Rodriguez Joins WBA - Official

beowulf

That rather depends if King is going to be there next season. Reports of Spurs sniffing around, although today....https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3933171/tottenham-transfer-news-josh-king-harry-kane-bournemouth-everton/ but then he might well be 2nd fiddle at B'mouth.

Well it works whichever way (except one) you look at it: Either King leaves, and Defoe is his replacement. Or King stays and Defoe plays instead of him. Or King stays and Defoe sits on the bench. They're not adding 15 goals to their side in any of those scenarios. Of course it's good to have back up strikers who can score, as we know all too well.

If they both play, then there's more of a case. However, when I read a Bournemouth forum last season (admittedly, before King went on his amazing run), most were criticising Howe saying that Wilson shouldn't be playing and that King is excellent when played through the middle but significantly worse when played out wide. If that is correct, then the only way of getting both of them in the side is to play them both through the middle, which may compromise the team's shape etc.

While he may well score a few, I do love this guarantee that seems to be in place.

You know I wasn't in anyway being serious?

Taking p1ss out of the cliched nonsense spouted by pundits and posters alike.

Best wishes to J-Rod for his future. If only he could have netted in Milan he'd have crowned his career perfectly with us. Like others have said he never really recovered his form after his injury (maybe he didn't get enough game time to do that, but I think he did) and both he and we needed to move on. thanks J-Rod!

Gabbiadini is better then all of them and if you only play 1 up top that's all that matters.

Exactly. Manolo is better than the lot of them.

I know that (or presumed it was not least because of the 30 goal bit), but I was tapping away on my mobile while having a bath, so am too old to be able to write longish posts. The radio commentators (yes, I ask why I bother listening to talkSport) were going on about him guaranteeing goals, and that was what I was eluding to.

I'd hazard a guess that if Bournemouth had signed Austin, the media would be raving about them signing a player that could guarantee them goals. Some players just have that tagline due to past exploits. I've always liked Defoe as a striker and feel he should have been given a better shot with England, but he's ageing now.

Out of interest would you rather have: Defoe, King, Wilson, Afobe or Gabbi, Austin, Long, Gallagher?

Think probably Bournemouth edge in terms of striker options which is interesting.

I'd take our striking options any day. A great complement of Class, Natural finishing, Pace and Height. And that's before we sign anyone else. (Such as the rumoured Iheanacho, which would be a massive statement of intent, although I still feel that'd be unlikely.)

When he scores a few, I look forward to the thread saying we should have kept him.

Whatever happens, it was time to go. He needs a fresh start and if he rediscovers his form, that's not to say it would have happened here. If he stayed I think he'd be looking at a handful of appearances at most, not even making the bench in a few league games if Gabbiadini, Austin, Long and Gallagher are all fit.

Surprised the price was so high, I know fees are crazy these days but he's looked painfully slow since his injury.

Fair summary, which I agree with.

Under the right management, I'm sure he'll find some of his old form and score enough goals to warrant the price tag, but in reality only 1 manager only managed to really get anything out of him.

No longer good enough for us, but good luck for the future, Jay. A decent bloke who's had terrible luck of the past couple of years.

I wanted him to recover and play well for Saints but he never played as well and seemed to develop an attitude ( that may just be his family) even so I would like to see him do well at WBA but won't hold my breath due to their managers style of play !!

Never saw the attitude but wish him well. A fresh challenge will do him good.

Like everyone else, I enjoyed watching him in full flow down that left hand side, but after the injury, without that extra yard of pace, he never was able to replicate that great form. I have seen lots of people pointing to the fact that, given a run, he would regain his fitness and possibly shine, but Id argue that he was back to full fitness and just didn't have that cutting edge pace anymore. Hope he doesn't do a SKP and score against us every time we visit the Hawthorns.

Edited by Chez

Like everyone else, I enjoyed watching him in full flow down that left hand side, but after the injury, without that extra yard of pace, he never was able to replicate that great form. I have seen lots of people pointing to the fact that, given a run, he would regain his fitness and possibly shine, but Id argue that he was back to full fitness and just didn't have that cutting edge pace anymore. Hope he doesn't do a SKP and score against us every time we visit the Hawthorns.

Edited by Chez

Jay got 5 premier league goals in 24 games last season, or 5 in 881 minutes (approx 9.5 games) which ever way you view the statistics. I always felt the opinions of fans were swayed by his huge number of substitute appearances in games which were usually decided by the time he was brought on. When he was actually allowed to start and played in a central role he has shown he still has fantastic movement off the ball and can provide goals/assists (gabbiadinis vs west ham was quality). West Broms scouting deaprtment have done a real job here - all the best jay :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
Jay got 5 premier league goals in 24 games last season, or 5 in 881 minutes (approx 9.5 games) which ever way you view the statistics. I always felt the opinions of fans were swayed by his huge number of substitute appearances in games which were usually decided by the time he was brought on. When he was actually allowed to start and played in a central role he has shown he still has fantastic movement off the ball and can provide goals/assists (gabbiadinis vs west ham was quality). West Broms scouting deaprtment have done a real job here - all the best jay :thumbup:

Agreed.

If he was given game time he could have settled into our best attacking outlet. Sadly we weren't prepared to take the risk. I hope he gets, and takes, that chance against west brom. (Just not against us). Was a terrible injury that struck down a great player in his prime.

Because he scored in a meaningless friendly in Asia?

FFS.

I really wish Jay well and hope he revives his career at WBA (but not score against us). However, he did score a similarly superb goal in a home pre-season friendly in RK's second season (can't remember the opposition I'm afraid) which sadly created an excited thread on here, proving a false dawn. If he does revive his form, fair play to him but the change of environment probably did it and not Les Reed's fault. Playing under Puel last season as an attacking player last season must have been sapping - Long when fit should do better, look at Gabbi when he arrived Vs the end of the season. Glad for Gallagher's sake as well we've changed it.

Boufal strikes the ball well from distance. Hopefully see more of that this season.

Quite - he'll still have some off days but expecting a much better season and he should be encouraged to take long range shots. Some of them will go in Row Z, even the best do, but if he scores 3 or 4 like the Sunderland and Boro goals it'll help his confidence as well as the goal tally from midfield.

Trouble is he will then miss a sitter from 6 yards. Would rather have strikers more reliable in the box than scoring the odd 25 yarder once or twice a season.

You are talking about Long. Jrod seldomly missed a sitter.

You are talking about Long. Jrod seldomly missed a sitter.

He was playing like a defender on the oppositions goal line for matches last year! I remember him missing about 4 of the easiest chances you could dream of last year. Think one match he even managed it twice... Yes, he did score a couple of good goals (notably against Bournemouth which was either just after or a match after he missed a sitter), but to say he seldomly missed sitters is like erasing half of last season from memory!

If he scores more than our strikers, then good on him. He wouldn't have likely have done so if staying with us. For once, the player's future has been taken into account, so good on him if he can. Would you rather we kept him warming tge bench?

• 1 month later...