Austin

thorpie the sinner

At the moment I think Austin is a really good Championship Striker but at the moment is not a really good PL striker because PL defenders are so good

weirdo

He has scored 28 goals in 67 PL appearances that's about 1 goal every 2.3 games that's pretty decent for a championship striker.

what is that, 29 in his last 69?

probably more impressive if you just counted starts

Great that he scored, but countless offsides, it was like having Shane Long on the pitch.

Offsides aren't necessarily a strikers fault, the runs need to be timed. If a striker makes a run and the mid delivers the ball too late, its going to be offsides. So the offside stuff doesn't bother me. Think about it, who else on the squad was worrying Howe? I guarantee you that every time Charlie got near the ball he held his breath, and relaxed when someone else got control. What's important is not the pace he has (he isn't quick I'll give you that, he definitely needs to get a head of steam going), but the facts that he 1)scores consistently, 2) creates chances continually (because no one scores on all their chances), and 3) plays good hold up play. 3 goals in 2 matches, he gives us a chance and a spark. Yes I know that he isn't quick or agile, but he brings other things.

Incredible that both Puel and Pellegrino refused to pick him when they first arrived, almost like it was a last resort. He may not be a fashionable type of player but he knows how to stick the ball in the net

I think its totally that. These days forwards are expected to be all action speed merchants, ideally with some silky ball skills, that can create their own chances. Austin, is a bit of a throwback, stick him in the box create chances for him to finish and he will score and at the end of the day that's what you want from a centre forward.

I think its totally that. These days forwards are expected to be all action speed merchants, ideally with some silky ball skills, that can create their own chances. Austin, is a bit of a throwback, stick him in the box create chances for him to finish and he will score and at the end of the day that's what you want from a centre forward.

Not sure it’s that - more the fact that the game has moved away from 4-4-2 towards a lone striker who’s expected to carry more of the offensive and defensive burden outside the box.

Probably why the likes of Dzeko and Giroud were/are consistently dropped to the bench despite having very good goal records.

It's understandable with Austin not being that quick he needs to get an edge on CBs. Long is quick enough to beat a lot of defenders even if they have a head start he never needs to be offside.

If Long could score goals he'd may be a fairly good striker

I really like Charlie Austin. He's not only a great goal scorer, fixated on scoring goals and winning games but he's also a hard man who roughs up and unsettles opposition defenders: the exact opposite, if you will, of James Ward-Prowse.

Agree, he also has a bit of charisma about him which I think is good for the dressing room, he is one of the few players whose interviews I actually enjoy listening to.

He may not be the most mobile but a striker's main job is to score goals and Austin does that. The only games I would leave him out for are the likes of City away where we need a bit more pace up top t hit n the break, otherwise he has to start most games for me.

Spot on - Look at Kane. Yes he probably has a bit more about him that Austin and offers a bit more outside the box than charlie does (hence why he's playing to Tottenham and not us), but he is a very similar sort of player.

I still think Austin can do more to get fitter and become a better player (like Lambert did and went up a couple of levels), but I also think we need to change / adapt our style (which in fairness it looks like we have done) to accommodate him.

Half agree, half don't! If you provide the ammo for him, he will finish. The problem with us for the first ten games or so is that we never actually looked like being able to do that. We need to create chances for him and have more players than just him in the box - we weren't doing that.

The commentators yesterday commented more than once that 'Austin is not going to get that', in that he is never going to run away from somebody, create and finish himself.

Happy to play him if we play to his strengths and provide for him. If we're not going to do that then don't expect him to score too many 'worldys' to win games for us.

Incredible that both Puel and Pellegrino refused to pick him when they first arrived, almost like it was a last resort. He may not be a fashionable type of player but he knows how to stick the ball in the net

Puel first started him in the third league game of the season (and he had come on as a sub in both previous games) so you can't accuse him of refusing to play him.

Agree, he also has a bit of charisma about him which I think is good for the dressing room, he is one of the few players whose interviews I actually enjoy listening to.

He may not be the most mobile but a striker's main job is to score goals and Austin does that. The only games I would leave him out for are the likes of City away where we need a bit more pace up top t hit n the break, otherwise he has to start most games for me.

Quite, maybe not away to top 4 and not if we have midweek games but should be starting more than he is. Less likely he'll be sold in Jan now.

Indeed, and Charlie got the winner that day as well as the opener in a tremendous performance all-round at W Ham (even JWP scored!)

Puel must regret repeating Les's BS in public about Redmond as a centre-forward like that - bet he won't be making that mistake at Leicester.

Is it just me who sees a bit of Teddy Sheringham in Austin? Not the quickest player in the world, although I think Austin is quicker than he looks and quicker than Clever Teddy, but reads the game well and gets that yard of space in the box that allows him to score.

Is it just me who sees a bit of Teddy Sheringham in Austin? Not the quickest player in the world, although I think Austin is quicker than he looks and quicker than Clever Teddy, but reads the game well and gets that yard of space in the box that allows him to score.

Teddy Sheringham offered much more outside the box. He could drop deep and link up play. Frankly he's more similar to Alan Shearer, though not as good.

More Ted MacDougall than Sheringham. Limited outside the box but stick him anywhere near that 6 yard box and more iften than not he’ll get you a goal.

It was good to see both for Everton and Bournemouth games that ball was being put in the area from out wide a lot more. Playing to a strikers strengths - about bloody time

Another thing you get with Austin is that he's a big lad and he'll put himself about a bit. Defenders know he's a good finisher so they can't give him space in the box but they also know they'll be in a physical battle too. Long is a pest too but without the real physicality. Hopefully Charlie can stay fit & go on a decent scoring run now he's in the side.

Spot on - Look at Kane. Yes he probably has a bit more about him that Austin and offers a bit more outside the box than charlie does (hence why he's playing to Tottenham and not us), but he is a very similar sort of player.

Have you ever heard anyone describe Kane as a traditional or old-fashioned centre forward, as they do Austin, Carroll et al? Pundits love to celebrate those types, but with all the millions of words written about Kane it's never said, cuz it ain't true. Try Llorente if you want a Spurs player, though he's a little less poacher, a little more target man.

Anyway, Austin's confident and on song so he's got to play, but it'll require a bit of tactical adaptation and we may see his limitations in some games.

Edited by DuncanRG

Not sure its been mentioned and I don't know the stats to back this up but I feel like the midfielders especially have confidence in him. I have certainly felt like they have been more direct and willing to release the ball into areas rather than waiting and waiting for the perfect ball for Long or Gabbi.

Not sure its been mentioned and I don't know the stats to back this up but I feel like the midfielders especially have confidence in him. I have certainly felt like they have been more direct and willing to release the ball into areas rather than waiting and waiting for the perfect ball for Long or Gabbi.

Very good point. Difficult to prove but looks that way. Is a more selfless runner off the ball, one feels. Also, bit of a laugh, which helps morale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good point. Difficult to prove but looks that way. Is a more selfless runner off the ball, one feels. Also, bit of a laugh, which helps morale

Hopefully, the midfielders did not have confidence in Long and Gabbi but now have more confidence in Austin. Hopefully, the midfielders (e.g. Redmond, Boufal and Tadic) were not selfish or were previously selfish but now realize that their shooting is at least not better than Austin and is now more willing to release the ball to Austin when Austin is in a better position to shoot.

Also, bit of a laugh, which helps morale

I think he's a good character for the team, always seems pretty confident and happy, always seems to be having a word with the other players, arm round the shoulder sort of stuff.

Also note the reaction of Austin in the second half when Bertrand gets to the byeline, and really should have just squared it to Austin for a tap in, but Bertrand screwed it up. Austin looked bemused but had a laugh on his face, I think other strikers in that situation would have had a go at Betrand, but Austin just laughs it off and then gives some encouragement to Bertrand, knowing that 9/10 he would have made that pass.

For me he is a quality striker, he can hold up the ball, he is a threat in the air, he's alert and quick round the box, and his all round play in the build up is much better than people give him credit for and crucially he is a good finisher.

Watching us play with him in the team, we look more threatening in the build up, like we did when Pelle was playing. We just seem to be able to play a bit quicker and bit more direct with him in the team.

According to Bertrand Charlie is currently fastest at the club !?

All strikers who score regularly at Premier League level have to be very fast over 5 to 10m or they wouldn't ever beat defenders to the ball. It's certainly not beyond the ralms of possibility that Austin is faster than Long over a short distance like that, even if he's not so fast over longer distances. He also accelerates when approaching the goal whereas Long tends to decelerate once he's reached the penalty area and starts looking around.

The short video with Bertie in it is well worth a watch. Especially if you think he's 'miserable'. It also points out who the Headmaster's 'pet' is, if you know what I mean (as per the video).

His answer to that question was possibly the most unsurprising of all time.

Austin is now our leading scorer even though he's played only 46% of the minutes of Gabbi & Long. Gabbi and Long have played about 680 minutes, Austin only 315. In general Austin scores a goal every 2 games, which is in line with what he did given a full PL run at QPR. There he had 18 over the course of the season. I also agree with the above folks who think the mids have more confidence when Austin is there. Again its hard to quantify and substantiate, but it does seem to be the case. They are very actively looking to fire balls into the box, seemingly confidence that eventually Austin will get on the end of one.

All strikers who score regularly at Premier League level have to be very fast over 5 to 10m or they wouldn't ever beat defenders to the ball. It's certainly not beyond the ralms of possibility that Austin is faster than Long over a short distance like that, even if he's not so fast over longer distances. He also accelerates when approaching the goal whereas Long tends to decelerate once he's reached the penalty area and starts looking around.

Agree with this. Austin isn't slow, he's just not as agile/quick as Long, etc. I think this is what rubs some people, and for some spots on the pitch is absolutely critical. However for a striker Austins good. He is making smart runs, and once he gets moving he is pretty fast (he just needs to get moving). Granted if we are going to ask our strikers to play some midfield too, then this will be an issue. This is one of the reasons I keep thinking Long would be a good midfielder. Austins game is having a good shot which is very accurate, playing well in the air, and tenacity in front of the net (good goal scorers all have this). When he senses a chance he is going 100% after it, regardless what is happening around him.

I find it astonishing that people can't spot a goalscorer - this is the kind of nonsense that FIFA and Sky have drummed into people - if you are not quick you can't cut it in the Prem. Utter garbage - football is about reading the game and speed over 5 or 10 yards. biggest change for me has been Bertrand suddenly attacking down the wing - he now knows that if he puts a decent ball in We may score, whereas before you could see his attitude was why bother busting a gut and getting out of position for a cross straight to a centre backs head !!!

I find it astonishing that people can't spot a goalscorer - this is the kind of nonsense that FIFA and Sky have drummed into people - if you are not quick you can't cut it in the Prem. Utter garbage - football is about reading the game and speed over 5 or 10 yards. biggest change for me has been Bertrand suddenly attacking down the wing - he now knows that if he puts a decent ball in We may score, whereas before you could see his attitude was why bother busting a gut and getting out of position for a cross straight to a centre backs head !!!

I've being saying it for more than a year, having a centre forward who can score goals lifts the whole team. In January we need to bring in another if possible, because Charlie can't be expected to be fit for all the season.

Not sure where the most relevant place to post this is, but just watched Bertrand's "team mate" video on the monthly newsletter. For the question "Quickest?" he says something about Austin "being on top at the moment" - guess there's some sort of speed trap competition they have going on. He does also make a joke about it being downhill for Austin to be winning, but perhaps he's not as slow as people like to make out?

Later in the interview quite a telling comment. "Oriol is currently the teacher's pet, but Prowsie is definitely, DEFINITELY the headmaster's pet, if you know what I mean..."

Edit: sorry just seen this has already been discussed on the previous page!

Edited by mrfahaji