Austin

thorpie the sinner

Not sure where the most relevant place to post this is, but just watched Bertrand's "team mate" video on the monthly newsletter. For the question "Quickest?" he says something about Austin "being on top at the moment" - guess there's some sort of speed trap competition they have going on. He does also make a joke about it being downhill for Austin to be winning, but perhaps he's not as slow as people like to make out?

Later in the interview quite a telling comment. "Oriol is currently the teacher's pet, but Prowsie is definitely, DEFINITELY the headmaster's pet, if you know what I mean..."

Edit: sorry just seen this has already been discussed on the previous page!

Is 'the headmaster' nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you know what I mean, Old Les? His insistence on his 'teachers' playing Academy products in the team, regardless of whether they were the best options was a major cause of the dispute betweeen Old Les and Koeman.

Is 'the headmaster' nudge, nudge, wink, wink, you know what I mean, Old Les? His insistence on his 'teachers' playing Academy products in the team, regardless of whether they were the best options was a major cause of the dispute betweeen Old Les and Koeman.

I would say I thought the same.

I would say I thought the same.

Yeah, it seemed pretty clear to me that's what Bertrand was hinting at.

Was also interesting that "most intelligent" in terms of academics he picked Forster (who'd have thought it, eh?) and not JWP. Austin the best when it comes to Trivia, ha.

Not sure where the most relevant place to post this is, but just watched Bertrand's "team mate" video on the monthly newsletter. For the question "Quickest?" he says something about Austin "being on top at the moment" - guess there's some sort of speed trap competition they have going on. He does also make a joke about it being downhill for Austin to be winning, but perhaps he's not as slow as people like to make out?

Later in the interview quite a telling comment. "Oriol is currently the teacher's pet, but Prowsie is definitely, DEFINITELY the headmaster's pet, if you know what I mean..."

There’s a difference between top end speed and acceleration - the latter being infinitely more important as football is played in crowded spaces and over short distances.

Edited by shurlock

There’s a difference between top end speed and acceleration - the latter being infinitely more important as football is played in crowded spaces and over short distances.

Yeah this is the key with Austin. If you look at not just the goals he has scored in recent games but the chances he has had, when he gets a sniff of a possible chance coming he know instinctively how to move quickly into a pocket of space to receive a cross or cutback. Look at the Bournemouth goal for instance... The defender was tracking him but when the ball goes out to Redmond, Charlie just steps back a little to make that room to receive what only needed to be a simple ball from Nathan in the end. He makes it look so easy.

He was high up on the speed rankings, if not top when the pre-season tests were on the whiteboard in the Hoedt singing video.

And IIRC when he came on against maybe West Brom, first thing he did was close down one of their centre-backs and looked rapid then.

I suspect he is just not very quick once it is about more than 20 yards, so he's not going to out pace someone over 40-50 yards into the channels like Long.

Yep, not disputing that! Some people often criticise Austin for lack of pace though, which is why I mentioned this interview - it's either not true, or not important!

Although I would say that while I don't think it's important for any particular player to have pace (save perhaps full backs), I do think it's important to have pace somewhere in the team.

Yep, not disputing that! Some people often criticise Austin for lack of pace though, which is why I mentioned this interview - it's either not true, or not important!

Although I would say that while I don't think it's important for any particular player to have pace (save perhaps full backs), I do think it's important to have pace somewhere in the team.

It's more important to play with pace, than have pace per se. imo

It's more important to play with pace, than have pace per se. imo

That is also important, but in some ways they go hand in hand. If you have defenders on the turn, or frightened to leave space in behind, it creates space and time for others. As a defender you're always happier when all the play is in front of you.

Even though it's possible to have one without the other (whichever way round), it's a lot easier to play with pace if you have players with pace.

Yeah this is the key with Austin. If you look at not just the goals he has scored in recent games but the chances he has had, when he gets a sniff of a possible chance coming he know instinctively how to move quickly into a pocket of space to receive a cross or cutback. Look at the Bournemouth goal for instance... The defender was tracking him but when the ball goes out to Redmond, Charlie just steps back a little to make that room to receive what only needed to be a simple ball from Nathan in the end. He makes it look so easy.

We're possibly speaking at cross-purposes, though I'm in agreement with you.

I assess on Austin three levels:

Acceleration: I don't think Austin has great burst over short distances - enough to frighten or pull away from defenders. What makes Mane dangerous isn't his pace per se but his acceleration.

Top speed: Austin may be quicker over long distances once he hits top speed -in the same way that Donkey Kong is a beast in Mario Kart; but that's largely irrelevant in football where match-ups are determined over 5-15 yards, not 50 yards.

Anticipation: Austin has this in bags which allows him to get a head start on defenders. Won't always work when you're trying to get behind defenses unless you have good acceleration but it does mean you can work a yard in the box. I guess that's what you're getting at.

He has the assassin's ability to lose his man just before striking. I can remember him giving the Man U defence the slip for his first Saints goal at Old Trafford (proper strikers goal) and he did it on Sunday again. It's instinctive and given a split second he'll punish you. He carries a threat and offers an outlet for the support players.

Feeling a lot more confident now that MP has sussed that CA is worth picking, frankly it's a joke that it's taken this long but better late than never. As has been said before he doesn't seem fashionable enough for some.

Would also like Gabbi up front as a support striker, could be a good combo IMO.

Yeah, I did like that comment about Austin only winning if it was downhill. It's great to watch him in the box though: his movement is just enough to get him that bit of space he needs. I'd have thought the good defenders would look to stick to him rather than hit the position they're meant to as he does seem to get the ball/get to the ball a lot so following him would mean you would go where the ball is going rather than just marking zonally.

He has the assassin's ability to lose his man just before striking. I can remember him giving the Man U defence the slip for his first Saints goal at Old Trafford (proper strikers goal) and he did it on Sunday again. It's instinctive and given a split second he'll punish you. He carries a threat and offers an outlet for the support players.

Feeling a lot more confident now that MP has sussed that CA is worth picking, frankly it's a joke that it's taken this long but better late than never. As has been said before he doesn't seem fashionable enough for some.

Would also like Gabbi up front as a support striker, could be a good combo IMO.

Austin can certainly be clinical with the right delivery. I'd like to see more of the low cross or pull back to players like Austin or Gabbiadini, similar to the Redmond cross v BFC and the Boufal pull back for Romeu. Also think that Gabbi should be tried in the wider attacking role - essentially competing with anyone of Tadic, Boufal or Redmond.

Would like to see him with Boufal and Redmond or Sims. He's so slow we need more pace around him, Tadic up there doesn't help. Austin was really dangerous first 15 while we actually attacked, but if you're sitting deep and playing on the break it's just not going to work with him.

Give him Long's legs and he'd be worth £70m.

He is the fastest player in the squad according to Bertrand ?

He's not so slow, in fact I thought he looked pretty quick for a good portion of the match. He was consistently making runs and was also pressing high. He has 8 goals in the last 11 PL starts, and over the course of his career has averaged a goal every 2 PL games. Show me a guy on our team who can do that?

He's not so slow, in fact I thought he looked pretty quick for a good portion of the match. He was consistently making runs and was also pressing high. He has 8 goals in the last 11 PL starts, and over the course of his career has averaged a goal every 2 PL games. Show me a guy on our team who can do that?

Fully agree let’s hope the qpr deal is jan is off now

He did well today - thought he was spent on the hour though - thought that's when he should have been subbed. Great finisher.

He didn’t look too slow to me when he was steaming past 3 arsenal players on his way to scoring

I think over short distances, in around the box, he is reasonably rapid. But you can't play him like Long or Mane he doesn't have longer distance pace one of the reasons I don't like to see him dropping deeper to try and get involved is that he struggles to keep up with play on quick counters shoulder of the last defender is where I want him.

Another start, another goal. And with slightly better luck could have had a hat-trick, against one of the teams that will undoubtedly be challenging for the CL spots come the end of the season.

But yeah, he's too slow and clearly only Championship level :rolleyes:

Not sure if that was in response to my post or not but Ive never said he was too slow.

Also never said he was championship level.

I did compliment him by saying what he does do well. Strikers must score goals and he knows where the net is.

Edited by Chez

It wasn't. It was more of a dig at the general view that has been posted by a number of contributors to the thread previously.

He's been called far worse than slow and championship standard by some posters on here for the last 6 months or more. A dog**** footballer, we only got him cos no one else wanted him, and Stern John had a better record are a few standouts. Also, whenever Austin didn't score in his usual 10 mins cameo it was because he's fat, slow and ****, yet Gabbi not scoring for 70 mins in the same games was only down to poor service of course.

He got himself fitter recently as bit parts don't help match fitness or motivation to improve but fair play to him for working on it and basically forcing himself in our managers 1st team. I'm glad he's now playing, because, like i said in that friendly thread, he would be off in the Jan window and it would be totally our loss.

He's been called far worse than slow and championship standard by some posters on here for the last 6 months or more. A dog**** footballer, we only got him cos no one else wanted him, and Stern John had a better record are a few standouts. Also, whenever Austin didn't score in his usual 10 mins cameo it was because he's fat, slow and ****, yet Gabbi not scoring for 70 mins in the same games was only down to poor service of course.

He got himself fitter recently as bit parts don't help match fitness or motivation to improve but fair play to him for working on it and basically forcing himself in our managers 1st team. I'm glad he's now playing, because, like i said in that friendly thread, he would be off in the Jan window and it would be totally our loss.

There is no way the Club would sell him in January as we are thread bare up front as it is. That is / was never going to happen. He's not quick, he's not apparently particularly fit but he does what all good strikers do and gets the ball in the back of the net. Amen to that.

There is no way the Club would sell him in January as we are thread bare up front as it is. That is / was never going to happen. He's not quick, he's not apparently particularly fit but he does what all good strikers do and gets the ball in the back of the net. Amen to that.

he was at his request off to QPR for the remainder of the season if he wasn't in starting 11 by Christmas from horses mouths

I think people are confusing "fit" with "agility. Austin is fit, in fact he played 90 and 80 minutes the past two matches. However he is not, and won't be, the Long/Redmond type quick guy who constantly runs around seemingly non stop. Then again who cares. His job is really to attack in the final 3rd, creat chances, and score. For this he is plenty fast enough, plenty pacey enough (if thats a word), plays strong in the air, palys hold-up very well (this according to Romeu). and makes great runs & reads. Oh, and he scores. So people who value "pace" over all, and these are the people who keep looking blindly at Long even though he hasn't scored in a year, will never rate him. Guys like me who believe you need to score goals really like him. Every time he's there he's getting shots, and he's putting the shots on goal. Does he score 100% of the time, no, but the goalie is going to have to make a save (unlike with Redmond, Long, etc.). He puts pressure on the defense by scaring the living daylights out of them and peppering the box, Long creates pressure by stretching the day with pace. To me, Long should be tried at attacking mid.

• 3 weeks later...

Bad hamstring injury then....

@AdamBlackmore:

Just spoken to Pellegrino who was very good on a few #saintsfc issues:

Charlie Austin will be out for a ‘long time’

Absolutely believes they need to spend in January

Said he didn’t play 3 at the back because of absence of Cedric & Bertrand

That's a shame. His goals in recent games have given us half a shout in games. Sadly it's just another in what's feels like a long line of injuries. Amazed someone sanctioned his signing. Paying far too much for him to be sitting on a physio table...

We're been utterly dire as a team, there's no easy striker fix.

ain't that the truth. The approach play, inability to hit teams on the break and paucity of decent supply of chances must be addressed. Gabbiadini needs to fit into our structure far better than he had been and he needs to get into better positions too.

ain't that the truth. The approach play, inability to hit teams on the break and paucity of decent supply of chances must be addressed. Gabbiadini needs to fit into our structure far better than he had been and he needs to get into better positions too.

He could do with being selected and not being given 15-20 minutes at the end of the game to pull something out of the bag. That Long was selected ahead of him to start today was baffling.

He's never been fit enough so when he does pick up injuries he's out for a while. We all knew it. He's alright in the box, scores some, misses some but think he's been built up too much by how bad we've been without him.

He's still replacement. A manager playing to Gabbiadini's strengths would help, he's a far better footballer. Sign Dembele? Austin is the least of our worries when we perform as we have this season. He was involved in 2 wins this season right? Versus Everton in utter turmoil losing to everyone, then a penalty v west ham in a game we screwed up.

We're been utterly dire as a team, there's no easy striker fix.

Thats a little harsh. In addition to Everton and WHU, he did put us ahead vs Bournemouth, Arsenal, and Huddersfield. We just didn't hold on. He's also leading the team in goals with 6, and by a margin. I'm not saying he's Kane, but he is a serviceable, starting PL striker. I also have seen no indication that Gabbi is as good, and if you have to create a whole strategy to get Gabbi going thats not ideal either. Austin did come into MP's formation, with all its issues, and succeed. Gabbi did not.

Overall, on the sort of money Austin takes home he has been a poor signing - he just isn't conditioned to the level required for a PL player hence having so many periods where he isn't selectable.

His injury has also disguised what an absolute tosser he was to a.) Needlessly kick a fellow pro in the head, totally unprovoked and b.) Do so when the team was reliant on him, and when after finally getting settled in team he then misses key games.

Have never fathomed why Saints fans seem to love him so much, he always comes across as a bit of a **** to me.

Have never fathomed why Saints fans seem to love him so much, he always comes across as a bit of a **** to me.

He’s worked his way up from the building site to the premier league and scored goals consistently. He scored the winner at OT within minutes of first wearing a Saints shirt and has always given 100%. I’ve never fathomed why some Saints fans don’t like him much, they come across as right ****s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Overall, on the sort of money Austin takes home he has been a poor signing - he just isn't conditioned to the level required for a PL player hence having so many periods where he isn't selectable.

His injury has also disguised what an absolute tosser he was to a.) Needlessly kick a fellow pro in the head, totally unprovoked and b.) Do so when the team was reliant on him, and when after finally getting settled in team he then misses key games.

Well when asked to contribute for help towards some fundraising my wife was doing he could not have been more helpful. He was prepared to give his time. That is how I would judge him.

Christ Charlie, you don`t like any players do you....