Be'er Sheva vs Saints

Lighthouse

Is this the furthest from Southampton we've ever played a competitive game? Anyway, a draw would keep us top of the table and you will go a long way in Europe not losing your away games.

With that in mind I'd start Long ahead of Austin, and give the latter a breather ahead of Leicester on Sunday. Rotate the midfield.

Forster

Martina - Yoshi - Virgil - Bertrand

Romeu

JWP - Clasie

Hesketh

Redmond - Long

Right.

These are the toughest games of the season imho, I would be well pleased with a point.

I think people severely underrate teams like Be'er Sheva, this is not some random mid-table from who knows where, most likely they are the previous champions of their own league. Theirs might not be as good as the bigger European leagues, but certainly if they managed to beat 19 other teams to it they are a lot better than out-of-form West Ham or Swansea City lingering in the at the bottom of the table.

Also, Sparta apparently rotated heavily and that's why they were such a shambles. If these guys take this competition seriously, which they apparently do as they just beat Inter Milan at San Siro 2-0, then we absolutely cannot afford to be too arrogant with our lineup. They're not unbeatable, but they deserve the same respect as at least another PL club would get. That's all, go on Saints.

This is quite a tricky one as the Leicester game is very close to it.

I think we should switch out both full-backs, as they both covered big ground on Sunday.

I think we will keep one of the centre-backs in. I'm assuming we won't opt for Reed or Hesketh in this match as starters so Clasie & JWP will feature.

I've kept Romeu / Tadic in & opted for Redmond & Long up top:

-----------Forster-----------

Martina Yoshida Virgil Targett

------------Romeu-----------

--------Clasie---JWP---------

-----------Tadic-------------

-------Long-----Redmond------

Tough ask, especially with the champions away next up.

Forster, Martina, Targett, Yoshida, Clasie, JWP & Long to definitely start.

Wouldn't mind Hesketh being given another run out in place of Tadic. Start Romeu as well, as he'll have the international break as a rest period. Toss up between Fonte or VVD, would probably lean towards Fonte as think he needs the games.

Undecided on Austin... on the one hand he's in lethal form and seems silly not to try and keep the run going, but on the other don't want to burn him out. I'd probably start Redmond and try and hit them on the break.

Think we might be in for quite a shock here and would take a point if offered.

I'd be inclined to go with those who have the most international/European experience. I'm a big fan of Targett/JWP/Hesketh but I'm not sure I'd count on them to adapt well to the atmosphere

Why do you think the atmosphere at a 16,000 seater stadium in Israel will be harder for Targett & Ward-Prowse to cope with than some of the huge games and stadiums they've played at in the Premier League?

You never know in Europe (as Inter Milan found out), but we should really be comfortably better than Hapoel Be'er Sheva in all areas of the pitch. The level of league football they play week in, week out is a long way below the quality of the Premier League.

Whether or not the likes of Hesketh and Yoshi should be in our strongest team isn't really relevant. You can't expect players like Fonte and Tadic to start every League and EL game, they won't be able to maintain their best form.

I would take a fresh, motivated team over 'the best team on paper'. Just look at the Palace game and the team they put out.

Tough ask, especially with the champions away next up.

Forster, Martina, Targett, Yoshida, Clasie, JWP & Long to definitely start.

Wouldn't mind Hesketh being given another run out in place of Tadic. Start Romeu as well, as he'll have the international break as a rest period. Toss up between Fonte or VVD, would probably lean towards Fonte as think he needs the games.

Undecided on Austin... on the one hand he's in lethal form and seems silly not to try and keep the run going, but on the other don't want to burn him out. I'd probably start Redmond and try and hit them on the break.

Yes pretty much agree but I would have Tadic instead of Hesketh probably

Forster

Martina Yoshida VVD Targett

PEH

Clasie JWP

Hesketh

Long Jay-Rod (or is he out still, sorry not sure, if not then put Olomola on, screw it!)

Bench: Mccarthy, Cedric, Fonte (who comes on for VVD in second half), Romeu, Tadic, Redmond and Austin

Forster

Martina Yoshida VVD Targett

PEH

Clasie JWP

Hesketh

Long Jay-Rod (or is he out still, sorry not sure, if not then put Olomola on, screw it!)

Bench: Mccarthy, Cedric, Fonte (who comes on for VVD in second half), Romeu, Tadic, Redmond and Austin

This team for me but I would also leave a few of the first teamers in england so the dont have the travel weariness on sunday. Bench made up of under 23s

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

We should be the better team but the temperature at kick-off will likely be between 25 and 30 degrees with about 50% humidity. It will be a challenge for our players who will have had little time to acclimatise.

With another away game three days later I think we need to keep it fresh. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 or 9 changes to the team really.

--------------------------------------------Forster------------------------------------------------

Martina-----------------Yoshdia---------------------------VVD-----------------------Targett

--------------------------------------------Reed--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------JWP--------------------------Classie----------------------------------

------------------Isgrove-------------------Hesketh--------------------------Long---------------

Maybe something like that? Who knows. A win would set us up really nicely for qualification.

I think this fixture will be quite intense. The Be'er Sheva players and fans will be bubbling on the back of victory in the San Siro, it's a tight atmospheric stadium (so far removed from West Ham) and they're no doubt a very handy side. And sounds like they're quite up for a visit from a Premier League team, any kind of positive result here will be massive.

We should be the better team but the temperature at kick-off will likely be between 25 and 30 degrees with about 50% humidity. It will be a challenge for our players who will have had little time to acclimatise.

50% is pretty low, and a temp range between 25 to 30 will be pretty comfortable at that humidity.

Tough one . Ideally we want to bag another win early on, rather than leaving it late to qualify. We can't take them lightly at all, they beat Inter 2-0 away. Inter are 3rd in Serie A after 6 and unbeaten at home in the league (came 4th last season). We will need a very strong line up to beat Hapoel Beer Sheva, a lot of the teams posted so far I'd expect us to lose with away from home against them

For me it's essential we play Forster and the strongest back four bare minimum. Without knowing the condition of the players it's tough to make a proper judgement, but based on the fact this game isn't until Thursday I'd much prefer an unchanged side (same team as West Ham)..with players rested at the weekend instead of for this game. I'd like to see us try to get as far as we can in Europa, and seal qualification from the group early. That means putting our strongest team out and winning this game (or at worst avoiding defeat).

I think it's important to look at how they beat Inter too. They didn't just park the bus, they had 15 attempts on goal themselves playing an attacking system (3-4-3 played properly, by no means was it a back five). So if we put out a weakened team they will really take the game to us, and we will struggle with a weakened side and might wilt under the pressure. They were all over Celtic like a rash in the 2nd leg of the UCL qualification. 69% possession and 19 shots to 7. We can't take them lightly, or expect defeat.

Is it true that they've never lost in their current stadium? Thought I read that somewhere.

I read that as well, they certainly haven't lost at home this season or last season, including beating Olympiakos and Celtic.

No doubt about it this will be a tough match, I fear a game like Bournemouth away last season (in a similar stadium just with a much louder atmosphere) if we make too many changes. The weather won't be an issue, temperatures will drop to a comfortable level at night. I'm comfortable with Martina and Targett, both have played well when called upon already this season.

Very much looking forward to the adventure of getting there, Negrev desert here we come.

With another away game three days later I think we need to keep it fresh. I wouldn't be surprised to see 8 or 9 changes to the team really.

--------------------------------------------Forster------------------------------------------------

Martina-----------------Yoshdia---------------------------VVD-----------------------Targett

--------------------------------------------Reed--------------------------------------------------

--------------------------JWP--------------------------Classie----------------------------------

------------------Isgrove-------------------Hesketh--------------------------Long---------------

Maybe something like that? Who knows. A win would set us up really nicely for qualification.

This looks good for me except I'd sit Forster too. Bring on some subs in the second half if necessary, but lets not get tired for Leicester.

Is it true that they've never lost in their current stadium? Thought I read that somewhere.

Yes, they haven't lost at home since their new ground opened in September 2015 in a competitive game. They have won all three European fixtures they've had at home since their new stadium opened (and unbeaten in their own league).

This season in Europe (At home)

3-2 vs FC Sheriff

1-0 vs Olympiakos

2-0 vs Celtic

This season in League

2-1 vs Hapeol Raanana

3-0 vs Bnei Sakhnin

Another thing to note is their fixture list. No game until 15th October after the game against us, where as we have the game against Leicester before the international break. So they will be giving everything in the game against us.

Not meaning this as doom and gloom at all. The point is we probably need to put out a strong side for us to have a chance to beat them, or get a point.

Edited by FriendlySaint

Congrats benjii on being the first and only person so far to understand our recent upturn in form is based on the lack of diamonds and 4-3-3 formation

I watched a decent chunk of Hapoel v Inter and was not tremendously impressed with them, even if it was an incredible result; terrible defending for one goal and a very well-taken free kick for the other... they created chances but seemed disorganized at the back and were lucky to keep a clean sheet.

I tend to agree with the "Puel is keenly attuned to the players' energy levels" and I suspect we'll not be looking to beat them down the flanks. Personally I wouldn't mind Puel looking to slow the game and taking our chances from dead balls and corners won by Shane.

We have exactly two players "used" to long-distance fixtures and I'm pretty sure we'll see both.

purely with Leicester in mind, my preference would be:

Forster

Martina Yoshida VanDijk Bertrand

Romeu Reed

JWP Hesketh Davis

Long

bench: McCarthy Stephens Targett Hojberg Clasie Redmond Austin. Targett in at 60 unless we trail by a goal.

I seriously doubt Clasie sits though. I have worries about his composure and the whole "intimidating away ground" angle. I would rather see him play at Leicester in place of Oriol.

If we stick to the 4-4-2 i am hoping it will be with Long + Olomola behind Hesketh. Would be delighted to see Shane run himself into the ground here if it meant Austin and Redmond were fresh for Leicester.

Why do you think the atmosphere at a 16,000 seater stadium in Israel will be harder for Targett & Ward-Prowse to cope with than some of the huge games and stadiums they've played at in the Premier League?

You never know in Europe (as Inter Milan found out), but we should really be comfortably better than Hapoel Be'er Sheva in all areas of the pitch. The level of league football they play week in, week out is a long way below the quality of the Premier League.

Attendance does not always translate to atmosphere. Apparently there were 56,000 at West ham yesterday but it was a pretty 'friendly' environment for us to play in.

European away games are tough even in lesser footballing countries and if you look at their home record it's pretty formidable.

Congrats benjii on being the first and only person so far to understand our recent upturn in form is based on the lack of diamonds and 4-3-3 formation

Why has football attracted so many tactics and formation bores? Pseuds corner indeed.

Equivalent of striking up conversation with Fast Show character - 'are we going to win the cup?' with people banging on about it all the time.

Because there will probably actually be an atmosphere, unlike at most Premier League games?

Why has football attracted so many tactics and formation bores? Pseuds corner indeed.

Equivalent of striking up conversation with Fast Show character - 'are we going to win the cup?' with people banging on about it all the time.

I would imagine it's due to the importance of tactics and formation.

I hope none of our fans go there to try and make any political point.

When Celtic played there, fans were banned from bringing Palestine flags into the stadium anyway.

Totally agree. Heads should be firmly buried in the sand when it comes to sport.

Right.

I think people severely underrate teams like Be'er Sheva, this is not some random mid-table from who knows where, most likely they are the previous champions of their own league.

If these guys take this competition seriously, which they apparently do as they just beat Inter Milan at San Siro 2-0, then we absolutely cannot afford to be too arrogant with our lineup. They're not unbeatable, but they deserve the same respect as at least another PL club would get.

Exactly right. The fact they play in a poorer league means nothing. As top dogs, they're playing vital games all the time and probably play in domestic cup finals most years. Continual success, no matter the quality of the opponent, breeds a winning mentality which goes long way.

We might have better quality throughout the team but these guys know how to win games and the environment will be a bit alien to us. Not saying we should be worried, just prepared for a physically and mentally, tough encounter.

I still think we'll win, we're pretty resilient nowadays.

This is Hapoel Be'er Sheva we're talking about, they play in a poor Israeli football league, we are Southampton and last season we finished 6th in he best league in the world, we should be winning this and I think we will ;)

And they comfortably beat Internazionale away.