Ralph Krueger; "The most interesting man in the world".

Polaroid Saint

And another story which I found a good read. I like the fact we have him as Chairman.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/coach-kruegers-strange-journey-to-team-europe-in-the-hockey-world-cup/article31939343/

It seems that he directly captured the Under Armour deal and he clearly is passionate about bringing through the academy players.

Bit of an odd World Cup to have Europe as a team, isn't it?

Really odd. Czech Republic have a team, as do Sweden and Russia. Then Canada and USA have theirs, PLUS 'Team North America'?!?! Which is what, without US and Canada, I don't know! But then this is the same mentality that brings us the 'world series' in Baseball.

Good sport to watch though (Ice Hockey, not Baseball which I have yet to give any time to).

Really odd. Czech Republic have a team, as do Sweden and Russia. Then Canada and USA have theirs, PLUS 'Team North America'?!?! Which is what, without US and Canada, I don't know! But then this is the same mentality that brings us the 'world series' in Baseball.

Good sport to watch though (Ice Hockey, not Baseball which I have yet to give any time to).

The World Cup of Hockey is for players in the NHL only (though I note there are about half dozen exceptions). The Ice Hockey World Championship is the real world international championship where teams like Sweden and Russia have all their domestic players as well. I see in the Mail today (reported on BBC Gossip) that apparently we won't see Ralph at St Mary's for some time, they didn't realise that he has already been gone for a few weeks, as the teams also play pre-tournament warm up games which they completed yesterday as far as I can see.

Hockey and Football are my preferred sports - This 'World Cup' is more of a showcase/preseason tournament for the best players in the world rather than a serious world cup (The best players don't tend to compete at the world championships).

Team Europe exists because there are a few decent players scattered around Europe whose nations aren't good enough to compete with the big teams, so they created Team Europe.

Team North America, in case you are interested, is made up of players from Canada and North America who are under 23, of which there are quite a few damn good players.

But yeah, more of a showcase than anything, but pretty big for Ralph who is well respected within the hockey world. Will be super to watch.

The World Cup of Hockey is a big, huge gimmicky, steaming pile of nonsense pre-season tournament, presumably intended by the NHL to replace participation by NHL players in the Olympics. Since Nagano, the Olympics has been hockey's only best-on-best international tournament. Canada won three of them. I only make that point because having moved to Canada from England, it is nice to live in a country that is actually good at its national sport.

Ralph did well coaching an under-talented Swiss team that beat Canada in Torino. He has some good players so his team may do OK. I lost interest when I learned that Team Canada had to donate all its good U23 players to team North America, including MacDavid (known as MacJesus here in Edmonton). Bah.

Never heard the name Martin Semmens before. Seems like he's the founder of something called Elvis Communications.

Apparently joined in May 2014, mentioned in this article about Ralph saying we don't need to sell our top talents (LOL):

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9330275/transfer-news-southampton-have-no-need-to-cash-in-on-top-talents

Whether he actually works for Southampton or his consultancy is contracted to us is another matter, but he has been around the scene for a couple of years or so.

Ralph Krueger as nice as he may/maynot be, should not be our chairman, think everyone in the country thinks we can do better, our chairman role seems almost a made up role so he could be employed, what does he actually do? other than cringeworthy motivational talks? how he got the job is anyones guess obviously good friends with Kat.

Ralph Krueger as nice as he may/maynot be, should not be our chairman, think everyone in the country thinks we can do better, our chairman role seems almost a made up role so he could be employed, what does he actually do? other than cringeworthy motivational talks? how he got the job is anyones guess obviously good friends with Kat.

.... and so speaks everyone in the countrys spokesperson on chairman affairs ... an interesting and informed post, keep up the good work

"World Series" was the national championship sponsored by the World newspaper. Nothing to do with champions of the World.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

For those of us following Ralph's progress at the World Cup, Team Europe beat the Czech Republic 3-2 in overtime this afternoon thanks to a goal by Germany's Leon Draisaitl. That pretty much puts Ralph's team into the semis. They were full value for the win, as well but by way of comparison Canada victimized the Czechs 6-0 on the weekend.

"World Series" was the national championship sponsored by the World newspaper. Nothing to do with champions of the World.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

That's a well known urban myth. The World Series was never sponsored by any newspaper called The World.

They've been described as a team with no past and no future, and to his credit Ralph has coached them into the World Cup final. Team Europe surprised Sweden 3-2 in OT today. Their reward is a three game final against Canada, who have not lost in a best on best tournament since the group portion of the 2010 Winter Olympics. I'd wish Ralph good luck, but I'm Canadian.

Still, for those of us who like to make fun of him for his lack of background in football, Ralph knows what he's doing when it comes to international hockey. He has his work cut out for him next, but stranger things have happened in sport...

That's a well known urban myth. The World Series was never sponsored by any newspaper called The World.

It's sad but true, they really do mean the winners are world champions, just as every tin pot business is world famous and every town is the world capital of whatever it is they think they are famous for........it really is quite embarrassing.

It's sad but true, they really do mean the winners are world champions, just as every tin pot business is world famous and every town is the world capital of whatever it is they think they are famous for........it really is quite embarrassing.

Reminds me of Elf, when he congratulates a cafe on having the world's best cup of coffee.

As the hype machine attempts to build up the upcoming World Cup final between Canada and eight European countries that have literally never played together until this month, here are a few articles from the N. American press about Team Europe's Canadian coach, Ralph Krueger (he's from Manitoba, by the way)...

Ralph talks about his Saints future: NBC sports

Ralph is team Europe's "secret weapon"

I've had one of those days so hopefully I didn't screw up the hyperlinks....

Ralph's side lost 3-1 to a drowsy-looking Canadian team tonight. Game 2 goes on Thursday night. At one point the hockey commentators on the CBC (probably bored because it was a lousy game) talked about "soccer" and the "Southampton Saints." They showed shots of Saints' team-building exercise from a few years ago in Switzerland. I was not expecting to see JWP on my TV tonight. Apparently it was part of a good-luck message that the team did for Ralph.

Man that game sucked. It was like an exhibition game, no passion. Canada could hardly be bothered. Can't blame them as it's not a rivalry or grudge match like against USA or Russia. I don't think the organizers thought this through and just assumed the final would be Can vs Russia or USA.

Well, that was a little hard on Ralph and Team Europe. They played almost a perfect shut-down game against Canada, nursed a lead through most of the game but lost it on two very late goals. Canada took the game 2-1, and the series 2-0. Ralph is coming back to Southampton with a significantly burnished reputation in international hockey.

Well, that was a little hard on Ralph and Team Europe. They played almost a perfect shut-down game against Canada, nursed a lead through most of the game but lost it on two very late goals. Canada took the game 2-1, and the series 2-0. Ralph is coming back to Southampton with a significantly burnished reputation in international hockey.

I thought Team Europe were awesome and felt sure that it would go to Game 3 - but Price came up big for Canada (which pleases me as a Canadiens fan). Krueger appears to have severely enhanced his rep across the pond - I wonder if his next job is as a GM??

I thought Team Europe were awesome and felt sure that it would go to Game 3 - but Price came up big for Canada (which pleases me as a Canadiens fan). Krueger appears to have severely enhanced his rep across the pond - I wonder if his next job is as a GM??

I too thought that Game 3 was inevitable, but was not really looking forward to it. Canada looked drowsy again and the hockey was so boring to watch again, except for the last 3 minutes, which were great. ;)

Ralph looked miserable at the end- I felt sorry for him. His team deserved better. I'm working on the theory that Team Europe lulled Canada into a stupor by piping recordings of Puel's English language interviews into the Canadian changing room during the pre-game.

I too thought that Game 3 was inevitable, but was not really looking forward to it. Canada looked drowsy again and the hockey was so boring to watch again, except for the last 3 minutes, which were great. ;)

Ralph looked miserable at the end- I felt sorry for him. His team deserved better. I'm working on the theory that Team Europe lulled Canada into a stupor by piping recordings of Puel's English language interviews into the Canadian changing room during the pre-game.

Maybe they piped one of Kruger's so called motivational speeches, in my view they are far more soporific than a Puel presser.

• 3 months later...