Saints beat Crystal Palace 2-0 in EFL Cup. Sunderland at home next

Hamilton Saint

MOTM v Palace  

218 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM v Palace

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/14756791.Puel_defends_Long_after_Pardew_comments/?ref=rss

What on earth is Pardew on about? About a stonewall a penalty as you can get.

Saving face they were terrible and shocking tactics by them. Against our side so small would have gone route one but they kept drilling in low !

Pardew has lost the plot and way at Palace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 wins.

3 clean sheets.

Full squad utilised.

Meltdown averted.

Saints Sash shirt purchased whilst back in UK, it has made 3 appearances on return to Dubai .....

3 wins.

3 clean sheets.

Full squad utilised.

Meltdown averted.

You can all thank me with donations of beer at Leicester, Milan or Everton away ;)

Couldn't watch the game from here but saw the goals. From the poll, it looks like Hesketh was undoubtedly MOM. Good for him. Well taken goal. Other youngsters too, taking their chances. Bodes well for the future. Where was JRod? If his injury was only slight, wouldn't this had been an ideal comeback game? Hmm....!

20/10 Thur - Inter (a)

23/10 Sun - City (a)

26/10 Wed - Sunderland (h)

30/10 Sun - Chelsea (h)

3/11 Thur - Inter (h)

can only imagine what that line up for the Sunderland match will be like.

If we're going to imagine - how about Boufal plays and gets a hat trick.

Extended highlights are on YouTube here:

I know that it's only highlights but Hesketh really looked good. His no-look pass to let in Austin caused me to swear loudly in front of my children.

Thanks for this. Agree Hesketh looked good. Not out of his depth at all. I remember him starting a PL game, at the end of 2014 I think, and looking good but was then forced off injured. Taken this much time for him to be given another chance with the first team. Hope he continues to be involved.

20/10 Thur - Inter (a)

23/10 Sun - City (a)

26/10 Wed - Sunderland (h)

30/10 Sun - Chelsea (h)

3/11 Thur - Inter (h)

can only imagine what that line up for the Sunderland match will be like.

I'd play the weakest team for City (a). It follows an away Euro game and it's one where we're less likely to get anything.

The most import thing about the Sunderland game is that it's at home. Just imagine trips to Milan, Manchester and Sunderland in 8 days. And would have been the ultimate transition from sublime to awful. ?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Ssshhhh.... you'll annoy Fitzhugh Fella....

And now for an amusing gif... :toppa:

mR8KEcd.jpg

He was just reminding you why he was such a successful negotiator back in the old days when dinosaurs still roamed the world's airports ruining holidays for a living.

Good result .....although 3-0 or 4-0 wouldn't have been unjust. It might be argued that it wasn't Palace's strongest side , but it wasn't ours either.

Only Fonte as a "regular" in the defence, but we looked solid at the back and we started the game with 4 Academy products.. (and had another 2 on the bench).

Martina is looking very stable, and must feel that he is at least equal to Cedric on a good day. Yoshida looks better as a genuine CB than he does in his emergency RB role.

Very lightweight (and relatively short) midfield, but who nevertheless exploited Palace's weaknesses. Both JWP and Clasie showed up more, but despite his tough-tackling - it wasn't Reed's best appearance and he did misplace a few passes but Targett looked a safe alternative for Bertrand - even though he doesn't have his experience..

Charlie Austin hits penalties so casually you'd think it was a pre-match kick-about..(shades of MLT)...but WHEN is Shane Long going to score?....

The thought of Redmond coming on - with his speed - must have been a nightmare for Palace's tiring legs, but he must also start getting goals - and SOON.

Have left a separate paragraph for Jake Hesketh, who was clearly MoM by a mile, and that doesn't denegrate the efforts of the others. Young Jake showed a confidence beyond his years and took his chance well when Long's shot was parried by Hennessey.

He is unlikely to become " a bench player " overnight, but we can be fairly sure that he'll show up in a lot more games in the future.

Altogether a satisfying result. ..now onto Sunderland in the last 16. We know that 8-0 blitzing was an one-off, but Sunderland are increasingly becoming a difficult team to overcome and it's about time we had another goal feast against them to put that "bogey" to bed once and for all......and move on.

Edited by david in sweden

For me Jake Hesketh was the catalyst for so many good moments, moving forward but we shouldn't ignore the platform that JWP, Reed and Clasie gave him. Their tenacity, closing down and swift movement of the ball was a joy to watch. If anyone has been watching Man City this season, so far, most of their forward play has been all one touch stuff and incisive. It also seems that we seem to be finding Charlie Austin in the best areas for him and Long doing what he does best from slightly wider areas. With better finishing that would have been embarrassing for Pardew.

Clasie is one of the quiet forces in this team. He isn't one to gain the spotlight during a game, and people mainly seem to notice those few wasted passes, but he reads the play well and works tirelessly until he's completely worn out. If he manages to further improve his longer distance passing and physical strenght (as far as possible) he'll be unmissable soon enough.

Another excellent result. Poor team or no you can only beat what is in front of you. My only concern now is what are the Usual Suspects going to have to moan about, bless them. Funny that they all disappear when things are going well.

3 wins in a week with no goals conceded, what`s not to like?

However these missing "suspects" are gathering to try find something

Another excellent result. Poor team or no you can only beat what is in front of you. My only concern now is what are the Usual Suspects going to have to moan about, bless them. Funny that they all disappear when things are going well.

They're a bit busy, it's their AGM tonight.

Clasie is one of the quiet forces in this team. He isn't one to gain the spotlight during a game, and people mainly seem to notice those few wasted passes, but he reads the play well and works tirelessly until he's completely worn out. If he manages to further improve his longer distance passing and physical strenght (as far as possible) he'll be unmissable soon enough.

Interesting view on Claisie

I thought he was poor last night and it is disappointing to me that he has yet to justify his £8m or so price tag.

His performances so far have been average at best, in my opinion.

Agreed Dutchie. He's benefiting from his first season in the EPL which many players need. He suits the systems that Puel plays more so than Ron K used to as well.

It wasnt Palace's best team, but four of their best players (Dann, Cabaye, Benteke and Zaha, i'm only excluding Townsend as possibly in with that bunch) all played part of the match whereas we left out Van Dijk, Bertrand, Forster ?(and Boufal!!) completely.

Difference is we've got strong youth team players to call up, whereas Palace dont.

Interesting view on Claisie

I thought he was poor last night and it is disappointing to me that he has yet to justify his £8m or so price tag.

His performances so far have been average at best, in my opinion.

I'm a bit mixed on Clasie but his £8 million price tag actually seems quite cheap in context. When you have Jeff Hendrick (sp?), Ryan Mason, Shelvey going for more it shows we continue to find value through our continental recruitment.

Martina has been pretty good over the last few games - wonder if they will extend him shortly since his contract is up in the summer.

Decent Squad player and Pied won't be playing again this season. I imagine it will be pretty easy to sell him on to a 20th - 15th prem club as well if we needed to shift him in a year or two.

Obviously sign up the new Iniesta as well.

Anyone notice Long's reaction when Hesketh scored? Still smarting from his own missed chance, which is partly understandable, but strange that he gave up on the play - what if the ball had been deflected back to him again?

I think Long is just frustrated right now nothing is going his way in front of goal. Still if he keeps getting in those positions the goals will come. Even with out the goals he is still bringing plenty to the team.

Anyone notice Long's reaction when Hesketh scored? Still smarting from his own missed chance, which is partly understandable, but strange that he gave up on the play - what if the ball had been deflected back to him again?

I noticed this - understand he is frustrated that he missed (again), but to have your back to play kicking a goalpost, when the ball is still alive is pretty poor.

When this fixture was announced I really could not get enthused about it. After the last 2 games I felt strangely drawn to going last night, to the point where I got home and said who fancies going to football tonight. Daughter said yes Wife no (early start) I think more than anything I was curious to see the hand dealt after another shuffle of the pack by Claude. Strangely I have not felt the slightest bit uneasy on hearing the team selection for the last 3 games.

I know one Swallow and all that, but something must be going right behind the hedges at Staplewood as so far no matter who is on the pitch overall it seems pretty seamless.

This line that keeps popping up that "xyz team were awful", and "you can only play what is in front of you", has to stop as quite honestly I think it's us just not letting the other team play comfortably. There was a moment last night when we had the ball just outside the Palace box, they had players back behind the ball and we were just passing around to each other, not one Palace player immediately made to get the ball off us, almost through fear of their move being the one to create the hole for us to get through on goal with.

Pleased for young Jake, nice strike to open his account with. Harry Reed going into Jack Russell/Rottweiler cross mode and getting right under the skin of Cabeye after finding himself on his backside, was amusing

Jordie Ckassie must have felt like a giant next to the ref!!

Pleased we decided to go, looking forward to Sunday now to see what the next shuffle of the pack brings.

Finally: We got tickets in the Northam last night just for a change, it was most pleasant being in the noisy end and especially hearing folks trying to get the Floating Bridge song going. But I won't mind returning to the gentile surroundings of the Chapel where I can sit and get into the game without "please take your seats now Ladies and Gentlemen" in your ear every 2 minutes breaking the focus on the game.

Worst thing I've ever heard at St Mary's last night from the Itchen North.. Copied that sh*t Arsenal song. "What do we think of Palace? ****. What do we think of ****? Palace.. We hate Palace and we hate Palace.."

I want to put it down to the large amount of teenage kids in the ground trying too hard to have bantz but it was embarrassing. Palace are a nothing club similar to Watford and Reading.

I wondered whether he wasn't sure if a deflection off a saints player might have come off the keepers clearance and was trying to get in a position where he wasn't interfering with play to avoid offside? I'll have to watch it again, but that was my take on it earlier.

Thought we were very good, albeit completely untested. Difficult to understate just how awful Palace were, but you can only beat what's in front of you. Was a bit concerned about the midfield four before the game as it looked like the smallest midfield in professional football history, but credit to all of them, they all played very well.

Martina very good again, and good to see Targett finally look like he's got a bit of confidence to run at the opposition.

I picked Martina for my MoM, effective going forward and when needed to defend, but nothing's likely to overcome the emotional power of a weedy-looking kid slapping in a rebound and getting hugged by his mates whilst Shane Long kicks the post in annoyance, even if he didn't do much (nor need to do much) apart from that. :D

I wondered whether he wasn't sure if a deflection off a saints player might have come off the keepers clearance and was trying to get in a position where he wasn't interfering with play to avoid offside? I'll have to watch it again, but that was my take on it earlier.

He was actively kicking the goalpost in frustration with his back turned to the goal when the ball went in. They showed it in detail on Football on 5's EFL Cup coverage last night. He was smiling soon after though.

JWP's through ball to him was very nice, if possibly half an inch behind him.

without "please take your seats now Ladies and Gentlemen" in your ear every 2 minutes breaking the focus on the game.

I can assure you that for most games in the Northam they don't even attempt to do this - though they did get as far as Row L on Sunday. I'm in Row S and haven't been asked to sit down at a match in over 2 years - they had different stewards in there on Sunday, which probably explains it.

I did wonder about the offside argument, but he doesn't (at least initially, camera cuts away soon after) even celebrate the goal, so think it was more frustration at not scoring than anything else.