Eric Black named in Telegraph investigation

DuncanRG

Update from club - quite strong and I'd say 60/40 in blacks favour.

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-09-30/club-statement-eric-black

I think it's fair comment

I don't see why they can't give the club what they have on him, all very well slandering someone's name and the football club but not giving the club the appropriate content is bang out. Telegraph might want to be careful otherwise the club will go after them and have very deep pockets

I don't see why they can't give the club what they have on him, all very well slandering someone's name and the football club but not giving the club the appropriate content is bang out. Telegraph might want to be careful otherwise the club will go after them and have very deep pockets

Same with QPR - no additional information being provided despite 'a number of requests'.

The article says he continues to be an employee which would be the case if he were suspended. To me, the reason for that article was to put more public pressure on the Telegraph to release actual transcripts and details of the meeting, rather than maintain "full transparency" for the fan base. But take it as you please.

The article says he continues to be an employee which would be the case if he were suspended. To me, the reason for that article was to put more public pressure on the Telegraph to release actual transcripts and details of the meeting, rather than maintain "full transparency" for the fan base. But take it as you please.

Or it could just be the club being transparent to the public as to how things stand at the moment ..... why the cynicism ?

The article says he continues to be an employee which would be the case if he were suspended.

It may also have been drafted by club lawyers to try and negate any claim for constructive dismissal.

I don't doubt the statement was drafted by club lawyers but why would there be a claim for constructive dismissal if he hasn't been dismissed ?

Because they have nothing else on him. The Telegraph is looking more amateur by the day IMO.

Good statement by the club.

Due to Police involvement they wouldnt be in a position to hand over evidence because it might feature in court action. The flipside though will be any action against the telegraph for defamation or whatever. Then information will be made avaibale to Black lawyers.

Due to Police involvement they wouldnt be in a position to hand over evidence because it might feature in court action. The flipside though will be any action against the telegraph for defamation or whatever. Then information will be made avaibale to Black lawyers.

Just black? Seems a tad racist.

They could still hand the material over even if they had handed some or all to the police.

I think putting it on their front page is more likely to impact on legal process than sharing with his employer

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Do you really believe that Fat Sam & Black were whiter than white until the nasty press set them up .

The Telegraph were acting on information received . Information that will not stand up in a court , and will be one mans word against another . The set up a sting on certain people because they know these people are dodgy . The information they received has turned out to be right in the case of Black & Fat Sam. They are greedy , shady & dodgy . What have they got up to amongst close friends and off camera if they're like this with people they've just met .

No, I don't think they are whiter than white, but there is nothing in this sting operation that shows that he has done anything wrong at all. Like others he has been targeted because of his association with slimey agent and former Skate Scott McGarvey. They have met with as many of his close associates as possible in the hope that some mud will stick, as it has with the Barnsley manager already who has admitted taking a bung and been sacked. It just shows that some people who are in the game know the tricks to circumvent the rules. If Black has been involved in a dodgy deal or so then he deserves everything he gets, but from what has been published there is no evidence that he has. However, the old adage, no smoke without fire is particularly apt. I hope they weed out the slimeballs that have done such deals, but I suspect the real villains (no pun intended) will slip the net, while a few not too bright individuals will take the rap. We all believe Arry is as bent as they come but so far nothing has been pinned on him. Black has so far been proven only to be very stupid, nothing else, and this is why Saints may have a problem getting rid, they can probably only do what Derby have done with Pearson until there is further investigation by the FA or Black confesses to an actual wrong doing.

You watch the usual suspect in the media and football being shocked and stunned at this allegation lol

McClaren and Hoddle (both previously recruited by H Redknapp) will be all over it saying how it was all some innocent mistake and aren't the newspapers terrible.

No, I don't think they are whiter than white, but there is nothing in this sting operation that shows that he has done anything wrong at all.

So why did he go to the meeting? As a poor ex-ESL summer school teacher now retired (and in the way past a systems analyst) I'd be very suspicious if somebody wanted a meeting, although it would be a rare chance for a posh meal and some expensive wine. But what did Black hope to get out of it? He's probably busier than I am and expect more out of it too. On a first meeting with anyone you don't agree to anything, although you do try to impress people with your industry inside knowledge. The club have issued an anodyne statement, but it precludes nothing: offers an employee support until the facts are clear, just as it should. When the information is clear I'm not betting on any outcome, but I bet Black has a squeaky bum at the moment, and if he's as stupid as first appears, so he should.

For all you clowns thinking that Black did nothing wrong answer me this , if Dave Merrington was asked about bribing lower league managers , what would he have said ? Would he have talked about it , or would he hand called an end to the meeting them and there . It's no coincidence that it's Fat Sam & Redknapp again and Black is not some innocent caught up in this .

Blown up out of all proportion imo, a bit like the Express predicting the worse winter in history and we end up getting a dusting of snow that melts by mid day.

Nobody works at the Express anymore. All headlines generated by bots. 'Artic' 'treacherous' 'icy' 'fahrenheit' (readership don't really get Celsius). come to think of it that is for the weekly heatwave prediction in Summer.

House prices, statins good, statins bad, pensions, royals. And migrants eating children. And asparagus and a walk is good for you.

What's this all got to do with Black doing hardly anything wrong as far as I can be interested. Bored already.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is (seems) innocent. No one will worry about the detail just remember his face plastered on front page. Papers get up their own arses with these sort of stories. Got Allardyce but nothing riveting since. Players bet on their team to win game - wow hold the front page.

Jocks are always tight and want more cash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to an old firm game once, and couldn't believe how quiet and restrained the clapping was.

Then I realised I was in Scotland and they were all just trying to find a vein.

I assume by greedy you mean Black had extra pudding during the lunch meeting?

Of all those so far exposed by the Telegraph he is the only one who didn't ask for or was offered any money, no money changed hands at this meeting or at any other time. Black might be a giant plonker but greed he certainly doesn't appear to be.

How can you possibly know for certain no money changed hands at a later time? It might well have changed hands after the meeting, your not going to hand over a large sum of cash in the middle of a hotel

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

How can you possibly know for certain no money changed hands at a later time? It might well have changed hands after the meeting, your not going to hand over a large sum of cash in the middle of a hotel

What I mean is the telegraph may be holding out on the full story to sell more papers & maybe he did get filmed talking/accepting payment

If they had that on film, we'd have seen it by now. Just like they had with the Barnsley assistant. Where they had money changing hands in the middle of a hotel.

And, hate to explain this, but it's a newspaper sting, it's not real. There isn't a "later time".

The Eric Black story is over as far as the Telegraph are concerned as they have now moved on to the thin gruel of nothingness they managed to cobble together after a £500 meal with Harry Redknapp.

There is no proof of that though so we can only make comment on the Telegraph's earth shattering revelations not on stuff that might/might not have happened, from the Telegraph article

Mr McGarvey also raised the prospect of Mr Black identifying players for the Far East firm to approach, though no payment was offered to Mr Black. He said: “You know when you’re watching the games, Eric … and you think there’s a young kid who’s really good. You give me a name?”

Corruption of the highest level there....

One of the potentially most damaging outcomes of this whole wretched business will be the psychological impact on people who work with or around wrongly accused individuals. Smoke without fire, were they really totally innocent or just not proven guilty? Once mud is thrown some of it will stick; one of the calls that the club will need to make is whether that sort of collateral damage can be absorbed without impacting on team camaraderie and performance and of course the feelings of fans. Breakdown in trust and respect between players and coaching staff will inevitably destroy confidence and performance. At best there will be lingering doubts in many minds, why did the accused attend meetings in the first place?

It may be that even being linked with such a scandal is sufficient reason to cast irredemable doubts in the minds of those who must pass judgement. This is a nettle that must be grasped and a clear and transparent decision made. No fudging and no meek whitewash of events will convince the many sceptics.

I can't believe anyone is even remotely defending these douchebags. Black BFS Wright Redknapp all have been caught on camera talking about bending /breaking FA rules . They're in a meeting with a what they believe to be Far east syndicates, trying to make some money from the English game by at best underhanded means.Their greed and egos are what got them .****in em I say.i saw enough in the Black video to know I don't want him at our club.same for BFS I don't want him in charge of our national team.i hope they get bans.

I can't believe anyone is even remotely defending these douchebags. Black BFS Wright Redknapp all have been caught on camera talking about bending /breaking FA rules . They're in a meeting with a what they believe to be Far east syndicates, trying to make some money from the English game by at best underhanded means.Their greed and egos are what got them .****in em I say.i saw enough in the Black video to know I don't want him at our club.same for BFS I don't want him in charge of our national team.i hope they get bans.

Do you feel the same way about MLT who, I believe, admitted to trying to kick the ball out for a throw in as he had money on the time of the first throw in? Or is it just people you don't happen to like

?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I must admit, I'm with the club on this one. The film of Black was so heavily edited that its not really obvious what answers he'd given to what question. It doesn't look great but if that's the only evidence of wrongdoing and Black has given his side of the story to the club, then they're right to stand by him until the whole evidence comes to light. The way this Telegraph expose is panning out, I suspect things aren't as bad as the snippets of film released suggest.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Pino Pagliara, one of the agents filmed by the Telegraph is reported by the BBC news website as trying to withdraw some of his claims. In response the Telegraph has said that the transcripts of their investigations are currently being prepared for the police and the FA. Whilst that makes it sound as if the evidence is being handed over, it doesn't quite ring true that only now are they documenting what the paper claims was being said. Perhaps they should have done that before going to print. Transcripts can be edited or embellished, but it seems likely the authorities will want the raw evidence.

The Telegraph may have shown their targets having little or no respect for the rules on player ownership and transfers but whether they have uncovered any criminal activity is another thing. Offering advice on how to get around the rules has been enough for Allardyce and Tommy Wright to be sacked, while we wait to see whether Eric Black's situation is less serious or not.

To clean up the game, it's not appropriate for people in football management to condone corrupt practices, even if they don't take personal benefit. How far Eric Black went down that road is the question still to be answered.

without seeing / hearing the entire, unedited interview.... no-one can (or should) make a judgment on this type of " sensational " journalism.

The small clip of the Black interview may seem damning, but do we hear what the previous questions were ?...or indeed if the clip was the answer to an obvious question.

If these cases ever go to court, or a tribunal of sorts...it'll become reminiscent of the "Watergate Tapes" scandal (for those of us old enough to recall that fiasco).