Austin

thorpie the sinner

Overall, on the sort of money Austin takes home he has been a poor signing - he just isn't conditioned to the level required for a PL player hence having so many periods where he isn't selectable.

His injury has also disguised what an absolute tosser he was to a.) Needlessly kick a fellow pro in the head, totally unprovoked and b.) Do so when the team was reliant on him, and when after finally getting settled in team he then misses key games.

Have never fathomed why Saints fans seem to love him so much, he always comes across as a bit of a **** to me.

Funny you always come across as a **** to me every time you post

Rather than start a new thread, and with Austin looking like he is going to be out for a while, with Long and Gabbi not being able to be so prolific in front of goal maybe we should be looking to get Sam Gallagher out of the nightmare loan to Birmingham City, at least he has had some game time to keep him ticking over knows where the goal is and Can t be any worse than the inert striking options we have at the moment.....actually whoever decided sending him to Birmingham needs to be on a disciplinary for leaving us woefully short of options. Yes i know that under the current formation we only have one slot available for a striker.

Christ Charlie, you don`t like any players do you....
From what you see as people I like Davis, Hojbjerg, Romeu, Cedric and Long but a fair few seem like jerks, the same as in most squads of footballers.

Who else do you like?

Back to slagging off Austin again are we? Or should i say the usual faces slagging him off. Him getting a few starts and proving them wrong (like he needs to prove anything) kept them quiet but now he's out for a bit back they come to tell us how crap he really is.
Its not about his ability. In each of his three seasons here he has spent significant periods out injured. The type that make his 80k a week pretty average value.

I don't think he will make 15 PL starts in a single season for us.

Players like Tadic get continually slagged off here but he comes across as a model pro in terms of his fitness work and how he lives off the field. I don't think Austin does everything he can to be in the best possible shape, which on that sort of cash is a shame.

Then when the team is most reliant on him, to kick a goalkeeper in the head, unprovoked, is pretty poor. If a player like VVD and Bertrand had let the team down like that they would have got hammered for it.

By the time he recovers he will have earned more than most people on here will in 20 years. To think we pay him and Long about £150k a week combined is quite ridiculous.

#toplad #chas #backinapril

From what you see as people I like Davis, Hojbjerg, Romeu, Cedric and Long but a fair few seem like jerks, the same as in most squads of footballers.

Who else do you like?Its not about his ability. In each of his three seasons here he has spent significant periods out injured. The type that make his 80k a week pretty average value.

I don't think he will make 15 PL starts in a single season for us.

Players like Tadic get continually slagged off here but he comes across as a model pro in terms of his fitness work and how he lives off the field. I don't think Austin does everything he can to be in the best possible shape, which on that sort of cash is a shame.

Then when the team is most reliant on him, to kick a goalkeeper in the head, unprovoked, is pretty poor. If a player like VVD and Bertrand had let the team down like that they would have got hammered for it.

By the time he recovers he will have earned more than most people on here will in 20 years. To think we pay him and Long about £150k a week combined is quite ridiculous.

#toplad #chas #backinapril

I like most of the squad (allthough the liking bit is irrelevant) but won`t pointlessly slag any off either.

The highlighted bit is groundless speculation just based on your irrational dislike of him.

You no idea how he "looks" after himself, none at all

He’s worked his way up from the building site to the premier league and scored goals consistently. He scored the winner at OT within minutes of first wearing a Saints shirt and has always given 100%. I’ve never fathomed why some Saints fans don’t like him much, they come across as right ****s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More like he's a c**t but he's our c**t. You don't remember all the games against Swindon where he went out of his way to wind our players and fans up?

Edited by shurlock

If in form, Gabbi is much better player than Austin for me. Hopefully MP will be forced to play him for a few games and he can find some sort of form. When in the side earlier in the season the team was far less creative in terms of volume of chances than it at least seems to be now, so I'd expect him to bag a few if he gets the service.

I'm in the don't really like Austin much camp either. He does score goals, which is obviously key, but I think a lack of general fitness is unacceptable at this level and you can't argue that isnt an issue with him. Totally knackered by half time .

Also, while he has been finding the net, he has had some big misses too which are being overlooked but have actually cost us points against Bournemouth, Arsenal and Huddersfield. As well as a pretty incredible miss at 3-1 down to Leicester which actually could have changed the course of a game we were getting battered.

So, if Gabbi can find form, this might not be the end of the world. However, can't say I have any faith in the manager to actually help him do that. Playing Long, 34 games without a goal, will hardly help for a start.

Overall, on the sort of money Austin takes home he has been a poor signing - he just isn't conditioned to the level required for a PL player hence having so many periods where he isn't selectable.

His injury has also disguised what an absolute tosser he was to a.) Needlessly kick a fellow pro in the head, totally unprovoked and b.) Do so when the team was reliant on him, and when after finally getting settled in team he then misses key games.

Have never fathomed why Saints fans seem to love him so much, he always comes across as a bit of a **** to me.

You can't understand why football fans like their team's top scorer? Wow.

You can't understand why football fans like their team's top scorer? Wow.

Don't remember Stern John, Ricardo Fuller, Rasiak, David McGoldrick or even Mane being particularly liked, do you pal? Pelle did much more for the club than Austin has done yet was never cut the same slack by the fans.

Edited by shurlock

Don't remember Stern John, Ricardo Fuller, Rasiak, David McGoldrick or even Mane being particularly liked, do you pal? Pelle did much more for the club than Austin has done yet was never cut the same slack by the fans.

What makes you think he is liked more than those? Cos of a simple chant like Tadic gets after doing fck all. I thought most didn’t rate him but there is an element of old school footballer from the lower leagues that makes him more relatable I guess

More like he's a c**t but he's our c**t. You don't remember all the games against Swindon where he went out of his way to wind our players and fans up?

Just shows a bit of character. Remember Glenn Murray doing same. All part of the panto and arrogance. Game better for it IMO.

What makes you think he is liked more than those? Cos of a simple chant like Tadic gets after doing fck all. I thought most didn’t rate him but there is an element of old school footballer from the lower leagues that makes him more relatable I guess

Well I can tell you that many of those players were positively disliked, despite being top scorers. Pelle is slightly different: while alot of people liked him, he also polarised opinion - see how many critical threads were started on him here in a way that has never happened with Austin.

I like him, bought to score goals and has never let us down. Not his fault the plum in charge didn't pick him for so long, says more about mp than Charlie.

And yes, I do like the back story. He's reached the prem the hard way and full credit to him, makes him more relatable in my book.

Funny how some players can't score in a brothel yet are constantly praised for running around yet others who know how to do the business get slagged at the slightest excuse.

Evidently running is good whereas intelligence and razor sharp finishing ability is meh.

If in form, Gabbi is much better player than Austin for me. Hopefully MP will be forced to play him for a few games and he can find some sort of form. When in the side earlier in the season the team was far less creative in terms of volume of chances than it at least seems to be now, so I'd expect him to bag a few if he gets the service.

I'm in the don't really like Austin much camp either. He does score goals, which is obviously key, but I think a lack of general fitness is unacceptable at this level and you can't argue that isnt an issue with him. Totally knackered by half time .

Also, while he has been finding the net, he has had some big misses too which are being overlooked but have actually cost us points against Bournemouth, Arsenal and Huddersfield. As well as a pretty incredible miss at 3-1 down to Leicester which actually could have changed the course of a game we were getting battered.

So, if Gabbi can find form, this might not be the end of the world. However, can't say I have any faith in the manager to actually help him do that. Playing Long, 34 games without a goal, will hardly help for a start.

Gabbiadini had a great start to his Saints career but unfortunately if you look at his career to date that patch of goalscoring form was untypical of him in general.

I think he is being underused by MP and would rather see him up top than Long, but in my opinion he's never going to be a consistent scorer in the same way as Austin has been throughout his career.

Also you talk about the team creating less chances earlier in the season when Gabbi was playing and Austin wasn't, but you don't make the connection that the increase in chances may actually be down to Austin and the positions he is taking up in the box! I do think when Austin is there certain players have produced better service on account of having a striker to aim at who has presence and is more likely to stick it in the net.

I would personally like to see both in the team but that option seems off the table with MP in charge!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm going to repost a post from myself from the friendly thread a while back just before Austin got his first start. I should of posted it in this thread originally. All very relevant considering people questioning why fans like him still and still calling him crap basically. Plus his goals vids should be here :)

The first paragraph was in response to him not being a proven prem player because scoring 18 goals for a crap team doesn't mean anything....

Not proven in anything more than a poor side? Same as Le Tissier then? He had a great season. How many strikers score more than 18 prem goals in a season? Very few and they were good goals against top defences too, including a cracker against us. He was worthy of that England call up at the time. He has abilities that we are lacking in our forward play, first touch, accuracy and bravery. He will never look for the foul which is what i hate about Long and Tadic, get in a good position then fall over.

I really don't get some fans dislike of him, and some of what i've read is mind boggling. His backstory is one of a kid playing part time while bricklaying, and was spotted by Eddie Howe who couldn't bring him to Bournemouth because of the embargo so told him to sign for Swindon for his own sake. A kid who even after playing for a season still couldn't believe people wanted his autograph. Who would get all the sunday papers to see his name as scorer in the results section. He's not stopped scoring since, and made a mug of every defence in every league on the way. He wasn't bred out of an academy, thus alien to us working class like most these days. He's very much a Lambert in that sense.

He signed for us not because we were the only ones interested but because his mind was made up instantly when we showed interest. He didn't want to go anywhere else.

I believe that a run in the side will start the goals flowing, i really do. This is the first time in his career, barring injury, that he's not been scoring, but it's also the first time where he's not starting games, and it must affect him. He clearly lacks match fitness. Everyone always says players need a run, and it's true. Look at Yoshida. We also say that strikers that are starting but not scoring need a break, or dropping for a bit (ala Pelle) yet Shane Long gets the nod from the Manager and a lot of peoples first 11's before the games lately. Shane Long has the worst first touch i have ever seen, falls over when getting into good positions (completey lacking the bravery that Austin has) and simply isn't scoring goals and at no point would you expect him to either. Him being on the pitch and running really fast chasing everything (before falling over) isn't working, and we're still not scoring goals so Austin needs to start over him, even if it means the manager changing it up a bit to suit. Something the manager seems unable to do, thus we contionue to not score goals.

Start him for a bit then if nothing changes then slag him off and blame him for eveything instead of doing it now when he's a bit part. He's only been on the pitch totalling 1 full game this season. He's just scored a hatrick in a friendly (to give him game time i assume) so start him next game otherwise i dont see the point. Kinda reminds me of Le Tiss back in the England friendly, grabs a hattrick in a b game but still no look in. Dumb ass Hoddle.

He's still only 28, he's not past it and if he left he'd be banging them in elsewhere. I want him to do it here.

Anyway, i just want him to get a few starts, a little run in the side and see if our luck in front of goal changes.

He has some cracking youtube vids too :) How can you not like these goals!

Best 100 goals

Prem goals for QPR

Gabbiadini had a great start to his Saints career but unfortunately if you look at his career to date that patch of goalscoring form was untypical of him in general.

I think he is being underused by MP and would rather see him up top than Long, but in my opinion he's never going to be a consistent scorer in the same way as Austin has been throughout his career.

Also you talk about the team creating less chances earlier in the season when Gabbi was playing and Austin wasn't, but you don't make the connection that the increase in chances may actually be down to Austin and the positions he is taking up in the box! I do think when Austin is there certain players have produced better service on account of having a striker to aim at who has presence and is more likely to stick it in the net.

I would personally like to see both in the team but that option seems off the table with MP in charge!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Exactly. It's not luck that surprisingly happens when Austin plays instead of Long or Gabbi. He creates the chances that the others don't. Everytime he comes on we suddenly look dangerous. The players know this.

Exactly. It's not luck that surprisingly happens when Austin plays instead of Long or Gabbi. He creates the chances that the others don't. Everytime he comes on we suddenly look dangerous. The players know this.

When Austin returned to the squad Mrs JBS said after about half an hour, "at last someone on the pitch is making others work telling them where to go".

I like him, bought to score goals and has never let us down. Not his fault the plum in charge didn't pick him for so long, says more about mp than Charlie.

And yes, I do like the back story. He's reached the prem the hard way and full credit to him, makes him more relatable in my book.

Funny how some players can't score in a brothel yet are constantly praised for running around yet others who know how to do the business get slagged at the slightest excuse.

Evidently running is good whereas intelligence and razor sharp finishing ability is meh.

Like deliberately kicking someone in the head, you mean?

Couldnt agree more mate ..........suppose were talking cant find the net Long?Just retire mate youve got a bucket load of cash give it up for someone else.

When given the chance, he regularly scores goals in the Premier League.........

When given the chance, he regularly scores goals in the Premier League.........

And then he gets injured for a long period of time. Puel gave him a run, scored goals, then landed on his shoulder and was out for 4 months. MP gives him a run, scored goals, then he's done his groin and is out for months.

No one is denying that he scores goals, but he seemingly doesn't have the fitness to sustain a run at the highest level.

• 1 year later...

I'll love him forever for the "Parklife" rant, but what on earth did he bring to the pitch yesterday when he came on?

As said in other threads his fitness level is appalling, he was on for seconds and then huffing and puffing like me when I run for a bus, but apparently he's somehow better than Gallagher? (how on earth can Sam have any confidence in himself when he see's thing like this?).

Can someone confirm how long he has left on his contract, just in case we can't shift him in the summer. Carilllo can't be worse than the current Austin?

I'll love him forever for the "Parklife" rant, but what on earth did he bring to the pitch yesterday when he came on?

As said in other threads his fitness level is appalling, he was on for seconds and then huffing and puffing like me when I run for a bus, but apparently he's somehow better than Gallagher? (how on earth can Sam have any confidence in himself when he see's thing like this?).

Can someone confirm how long he has left on his contract, just in case we can't shift him in the summer. Carilllo can't be worse than the current Austin?

You’re looking at it the wrong way round. By asking why Austin is ahead of Gallagher, you’re in effect questioning the managers judgement. A manager that’s done a really good job so far.

The question should be, “why isn’t Gallagher good enough to be higher than Charlie in the pecking order”. The question mark should be over Gallagher, not the manager or Charlie

It reminds me of a story told about Shanks. He lined the first team up and bollocked them after a poor performance. Then he turned to the players left out and stated “how bad are you lot, that you can’t get in this side “. How bad is Gallagher that he can’t dislodge Austin

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

You’re looking at it the wrong way round. By asking why Austin is ahead of Gallagher, you’re in effect questioning the managers judgement. A manager that’s done a really good job so far.

The question should be, “why isn’t Gallagher good enough to be higher than Charlie in the pecking order”. The question mark should be over Gallagher, not the manager or Charlie

It reminds me of a story told about Shanks. He lined the first team up and bollocked them after a poor performance. Then he turned to the players left out and stated “how bad are you lot, that you can’t get in this side “. How bad is Gallagher that he can’t dislodge Austin

You could argue Sam has not been given a chance at all (not selected for one start). The manager admitted he was surprised at what he saw when he picked Sims so it is a great shame he didn't give at least try Sam out especially when Ings was injured and Austin and Long were struggling. He must quite like him because he didn't want him to leave in the January window which says something but as it is I think it best Sam leaves now. He's feeling particulary There is no shortage of suitors and I just hope we don't regret it. Remember it was only 12 months ago he was keeping Che Adams out of the Birmingham starting XI.

He did exactly what the manager asked him to do which was take it to the corner and see the game out to get the point we needed to be mathematical safe.

You could argue Sam has not been given a chance at all (not selected for one start). The manager admitted he was surprised at what he saw when he picked Sims so it is a great shame he didn't give at least try Sam out especially when Ings was injured and Austin and Long were struggling. He must quite like him because he didn't want him to leave in the January window which says something but as it is I think it best Sam leaves now. He's feeling particulary There is no shortage of suitors and I just hope we don't regret it. Remember it was only 12 months ago he was keeping Che Adams out of the Birmingham starting XI.

Sad thing for Sam is he’s barely played any minutes post-injury, even for the U23’s.

Hard to persuade Ralph when he’s had so few minutes.

I think we will cash-in because he’s 1 of the easiest to shift, unfortunately.