Austin

thorpie the sinner

Another here who thinks he should be given a go. He has a nous for goal that not many others in the squad have, but the team doesn't play to his strengths. Telling him to sit behind a no.9 is dumb. Put him up the top, and put the balls on a plate for him, because finishing while under pressure is what he's good at.

Should have got rid in the summer. Hopefully we do in January.

With two of our three strikers being Austin and Long it kind of shows why we have struggled.

One is utter ****e at anything involving a football and the other is overweight, unfit and one paced (very slow).

With two of our three strikers being Austin and Long it kind of shows why we have struggled.

One is utter ****e at anything involving a football and the other is overweight, unfit and one paced (very slow).

Your scathing attack on our players does you no favours and frankly makes you look a tad stupid as your remarks are way off...

Don't talk complete & utter pony man. He's done ****ing well through hard work, dedication and balls to go from Poole Town to Southampton. He hasn't "lucked out" at all. He may not be quite good enough for the top 10 of the premiership, but to say he "lucked out" and even more insultingly "doesn't care much", is high grade nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Far better players then him will never play a game in the Premier League, so fair play to him for that.

We can't have a squad of pacey midfielders. We need guys who also score, which is the job of a striker. Austin does this very well. Who cares if he doesn't have the pace of a Redmond, he knows where the back of the net is. Long has more pace but a lot less goals. He should be given a run. He as our top scorer last season and has scored 18 in the PL in past seasons. Who else do we have that has ever done that?

Austin’s also a natural goal scorer. Too bad Pellegrino does not seem to rate him.

• 1 month later...

Not only were his goals good, but he showed the value of having a proper link up man up front that can hold the ball up, first goal is a good example of that, we look to break, he has man to his back, holds him off and plays good ball back to PEH which allows him to play in Bertrand.

In terms of aerial threat and hold up play he offers a lot more than Long or Gabbiadini.

What a difference it made to have a goal scorer in our lineup today. Austin is good for 15-20 goals a season and we wait until now to give him his first league start. Still, better late than never. Let's hope the rumours about Les trying to sell Austin to QPR in January are not true. I wonder how much we'd have to pay them to take Long instead? Playing him as our striker instead of Austin has caused a big problem for the whole team for months.

The rest of a team looks lost without a goal scorer, as we saw with Everton today now that they no longer have Lukaku.

I have been crying out for ages to get Austin a start, and finally he does, and what a difference! Such a natural goal scorer, his positioning is brilliant and he caused problems the whole game. A class player who has scored goals everywhere throughout his career. And lets not forget, our top scorer last season. Not to play him is a crime

We can't have a squad of pacey midfielders. We need guys who also score, which is the job of a striker. Austin does this very well. Who cares if he doesn't have the pace of a Redmond, he knows where the back of the net is. Long has more pace but a lot less goals. He should be given a run. He as our top scorer last season and has scored 18 in the PL in past seasons. Who else do we have that has ever done that?

Well said. Long hasn't scored since February - appalling. Would play Long Weds but save Charlie up for Bournemouth - you know he'll score there.

I have been crying out for ages to get Austin a start, and finally he does, and what a difference! Such a natural goal scorer, his positioning is brilliant and he caused problems the whole game. A class player who has scored goals everywhere throughout his career. And lets not forget, our top scorer last season. Not to play him is a crime

yes, apparently he’s not very mobile and that bothers some on here.

For me he knows where that thing with the net at each end of the pitch is so, here’s an idea, play to his strengths and let’s see what happens. Worked today albeit against crap but don’t have him chasing shadows out wide or near the halfway line, have him prowling in the box or just outside of it.

It shouldn’t be rocket science but MP has made a bloody meal of it........and I don’t buy all that crap about a renewed attitude in training either, that’s just an excuse.

Austin will score goals at whatever team and level he plays at. It's what he does. Just a natural goalscorer. He may not be the fittest or most mobile but WTF cares when he's good at doing what is required to win football matches. Biggest issue with him is injuries.

Well said. Long hasn't scored since February - appalling. Would play Long Weds but save Charlie up for Bournemouth - you know he'll score there.

We're going to need pace up top Weds. Someone who will chase lost causes and give us a get out ball. Long can do all that but unfortunately he can't finish. I'd play him on the basis that he will actually score one day (won't he?).

Charlie will thrive on the atmosphere at Dean Court, he needs to fit for that

We're going to need pace up top Weds. Someone who will chase lost causes and give us a get out ball. Long can do all that but unfortunately he can't finish. I'd play him on the basis that he will actually score one day (won't he?).

Charlie will thrive on the atmosphere at Dean Court, he needs to fit for that

Probably a good call. Long is not a goal scorer and it would be great if we could play Austin for 90 minutes of every game but he does have knees issues and was limping before he was subbed today.We need to save Austin for the games we can win, like Bournemouth and Huddersfield, where he will score goals, and use Long as an extra defender in the games we can't, like Man City away. It would have been ideal to have both Austin and Pelle in the squad, as between them, they'd have kept the goal scoring going all season.

I'm still smiling at Charlie Austin's performance today. It was just so good to see a Saints striker look full of goals. Even the fact he was in the starting lineup semed to lift the crowd and there was none of the expected negativity The crowd was noisily behind the team right from the off. I know there are some who post on here who don't seem to care whether we win or lose and somehow think that makes them better fans but if you love the club with a passion, you really feel the highs and lows: defeats are depressing and victories are exhilarating. Today's game was just what the doctor ordered. Thank you, Charlie Austin and all of the team :)

"Slow". "Immobile". Who cares. He scores goals. We've been dying out for a #9 pivot and a target for our crosses because Long/Gabbi just aren't that kind of striker. Admittedly it was Everton, but he deserves a run against other teams because imo the balance of the team is so much better. A proper CF enables the midfielders around him, which again is something Long/Gabbi don't really do.

Edited by Ultimatt

I am not sure where the slow thing comes from, he's certainly quick enough over a few yards to get in front of most defenders I have seen, when he came off the bench a few weeks ago and closed down he didn't look slow and IIRC when the team statistics board was up during the Hoedt signing vid he was one of the fastest there.

I mean Kane is a 30 goal a season man and Austin is quicker than him definitely.

Plus against most team we are not going to get a hoof ball over the top for him to run in behind, we are going to have teams like that today where it's his clever movement that is important not his speed.

The issue with Austin is keeping him fit. Which is why maybe a fruitless night on wednesday where we'll have 30% possession, after he hasn't played a full game since March and would be his second game in 3 days is probably not a great idea. Keep him fresh for Bournemouth where we have a realistic chance of winning.

Austin will score goals at whatever team and level he plays at. It's what he does. Just a natural goalscorer. He may not be the fittest or most mobile but WTF cares when he's good at doing what is required to win football matches. Biggest issue with him is injuries.

The problem, as Sour Mash says, is that he doesn't do all that's required to win most games. Today, he was very effective against an open defence who gave us space to cross, which is great and exactly why he played.

Even the fact he was in the starting lineup semed to lift the crowd and there was none of the expected negativity The crowd was noisily behind the team right from the off.)

Must say I disgaree with this. It was noticeably quieter than usual at the start and when the equaliser went in people around me (Kingsland North) were suddenly berating players for the sorts of passes they were applauding at 1-0.

Austin starts (against a non top 6 side) and scores...who would have thought.

Puel made this mistake last season, not starting/playing Austin much and when he did, we started to score goals...

Would be insane to sell Austin in January without getting in someone who can score and an aerial threat

It was great watching the little snippet of analysis on MOTD2 last night.

Austin has the awareness and movement in the box that other players simply don't have. He just knows what to do. There genuinely aren't many players in the Premier League who can do what he does.

What I love about him is that he had a few chances in the first half, but it didn't dent his confidence in any way. He just wants to score goals, simple as that.

Also, his interview cracked me up! You can tell he thinks any manager is a complete tool for not picking him, and he's about as subtle as a sledgehammer in making that point :lol:

Austin is probably our only true 'no9' and our most natural goal scorer.

The trouble with Austin is, whilst he holds the ball up and links play well, he offers very little else outside the box. I think MP has a decision to make and if he wants to play Austin, he probably needs to slightly tinker the way we play (as we seemed to do yesterday).

I think he's let himself down a bit as i'm not convinced he's as fit as what he should be, but hopefully a few starts will kick him into gear. If he can get himself into peak physical fitness, he'll score 15-20 goals a season (playing to his strengths), but only he can do that (similar to Lambert, he changed his lifestyle at a similar age and went on to another level or 3).

I am not sure where the slow thing comes from, he's certainly quick enough over a few yards to get in front of most defenders I have seen, when he came off the bench a few weeks ago and closed down he didn't look slow and IIRC when the team statistics board was up during the Hoedt signing vid he was one of the fastest there.

I mean Kane is a 30 goal a season man and Austin is quicker than him definitely.

Plus against most team we are not going to get a hoof ball over the top for him to run in behind, we are going to have teams like that today where it's his clever movement that is important not his speed.

The issue with Austin is keeping him fit. Which is why maybe a fruitless night on wednesday where we'll have 30% possession, after he hasn't played a full game since March and would be his second game in 3 days is probably not a great idea. Keep him fresh for Bournemouth where we have a realistic chance of winning.

Not sure about that... I do agree with the rest of what you say though. I think his recent performances have showed him to be a bit rusty and lacking match sharpness more than anything else.

I just dont get playing Long instead of Austin against City.

Unless we can hold City to 0-0, which I seriously doubt, we need goals, so why put a player like Long up front who cannot score in a brothel.

It has to be Austin the inform striker.

Long has to be kept out of the squad completely and moved on in January as whatever he had has deserted him.

The problem, as Sour Mash says, is that he doesn't do all that's required to win most games. Today, he was very effective against an open defence who gave us space to cross, which is great and exactly why he played.

What, score goals?

I am being a little facetious, and I know what point you're making. But I'd also say that Gabbiadini, our alternative goalscorer (I think Long has strengths but wouldn't rely on him as our lone striker too often), has struggled to be 'involved' in games this season. I still think he's a good player, but his lack of action comes from the fact he is isolated and the only passes he seems to get are hopeful crosses lumped into the box.

Scoring goals wins games. So we should be playing to suit the players who can score. Instead we set our stall out and hope that our strikers can fit in with that, then criticise them if they don't. I get that Austin isn't an accomplished all round player, but he's a bit more than just a goal hanger. His movement in the box doesn't just result in a higher chance of scoring, but it makes defenders more nervy, gives the wide players something to look/aim for etc.

What, score goals?

I am being a little facetious, and I know what point you're making. But I'd also say that Gabbiadini, our alternative goalscorer (I think Long has strengths but wouldn't rely on him as our lone striker too often), has struggled to be 'involved' in games this season. I still think he's a good player, but his lack of action comes from the fact he is isolated and the only passes he seems to get are hopeful crosses lumped into the box.

Scoring goals wins games. So we should be playing to suit the players who can score. Instead we set our stall out and hope that our strikers can fit in with that, then criticise them if they don't. I get that Austin isn't an accomplished all round player, but he's a bit more than just a goal hanger. His movement in the box doesn't just result in a higher chance of scoring, but it makes defenders more nervy, gives the wide players something to look/aim for etc.

I agree. As someone else said: start with those who can score goals and work backwards to find ways to play to their strengths and maximise their opportunities. Austin showed in one game more threat than many others have in a dozen as all he wants to do is score.

Unless we can hold City to 0-0, which I seriously doubt, we need goals, so why put a player like Long up front who cannot score in a brothel.

Long has to be kept out of the squad completely and moved on in January as whatever he had has deserted him.

Because Austin's knees won't take it so soon after yesterday. Save him for Bournemouth. I'd play Gabbi

I get it, if it is a fitness issue. I’d rather see him play against Bournemouth.

I don’t really understand why Pellegrino has so much faith in Long, though.

Long is a striker that can't score, at least in the PL. They should really find another spot for him. Like every player Austin does some things well and other things not so well, so does Gabbi. Austin plays very well in the air, plays pretty good hold-up play, and makes good runs from 30 yards and in. His runs put pressure on the D even when he doesn't get the ball, and he is a natural goal scorer with a great shot. The farther from the goal he is the worse he gets. I'm sure if MP doesn't want him there are 5 teams that would in the PL, plus QPR would love him back in the Championship.

MP should be building around players that create goals and opportunities rather than forcing everyone to use his system, which from what I can tell includes a lot of passing around midfield and running quickly around. Very little attacking. I still want to see 2 upfront with Austin and Gabbi. When Austin got his 18 goals he played 2 upfront with QPR. I think it would work for Gabbi too.

It would be absolute madness to get rid of our best hope of goals probably for a pittance in January. I 4 1 hope they build the the team around his strengths....

"Slow". "Immobile". Who cares. He scores goals. We've been dying out for a #9 pivot and a target for our crosses because Long/Gabbi just aren't that kind of striker. Admittedly it was Everton, but he deserves a run against other teams because imo the balance of the team is so much better. A proper CF enables the midfielders around him, which again is something Long/Gabbi don't really do.

Yep! As I said elsewhere, Charlie Austin is the new Ted MacDougall icon6.png

That would be Mane.

He's essentially the opposite of Long. People like Long because he hassles defenders. He works hard. He's fast. Great qualities... for a ball winning mid/defensive forward. Austin's impact outside the box is irrelevant. He's our only striker that can play isolated and the only one that properly gets on the end of crosses (which we do more than any other PL team this season). I don't want to write off Gabbi but I think he needs more creative players in and around him which Redmond/Davis/Tadic don't offer.

I don't want to write off Gabbi but I think he needs more creative players in and around him which Redmond/Davis/Tadic don't offer.

You’ve got it the wrong way round!

Compare the sorts of goals scored by Austin and Gabbiadini. The former is essentially a finisher of clear cut chances (even though he squanders a high proportion of them!), whereas the latter scores a higher proportion of goals where he has more left to do or has to create chances himself. Gabbiadini is certainly a more complete player.

You’ve got it the wrong way round!

Compare the sorts of goals scored by Austin and Gabbiadini. The former is essentially a finisher of clear cut chances (even though he squanders a high proportion of them!), whereas the latter scores a higher proportion of goals where he has more left to do or has to create chances himself. Gabbiadini is certainly a more complete player.

I'd argue you are wrong sorry , Gabbi has been making some great runs off the shoulder and in behind etc but no one has been finding him .

With Austin get that ball anywhere near that goal and he's getting on or nearly on the end of it, like Motd said "Proper old fashioned striker"