brought up.

Here goes, as a sportsman, I think it's fkin brilliant we have players competitive, hungry and confident in moments of pressure to want to step up. This applies to both Austin and Tadic tonight. I hope the majority of our fanbase think this.

I hope there is 4 or 5 players in training aggressively gunning to be our pen taker.

It sets the culture of perform because someone wants your spot throughout the team. That's exactly the culture we need, its not petulance its ruthless competition and something we have been crying out for... PASSION

I also think it's embarrassing how OP assumed this was Tadic fault... Surely should admit mistake?

Rant over. Great result. COYS. Bring in Swansea.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Below is from the teamtalk review - interesting that he says he'll be doing it from now on. I'm with Chaz on this one I think, Tadic has taken some decidedly average penalties:

Before converting the first-half penalty, Austin had a brief argument with Dusan Tadic about who would take the spot-kick.

Austin added: “As a centre-forward I think I should take the penalties.

“I’ve come here full of confidence, even though I’ve not scored.

“I put the ball on the spot and luckily it gave us a 1-0 (lead).

“I think it was a bit silly from me and Dusan but I’ll take the penalties in future.”

(http://www.teamtalk.com/news/it-was-a-special-night-for-me-charlie-austin)

I'm old enough to remember when the same thing happened with Sadio Mane and James Ward-Prowse in 2015 but what we saw today was simply disgraceful. Maybe Tadic is a bit anxious because he knows that colder weather and even a sprinkling of snow is around the corner?

rather have players fighting to score for us than players not being bothered at all.......

Yep. 2 players desperate to take the pen, and confident too. Stand in skipper sorting things out sharpish. Austin banging it away then half apologising for being a knob and saying it's been sorted. Puel saying he'll have a word.

Don't see the issue.

Classic Fitzhugh Fella. Overreacting, not actually waiting until he hears the full story and blaming both the management and foreign flair player. Clearly Austin at fault, could even see that as it was happening everyone knows Tadic is the penalty taker.

My thoughts exactly silly old dinosaur

I must say two poster fighting to be the most outraged about this is pathetic, standard behaviour for Glasgow the troll and FHF must have been rubbing his hands after the penalty at the opportunity for having a go at Tadic. A historian ignoring the facts to portray a personal bias, the bitter old drama queen should be embarrassed.

My post was written before Austin's comments so he should shoulder some blame, but interestingly when the ref initially blew I saw JWP stride forward just before Austin grabbed the ball, so I am unsure Tadic was the designated taker. Yes it all ended on a positive note, thanks to Austin's nerve holding but the spectacle was like something you see in the playground and it went on far too long. Not something you would see under Pochetto's regime dare I suggest?

Austin shouldn't have just grabbed the ball like that. Tadic is the designated penalty taker. If he wants to take pens then he needs to earn that right. Tadic had every reason to be ****ed and if I was Puel i'd be having a word with Austin.

That said, i'd rather pens were given to Charlie anyway.

My post was written before Austin's comments so he should shoulder some blame, but interestingly when the ref initially blew I saw JWP stride forward just before Austin grabbed the ball, so I am unsure Tadic was the designated taker. Yes it all ended on a positive note, thanks to Austin's nerve holding but the spectacle was like something you see in the playground and it went on far too long. Not something you would see under Pochetto's regime dare I suggest?

You didn't need to hear Austins comments, you could have worked it out yourself. There were only two people fighting for the ball, Austin who thought he had earned the penalty, so the other one must have been the designated penalty taker, who was Tadic you know the guy that normally takes the penalties. It went on for so long because neither backed down and credit should be given to Tadic for not carrying it on afterwards. Two guys wanted to take it, one did, it was scored they all moved on.

You have let your dislike of Tadic make a bit of a fool out of you.

Tadic is a poor penalty taker IMO and it should be the centre forward on the pitch.

Was it v Arsenal where he took a terrible one?

Although I think Austin was at fault last night not Dusan and I do slightly then worry about CA ego in the post match interview... I'm more comfortable with CA taking pens than Dusan.

I think you are referring to the game at Turf moor two years ago .. Awful pen from Tadic

It would be good if Austin could concentrate on staying on-side, it is not that he is so quick that he confuses the officials Papa Wago style. Some of his off-sides last night were as embarrassing as the spat over the penalty.

I am happy for players to be competitive over wanting to take the penalties, but that should be sorted out on the training ground, not on the pitch where it could easily go wrong. Whilst I was not happy with Austins attitude last night, Tadic does have form, I also seem to remember spats with JWP over who should take various free-kicks.