Rodriguez Joins WBA - Official

beowulf

With our lack of depth and talent up front this would be a fairly remarkable deal to happen. No smoke without fire though and this rumour has been building for some time so it wouldn't surprise me to see WBA make a serious attempt to get this done.

We play a formation with 1 striker, we don't really need 4 senior strikers for a 433 system. It won't be overly long until Austin is back, so fitting Austin, Gabbiadini, Long & Rodriguez in to a match-day squad of 18 isn't easy when we also have Boufal, Redmond, Tadic & Sims for the 2 wide positions in the 433 system.

- Play 2 upfront and you need 4 senior strikers in the squad

- Play 1 upfront like Saints do and you only really need 3 senior strikers in the squad

Any more that that and it bloats the squad a little, senior players aren't even making the matchday squad of 18 and get unhappy.

With our lack of depth and talent up front this would be a fairly remarkable deal to happen. No smoke without fire though and this rumour has been building for some time so it wouldn't surprise me to see WBA make a serious attempt to get this done.

This. Would be mad if we let JRod go now. Austin won't be back much before the end of the season, possibly last couple of games, if that. Gabbiadini is an unknown but has only played a couple of full games this season from what I understand, and Long has only scored 1 (?) premier league goal. If they decide to let him go at the end of the season that would be understandable (but still nuts) with Gallagher coming back, Austin fit, Gabbiadini settled in and Long. Even playing the current formation having 4 strikers is not a luxury.

We cant afford to let Jrod go as we don't have the numbers and he is just starting to find a bit of form. In the summer I could see it happening but not in Jan surely?

If he's not in the squad tomorrow night the alarm bells will be tinkling. Assuming he's fit that is.

Something is not right with Jay & SFC just now, you can pick that up from his families posts on twitter.

He's scoring goals when he plays, but despite injuries to others hes played very little in the league

22 games into the season and hes played the full 90 just 3x and in total 600 miniutes or the equivalent of 6.5 league games

His recovery would have been grueling and he wants to play regular football - i can understand why hed be pi**ed off

We play a formation with 1 striker, we don't really need 4 senior strikers for a 433 system. It won't be overly long until Austin is back, so fitting Austin, Gabbiadini, Long & Rodriguez in to a match-day squad of 18 isn't easy when we also have Boufal, Redmond, Tadic & Sims for the 2 wide positions in the 433 system.

- Play 2 upfront and you need 4 senior strikers in the squad

- Play 1 upfront like Saints do and you only really need 3 senior strikers in the squad

Any more that that and it bloats the squad a little, senior players aren't even making the matchday squad of 18 and get unhappy.

Saturday proved we need as much strength in depth as possible. Because let's face it, there isn't much in reserve currently. So what if senior pro's don't make the matchday squad? It's up to them to get back into it.

Saturday proved we need as much strength in depth as possible. Because let's face it, there isn't much in reserve currently. So what if senior pro's don't make the matchday squad? It's up to them to get back into it.

Maybe with Seagar getting fit again and the club wanting as many academy in match day squad we are cashing in before any more injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a strange one, would've thought a move for him would've come back in the summer when maybe we weren't sure if he'd find his fitness again. Would be strange given that he has shown bits of his old self to now move him on at what is not a substantial amount of money. But who knows..

Question is, if he has fallen down the pecking order here, is he really going to be at the top of the pecking order at WBA? He has fallen down for a reason which is obvious to all - best part of 2 years being injured. And while he has scored a few goals, and seems to be getting better, he still isn't where he was. I think as a player, there are few if any that the supporters want to succeed more than him, what with him so nearly breaking through to the national side before his injury (although if he had, I doubt he would still be a Saints player!!!!!!!).

So if he does go to WBA and doesn't start scoring, will he fall down the pecking order there?

4 goals in the league, as above hes only been given 600 minutes or 6.5 games

4 goals in 6.5 games isn't bad.....

Right but it isn't 4 goals in 6.5 games, it's 4 goals this season. Which is pretty bad.

Anyway, I like Jay, he's decent and getting better and better over the season and I much prefer him to Long who should be the one to leave IMO if anyone is but lets be real Jay hasn't been good enough this season really. Apart from goals he's offered very little at times and his general all round play has been poor. BUT...when he plays well, we play well and he and we have got better lately. He'll get his chances here the rest of the season and he's got obvious qualities but if we decide not to keep him around for next season then unless he's had a storming end to this season he cant complain. I dont think play central really suits him anyway but he's been poor at times and has struggled to hold the ball up and bring others in. He's got better recently though to be fair. Personally I see him as quite a good option for us, especially his ability to start wide and cut inside. Looks like this new guy is similar from the right as well. I wouldn't be shocked if we start to see movements back towards a slightly wider diamond with these two coming in from the wings and Boufal or Redmond dropped in behind. We certainly have versatility and a bit more dynamism now. However Jay has his Saints future in his hands, he has to perform, and he's just started to do that consistently so hopefully that will continue.

Heart says no, but head says get rid. I just can not see him getting back to anything like the player he was. To get £10mil for him is pretty decent business if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we were to let him go (and fwiw I'd persevere with him) it would have to be in the summer not tomorrow.

In my view he just starting to look like his old self - it would be crazy to sell him now.

Is Kiko his Dad? Seems like he's a bit of a stirrer. If he's agitating for a move I'd be very disappointed having seen the club pay his wages and medical bills for the last two years.

Edited by AK

JR seems to have lost that explosive pace he had over 10-20 yards since his injury. Whether that is due to injury or confidence in his body I don't know.

10m quid would seem slightly cheap but try to look how he is playing now, and not how he played before the injury. Its a shame really as was quality then and even linked with big money moves away at the time.

Before Austin got injured quite a few posters were happy to get rid of Jrod. I'd be inclined to keep him, play him see if his form improves, and then decide on his future in the summer depending on how he has done. I can see him going though if we have this new bloke from Italy, Long and Jrod and now only one game a week two of them are going to be unhappy with their game time.

Before Austin got injured quite a few posters were happy to get rid of Jrod. I'd be inclined to keep him, play him see if his form improves, and then decide on his future in the summer depending on how he has done. I can see him going though if we have this new bloke from Italy, Long and Jrod and now only one game a week two of them are going to be unhappy with their game time.

maybe Gabbiadini is the J-Rod replacement? I feel massively sorry for him, but I fear he may never recover from his injury. I fail to see how he is worth so much, his good season was 2013-14, quite a while ago. To be honest, if he went to West Brom today I really can't see him scoring many. And in a years time we will be saying we were right to get rid.

It's a bit risky, but it looks like we will be ok to avoid relegation, and we can use Long for the EFL final, who I don't feel is any better/worse than J-Rod.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

His dad comes across as a right prat in twitter exchange with Adam blackmore

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Having just picked my way through those tweets last night it seems the conclusion is, from his Dad at least, that Jay is going no where. His tweeting of the rumour seems to be just an endorsement that his son is wanted. A bit of family PR. Or maybe I misunderstood it. Poxy Twitter.

We are ridiculously short of goals so would be crazy to sell a striker even if we are bringing one in. We have a lot of injuries - we're another injury short of a bit of a crisis up front (like we are at the back).

Seems very arrogant of J-Rod to be pushing for a move when we helped rehabilitate him for 2 years, gave him a new massive contract during that time and have got a goal for god knows how many hundreds of thousands of pounds we've paid him. He wasn't playing previously because he looked poor and well off the pace in the early games of the season, and we had a striker scoring goals.

Has looked better (and much fitter) recently and is hence getting games. He's still being rotated as he has tired near the end of games and we need to manage his fitness as he'll hopefully keep getting fitter and stronger. Would be a shame if he left but you never know in football I suppose.