Rodriguez Joins WBA - Official

beowulf

Difficult decision really, he's English and homegrown which ups his value, and he often scores goals on the rare occasions when called upon, but I'm pretty sure he's not likely to be a starter any time soon. So the question really is "does the "12m cover the cost of replacing him?", which I guess is always going to be "yes" for Saints or we wouldn't sell him in the first place. Whether that replacement is a cheap signing or Gallagher/Olomola/Seager etc remains to be seen.

Edited by The9

12m is amazing money for him. Doubt v much if we will get that

He's going to look like a bargain by the time the rest of the Premier League has finished slinging around the remainder of the new tv money. Everyone's got about £100m each more than they had this time last year, give or take some pre-emptive wage rises.

The fact that he (and his family) clearly wants out will be a factor so I guess that we will try and get the best price for someone who is less than committed to the cause !

I personally think that £12 mil or thereabouts would be quite acceptable !

£12m to sell a proven striker in premier league? Poor bargaining.

12m for a striker whose confidence is shot, control is gone, and all round play not even a quarter of what it was pre injury. Amazing money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

£12m to sell a proven striker in premier league? Poor bargaining.

Proven three years ago (as a wide attacker - Lambert was our striker), perhaps, before his knee exploded.

Since then, sadly, all he's proven is that, while an ACL rupture isn't career ending these days, that doesn't mean it can't be enormously career altering. Some players just never return to anything like their previous level. Rodriguez is one of them.

If he hadn't gotten injured, we'd have sold him to Spurs for £20m a few months later. So £12-15m now, some years on from his peak, seems a decent fee.

If he goes on to recapture that old Jay Rod magic and as a result looks a steal at the price WBA paid, good luck to him - it'd be thrilling to see him back to his best.

But he's shown few signs of being that player again in a Saints shirt, so a fresh start surely suits everyone.

On a personal note rather than business one, I would be happy to let him go for the reasonable rate being discussed (a rate that some think too low), so that he might be able to revive his career. The human side of transfers often gets lost in the pursuit of extra millions.

On a personal note rather than business one, I would be happy to let him go for the reasonable rate being discussed (a rate that some think too low), so that he might be able to revive his career. The human side of transfers often gets lost in the pursuit of extra millions.

I think the situation is not unlike Kevin Davies. We can beat ourselves up over how well he did for Bolton for 10 years after leaving us, but that would never have happened had he stayed. This is the opportunity for the player to reinvent himself and for Saints to get something out of it as well.

TBF none of our strikers looked great in last seasons system, would be keen to see how he'd perform in a more forward thinking, high pressing, system, as Poch's system fitted him down to the ground, especially gives Rickie always liked to drop into the #10 to create space for JRod, that didn't happen last season.

12m for a striker whose confidence is shot, control is gone, and all round play not even a quarter of what it was pre injury. Amazing money

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wake up grandpa and see where the market is today. You cant get anything of decent quality under 10 million. Jay-rod is not a **** player, tho obviously needs to build up confidence and fitness.

Would be a good deal for all involved, good luck to him. Jay needs a move and, more importantly, regular game time to see if he can get back to his form pre-injury. £14m would represent good business for Saints and pretty much pays for Jay's replacement too...

That's a good deal for us. I still feel he has something to offer and I like him as a player but its hard to see where his games will come from in a season where we have no European football. I think he needs a fresh start and I am not against Gallagher replacing him in the squad and us using the funds elsewhere in the team.

Yes please. Even if he does discover his previous form (which is a massive 'if') we wont exactly have been mugged off.

Correct - even if he has a barnstorming season (ie 10 goals) then it will be the very fact that he moved that would be a key contributory factor - his useful time with us is over.

£14m is nothing in the today's market. Liverpool insist £30m for a defender they don't want. For RodJ, wherever you go, you need to fight for your place. No one will let you go straight into the starting squad given your injury record. Why don't you fight for your place in saints?

£14m is nothing in the today's market. Liverpool insist £30m for a defender they don't want. For RodJ, wherever you go, you need to fight for your place. No one will let you go straight into the starting squad given your injury record. Why don't you fight for your place in saints?

How much would you demand for him?

Perhaps he wants a change of scenery and West Bromwich is closer to his family than Southampton?

Always been a huge fan of Jay, was chuffed when we signed him. But he's lost something since those injuries.

He struggled to make an impact under Koeman and similarly Puel. He may well go and score a few goals at WBA if he has a run in the side, but from where he was pre-2014 world cup, he's not getting back to that level. He'll be a decent PL player I'm sure, but we already have a couple of those in Long and Austin.

It was great fun when he was in tandem with Lambert and Lallana, but that's never going to happen again. I think we're going to end up being the club who saw the best of him at this level to be honest.

I'll be sad to see him go , Will do a job for Wba and would like to see a little sell on clause added IF he can have a good couple of seasons and find his original pre injury form he could easily jump back up to a better club and 14m will look a steal !

I'll be sad to see him go , Will do a job for Wba and would like to see a little sell on clause added IF he can have a good couple of seasons and find his original pre injury form he could easily jump back up to a better club and 14m will look a steal !

He will be 28 before pre-season ends, a couple of years and he'll be the wrong side of 30.

Always been a huge fan of Jay, was chuffed when we signed him. But he's lost something since those injuries.

He struggled to make an impact under Koeman and similarly Puel. He may well go and score a few goals at WBA if he has a run in the side, but from where he was pre-2014 world cup, he's not getting back to that level. He'll be a decent PL player I'm sure, but we already have a couple of those in Long and Austin.

It was great fun when he was in tandem with Lambert and Lallana, but that's never going to happen again. I think we're going to end up being the club who saw the best of him at this level to be honest.

Long isn't a prem player

No ****ing chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like.

He needs to move for his own good. He won't build up his confidence and undoubted potential if he is fourth or fifth choice striker here. We don't have to demand a fee that is unlikely to be realised. But we can insist on a good sell-on clause. That could work for everyone. I wish him well.

My memories of him will be the goal against Chelsea, this season against Bournemouth, all round performance at Fulham away. And an absolutely gutting feeling when he did his ligaments at City and missed the World Cup. Not good enough this year though so needed to go.

Would rather we sold Long and kept Jay Rod, Jay is 2 years younger and able to play out wide or down the middle and Long is better down the middle which I think will see him struggle for playing time as Austin and Gabba will be the main strikers.

It's a shame in a way because JRod, Gabbi, Austin, Long, and Gallagher are all different kinds of striker to some degree, but five players for one position is too top heavy. To be honest, Gabbi aside, I can't really decide which 3/4 I'd want, because they all have merit/flaws/etc. However, if Jay isn't going to get prolonged game time, then he's never going to be able to back into any rhythm, and of the five, he's the one who needs it most, so 12m-15m makes sense. Still think his all round game is the strongest of all five though...or most balanced, I should say - or it was/could've been once again.

Best of luck (just not against us).

My memories of him will be the goal against Chelsea, this season against Bournemouth, all round performance at Fulham away. And an absolutely gutting feeling when he did his ligaments at City and missed the World Cup. Not good enough this year though so needed to go.

And if he hadn't done his knee, he would most likely not have been here after the last World Cup.

Pre-injury he was excellent and World Cup bound but let us not pretend that he wasn't going to fu_ck off with all the others at the end of that season without a backwards look.

Post-injury he's been bang average at best which is a great pity for him as a player. The club stood by him through his rehab and have given him, IMHO, a more than fair crack of the whip but he's, quite simply, not been good enough.

WBA have been pursuing him for ages but they also thought he was hanging on to see if he could get a move to Burnley, which clearly isn't on the happening now. Personally I hope he finds some form as I never like to see potential ruined by injury, unless it's a skate tw_at.