Austin

thorpie the sinner

He did not play on the wing in the slightest. Left channel and up the middle, but definitely not the wing.

He had to track to right back defensively and wasn't far from hugging the left touchline at times. That's left wing for me. Occasionally switching with Redmond. Sounds like you don't think Long was left wing either, he was the majority of the time he was on (reflected strongly by the player position map for the game). Left channel certainly isn't a position, god knows what you're officially calling where Long and Austin played.

Half of what you say has no substance, tbh.

Like your comment then. You haven't argued with any of my points. If you don't agree with what I say that's fine, football is a game of opinions.. but Imagine a political debate where the opponent simply said "what you are saying had no substance", you have to explain why ...

Like your comment then. You haven't argued with any of my points. If you don't agree with what I say that's fine, football is a game of opinions.. but Imagine a political debate where the opponent simply said "what you are saying had no substance", you have to explain why ...

What a joke of a reply. I've misunderstood nothing. Austin played mostly on the left wing. You have no substance at all to counteract my reply with.

I don't understand it at all. It must be people that said he was **** when we signed him and can't take it on the chin that they are wrong. He's by far and away our best option for striker. A natural goalscorer and proper striker.
You clearly love hearing others opinions.

He had to track to right back defensively and wasn't far from hugging the left touchline at times. That's left wing for me. Occasionally switching with Redmond. Sounds like you don't think Long was left wing either, he was the majority of the time he was on (reflected strongly by the player position map for the game). Left channel certainly isn't a position, god knows what you're officially calling where Long and Austin played.

SO by your logic he was playing left back then??

I seem to recall the Northam singing for him to come on soon into 2nd half. And when he came on, to me at least, there was a fairly big change in the game. We seemed to have a focal point, of someone who was an out and out striker who liked to inhabit the box. Give me the choice between him and Long. and I would probably say that I would use Long as Plan B.

What's the point in "arguing" with you? People have challenged your opinions with reasoning and you've told them their wrong, so difficult to have a debate when you won't listen to others.

FWIW, I'd read Tajjuk's post if you want to read something logical.

Wow there's just too much info on there for me to take in, but it does seem that Redmond had a lot of the ball,

but virtually all of his passes whilst in possession were across the field or backwards, barely anything going into the danger area, and we know where his shots ended up!

He is not an out and out striker, and in my mind we are not getting the best use out of him. I like him as a player, and think it was a good bit of business bringing him in,

but Prem League games are not the place to be experimenting when you have better options in attack and better positions for him to play in.

I seem to recall the Northam singing for him to come on soon into 2nd half. And when he came on, to me at least, there was a fairly big change in the game. We seemed to have a focal point, of someone who was an out and out striker who liked to inhabit the box. Give me the choice between him and Long. and I would probably say that I would use Long as Plan B.

I was saying that during the game. Time after time we would mount an attack but there was no focus in the centre.

What's the point in "arguing" with you? People have challenged your opinions with reasoning and you've told them their wrong, so difficult to have a debate when you won't listen to others.

FWIW, I'd read Tajjuk's post if you want to read something logical.

Austin, Long, Redmond and Tadic are all good attackers (and Rodriguez). Play them anywhere in the attack and they can be effective.. It's a question of getting the most out of them by playing them in the position/role they are more effective in..

FWIW, the StatsZone dashboards for the 3 "strikers". I've also added Tadić for completeness of the attacking play:

aef8fad04b49b29cdb026a866d19a99e.jpge61331b16d55fc20c83188a0ac107bcf.jpg1056caccacc3e7201ba0474f59150dd2.jpg216e143a5e1dba1dca9142f53f9c2cc8.jpg7d58f8358ef5586a9cf421841dcc783c.jpg

I looked on the site; is that one half only or the players' contributions per minutes played? I don't think the pictures really help and raise more questions than they answer. The heat maps might as would being able to track each player individually throughout the whole of the game. Can't find the heat maps though.

Redmond looked active, looked involved, played like he has a lot before for England and other teams but as he can roam can get more involved rather than being stuck on one wing as he was for Norwich. Obviously he'll work on his decision-making and shooting etc because he needs to.

I do think Swansea were poor: quite passive in some respects. In the Europa I expect HBS to beat us quite easily; they might even top the group and I do expect West Ham to be quite a stern test because their last two results will have them geed up, they should be able to rest players and still beat Accrington easily and they'll want to get out of the bottom 3 and beat a team they consider to be small in comparison to them.

I read posts like this on here every day and find them terribly frustrating (no offence) You can't label any player this early on in the season. It's just ridiculous. You have stated redmond isn't an out an out striker after 5 games of him playing in a new role. A coach coaches, they teach and develop... which means players can learn and improve??? CP has a fantastic track record of being able to see things in players that others can't. Redmond is one of our few players that get you on the edge of your seat. He's still young and will be learning and improving every day. Have you seen the amount of rotating the 3 midfielders do and the 4 attackers do? .

This has got to be one of the most condescending posts I've ever read on here. People are allowed different opinions. Mine is I'm personally undecided about Redmond through the centre for a variety of reasons, but I'm happy for the experiment to continue for a while longer yet. Obviously anyone who disagrees with me is a footballing Neanderthal and is not blessed with my highly intelligent understanding of the game. Also I think your description of Puel's track record as fantastic is maybe a little OTT.

This shows something two things I've noticed about Austin, outside of scoring goals. Its also noted in the analysis by The Boot Room online blog. First Austin is very effective in the air, he usually wins the headers. On this it shows him 3 for 3. This is something we don't have a lot of now. Also he does proved assists. Each time out there he has made nice passes around the box area to set up someone else. Yesterday it was Redmond. So although many here have classified him as just a scorer, I do think he does other thigns for us out there.

I think Claude using Austin sparingly is a master stroke. He's not got the overall fitness (yet) to play the way we play all game, but when he comes on or starts he is playing like he has a point to prove. I can see Austin knuckling down and working on his endurance so that he will become more than a one-dimensional striker.

This has got to be one of the most condescending posts I've ever read on here. People are allowed different opinions. Mine is I'm personally undecided about Redmond through the centre for a variety of reasons, but I'm happy for the experiment to continue for a while longer yet. Obviously anyone who disagrees with me is a footballing Neanderthal and is not blessed with my highly intelligent understanding of the game. Also I think your description of Puel's track record as fantastic is maybe a little OTT.

How is he being condescending? judging a player after 5 games and saying he should stick to what he is best at is ****ing mental. Thats like the boss promoting a member of staff and then the cleaner giving him 5 hours in the job before deciding the guy should stick to what he is good at and loudly gobbing off about without looking at all the hours of evidence and data the boss made the decision on.

tumblr_njxv2m9ldB1r53ys8o1_500.jpg

I agree. Seeing him in the box you can tell he is a goalscorer and lives for it and he is one of the best English players at that particular skill (scoring) we have in the country.

I find very frustrating that you are not as clever as me and can't see its condescending. Geddit ?

The old 'aren't people allowed an opinion' attack. Of course they are and in LeG's opinion only an idiot would make their mind up after 5 games and for what its worth I agree. Redmond its looking good, we are starting to gel and the movement was a joy to watch on Saturday. Judging by how we played against Arsenal away I am looking forward to us being tested by a better side.

Charlie Austin and Jamie Vardy didn't have the benefit of a top class Academy training but are amongst those strikers who had to go out to work for a living.... whilst coming up through non-League football ....and made it to the Prem......the hard way.

Without all the " educated coaching and skill tips ", they still know how to find the back of the net, and know how to take a chance without making 10 passes first.

The type of players who simply enjoy scoring, and very unlike those £50 million strikers ....who give TV commentators an orgasm everytime they score - an occasional goal..

Charlie Austin and Jamie Vardy didn't have the benefit of a top class Academy training but are amongst those strikers who had to go out to work for a living.... whilst coming up through non-League football ....and made it to the Prem......the hard way.

Without all the " educated coaching and skill tips ", they still know how to find the back of the net, and know how to take a chance without making 10 passes first.

The type of players who simply enjoy scoring, and very unlike those £50 million strikers ....who give TV commentators an orgasm everytime they score - an occasional goal..

Spot on. It's the reason Austin is one of my favourite players in our squad. He's there on merit, nothing more.

I really hope he has a belting season. Sure he comes across a bit funny in interviews, and I can see something in the rumours that he's a bit of an arse (could be completely wrong of course).

Don't care though. Charlie Austin's red and white! And I want him to not only take the penalties, but WANT to take the penalties too :lol:

The old 'aren't people allowed an opinion' attack. Of course they are and in LeG's opinion only an idiot would make their mind up after 5 games and for what its worth I agree. Redmond its looking good, we are starting to gel and the movement was a joy to watch on Saturday. Judging by how we played against Arsenal away I am looking forward to us being tested by a better side.

Thats the way to do it, anyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot. Even though my opinion was wait and see how Redmond develops in his new role before passing judgement. I like to read different views on here ,most of which I don't agree with but if you ignore the regular trolls its can still be informative to listen to other people. I guess that's why I hardly post on here the complete intolerance of others.

Spot on. It's the reason Austin is one of my favourite players in our squad. He's there on merit, nothing more.

I really hope he has a belting season. Sure he comes across a bit funny in interviews, and I can see something in the rumours that he's a bit of an arse (could be completely wrong of course).

Don't care though. Charlie Austin's red and white! And I want him to not only take the penalties, but WANT to take the penalties too :lol:

My mates son who is brickying at Austin's on a development in Newbury says he was a **** bricky :)

As long as he keeps scoring and doesn't harm team morale, he's alright .

I've always liked Austin. He scores goals. Wanted him at Saints when he was at Swindon. He was too good for Burnley. He gets a buzz from scoring whatever league he's in. He once scored a fluke and when questioned he said it doesn't matter, all the sunday papers will just say Austin (54mins). He doesn't score many flukes though, as he has an excellent first touch and ball control. If you look at the prem season with QPR and his goals against Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea and of course Saints, you'll see this clearly. If a cross or a loose ball is in and around the box and he's on the pitch there is a chance of a goal.

I reckon he'll hit 25 goals in all comps this season. :D

• 1 year later...

I don't really see how being Skybet's favourite constitutes as "news". All it takes is a few QPR fans to put a bet on him rejoining and the odds shorten, doesn't mean there is any truth to it. I very much doubt they could pay any where remotely near the wages Saints are paying him.

I don't really see how being Skybet's favourite constitutes as "news". All it takes is a few QPR fans to put a bet on him rejoining and the odds shorten, doesn't mean there is any truth to it. I very much doubt they could pay any where remotely near the wages Saints are paying him.

It's not the Charlie Austin news thread.

Look, Austin is a great guy but his knees are shot and he cannot start a prem game without ‘help’...he simply cannot sustain the tempo etc. The reason he gets sub appearances is because the games naturally slow down in the last 10 minutes anyway. He’ll be gone in January and while I don’t like to see a good guy go, for the clubs sake we need someone of much higher calibre. If Long was not so industrious he’d be gone too I suspect. I’ve been told we’re looking to sign a high ranking playmaker or striker in Jan...being worked on now....might be that Barca lad.

Look, Austin is a great guy but his knees are shot and he cannot start a prem game without ‘help’...he simply cannot sustain the tempo etc. The reason he gets sub appearances is because the games naturally slow down in the last 10 minutes anyway. He’ll be gone in January and while I don’t like to see a good guy go, for the clubs sake we need someone of much higher calibre. If Long was not so industrious he’d be gone too I suspect. I’ve been told we’re looking to sign a high ranking playmaker or striker in Jan...being worked on now....might be that Barca lad.

you know it makes sense #ziyechwatch

Screen Shot 2017-10-18 at 20.12.30.jpg

Austin has scored goals where ever he goes. He has not been given a chance this season. We would be mad to get rid of him.

Without doubt we need to give him 4 or 5 games like long has had as when he had a run last year he performed with a fair ratio

He seems popular and I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke, but he's lucked out massively in his career and he knows it, so having reached the top I don't expect he cares much.

What?! Injury's followed him everywhere and his best season was with a relegated team. Where's the luck there?

(I'm not sure the Southampton bench really counts as 'the top', either. He's clearly motivated to do better)

What?! Injury's followed him everywhere and his best season was with a relegated team. Where's the luck there?

(I'm not sure the Southampton bench really counts as 'the top', either. He's clearly motivated to do better)

Cracking little myth this. He's made less than 25 appearances, in a season, only once prior to 2016 and the one big injury he got with QPR. Then one injury hit season with us. He has not been, and is not, 'injury prone' nor has 'injury followed him everywhere'.

He seems popular and I'm sure he's a nice enough bloke, but he's lucked out massively in his career and he knows it, so having reached the top I don't expect he cares much.

Don't talk complete & utter pony man. He's done ****ing well through hard work, dedication and balls to go from Poole Town to Southampton. He hasn't "lucked out" at all. He may not be quite good enough for the top 10 of the premiership, but to say he "lucked out" and even more insultingly "doesn't care much", is high grade nonsense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This manager and the last simply do not play a style which suits Austin, ie get in the penalty area as soon as you can and be the Johnny on the spot to put the ball in the net. I don’t buy this “he’s too slow” stuff....**** me we hardly play with a high intensity anymore, he’s more in danger of falling asleep waiting for the bloody ball.

Cracking little myth this. He's made less than 25 appearances, in a season, only once prior to 2016 and the one big injury he got with QPR. Then one injury hit season with us. He has not been, and is not, 'injury prone' nor has 'injury followed him everywhere'.

I'm not intimately familiar with his physios at Poole or Swindom but he's been injury prone in the Premier League years. You may recall he failed a medical at Hull, hardly a lucky break.

I've never thought he'd be much more than a bench option for us but it really is insulting to claim a guy who's climbed the entire league pyramid has done it through luck. (Which I know was the other guy, not you)

I'm not intimately familiar with his physios at Poole or Swindom but he's been injury prone in the Premier League years. You may recall he failed a medical at Hull, hardly a lucky break.

I've never thought he'd be much more than a bench option for us but it really is insulting to claim a guy who's climbed the entire league pyramid has done it through luck. (Which I know was the other guy, not you)

Firstly I am not picking on you on purpose but this keeps coming up and it's just plain wrong. Whether you are intimately familiar with them or not is irrelevant, the stats speak for themselves. As for the Premier league years quote - you're wrong again. He has, so far, been injured for just one premier league season that he has played (the one with us last year). He is fit this year and he played 35 times for QPR of the three full seasons he's had in the top flight. As for the failed medical at Hull, it was apparently down to a dicky knee...Unfortunately for Hull and fortunately for QPR he signed for Rangers a week later, played 31 games and scored 17 goals....Not bad for a dicky knee.

I do agree about your comment regarding 'luck' though. What horse ****. And he should be given a chance with us.

Baird of the Land is possibly correct BUT I'd take a few more goals and a lot less movement at the moment over workhouse Long who is what 11 games and counting without a goal and even more if you add in his international performances.